Author Topic: DEN of THIEVES :- Homage to Michael MANN?  (Read 1411 times)

Offline YANG

• Trade Count: (0)
  • I'm a llama!
DEN of THIEVES :- Homage to Michael MANN?
« on: February 08, 2018, 00:08 »
When it comes to a movie theme that consists of Police and Thieves, Bank Heists, grand scale Urban/Street shoot outs, throw in a little drama on key characters... what kind of impression will you have? The first few titles that comes into my mind, are those directed by Michael MANN... the master in urban grand scale crime movies... and immediately i can name 3 oredi, PUBLIC ENEMY, MIAMI VICE as well as the ultimate crime flick of all... HEAT.

DEN of THIEVES basically in summary, pays homage to the 3 mentioned above with little dramas kicked in. Not too boringly elaborated, but perhaps not too romantically naggy compared to Michael MANN works.

In a way like HEAT, being in the "+ve force" one must act like "-ve force" to think, and analyze so to bust crimes. So we're introduced to a foul-mouth, don't follow SOP, guailan-kia Major Crime head played by Gerard Butler who do things in his hooligan way.
On the "-ve force" bandits side, lead by "systematic", "disciplined", "analy-tic" and "no nonsense killing" head played by Pablo Schreiber(13hrs Soldiers of Bengazi).
Both characters hv kind of "respect" to each other guts...... that brings me to HEAT again. But unlike Michael MANN's "romantic acquaintance(can meet face to face liao jio jiak kopi, have lengthly talk... quite romantic lo...)", when both character in DoT met, i see sparks that's going to blow up the tension between +ve and -ve force. The eye to eye exchange... hv hidden messages between the 2 lead characters, very typical of sending hidden message machiam "look at me longer, i'll wack ur backside!"
Very typical "police vs bandits" plot... yet... one wouldn't expect surprising ending. Only those who're good on mathematics and professionally in the "human resource" field, will break the hidden code of "twist in plot" that eventually surprise the viewer...

Sound:
In the beginning of the film, hometheater buffs like me will mark this title down into their "to hoot" video lists which will sure give their home setup a workout. The night scene is good for directional effects and the level of bass that one can set to his home environment level... not to cause disturbance to neighbors.
Comparing the night shootout to day time street fight, day time effects mix seems to be much frontal and little directional. I was watching this in GV CitySquare hall 5, i couldn't feel helicopters flying above my head... but rather bullets hitting stuffs at my side... but not back. There's no way to tell i'm watching the movie presented in DD.EX or DTS.ES or "more" channel mix...like ATMOS.
However, if i'm to compare this to Michael MANN's works, HEAT, Public Enemy, as well as MIAMI VICE have "grander soundstage" because of the presence of other elements influences. DoT sounds alot more like shootouts in a controlled range.
Good or not is up to individuals, personally i give it a 7/10.

Visuals:-
The movie portrays L.A. as the city with most heist. And L.A. ...situated in the sunny side of America. Every day scenes seems too... egg yolk-y sunny that i can't determine the crimes happened during sunny sun-rise morning or sun-down late noon. The night shootout part is the only best i've seen that can use as demo/calibrating material to adjust one's home visual setup. Natural and Detail.
Picture score... 7/10

As much as i try to like the presentation qualities, the story seems a little... not clear enough. When compared to Michael MANN works, there are bonds between members of each loggerhead forces, but DoT seems a little weakened. Overall, i personally wouldn't classify this into ACTION+CRIME+DRAMA category even though there are little moments that part of the story tries to jerk a sympathy drop of tears from the manly you...

ACTION yes.
Thriller no.
CRIME yes.
DRAMA no.
SURPRIZING twist??? YEZZZ!!!

Offline lonewolf

Offline AndrewC

Re: DEN of THIEVES :- Homage to Michael MANN?
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2018, 14:14 »
Caught this yesterday... interesting visuals and action, but ultimately falls very flat. Lousy attempt at matching "Heat" :) 
You'll never get to heaven with a smile on your face from me.

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Bring the "Cinema experience" back home...
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2018, 16:33 »
Agreed...this is "one" of the few titles that Gerard Butler did better in the recent years. And definitely a keeper to showcase your Home Theater System. :)

Offline khlim_77

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2018, 18:02 »
nice show , real shooting , very good sound quality

Offline YANG

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2018, 10:50 »
The DEN of THIEVES strikes again!!!
This time round though... still in a sunny state, sunday... in much smaller scale, in my home.  ;D

For those who like gun shot effect should try out Den Of Thieves,the gun fight within the first 7mins & @ 2hrs 5mins point onward till the bad guy get killed guns firing sound/effect are super realistic with great impact,the echo sound during the gun fight remind me of NS time when we're at firing range doing M16 target practice. Highly recommended.

Like what Bro. NGSK had pointed out
...the night time shoot out as well as the day time traffic jam shoot out brings out the best anyone's moderate setup can deliver!
Yesterday the Den of Thieves comes in after John Wick gets the 14million bounty and ran off from my screen.
My my... even thru the PAL DVD i got from Australia, which packs only Dolby5.1 track... the punch and impacts...
Ooooh Weee!!! Comparably intense to John Wick's shoot out in the tunnel!!! Totally buey-soo-say!!!

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/UoXPLsKpMew&fs=1" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/UoXPLsKpMew&fs=1</a>
The night silence around the Donut store enhances the echoes of terror from the assault guns like HEAT city shoot out in almost same way producing a wider soundstage when compared to the day scene...
(vs)
Spoiler: show
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/hql-kW23-AQ&fs=1" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/hql-kW23-AQ&fs=1</a>

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/pWpyNEhpi00&fs=1" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/pWpyNEhpi00&fs=1</a>
...where the street seems to be remotely located rather than situated in a busy town or city.

If u haven't watch this bd title with dts-ma 5.1 audio track should try it,the effect is lifelike with great impact u can feel during shootout n there's helicopter flying overhead when the bad guy is down even without overhead speaker.The effect I like is during gun firing those shots hit the object are accountable how many bullets fire how many hit in between empty bullet cartridges dropping u will hear/feel n it's definitely directional plus when bullets hitting different object it give u what it should sound like eg hitting metal,glass etc. The movie itself is soso only n too long also @ 2hrs 28mins.I bought it only because of these 2 scenes,just like WWZ the bass sweep @1hr 5mins mark(famous grenade scene)from ~80hz down to 10hz make me bought it,after watching found it to be a very good movie for both story/acting n off cause the bass was very well done through out actually the gunshots got more impact then DOT.

Offline YANG

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2019, 11:45 »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/NuqotJmEsMY&fs=1" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/NuqotJmEsMY&fs=1</a>
If SubWoofer boh gaolat... sibeh stress to ur system.