Author Topic: Creative Super X-Fi 3D Immersive Headset for movies/games - Pride of Singapore  (Read 23489 times)

Offline InnocentBlood

• Trade Count: (+4)
I still can't figure out how to use this gadget sensibly. If it can't be used with headphone or HDMI outputs from media players, bluray players or AVRs, it will remain a gimmick. Immersive surround sound should be paired with big screens.

Maybe I'm missing something here....

i have the same question too. Creative says the amp works with devices that output audio over USB. that is why regular BD players and AVRs are ruled out - for now, at least. the PS4 outputs audio over USB but my concern is whether the PS4's USB output can do multichannel or is it restricted to stereo only...
Sex N' Violence

Undesirable Publications

Blu Ray Discs for sale from $10 & DVDs @ $5 - contact 94595907, thank you

Offline mikeang88

• Trade Count: (0)
  • I'm a llama!
I wonder for the bluetooth headset one they are releasing next quarter, would it be able to support via TV BT? If yes, there is a chance it can use for HT..

Offline dXter

Read their product guide

"Can I hook up SXFI AMP to my TV?

No. However, we are currently working on a SXFi product for home entertainment purposes. Do sign up for our mailing list, and we will keep you updated."

Very subtle in their Air product page
"USB MODE FOR PC/Mac: Because of transmission latency issues inherent in all Bluetooth devices, movies transmitted over Bluetooth will have a slight lag in the audio. The SXFI AIR features a USB mode that allows you to enjoy great latency-free Super X-Fi movies on your PC/Mac."

As good as saying no, won't work well.

Offline YANG

• I'm a llama!
I thought SXFI Air is oredi a BT headset variant product? Still need to konnet thru USB?

Offline AndrewC

i have the same question too. Creative says the amp works with devices that output audio over USB. that is why regular BD players and AVRs are ruled out - for now, at least. the PS4 outputs audio over USB but my concern is whether the PS4's USB output can do multichannel or is it restricted to stereo only...

I haven't bought this or anything, but I assumed, this takes a multichannel track and simlulates surround sound via 2-channels... Like for example playback of an .ac3 stream from your mobile phone into a virtual 5.1 over headphones... No?
You'll never get to heaven with a smile on your face from me.

Offline Jagdpanzer

• HT & Audio
Do you really think this cheap tic tac box size can device produce real 7.1 or 5.1 immersive surround by plugging into TV or AVR? Even if it can, it will be just virtual surround.

It's like what Darbee does to video.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2018, 10:01 by Jagdpanzer »

Offline YANG

• I'm a llama!
What i can picture how the logic works on the device, is:

When the source is from digital stream(thru USB/Optical*/Coaxial* concept of future development)
Digital Mix ==> DAC ==> Multi-Channel decoding ==> DownMix ==> Analogue out

When the source is from analogue input(concept... probably in the future product... like KANTANA soundbar Vers.2)
Analogue input ==> AAC*(*"Analogue Audio Cleanup" for more sonic details) ==> AAP*(*"Analogue Audio Processing") ==> DownMix ==> Amplified Out

Offline YANG

• I'm a llama!
Do you really think this cheap tic tac box size can device produce real 7.1 or 5.1 immersive surround by plugging into TV or AVR? Even if it can, it will be just virtual surround.

It's like what Darbee do to video.
If this device is a hit in the market... U could picture what kind of impact will it have on TV Audio in the future that may affect the sales of Audio hardwares like SoundBars.

Offline InnocentBlood

I haven't bought this or anything, but I assumed, this takes a multichannel track and simlulates surround sound via 2-channels... Like for example playback of an .ac3 stream from your mobile phone into a virtual 5.1 over headphones... No?

Yes that’s the basic idea - this is also what is shown in the CES video for this product. In that video, the audience are experiencing a movie and concert in multi channel speaker setup. They then put on the headphones connected to the Super X-Fi to experience that same soundtrack simulated via the “holographic technology” over the headphones. The test audience couldn’t seem to tell the difference between listening to the speakers and listening to the headphones

That’s what got me excited about this device in the first place. It would be a $200 gamble to discover whether Creative’s new toy is the real deal or not. I’ll find out this Friday

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: October 03, 2018, 14:10 by InnocentBlood »
Sex N' Violence

Undesirable Publications

Offline in1voice

• I'm a llama!
Read their product guide

"Can I hook up SXFI AMP to my TV?

No. However, we are currently working on a SXFi product for home entertainment purposes. Do sign up for our mailing list, and we will keep you updated."

Very subtle in their Air product page
"USB MODE FOR PC/Mac: Because of transmission latency issues inherent in all Bluetooth devices, movies transmitted over Bluetooth will have a slight lag in the audio. The SXFI AIR features a USB mode that allows you to enjoy great latency-free Super X-Fi movies on your PC/Mac."

As good as saying no, won't work well.

Spending $100 million to create a gadget that can only be connected to USB looks like a bad idea. You can do a great demo at CES, but if the owners of large screen TVs cannot use it, the limited market for the product will not be worth the $100 million spent. 

Offline Doggie Howser

It's like what Darbee does to video.

If you think about it, we only listen in “2 channels” however many speakers we have in the room, it ends up reaching two sensors - our ears.

That’s what Smith Research achieved many years ago and it was uncanny how well it worked.

The Creative One seems to work along similar lines but I just struggle to find out how it accepts a 7.1 signal. USB audio limits the ability to handle multi channel to just PCs I think. I don’t even think PS4 supports discrete multi channel audio over USB (only for USB headphone headsets)

If it had an HDMI input or even optical/coax, it would have been completely understandable.

Maybe they are getting ready to launch those other (pricier?) models.

End of Line - Derezzed

Offline in1voice

• I'm a llama!
Smyth Research accepts HDMI and digital outputs. How can Creative miss that?

Offline InnocentBlood

I think this 1st iteration of the Super X-Fi tech is meant for mobile use. that is why they emphasise on the app that's being developed for Android and iOS. I believe the PC and game console connections could be something that they decided to tack on to demonstrate their "headphone holography" technology.

if this tech does take off, then perhaps we may get further iterations which incorporate HDMI and Digital outputs that you can then easily connect to conventional home theatre systems.
Sex N' Violence

Undesirable Publications

Offline InnocentBlood

Sex N' Violence

Undesirable Publications

Offline matix

no one collected yet?