Author Topic: Mission Impossible Fallout  (Read 7899 times)

Offline YANG

• Trade Count: (0)
  • I'm a llama!
Re: Mission Impossible Fallout
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2018, 11:48 »
SPOILERS all in a ...CLIP
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/Mmgb7_TNSmk&fs=1" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/Mmgb7_TNSmk&fs=1</a>
 ;D

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Bring the "Cinema experience" back home...
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2018, 10:48 »
The action scenes are fantastic. Real stunts beats CGI.
One thing that bugged me was why they needed the HALO jump. They could have just took an Uber.

IIRC it is a SPECIAL REQUEST made by the "the-man" himself (Mr Tom Cruise)...he really wanted to get "feel and the rush" and of course to train him for the "neeeed for speeeeed" for his upcoming Top Gun 2!

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2018, 11:04 »
Shared the same positive sentiments after watching the MI:6 Fallout (incidentally fit the British Intelligence Service, commonly known as MI6). Awesome action, a storyline that still able to gel well with the past few MI instalments. Agreed, this is probably the best MI series since Ghost Protocol and Rogue Nation (if you only have time to watch MI, I think Ghost Protocol, Rogue Nation and now Fallout will provide you with a seamless movie watching experience)...

By the way, is it just me or did I feel some kind of assimilation of various cool action scenes that pay homage to some of the past MI series...from the first Mission Impossible (helicopter stunts, to the motorcycle ride (from MI:2) and the list goes on...

Despite his controversial "Scientology" practice, Tom Cruise is definitely the most "hardworking" Hollywood actor alive right now imo.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2018, 11:08 by desray »

Offline petetherock

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Sidere Mens Eadem Mutato
    • My Music, Movie and Equipment Musings...
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2018, 13:28 »
What are the common adjectives to describe an action movie?
Breath-taking stunts, bone crunching combat, breakneck pacing, side splitting dialogue with side kicks and a dash of romantic interlude?
Well, here we have a movie with a functional plot, and an extremely hardworking superstar who really strives to make it work.. he is a wonderful chef, placing all the adjectives together into a wonderful movie which he dishes out with all his heart, blood and guts. That’s the short take on this..

For a longer review with spoilers:
http://peteswrite.blogspot.com/2018/07/mission-impossible-fallout-movie-review.html

And that fist fight... wow... kinetic!

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/yUbb5l0lYT8&fs=1" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/yUbb5l0lYT8&fs=1</a>
« Last Edit: July 29, 2018, 13:30 by petetherock »
Please post instead of sending a pm, so more can learn.

My gear:
http://peteswrite.blogspot.com/2019/04/my-setup-42019.html

Offline Jagdpanzer

• HT & Audio
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2018, 21:18 »
Caught the movie a while ago. Though the movie is predictable, where the MI cast will always survive in the end, I still enjoy the high octane high speed chase. He will be in his late 50s for the next sequel and this could be the franchise finale.

I like the Widow (by Vanessa Kirby), though at only 1.7 m tall, her killer smile, polished British accented English and classy style can make one drool.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2018, 22:06 by Jagdpanzer »

Offline lonewolf

« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2018, 22:56 »
Frankly, MI: Fallout seems a little overhype and overpraised to me. It's not that it's not an enjoyable movie but as far as MI movies go, I prefer GP and RN more.

It seems like MI has become a vanity project for TC and a lot of stunts just seems like an ego trip for him. In many ways, it reminds me of Jackie Chan and his Police Story franchise where each successive movies features more elaborate and crazy stunts that looks to eclipse the previous installment. It's fine if the stunt serves a purpose like that crazy 10-storey pole slide in PS1. When the stunts become gimmicky that serves no real purpose, it starts to become an issue.

I would argue that the Halo jump in MI: Fallout is just a stunt. And some element of the climactic cliffhanger is just a rehash of what we had already seen before in Jurassic Park. To be fair, I think many movies has also copied that particular sequence from JP.

And MI seems to the only movie I know that spoils itself from the opening credits. WTF!  :P

What I love about the movie is that super kinetic fight in the bathroom and all the practical and motorcycles car chases. Superb! And of cos, that familiar theme song!

Offline AndrewC

« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2018, 06:01 »
Just caught this yesterday, very entertaining, definitely one of the better MIs, not sure it's the best yet though, they still jumped through convoluted hoops ;D

I like the Widow (by Vanessa Kirby), though at only 1.7 m tall, her killer smile, polished British accented English and classy style can make one drool.

Ditto! ;) ... She does kinda look like a young Lady Gaga though!  :P
You'll never get to heaven with a smile on your face from me.

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2018, 09:14 »
Frankly, MI: Fallout seems a little overhype and overpraised to me. It's not that it's not an enjoyable movie but as far as MI movies go, I prefer GP and RN more.

It seems like MI has become a vanity project for TC and a lot of stunts just seems like an ego trip for him. In many ways, it reminds me of Jackie Chan and his Police Story franchise where each successive movies features more elaborate and crazy stunts that looks to eclipse the previous installment. It's fine if the stunt serves a purpose like that crazy 10-storey pole slide in PS1. When the stunts become gimmicky that serves no real purpose, it starts to become an issue.

I would argue that the Halo jump in MI: Fallout is just a stunt. And some element of the climactic cliffhanger is just a rehash of what we had already seen before in Jurassic Park. To be fair, I think many movies has also copied that particular sequence from JP.

And MI seems to the only movie I know that spoils itself from the opening credits. WTF!  :P

What I love about the movie is that super kinetic fight in the bathroom and all the practical and motorcycles car chases. Superb! And of cos, that familiar theme song!

Haha...I can't agreed more with you on that. It seems that Tom Cruise wanted to tell you that he is not afraid to do the "impossible" - I meant do "leaks" right before you go through the entire movie. It is like challenging the movie-goers, "now that you spent so many days waiting...lining to purchase the movie ticket not to mention spend another 10 bucks to purchase popcorns and a bottled drink and then you finally sit down. and about to enjoy the movie and literally the opening credits reveals to you snippets of those fantastic action scenes..." Its like Tom Cruise asking his MI fans, "...so what you gonna do? Walk out of the cinema and say WTF or continue watching because you have already wasted so much time..." LoL. Nice one Tom Cruise.

;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: August 04, 2018, 09:16 by desray »

Offline Doggie Howser

« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2018, 12:10 »
Just caught this on Atmos and it is one of the few movies where you didn’t have to struggle to hear the difference Atmos makes. Definitely a keeper on UHD. I recently bought all the earlier Movies on UHD. Can’t wait for another marathon.

I thoroughly enjoyed the movie.

Possible spoilers follow (hard to figure out where WEB posted the spoiler... but)

It’s a Mission Impossible movie and so you get all the checks against a list. Rock climbing? Check. Jumping on top of a moving aircraft? Check. Crazy driving scenes? Check. HALO jumps? Check.

Ps They kinda explained why they had to do the jump. The widow had links to government agencies and monitored all incoming flights. So they disguised it as a passenger flight overflying Paris but not landing.

like others stated I love the homage to older TV and earlier installments like the spooling tape at the beginning. A few years ago I caught up on all the MI movies and it’s almost archaic how the tech was used in those days intel 586 processors. Lmao. Yet the way it was used here was plausible and cool. On a side note, recently met someone who was not even born when the first MI movie came out. damn I’m old.

The BMW M5 looks phenomenal in the scenes and even better with the old E28 sedan.

The car chase scenes were well shot. The use of drones have made some of the shots impossible in the old days so I loved the new angles. But they didn’t break new ground the way Bourne Identity did with the Mini. I always loved how Bourne didn’t count on luck or chance. In the first movie, while the cops were barreling down on him, he took precious seconds to look and memorize the map before he booted out of the city square.

Also, It was always going to be predictable in a few areas:
You knew it was always going to go down to the last second.
You knew Ethan Hunt couldn’t die. Actually, I didn’t expect anyone to.. so kudos there. Great emotional payback too.
And I kinda even guessed who the baddie is.

Overall I enjoyed the movie and will watch it again and own it on UHD BUT is it movie of the year though? I don’t know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
End of Line - Derezzed

Offline scoobydoo

• In Naim, I trust.
« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2018, 12:37 »
Very enjoyable movie. However, would have been better with a proper soundtrack.
In Naim, I trust.

Offline dbchoong

• ... ... ...
  • Global Moderator
  • .. Droid Rulez ..
« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2018, 16:30 »
Rewatched it in an IMAX cinema in the Middle East. Think it's better the 2nd time. :D

Audience in Sg and over here very different. In Sg, the audience are very quiet. Here, the audience are more reactive to the movie. Very lively. Even applaud and cheer...

Offline francis wu

• Trade Count: (+5)
« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2018, 18:29 »

Audience in Sg and over here very different. In Sg, the audience are very quiet. Here, the audience are more reactive to the movie. Very lively. Even applaud and cheer...

Same same in the States ;D  Feel strange at first but join the crowd too after awhile ;D

Offline YANG

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2018, 10:01 »
Haha...I can't agreed more with you on that. It seems that Tom Cruise wanted to tell you that he is not afraid to do the "impossible"...
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/3aloOiE3B1I&fs=1" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/3aloOiE3B1I&fs=1</a>
MINDEF and SPF should engage him to be the spokesperson to promote SG Fitness... slogan shall be
"Limpeh can lan @ the age of 50, u all also can!
IPPT sure can score more than gold, like my lan that generate boxoffice figures!!!"

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: August 06, 2018, 10:11 »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/3aloOiE3B1I&fs=1" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/3aloOiE3B1I&fs=1</a>
MINDEF and SPF should engage him to be the spokesperson to promote SG Fitness... slogan shall be
"Limpeh can lan @ the age of 50, u all also can!
IPPT sure can score more than gold, like my lan that generate boxoffice figures!!!"
Haha... Out IPPT regime these days is a joke.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Offline dbchoong

• ... ... ...
  • Global Moderator
  • .. Droid Rulez ..
« Reply #29 on: August 06, 2018, 11:34 »
If there's an above-55 Olympics, Tom might win a few medals...