Author Topic: Creative Super X-Fi 3D Immersive Headset for movies/games - Pride of Singapore  (Read 23449 times)

Offline francis wu

• Trade Count: (+5)
I hope it's good enough to replace the Dragonfly on my Surface Pro.

Sexy8

« Last Edit: October 07, 2018, 09:53 by francis wu »

Online YANG

• Trade Count: (0)
  • I'm a llama!
Even with $350 discount..
 The headphone is still considerably very ex...@ $649

Offline Zerstorer

• Snr Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Actually there shouldn't be any concerns for stereo. Once you have had your profile setup and customized. You can just access the processing through the Sxfi app paired to your favourite DAC/headphone combo.

It even works when I pair my handphone to my ifi xdsd + hifiman combo wirelessly through aptx.

The only limitation is that in that way it only works on files stored on your device.

Sent from my CLT-L29 using Tapatalk

Offline InnocentBlood

• Trade Count: (+4)
I don't understand the part on why you don't want to use it with stereo. It come with an AKM DAC which I suppose should do a good job on decoding your music from Mac to your headphone too. I read that the DSP can be turned off too so probably for us who like the natural sound will turn it off when listen to stereo. Please give it a try and let us know your experience.

Btw, I remember I read that it come with a free head phone for those who pre order, did you get it? If yes, did you manage to try that as well?

i am an iOS user so I will probably get access to the app in about 3 weeks time. I am sure the AKM DAC is more than decent but I personally don't like applying DSP to stereo music that is meant to be listened in stereo and not "up-mixed" to multichannel. so even when I install the iOS app, I still don't see myself using it that much.

most of the folks over @ HWZ have been using this amp primarily with lossy, 2 channel music and the reviews have been all over the place.

as for the free headphones, I've not used it yet since I've been using the E-MU Teak with the amp. my boy did try it with his amp on the PS4 and he felt that the sound was better when he compared it to his Razor Kraken. but the Razor was more comfy. the free headphones look quite flimsy to be honest. i wouldn't pay money for this.
Sex N' Violence

Undesirable Publications

Blu Ray Discs for sale from $10 & DVDs @ $5 - contact 94595907, thank you

Offline Zerstorer

• Snr Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Did you get to go through a process of calibration of test tones with mics inserted in your ears to generate a custom profile or is it just the profile generated from photos?

Offline InnocentBlood

Did you get to go through a process of calibration of test tones with mics inserted in your ears to generate a custom profile or is it just the profile generated from photos?

just the profile generated from photos. for those who managed to rack up 10 and more referrals, they have been invited to generate a custom profile @ Creative HQ. i have no such luck so i hope Creative will extend more invitations to create a custom profile using the mics.
Sex N' Violence

Undesirable Publications

Offline acc

I have collected mine and I really like it for listening to Spotify. Makes the music more natural and akin to listening via speakers witthout the in your head effect. After using the amp for long, turning it off males the music sounds so flat and unnatural.

Offline mikeang88

• I'm a llama!
I just collected mine yesterday.

The demonstration using the HT setup and then the sxfi device is great! I wouldn't say that the simulated surround really convincing but for what it is worth, it works well enough for the price.

After I left, i tried some movie MKV tracks on my mobile on my way home. It's not that bad .. but do sounded kind of thin using the supplied free headphone. Music sounded bad...

When I got back, I tried it on my HD650 on my pc and it was when it really became enjoyable. The surround was more convincing and the soundstage widen. Using the Atmos track on the 747, it do sounded like a plane flew overhead. Some of the test tracks sounded good too but not all especially the movie one.

When I tried playing music on it again, it just couldn't deliver convincingly. I am used to listening to SACD surround track but this just not the same. Vocals sounded thin, really thin... where the sound stage of instruments sounded like too much of a distant away.

Conclusion : Great for movie.. not so great for music.

Offline Zerstorer

• Snr Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
just the profile generated from photos. for those who managed to rack up 10 and more referrals, they have been invited to generate a custom profile @ Creative HQ. i have no such luck so i hope Creative will extend more invitations to create a custom profile using the mics.
That's unfortunate. They should try to extend the service to all owners. The difference in staging between the measured profile and the headmap profile is not subtle.

With the headmap the soundstage is more or less in the same plane as your head.

Only with the measured profile do you get a soundstage thrown out in front of you with depth.

Offline ralfale

• Trade Count: (+1)
If buying this mostly for akm dac, which is better than the DAC in phone, is this sensible? Or there are better options out there.  I don't watch movie or play games on my mobile.

Offline FookLai

• survivng with bare system
I just collected mine yesterday.

The demonstration using the HT setup and then the sxfi device is great! I wouldn't say that the simulated surround really convincing but for what it is worth, it works well enough for the price.

After I left, i tried some movie MKV tracks on my mobile on my way home. It's not that bad .. but do sounded kind of thin using the supplied free headphone. Music sounded bad...

When I got back, I tried it on my HD650 on my pc and it was when it really became enjoyable. The surround was more convincing and the soundstage widen. Using the Atmos track on the 747, it do sounded like a plane flew overhead. Some of the test tracks sounded good too but not all especially the movie one.

When I tried playing music on it again, it just couldn't deliver convincingly. I am used to listening to SACD surround track but this just not the same. Vocals sounded thin, really thin... where the sound stage of instruments sounded like too much of a distant away.

Conclusion : Great for movie.. not so great for music.

Did you turn off the DSP when playing music? Meaning just to test the DAC alone. I am interested in what ralfale asked above too.

Offline bigtree

• Trade Count: (+3)
collected mine today. Great for movies. But music is a bit of hit and miss, depending on genre and recording.

Sxfi seems to have an effect on the phasing of the music...or it's just me....

Offline InnocentBlood

That's unfortunate. They should try to extend the service to all owners. The difference in staging between the measured profile and the headmap profile is not subtle.

With the headmap the soundstage is more or less in the same plane as your head.

Only with the measured profile do you get a soundstage thrown out in front of you with depth.

yes I agree with you. I believe the experience will be even better if the initial set-up was done using the mic method - like how they did @ CES 2018 - as opposed to the app method - like how they are doing now. however having said that, over @ HWZ forums, only one person who has had the chance to re-calibrate his amp using the mic method has actually bothered to post about his experiences. he has a total of 3 profiles that he can access on his android app - the mic profile, the app profile and another app profile that he just created by himself without attempting to steady the camera properly. his take is that he couldn't really tell the difference between the mic profile and the app profile that was taken properly. and during his testing of various clips, he didn't even realise that he's been listening to the app profile all along. he can definitely tell the difference when he's listening to the other app profile that was not taken properly.

so all this was very interesting to read but then again it was based on the feedback of just one person who actually bothered to share his experiences in a normal, matter of fact way. there was no over enthusiasm here. otherwise he definitely would've raved about the mic profile being the 2nd Coming.

I still have my fingers crossed that Creative would offer the early adopters to set up a 2nd profile using the mic over @ Creative HQ.
Sex N' Violence

Undesirable Publications

Offline InnocentBlood

If buying this mostly for akm dac, which is better than the DAC in phone, is this sensible? Or there are better options out there.  I don't watch movie or play games on my mobile.

yes the AKM DAC in the amp does sound good to my ears - especially when you pair it with the E-MU Teak. if you are in the market to get a DAC for less than SGD200, then this would be a very decent buy. a couple of people have started offloading their amp on Carousell so you might want to head there for a potentially good buy ;)
Sex N' Violence

Undesirable Publications

Offline mikeang88

• I'm a llama!
Hi,

Yes, i did try that. Without the DSP, the DAC did a good job over my Samsung S8+ one to put out a rather good sounding music. Vocals sounded fuller and the treble sharper. However, noting that you can only hear this if paired with a better headphone like the HD650 or more. If listened over the in-ear, it didn't make much of an improvement. That being said, i could never get my HD650 to work properly without an external amp on my phone.

One drawback, this draws a lot of battery from the phone.

Did you turn off the DSP when playing music? Meaning just to test the DAC alone. I am interested in what ralfale asked above too.