Author Topic: Magico  (Read 12224 times)

Offline Sunny130y

• Trade Count: (0)
Magico
« on: December 24, 2017, 09:44 »
Understand they are beyond reach of most but seen more discussion on other super expensive speakers like Wilson, Rockford too here, wonder why not much discussion here.

Their latest U$9.8k Magico A3 due to be released next year is intriguing, aluminum cabinet, beryllium tweeters, etc for the price. Don’t see local dealer Music Image promoting too??

http://magico.net/Marketing/Press_Release_A3.php

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline S1chen

Re: Magico
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2017, 05:36 »
The demo speaker is not ready yet. It is likely the local agent will get its demo pair only on mid 2018. But admit this is a good price tag for anyone who dream to own a Magico for a long time.

Offline tsi-dsg

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2017, 11:18 »
Agreed, it’s something worth looking out for in 2018, hopefully the local agent will price it right.

Offline tsi-dsg

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2018, 14:28 »
Just checked with MI, ETA will be end March, 3 pairs will available.

I’m seriously considering the A3, but they recommended me to audition the S1 first as it’s more suitable for our typical room sizes. Anyone who owned the S1 care to share your experiences?

As for amplification, I am in search of a integrated amp to match the Magicos, the reason is cos I need to hook it up for AV purposes hence Pre/Power isn’t my option. I’ve read great reviews using Gryphon Diablo, Soulution 330, Vitus RI 100 etc, the Hegel H360 was being used to drive the Magicos with good results, as I’m a current H160 owner and familar with the signature sound Hegel possess, my only concern is will it really do justice for the speakers? I rely heavily in streaming music,Hegels do have built in dac and AirPlay so I’m really spoilt by it. I guessed my next move will be a integrated amp with HT bypass,built in dac preferred plus a streamer, or a streaming player with built in Dac.

Can anyone recommend alternatives  than those brands mentioned to drive the Magicos well, My Budget is around $15k.

Thanks

Offline S1chen

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2018, 19:12 »
Just checked with MI, ETA will be end March, 3 pairs will available.

I’m seriously considering the A3, but they recommended me to audition the S1 first as it’s more suitable for our typical room sizes. Anyone who owned the S1 care to share your experiences?

As for amplification, I am in search of a integrated amp to match the Magicos, the reason is cos I need to hook it up for AV purposes hence Pre/Power isn’t my option. I’ve read great reviews using Gryphon Diablo, Soulution 330, Vitus RI 100 etc, the Hegel H360 was being used to drive the Magicos with good results, as I’m a current H160 owner and familar with the signature sound Hegel possess, my only concern is will it really do justice for the speakers? I rely heavily in streaming music,Hegels do have built in dac and AirPlay so I’m really spoilt by it. I guessed my next move will be a integrated amp with HT bypass,built in dac preferred plus a streamer, or a streaming player with built in Dac.

Can anyone recommend alternatives  than those brands mentioned to drive the Magicos well, My Budget is around $15k.

Thanks

I recall Music Image have an used Gryphon Diablo. you can get a used unit and allow more cash for the source. For the streaming player, do you mean a streaming from ethernet or a music server with Harddisk?

Offline Sunny130y

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2018, 19:41 »
Looking forward to auditioning the A3 when it’s here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline tsi-dsg

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2018, 20:23 »
I recall Music Image have an used Gryphon Diablo. you can get a used unit and allow more cash for the source. For the streaming player, do you mean a streaming from ethernet or a music server with Harddisk?

Hi, I meant streaming from internet like Spotify and Tidal.

I saw the Diablo, as the amp runs hot and it’s aging, was worried about the condition but I may consider that option too.

Offline S1chen

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2018, 07:55 »
If u base mainly only on Ethernet music. One option I can think of is the Linn DS Majik. It is not too expensive and it sound very good for the price. It is also very reliable n get constant update.

Offline tsi-dsg

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2018, 13:54 »
If u base mainly only on Ethernet music. One option I can think of is the Linn DS Majik. It is not too expensive and it sound very good for the price. It is also very reliable n get constant update.

The Majik seems pretty neat, but will be better with built in dac, do u own it?

Offline S1chen

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2018, 20:47 »
The Majik seems pretty neat, but will be better with built in dac, do u own it?

The Majik is a build in DAC and I own it before. That is why I made this recommendation to you. Unlike some of the music server with dac, the Linn mid and high is not aggressive and you will enjoy it for long time.

I have it for 4 years before I upgrade to the Light Harmonic Davinci with PC server.

The only problems with the Majik is that it only have unbalance, can only play PCM and up to 192K. but if your main target is Spotify, Tidal, and do not Main unbalance output. This is a very good music server/dac to start.

Offline tsi-dsg

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2018, 11:46 »
The Majik is a build in DAC and I own it before. That is why I made this recommendation to you. Unlike some of the music server with dac, the Linn mid and high is not aggressive and you will enjoy it for long time.

I have it for 4 years before I upgrade to the Light Harmonic Davinci with PC server.

The only problems with the Majik is that it only have unbalance, can only play PCM and up to 192K. but if your main target is Spotify, Tidal, and do not Main unbalance output. This is a very good music server/dac to start.

Thanks for the recommendation, I will put that in my list, I will be exploring the likes of Auralic, Lumin etc.

Are u still playing thru the Q1?

Offline S1chen

« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2018, 08:28 »
No, I have change to the horns mummy 1 year plus ago. But I still using the magico Qsub15

Offline tsi-dsg

« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2018, 15:30 »
No, I have change to the horns mummy 1 year plus ago. But I still using the magico Qsub15

Thats a completely different ball game, mind me asking why the change?

Offline S1chen

« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2018, 17:54 »
Because I am playing with triode tube amp and the magico q1 is 86dB, now with the 93dB horns Mummy, I don't have problem with any tube amps.

Anyway, the Magico speakers still very high performance speakers, they just need good amps to pair up.

Offline chainsdb

• Trade Count: (-1)
  • YNWA
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2018, 15:12 »
what do you guys think of magico q3? any other speakers at the 30k pricepoint worth looking at?
Vivid Audio Giya G2,  Passlabs 350.5, Arc ref 6, hidiamond 8 sc/pc, LUMIN t2, Wireworld Silver Eclipse 8 IC, Audiomica Rhod Ref IC, Arcam CD23T, JVC DLA-X550R, Klipsch KL-650 THX, Marantz 7703, Classe CA-5200

Offline blue_starfish

• I am a hi-fi dinosaur as I love analog
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2018, 17:19 »
what do you guys think of magico q3? any other speakers at the 30k pricepoint worth looking at?

Looking at your pre/power, logical alternative would be Wilson. Since you bought gear from HER, you can ask for a home demo. Another good brand would be Vivid. Yamaha NS5000M sounds very good when properly driven. Now you can hear them at Music Image. For something totally plain in looks but mind-blowing when properly matched, give the big active ATCs a listen. Especially at high volume.   

Offline crazysurfer

« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2018, 18:12 »
any other speakers at the 30k pricepoint worth looking at?

Can try the legendary Chario from Italy. Heard their top of the line flagship reference speaker, Serendipity from their Academy Series and was blown away by its sheer musicality & tight n deep bass.

Really awesome & badass speakers if you can accommodate its huge footprint into your listening room and also easy on the pocket (just below S$40K). Their signature solid Walnut finishing looks is to die for.

A trademark of true Italian craftsmanship & a beauty to behold.

Offline chainsdb

• YNWA
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2018, 19:27 »
thks guys good food for thought
Vivid Audio Giya G2,  Passlabs 350.5, Arc ref 6, hidiamond 8 sc/pc, LUMIN t2, Wireworld Silver Eclipse 8 IC, Audiomica Rhod Ref IC, Arcam CD23T, JVC DLA-X550R, Klipsch KL-650 THX, Marantz 7703, Classe CA-5200

Offline S1chen

« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2018, 20:15 »
If you are planning on a magic Q3, playing in medium size room, enjoy lots of Jazz music and you have decent gears to drive it. The Q3 is one speaker hard to beat. I own the Wilson Sasha, Alexia and after I heard the Q3 side by side in my home. I sold my Alexia and I end up with a magic Q1 and Qsub15... haha.

I think there is a used Q3 in Music Image, you can consider it.

Offline jigster

« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2018, 21:03 »
MusicImage does home demo?

Offline S1chen

« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2018, 23:30 »
MusicImage does home demo?

What I know of is that if you are very interested, home demo can be arrange. If you like it after the home trial, you keep the speakers or they order a new one for you at the price both of you agreed. If you find it not suitable for you, you have to pay the transport to the delivery man to bring the speaker back.

Take note that the Speaker is 100 over kg, the price for the transportation varies if you are staying multi-storey land property where your music room is not on the ground floor.

Offline nfnc

• Trade Count: (+3)
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2018, 23:34 »

It really depends on the music genre that you listen to and the type of sound that you are looking for.  I have heard the Q1, S1 Mk 2 and Yamaha NS5000 at MI. Other possible contenders?

- Vivid Audio G4
- Avantgarde Acoustics Uno XD
- Wilson Benesch Discovery Mk 2

Offline chainsdb

• YNWA
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2018, 01:19 »
what do u think of the ns5000

Offline S1chen

« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2018, 09:08 »
what do u think of the ns5000

the NS5000 is more forgiving than the magico. If u have alot of normal recording and vocal, u may like the NS5000 over the magico. If you are into jazz and love sparker and detail, Magico may be the choice.

Also take note your room size. If you to play in a big hall and play loud, I will suggest the NS5000 or at least the magico 5 series. But if you are playing in smaller room, the NS5000 12" may overload your room, and Magico Q3 will be a better option.

Offline blue_starfish

• I am a hi-fi dinosaur as I love analog
« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2018, 10:58 »
Vivids play well at low and loud playback volumes. Provided choose a speaker model to match the room.   

Offline crazysurfer

« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2018, 11:15 »

The award winning Aeris from Legacy Audio is also a good value for money floor stander with a 12" passive radiator and built-in 1000W active sub for bass slam that goes below 20 Hz. However it comes with an active room correction cum crossover (Legacy Wavelet) that needs to be tuned to the room but if calibrated well, it can give this excellent speaker the performance that can revel any top brands a run for their money that will not burnt a big hole in your pocket. Well worth the audition at Tritone Audio.

Offline nfnc

• Trade Count: (+3)
« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2018, 11:55 »
Not a full review yet but its promising.

Offline chainsdb

• YNWA
« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2018, 17:30 »
to be honest i have listened to wilsons before and was never satisfied....   my old-school andras in their granite cabinets and esostar tweeters just seem to sing better
« Last Edit: January 18, 2018, 18:20 by chainsdb »

Offline Northern Oak

• Snr Member
  • my hearing is getting worse
« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2018, 21:59 »

I have the S1 mkII in my small study room but still had to add a JL Fathom F112 v2 to supplement the bass and ambience. The S-Sub is too big to fit in my room though.

As for amplification, I was considering the Soulution 530 and Gryphon Diablo 300. You can try out the Soulution paired with Magico but for the Diablo 300, I am not sure if Ref Audio has a demo set available. I remember reminding Reference Audio in in late 2017 and on multiple occasions that I am keen on listening to the Diablo 300. They promised to get back to me in end Nov or early Dec but I have yet to receive a call from them. Too busy recently so couldn't be bothered bugging them either.
system [msb discrete:diablo 300:s1mk2:f112v2]
cables [diamond:ceramic:tyr2:frey2:se7]

Offline tsi-dsg

« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2018, 18:34 »
I have the S1 mkII in my small study room but still had to add a JL Fathom F112 v2 to supplement the bass and ambience. The S-Sub is too big to fit in my room though.

As for amplification, I was considering the Soulution 530 and Gryphon Diablo 300. You can try out the Soulution paired with Magico but for the Diablo 300, I am not sure if Ref Audio has a demo set available. I remember reminding Reference Audio in in late 2017 and on multiple occasions that I am keen on listening to the Diablo 300. They promised to get back to me in end Nov or early Dec but I have yet to receive a call from them. Too busy recently so couldn't be bothered bugging them either.

Thanks for your input.

I’m lucky enough to hear the S1MK1 with the Diablo 300, I can really hear the synergy between both and I’m really engaged with the music, I placed my stake on the Diablo. There’s alot of refinement for the combo and I could listen for hours,now just waiting anxiously for the A3 or I might even consider a pair of S series if budget allows.

The 530 is a different beast in terms of pricing, the new 330 will be more comparable.Alvin from Music Image mentioned the Soulution will sound faster and with lifelike imaging.

Reference Audio is demoing the CH amplifications and Wilson Benesch speakers, agreed that their response might be lagging.

Offline malsound

« Reply #30 on: June 24, 2018, 10:22 »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/JZZtTvDoTBk&fs=1" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/JZZtTvDoTBk&fs=1</a>
why is it so dam  hard to obsoleted this turning pieces of equipment ?

https://youtu.be/y3RIHnK0_NE

https://youtu.be/FELbmXdS4xM

Offline twilo

« Reply #31 on: June 28, 2018, 00:13 »
Thanks for your input.

I’m lucky enough to hear the S1MK1 with the Diablo 300, I can really hear the synergy between both and I’m really engaged with the music, I placed my stake on the Diablo. There’s alot of refinement for the combo and I could listen for hours,now just waiting anxiously for the A3 or I might even consider a pair of S series if budget allows.

The 530 is a different beast in terms of pricing, the new 330 will be more comparable.Alvin from Music Image mentioned the Soulution will sound faster and with lifelike imaging.

Reference Audio is demoing the CH amplifications and Wilson Benesch speakers, agreed that their response might be lagging.

I have the S1 mk1 driven by a Vitus SIA-025 in a room 3.3m x 6 m, speakers on the short wall, about 2m apart.  More than adequate bass for me, did not need / want subs - particularly after a break-in period.  I listen to all sorts of music, from jazz to vocal to classical to rock, indie, EDM, and even cheesy 80s pop :)  It's not terribly forgiving of badly recorded music (80s music, particularly bad) but is surprisingly flattering to a wide range of music.

You probably have made your choice but if you would like a listen let me know.

Offline tsi-dsg

« Reply #32 on: June 28, 2018, 23:18 »
I have the S1 mk1 driven by a Vitus SIA-025 in a room 3.3m x 6 m, speakers on the short wall, about 2m apart.  More than adequate bass for me, did not need / want subs - particularly after a break-in period.  I listen to all sorts of music, from jazz to vocal to classical to rock, indie, EDM, and even cheesy 80s pop :)  It's not terribly forgiving of badly recorded music (80s music, particularly bad) but is surprisingly flattering to a wide range of music.

You probably have made your choice but if you would like a listen let me know.

Hi there

Yes I had ordered my pair of A3 and will be delivered by next week.

Yes I would definitely love to pay you a visit if u don mind playing the host:)

Offline tsi-dsg

« Reply #33 on: July 03, 2018, 11:43 »
Anyone here also booked the A3?

I just received the first pair in sg and doing some adjustments, but boy they sounded very good and I will say its 20-30% better than in the showroom even with my modest system.

Offline S1chen

« Reply #34 on: July 04, 2018, 08:04 »
Congratulations to your new toys. Indeed the A3 is a nice size for Singapore general music room.

It retain the high resolution and clear tight bass like their big old Q series but more easy to drive. And it is more affordable than their older series.

Offline tsi-dsg

« Reply #35 on: July 04, 2018, 18:00 »
Congratulations to your new toys. Indeed the A3 is a nice size for Singapore general music room.

It retain the high resolution and clear tight bass like their big old Q series but more easy to drive. And it is more affordable than their older series.

Yes i will have to agree that the A3 is well suited to enclosed room, the showroom is not doing enough justice to the speakers, its affordable and no compromise in SQ.

Offline malsound

« Reply #36 on: July 13, 2018, 19:47 »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/btbPOOmsyek&fs=1" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/btbPOOmsyek&fs=1</a>

Offline AndrewC

« Reply #37 on: November 04, 2018, 10:47 »
Visual evidence of why these guys are among the best in the business :)

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/r5OMquMru3Y&fs=1" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/r5OMquMru3Y&fs=1</a>
You'll never get to heaven with a smile on your face from me.

Offline tsi-dsg

« Reply #38 on: November 04, 2018, 12:35 »
Indeed they make extraordinary speakers which makes u enjoy any music played through them. I’m very happy to be a Magico owner though the entry model, guess I will be stuck with the Magico badge for a long time.

Any A3 new owners out here since the new shipment had arrive? Pls share your thoughts.

Offline tsi-dsg

« Reply #39 on: November 26, 2018, 21:57 »
The Magico Apods are launching soon, its made for A3 and S1mkII, any users considering to get them?

http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/magico-introduces-apod8-spiked-loudspeaker-footers/

Offline ronildoq

• Trade Count: (+2)
« Reply #40 on: June 14, 2020, 11:04 »
Coming soon M9 Flagship in Q4 2020 $750k !!!

From magico:

A summation of our no-holds-barred assault on the limits of dynamic loudspeaker design, the new Magico M9 establishes new benchmarks in musicality, transparency and fidelity. This four-way, six-driver floor standing system features the world’s first loudspeaker enclosure to combine inner and outer skins of carbon fiber with a revolutionary aluminum honeycomb core. Included with the M9 is a state-of-the-art analog outboard active crossover, the MXO.

Some pics to drool

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Offline tsi-dsg

« Reply #41 on: June 14, 2020, 12:12 »
Coming soon M9 Flagship in Q4 2020 $750k !!!

From magico:

A summation of our no-holds-barred assault on the limits of dynamic loudspeaker design, the new Magico M9 establishes new benchmarks in musicality, transparency and fidelity. This four-way, six-driver floor standing system features the world’s first loudspeaker enclosure to combine inner and outer skins of carbon fiber with a revolutionary aluminum honeycomb core. Included with the M9 is a state-of-the-art analog outboard active crossover, the MXO.

Some pics to drool

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Very nice pair of speakers, always impressed with the advancement of their speaker designs and materials used. If I can afford(in my dreams), its whether to get a pair of M9 or 4 pairs of M6 for HT with some loose change hahaha

Offline malsound

« Reply #42 on: June 14, 2020, 12:39 »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/iSe8COhe9dk&fs=1" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/iSe8COhe9dk&fs=1</a>

Offline chewed

« Reply #43 on: June 15, 2020, 07:20 »
Very nice pair of speakers, always impressed with the advancement of their speaker designs and materials used. If I can afford(in my dreams), its whether to get a pair of M9 or 4 pairs of M6 for HT with some loose change hahaha

even if can afford it,  it weighs 454 KG each, the floor bearing load per m2 might not be able to take it.

Offline abc

« Reply #44 on: June 16, 2020, 14:44 »
even if can afford it,  it weighs 454 KG each, the floor bearing load per m2 might not be able to take it.

If one can afford this speaker. This is NOT even a problem la.

Offline exclusive

• Trade Count: (+1)
« Reply #45 on: June 16, 2020, 15:12 »

hahha, ya lo. the person will not be staying in HDB or condo.

should have dedicated room specially built for audio.
7.2.4 [DENON X3600H,MINIDSP DDRC 88A/2x4HD, ANTHEM MCA 3 POWER AMP POWERING KEF LS50 LCR C/W GRILLES,ADA MPA 5 POWERING DEFINITIVE TECHNOLOGY PROMONITOR 1000 AS SURROUND ON SANUS STAND,DEFINITIVE TECHNOLOGY PROMONITOR 800 HEIGHTS, RYTHMIK FV15HP+F15HP]
LG OLED 55C7
Zidoo z9s w/ ext HDD SATA

Offline chewed

« Reply #46 on: June 16, 2020, 17:27 »
Many rich people live in condo as well.

Sent from my MAR-LX2 using Tapatalk

Offline tsi-dsg

« Reply #47 on: June 16, 2020, 18:05 »
Many rich people live in condo as well.

Many rich ppl stay in HDBs also haha

Offline chewed

« Reply #48 on: June 18, 2020, 12:31 »

Yep, hence the comment about the floor loading.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal