Author Topic: Constructing a network based sound system using Airplay across multiple floors  (Read 5887 times)

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Bring the "Cinema experience" back home...
A shout out to bro kardtoon for his tips and the recommendation of the Google Mesh.
So the Starhub man came, it was a little worrisome when his first words were - "you are using a US Google" - thankfully he was kind enough to give enough pointers and Google Mesh was really simple to setup.
First thing one should do: Download the app before your Internet Provider Comes!
So from the storeroom, a single Lan line goes out to the LAN port, and from that, another LAN point adjacent to it, is attached to the LAN out from the Mesh device. Now you have your first Access Point.
The app will try to locate this first AP and once that's done, then use LAN to beam it across the room, then Google app will do the needful update of your devices - takes about 5 mins.. and the app takes you through the process in a very simple fashion ala Mac.
Then plug the second Mesh into another LAN point, get the app to add this and any more Mesh devices and in about 30 mins, I was up and running. The app has it's own speed test function and I'm getting around 800 mps for up and downloading.  Sweet.

Welcome to the mesh wi-fi community...better late than never.

Online petetherock

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Sidere Mens Eadem Mutato
    • My Music, Movie and Equipment Musings...
Mesh is a rather interesting creature..
You can get pretty impressive speeds with LAN mesh obviously, but strategically placed Mesh points are fast too.... that allows places with no LAN to be reached...
You will be surprised - like power sockets, there's always room for more...
Please post instead of sending a pm, so more can learn.

My gear:
http://peteswrite.blogspot.com/2019/04/my-setup-42019.html

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
Mesh is a rather interesting creature..
You can get pretty impressive speeds with LAN mesh obviously, but strategically placed Mesh points are fast too.... that allows places with no LAN to be reached...
You will be surprised - like power sockets, there's always room for more...

Yep...Wi-Fi 6 is here...google it to read more about it. But at the moment, don't buy router that support this "new" Wi-Fi format as there is no accessories like network adaptor to take advantage of. But do keep an eye on it.

Offline wizardofoz

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • Dont take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive
Well if you have a good backbone lan infrastructure you should be good to go.

As for easy whole house sound system ...there are things out there that work better than others. Personally I use Roon and a myriad of endpoints like raspberry pi, sonica, chromecast and appletv plus some different DACs too. Control is all by iOS devices predominantly but also macs and pc apps
« Last Edit: March 19, 2019, 22:15 by wizardofoz »
I have a pile of stuff that pushes out squiggly waveforms from smaller squiggly waveforms that sometimes come from 1's and 0's.
It's wonderful to behold as long as you don't let the magic smoke out.

Life is short! Enjoy the music while it plays, when it stops, there might be a chair for you...or  maybe not.

Online petetherock

Very odd... with the Google internal speed test, I get 780-860 on wifi.. with the Speedtest, it drops to 80 mps ???

My gear:

Offline queks

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • XtremePlace.Com Forever!
    • XtremePlace
I been using netgear orbi mesh and backbone connected via Moca coax. So far very stable and good speed.
*** XtremePlace ! Don't leave home without it ! ***

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
Very odd... with the Google internal speed test, I get 780-860 on wifi.. with the Speedtest, it drops to 80 mps ???

It really depends where is the speed test been conducted. Google probably chose a server (possibly their own) which is/are located nearest to Singapore while Speedtest (third thirty) may be relying on nearest server dished out by local telcos or domain hosts. This may explain to fluctuations in speed test. There is nothing to be overly concerned about. Just make sure streaming 4K clips posed no issue.

Online petetherock

Some cable voodoo going on here..
I was using a Cat 6 cable and for laughs my cousin said try another - wham! Speeds reached 950 mps!
Then on a different input on level two, I thought the cable there looked old, so I took out the existing gray cable, and used a proven Cat 6 cable (tried it on my Mac before) and suddenly the other connections dropped to 300 mps! I replaced that with the old gray cable and the speeds leapt back to 950 mps...
Can't explain this man..

My gear:

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
I was using a Cat 6 cable and for laughs my cousin said try another - wham! Speeds reached 950 mps!
Then on a different input on level two, I thought the cable there looked old, so I took out the existing gray cable, and used a proven Cat 6 cable (tried it on my Mac before) and suddenly the other connections dropped to 300 mps! I replaced that with the old gray cable and the speeds leapt back to 950 mps...
Can't explain this man..

No comments on that...

Offline econav

• Trade Count: (+2)
Can't explain this man..

There is a terms called Return loss or Insertion loss.
We are not second hand dealer , all items we sell as used are tradedin from our customer and we don't rate it condition but for the buyer to decide on it own.
From time to time we may sell off some New but open up used for rental/standby/loan items and to ensure they cant be sold as Brand new , we will dispose off the box.
all post
http://www.xtremeplace.com/yabbse/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2968
Service & collection : Block 1085 #03-36 Eunos Ave 7A  whatsapp 96387418 to arrange

Online petetherock

My gear: