Author Topic: Creative Super X-Fi 3D Immersive Headset for movies/games - Pride of Singapore  (Read 23507 times)

Offline YANG

• Trade Count: (0)
  • I'm a llama!
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/j7aKrD2IVqs&fs=1" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/j7aKrD2IVqs&fs=1</a>
 ;D Lai Lai Lai... TRY TRY TRY!!!

Online francis wu

• Trade Count: (+5)
Good news, I tried on my Zidoo and it works.  Wow, now I can watch late in the night without disturbing anybody although it cannot beat the real physical HT presentation, its a great deal for me.  Now I have to get a 3 meter USB C to A male data cable so that I can watch from my couch. :)

Sorry guys, after playing around with the settings in my Zidoo, the USB output is in stereo and not multichannel.  However, with the HT button turned on, the enhanced stereo effect is still pretty effective with good atmospheric feel and the bass remains solid and thumping.  Disappointed but happy at the same time that I can watch big screen movies late into the night without disturbing anybody and enjoying the enhanced sound that I find satisfying.
Tried miracasting from my Surface Pro to the TV but somehow, the former cannot achieve a connection, maybe software or hardware incompatibility so I am going to ask for tech support from Microsoft tomorrow to find a solution! Cheers and enjoy your Sxfi :)
« Last Edit: October 19, 2018, 21:37 by francis wu »

Offline bigbird

Maybe my expectation is too high before trying out the Creative Super X-Fi, but quite disappointed after getting one for myself. I thought it can produce those kind of movie sound experience like I am watching action movie in Golden Village Vivocity Hall 1, but I do not feel close to that experience when using the X-Fi. My main complaint is the dialogue in the movie. I get so used to the dialogue to be spot on in the center in typical HT setup or in cinema, but in X-Fi I feel the dialogue seems to lose the clarity and sound diffused. Second complaint is the surround effect is not as good as I expected that I don't feel the objects are moving behind my head or above me comparing to real HT setup or cinema. Not sure if it is my headphone not so good. I also tried the free headphone given by Creative. I configured SXFI Speakers as 7.1 mode in my PC as learnt during the demo session.

Offline InnocentBlood

• Trade Count: (+4)
Sorry guys, after playing around with the settings in my Zidoo, the USB output is in stereo and not multichannel.  However, with the HT button turned on, the enhanced stereo effect is still pretty effective with good atmospheric feel and the bass remains solid and thumping.  Disappointed but happy at the same time that I can watch big screen movies late into the night without disturbing anybody and enjoying the enhanced sound that I find satisfying.
Tried miracasting from my Surface Pro to the TV but somehow, the former cannot achieve a connection, maybe software or hardware incompatibility so I am going to ask for tech support from Microsoft tomorrow to find a solution! Cheers and enjoy your Sxfi :)

thanks Francis for taking the time and effort to test the media player USB audio output. i was back @ creative HQ on wednesday to do the in-ear mic calibration for myself and my boy. we met Mr Lee Teck Chee and i had a whole bunch of questions and feedback for him. one of the things that he confirmed is that most media players - especially ones which run on android - are only limited to stereo via the USB audio output. they also have a nvidia shield in their testing lab.

my positive experiences with the amp continue. there is NO day and night difference between the calibration using the android app and the in-ear mic calibration, as reported by others online. from my personal hearing, what I can make out is a better "speaker positioning effect" using the in-ear mic calibration whereby i can better sense where the sounds are coming from, especially in a 5.1 setup. i still have not played any material which are originally encoded in 7.1 channels since getting this amp. i've just been testing this exclusively using material that was originally encoded in 5.1 channels.

for those of us who feel very underwhelmed by the amp, i would recommend that you ensure your sound settings are configured properly in the OS level. creative have updated their FAQ where they explicitly state that if you are playing material which is originally encoded in stereo then please set your OS sound setting to stereo. if you are playing material which is originally encoded in 5.1 channels, then please set your OS sound setting to 5.1 . the amp is just not intelligent enough to automatically detect what you are feeding it. you need to manually specify in the config page of your OS. also, using the matching headphone profile helps a lot. for myself i am using the E-MU Teak.

most of the folks who seem unimpressed with this device continue to listen to lossy stereo sources such as spotify and youtube. especially with youtube, you never know what resolution you are listening to. i believe youtube only contains audio in stereo - not 5.1 . there are proper online resources with demo material encoded in surround sound in the proper resolution such as https://www.demolandia.net and http://www.2l.no/hires/ - i would recommend you download the free clips from there and test your amp with it. if you still feel underwhelmed then i hope you still qualify for the refund period :)
Sex N' Violence

Undesirable Publications

Blu Ray Discs for sale from $10 & DVDs @ $5 - contact 94595907, thank you

Online francis wu

Personally I like the Sxfi especially when playing 5.1/7.1 on my Surface Pro using Kodi.  The overall multi channels presentation although lacking in wide soundstage is convincing enough compared to the real McCoy.  I have never enjoyed watching movies on PC till now!  It has entertained me the last couple of nights and kept me thrilled and wanting more.  The enhanced stereo thru' my Zidoo is still acceptable, losing the surrounds but enveloping me with clean and atmospheric sound.  I will be getting a Miracast dongle for my Sammy 1st gen 4K TV in the next couple of days and try out the casting from my PC to the TV, finger crossing for a successful link

Sexy8

Online francis wu

Similar HT output from my S8.

Sexy8

Online francis wu

Managed to screen mirrored my S8 to the TV but color tone a little flat, less sharp and some stuttering in fast motion scenes.  A plus is that I get HT sound from the phone.  Don't think I will go this route... Sigh!

Sent from my Huawei P9 using Tapatalk

Offline dankoo

so if I were to play a 4K disc, how do I connect it? I dont think there's USB audio from 4K players right?
Samsung UA55D6400 * Deftech ProCinema 800, PB12-NSD * Denon AVR 2309 * Sony PS3 * Panasonic BDT-310

Offline bigbird

so if I were to play a 4K disc, how do I connect it? I dont think there's USB audio from 4K players right?

No way to connect to your bluray or 4k player. What I am doing now I play my bluray disc using external USB 3.0 bluray burner with software such as powerdvd on my laptop.

Offline InnocentBlood

No way to connect to your bluray or 4k player. What I am doing now I play my bluray disc using external USB 3.0 bluray burner with software such as powerdvd on my laptop.

does PowerDVD allow you to play all-region discs like how VLC allows you to do so?
Sex N' Violence

Undesirable Publications

Offline dankoo

thanks...so i gather its the same for Android tv box? no USB audio?

Like that its seems quite limited usage for HT purpose...
Samsung UA55D6400 * Deftech ProCinema 800, PB12-NSD * Denon AVR 2309 * Sony PS3 * Panasonic BDT-310

Offline dbchoong

• ... ... ...
  • Global Moderator
  • .. Droid Rulez ..
Tested on Chromebook and also my Zidoo X9S. Both works.
For Chromebook, I couldn't find setting on whether output is stereo or multi-channel. High chance it's stereo.
For Zidoo X9S, the USB output is stereo.

Online francis wu

Well, Windows 10 output in 7.1 :)

Offline InnocentBlood

Well, Windows 10 output in 7.1 :)

Same for MacOS X as well. The Netflix app for windows 10 also outputs 5.1 sound.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sex N' Violence

Undesirable Publications

Offline sevenz

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • home theatre lover :D
Tested on Chromebook and also my Zidoo X9S. Both works.
For Chromebook, I couldn't find setting on whether output is stereo or multi-channel. High chance it's stereo.
For Zidoo X9S, the USB output is stereo.

Ooooo nice. How does it sound on the zidoo?