Author Topic: Magico  (Read 12222 times)

Offline blue_starfish

• Trade Count: (0)
  • I am a hi-fi dinosaur as I love analog
Re: Magico
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2018, 17:19 »
what do you guys think of magico q3? any other speakers at the 30k pricepoint worth looking at?

Looking at your pre/power, logical alternative would be Wilson. Since you bought gear from HER, you can ask for a home demo. Another good brand would be Vivid. Yamaha NS5000M sounds very good when properly driven. Now you can hear them at Music Image. For something totally plain in looks but mind-blowing when properly matched, give the big active ATCs a listen. Especially at high volume.   

Online crazysurfer

« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2018, 18:12 »
any other speakers at the 30k pricepoint worth looking at?

Can try the legendary Chario from Italy. Heard their top of the line flagship reference speaker, Serendipity from their Academy Series and was blown away by its sheer musicality & tight n deep bass.

Really awesome & badass speakers if you can accommodate its huge footprint into your listening room and also easy on the pocket (just below S$40K). Their signature solid Walnut finishing looks is to die for.

A trademark of true Italian craftsmanship & a beauty to behold.

Offline chainsdb

• Trade Count: (-1)
  • YNWA
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2018, 19:27 »
thks guys good food for thought
Vivid Audio Giya G2,  Passlabs 350.5, Arc ref 6, hidiamond 8 sc/pc, LUMIN t2, Wireworld Silver Eclipse 8 IC, Audiomica Rhod Ref IC, Arcam CD23T, JVC DLA-X550R, Klipsch KL-650 THX, Marantz 7703, Classe CA-5200

Offline S1chen

« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2018, 20:15 »
If you are planning on a magic Q3, playing in medium size room, enjoy lots of Jazz music and you have decent gears to drive it. The Q3 is one speaker hard to beat. I own the Wilson Sasha, Alexia and after I heard the Q3 side by side in my home. I sold my Alexia and I end up with a magic Q1 and Qsub15... haha.

I think there is a used Q3 in Music Image, you can consider it.

Offline jigster

« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2018, 21:03 »
MusicImage does home demo?

Offline S1chen

« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2018, 23:30 »
MusicImage does home demo?

What I know of is that if you are very interested, home demo can be arrange. If you like it after the home trial, you keep the speakers or they order a new one for you at the price both of you agreed. If you find it not suitable for you, you have to pay the transport to the delivery man to bring the speaker back.

Take note that the Speaker is 100 over kg, the price for the transportation varies if you are staying multi-storey land property where your music room is not on the ground floor.

Online nfnc

• Trade Count: (+3)
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2018, 23:34 »
what do you guys think of magico q3? any other speakers at the 30k pricepoint worth looking at?

It really depends on the music genre that you listen to and the type of sound that you are looking for.  I have heard the Q1, S1 Mk 2 and Yamaha NS5000 at MI. Other possible contenders?

- Vivid Audio G4
- Avantgarde Acoustics Uno XD
- Wilson Benesch Discovery Mk 2

Offline chainsdb

• YNWA
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2018, 01:19 »
what do u think of the ns5000
Vivid Audio Giya G2,  Passlabs 350.5, Arc ref 6, hidiamond 8 sc/pc, LUMIN t2, Wireworld Silver Eclipse 8 IC, Audiomica Rhod Ref IC, Arcam CD23T, JVC DLA-X550R, Klipsch KL-650 THX, Marantz 7703, Classe CA-5200

Offline S1chen

« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2018, 09:08 »
what do u think of the ns5000

the NS5000 is more forgiving than the magico. If u have alot of normal recording and vocal, u may like the NS5000 over the magico. If you are into jazz and love sparker and detail, Magico may be the choice.

Also take note your room size. If you to play in a big hall and play loud, I will suggest the NS5000 or at least the magico 5 series. But if you are playing in smaller room, the NS5000 12" may overload your room, and Magico Q3 will be a better option.

Offline blue_starfish

• I am a hi-fi dinosaur as I love analog
« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2018, 10:58 »
Vivids play well at low and loud playback volumes. Provided choose a speaker model to match the room.   

Online crazysurfer

« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2018, 11:15 »

The award winning Aeris from Legacy Audio is also a good value for money floor stander with a 12" passive radiator and built-in 1000W active sub for bass slam that goes below 20 Hz. However it comes with an active room correction cum crossover (Legacy Wavelet) that needs to be tuned to the room but if calibrated well, it can give this excellent speaker the performance that can revel any top brands a run for their money that will not burnt a big hole in your pocket. Well worth the audition at Tritone Audio.

Online nfnc

• Trade Count: (+3)
« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2018, 11:55 »
Not a full review yet but its promising.

Offline chainsdb

• YNWA
« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2018, 17:30 »
to be honest i have listened to wilsons before and was never satisfied....   my old-school andras in their granite cabinets and esostar tweeters just seem to sing better
« Last Edit: January 18, 2018, 18:20 by chainsdb »

Offline Northern Oak

• Snr Member
  • my hearing is getting worse
« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2018, 21:59 »
I’m seriously considering the A3, but they recommended me to audition the S1 first as it’s more suitable for our typical room sizes. Anyone who owned the S1 care to share your experiences?

I have the S1 mkII in my small study room but still had to add a JL Fathom F112 v2 to supplement the bass and ambience. The S-Sub is too big to fit in my room though.

As for amplification, I was considering the Soulution 530 and Gryphon Diablo 300. You can try out the Soulution paired with Magico but for the Diablo 300, I am not sure if Ref Audio has a demo set available. I remember reminding Reference Audio in in late 2017 and on multiple occasions that I am keen on listening to the Diablo 300. They promised to get back to me in end Nov or early Dec but I have yet to receive a call from them. Too busy recently so couldn't be bothered bugging them either.
system [msb discrete:diablo 300:s1mk2:f112v2]
cables [diamond:ceramic:tyr2:frey2:se7]

Offline tsi-dsg

« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2018, 18:34 »
I have the S1 mkII in my small study room but still had to add a JL Fathom F112 v2 to supplement the bass and ambience. The S-Sub is too big to fit in my room though.

As for amplification, I was considering the Soulution 530 and Gryphon Diablo 300. You can try out the Soulution paired with Magico but for the Diablo 300, I am not sure if Ref Audio has a demo set available. I remember reminding Reference Audio in in late 2017 and on multiple occasions that I am keen on listening to the Diablo 300. They promised to get back to me in end Nov or early Dec but I have yet to receive a call from them. Too busy recently so couldn't be bothered bugging them either.

Thanks for your input.

I’m lucky enough to hear the S1MK1 with the Diablo 300, I can really hear the synergy between both and I’m really engaged with the music, I placed my stake on the Diablo. There’s alot of refinement for the combo and I could listen for hours,now just waiting anxiously for the A3 or I might even consider a pair of S series if budget allows.

The 530 is a different beast in terms of pricing, the new 330 will be more comparable.Alvin from Music Image mentioned the Soulution will sound faster and with lifelike imaging.

Reference Audio is demoing the CH amplifications and Wilson Benesch speakers, agreed that their response might be lagging.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal