Author Topic: Is it possible to setup 7.1 Bi-amp with Dolby Atmos speakers  (Read 396 times)

Offline justDaniel

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Snr Member
I have a Marantz SR7011 and currently set up as 7.1 Bi-amp without two side surround speakers.
In the manual, I do not see such a setup.
I wanted to set up Dolby Atmos with Bi-amp connection.
Current set up :
Two floor-standing speakers with two tweeter place on top of the tower speakers (Bi-amp)
Two front height surround speakers.
Two back surround speakers mounted on to the wall.
One center speaker and one sub-woofer.
Could anybody advise me how can I set up with Bi-amp and Dolby Atmos, preferably ceiling mounting Dolby Atmos speakers?

Offline winwinc81

Re: Is it possible to setup 7.1 Bi-amp with Dolby Atmos speakers
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2019, 14:10 »
You will be sacrificing an atmos channel pair height 2 for bi amp

But then again, for biamp in my opinion better to go for external power amp

Hope I answer to your doubts correctly.

Sent from my Asus ROG ll using Tapatalk

Offline justDaniel

• Snr Member
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2019, 14:23 »
Thanks, Win
I have never set up using external power amp. I do have an old Yamaha AVR RX-V2090.
Is it possible to use this AVR as an external power amp?
If it is possible, does it affect Audyssey calibration?

Offline econav

• Trade Count: (+2)
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2019, 14:26 »
The first Q you should asked ,Does my Atmos Top speaker support Bi-amping ?
We are not second hand dealer , all items we sell as used are tradedin from our customer and we don't rate it condition but for the buyer to decide on it own.
From time to time we may sell off some New but open up used for rental/standby/loan items and to ensure they cant be sold as Brand new , we will dispose off the box.
all post
http://www.xtremeplace.com/yabbse/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2968
Service & collection : Block 1085 #03-36 Eunos Ave 7A  whatsapp 96387418 to arrange

Offline winwinc81

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2019, 14:28 »
Thanks, Win
I have never set up using external power amp. I do have an old Yamaha AVR RX-V2090.
Is it possible to use this AVR as an external power amp?
If it is possible, does it affect Audyssey calibration?
Yes you can "treat" that Yamaha as external power amp as well. Need to set Yamaha side as multichannel in and before doing audyssey from the marantz, you may just want to turn the MV at Yamaha to 0 if I'm not wrong.

Offline justDaniel

• Snr Member
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2019, 14:32 »
The first Q you should asked ,Does my Atmos Top speaker support Bi-amping ?

Hi, Peng
I have not bought any Dolby Atmos speakers yet.
I need to see whether it is possible for this setup

Offline justDaniel

• Snr Member
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2019, 14:36 »
Yes you can "treat" that Yamaha as external power amp as well. Need to set Yamaha side as multichannel in and before doing audyssey from the marantz, you may just want to turn the MV at Yamaha to 0 if I'm not wrong.

Thanks for the info.
I am in the process of discarding my Yamaha AVR but I feel that it is too good an AVR to let go.
I will read up more on this.

Offline econav

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2019, 20:27 »
Hi, Peng
I have not bought any Dolby Atmos speakers yet.
I need to see whether it is possible for this setup
Hope this afternoon , we have help you to understand the wiring and also the calibration limitation you will hv to deal with for long run and bi-amp the Atmos spk , My advise save the money for one level up for your AVR will give you bettee result then bi wiring the top spk .
We are not second hand dealer , all items we sell as used are tradedin from our customer and we don't rate it condition but for the buyer to decide on it own.
From time to time we may sell off some New but open up used for rental/standby/loan items and to ensure they cant be sold as Brand new , we will dispose off the box.
all post
http://www.xtremeplace.com/yabbse/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2968
Service & collection : Block 1085 #03-36 Eunos Ave 7A  whatsapp 96387418 to arrange

Offline justDaniel

• Snr Member
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2019, 21:09 »
Thanks for demo today and thanks for all the advise this afternoon. It is very useful for me. Currently I spend more time in listening to music rather than movies. I have to really consider to give up bi-amp and move to Atmos set up.

Offline econav

« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2019, 22:17 »
Good choice , save all the money you have to invest in extra amp for surround /Atmos channel , cabling , calibration etc and invest this for the front channel , you will yield better 2 channel resolution and imaging.
if you can get the front 2 channel focus and well balance for Stereo , can even do away with the center spk ,
all post