Author Topic: Creative Super X-Fi 3D Immersive Headset for movies/games - Pride of Singapore  (Read 23443 times)

Offline Jagdpanzer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • HT & Audio
It's not fair to compare Audioquest dragonfly with the Sxfi. The Dragonfly is a purist DAC developed for audiophiles who demand the best stereo playback.

I collected mine today and attended the Sxfi demo today and the music demos were presented last. This implies that this gizmo is targeted at HT and gaming audio playback.

I tried a few movie files and somehow, I find the effect a tad less "intimate" . I played some Sportify music and I don't like the enhancement. The entire presentation sounds a bit smeared and vocal is thin.

Too short a time to compare but based on what I have heard , the Dragon Fly is slightly better...more cohesive and imaging is better.
With Sx-fi on, the sound is smeared, too airy, cohesiveness collapsed and imaging is poor...YMMV.

Sexy8

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: October 15, 2018, 22:16 by Jagdpanzer »

Offline YANG

• I'm a llama!
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/b0HQMDkxtQs&fs=1" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/b0HQMDkxtQs&fs=1</a>
Lobang Share Lobang for iPhone users!

Offline FookLai

• survivng with bare system
It's not fair to compare Audioquest dragonfly with the Sxfi. The Dragonfly is a purist DAC developed for audiophiles who demand the best stereo playback.

I collected mine today and attended the Sxfi demo today and the music demos were presented last. This implies that this gizmo is targeted at HT and gaming audio playback.

I tried a few movie files and somehow, I find the effect a tad less "intimate" . I played some Sportify music and I don't like the enhancement. The entire presentation sounds a bit smeared and vocal is thin.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

I believe turning on the enhancement for music is a no no. How is the sound quality if you turn it off?

I have dragonfly myself as a DAC for my phone, this sXfi interest me because it has a AKM chipset which I initially thought will give a better sound to the music. But now it looks like apparently not.

For movies I have dedicated room so not require this setup, I seldom watch movies on my small phone screen as well.

BadEnglish

It can reproduce 5 channels faithfully , but not 2 channels ?

Offline InnocentBlood

• Trade Count: (+4)
I believe the amp can still give you the "listening to speakers" sensation when you are listening to material that is originally encoded in 2 channel. however I suspect this may not work 100% on mobile devices. this may work better on the computer where you will be able to explicitly specify in the amp settings that you are feeding it material that is originally encoded in 2 channel and which the amp will then reproduce over the headphones. for a better listening experience, it helps if you select the correct headphone profile.
Sex N' Violence

Undesirable Publications

Blu Ray Discs for sale from $10 & DVDs @ $5 - contact 94595907, thank you

Offline Zerstorer

• Snr Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
I find that it works well in throwing a soundstage. Provided you are one of those have a measured profile rather than the headmap one.

But soundstaging aside, one weakness of the measured profile is that it inherits the acoustics and characteristics of their showroom which is the target simulated environment.

What you get is a lifelike copy of their room and elac setup over headphones, which may not be good enough for some of our users here who may not be impressed with the rendering or timbre of what is considered an entry level speaker setup.

IMO, if they upgrade their reference equipment and have a properly treated room for the calibration, it should give a pretty good result.

Even for the photo based head map, there seems to be a little too much reverb added. Hopefully they will introduce a range of settings for users to tweak the profile.

As for the sxfiamp as a standard headphone DAC/amp I find it can drive my hifiman mass drop edition  better than my colleagues Fiio x5, which means it pretty decent.

However it's not as sweet or subtle as my ifi xdsd, especially so when balanced cables are used.

Sent from my CLT-L29 using Tapatalk

Offline francis wu

• Trade Count: (+5)
I believe turning on the enhancement for music is a no no. How is the sound quality if you turn it off?

I have dragonfly myself as a DAC for my phone, this sXfi interest me because it has a AKM chipset which I initially thought will give a better sound to the music. But now it looks like apparently not.

For movies I have dedicated room so not require this setup, I seldom watch movies on my small phone screen as well.

Bro, just to let you know that running thru' my PC and playing Flac files, the sound is a little warm, smooth and the base is really good (better than the Dragonfly) with the Sxfi off.  So have a listen before you decide, you may like the sound too.  Cheers

Offline Jagdpanzer

• HT & Audio
I cannot recall whether Creative use notebook or mobile devices for demo in the theater. I tried the demo on their notebooks at the counter and for movies mkv and flac files, they sound pretty decent
using their $149 Creative earbuds.

So far I've tested music only on Spotify app in mobile phone

Offline FookLai

• survivng with bare system
Bro, just to let you know that running thru' my PC and playing Flac files, the sound is a little warm, smooth and the base is really good (better than the Dragonfly) with the Sxfi off.  So have a listen before you decide, you may like the sound too.  Cheers

Thanks Bro, I shall give it a try then.

Offline francis wu

Good news, I tried on my Zidoo and it works.  Wow, now I can watch late in the night without disturbing anybody although it cannot beat the real physical HT presentation, its a great deal for me.  Now I have to get a 3 meter USB C to A male data cable so that I can watch from my couch. :)

Offline InnocentBlood

Good news, I tried on my Zidoo and it works.  Wow, now I can watch late in the night without disturbing anybody although it cannot beat the real physical HT presentation, its a great deal for me.  Now I have to get a 3 meter USB C to A male data cable so that I can watch from my couch. :)

I don’t have the zidoo- I only have the egreat A10 and the Nvidia shield. Can you confirm that the zidoo usb audio output can do multichannel and not just output in stereo?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sex N' Violence

Undesirable Publications

Offline francis wu

I m out now to get the data cable and will get back to all on whether it output 5.1 or stereo later.  Just tested a short clip from 'Criminal' awhile ago and it was atmospheric and gunshots and explosions were solid with good thumping bass, already a big bonus to me.
I will search for the flying dagger file to confirm 7.1 output later when I get back.

Sexy8

Offline dbchoong

• ... ... ...
  • Global Moderator
  • .. Droid Rulez ..
It works on my Chromebook too. So, I guess all Android-type devices seem to work.

Hope there's a way for multi SXFi users one day - all watching same movie like in the group demo.

Offline InnocentBlood

It works on my Chromebook too. So, I guess all Android-type devices seem to work.

Hope there's a way for multi SXFi users one day - all watching same movie like in the group demo.

I do not own a Chromebook so I don't know how Netflix behaves on a Chromebook. Do you install a Netflix app - like how you can do so in Windows 10, thereby getting 5.1 sound - or do you continue to access Netflix on the Chrome web browser, whereby you are still limited to Stereo output?

Sex N' Violence

Undesirable Publications

Offline sevenz

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • home theatre lover :D
I m out now to get the data cable and will get back to all on whether it output 5.1 or stereo later.  Just tested a short clip from 'Criminal' awhile ago and it was atmospheric and gunshots and explosions were solid with good thumping bass, already a big bonus to me.
I will search for the flying dagger file to confirm 7.1 output later when I get back.

Sexy8

Wow thanks Francis for the heads up for this. If it can, this will be AWESOME for HT users without a PC.