Author Topic: Constructing a network based sound system using Airplay across multiple floors  (Read 5891 times)

Offline kardtoon

• Trade Count: (0)
Thanks bro
Been doing some reading..
So I don't need LAN ports then?
Can they 'beam' across floors? Or do I need to lay LAN ports on different floors?
https://blog.google/products/google-wifi/making-mesh-your-wi-fi/

First unit should be near your fiber point and connected to your fiber modem.

Rest of them do not need LAN points, however best to have them all situated around stair so there is open stair well rather than for signal to go through floors.

As others have said, if you are doing renovations, just do up LAN points. It's the best option. If installing LAN is too much pain, mesh is next best alternative.

Full disclosure, 4 of my Google wifi units use LAN back haul. 1 of them out in my balcony does not use LAN.

Offline ralfale

• Trade Count: (+1)
Point to note, mesh option means you need power point at various strategic router position.

Offline Doggie Howser

The next thing is your airplay devices. I haven't found a great solution to that. I'm hopeful that the sonos which are supposed to get updated with airplay 2 in 2018 will solve it for me.

Look at Roon as a way to get multi room/zone streaming. Much more platform agnostic IMHO
End of Line - Derezzed

Offline kardtoon

Look at Roon as a way to get multi room/zone streaming. Much more platform agnostic IMHO

Nowadays I'm almost exclusively streaming music on Apple Music

Offline Doggie Howser

Last night my customer messaged me. His wife just switched on his TIDAL subscription by mistake. Instead of her usual Spotify.

She was stunned.

Now she’s using his subscription. So I told him to get a family plan.

I used Apple Music - it was free with my
Mobile plan for a year. But only when I was using air pods or when I’m searching for new music to buy.

End of Line - Derezzed

Offline kardtoon

Last night my customer messaged me. His wife just switched on his TIDAL subscription by mistake. Instead of her usual Spotify.

She was stunned.

Now she’s using his subscription. So I told him to get a family plan.

I used Apple Music - it was free with my
Mobile plan for a year. But only when I was using air pods or when I’m searching for new music to buy.

That's the part I enjoy most about apple music. The recommendation engine is better than Spotify

Offline petetherock

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Sidere Mens Eadem Mutato
    • My Music, Movie and Equipment Musings...
Hi bros, how much do you think a mesh network for a three storey place will cost?
Energy bills?
Will it be a lot more than three networks via three routers for three floors?

https://www.extremetech.com/electronics/251626-setting-mesh-network-home-small-office
Please post instead of sending a pm, so more can learn.

My gear:
http://peteswrite.blogspot.com/2019/04/my-setup-42019.html

Offline petetherock

First unit should be near your fiber point and connected to your fiber modem.

Rest of them do not need LAN points, however best to have them all situated around stair so there is open stair well rather than for signal to go through floors.

As others have said, if you are doing renovations, just do up LAN points. It's the best option. If installing LAN is too much pain, mesh is next best alternative.

Full disclosure, 4 of my Google wifi units use LAN back haul. 1 of them out in my balcony does not use LAN.

Trying to learn how I can connect up Google Mesh:
Do you need to plug each Mesh device into LAN? Will that help speed things up?
One Mesh per floor ok?

My gear:

Offline kardtoon

You don't need to plug each node into LAN but it will help to speed things up if you do. For your place, 1 node per floor may not be okay. Depends on size, number of walls etc. Best to look at floor plan and go from there.

I think it's good practise to plan wifi node placements and ensure that at each point, there is a power point and at least 1 LAN point (2 is recommended). This will ensure that there is future upgradability. Wifi will continue to improve and progress... when Wifi 6 becomes available, you should be able to switch equipment easily.

Offline petetherock

Thanks bro for the advice and also for coming to help plus your important tips:

Make sure your vendor supports it. Eg, Singtel Fibre uses a different VLAN so, no joy for that.

https://peteswrite.blogspot.com/2019/01/setting-up-mesh-network-in-your-home.html

For the primary access point, make sure it's quite central and the signal can reach the second wifi point easily.

Using LAN to connect is better and prevents slowdowns.

Now if you have a dedicated area or room for your switches, routers and the FTP, you may want to send a signal via LAN to the first access point from the ONT, then route it back to your switch located in your storeroom / server area.

This allows the Mesh Wifi to reach the other points more easily as the signal will be stronger.

My gear:

Offline petetherock

I wonder if anyone has managed to get their Google Mesh WiFi to work with Singtel?
The VLAN and double NAT issues is making an IT idiot like me dizzy ...

My gear:

Offline wizardofoz

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • Dont take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive
Singtel internet is the dogs bollocks (edit output)...I would never ever recommend it. they use crap gear and VLAns etc...just a nightmare.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2019, 12:35 by wizardofoz »
I have a pile of stuff that pushes out squiggly waveforms from smaller squiggly waveforms that sometimes come from 1's and 0's.
It's wonderful to behold as long as you don't let the magic smoke out.

Life is short! Enjoy the music while it plays, when it stops, there might be a chair for you...or  maybe not.

Offline petetherock

Thanks bro for the advice and also for coming to help plus your important tips:

Make sure your vendor supports it. Eg, Singtel Fibre uses a different VLAN so, no joy for that.

https://peteswrite.blogspot.com/2019/01/setting-up-mesh-network-in-your-home.html

For the primary access point, make sure it's quite central and the signal can reach the second wifi point easily.

Using LAN to connect is better and prevents slowdowns.

Now if you have a dedicated area or room for your switches, routers and the FTP, you may want to send a signal via LAN to the first access point from the ONT, then route it back to your switch located in your storeroom / server area.

This allows the Mesh Wifi to reach the other points more easily as the signal will be stronger.

A shout out to bro kardtoon for his tips and the recommendation of the Google Mesh.
So the Starhub man came, it was a little worrisome when his first words were - "you are using a US Google" - thankfully he was kind enough to give enough pointers and Google Mesh was really simple to setup.
First thing one should do: Download the app before your Internet Provider Comes!
So from the storeroom, a single Lan line goes out to the LAN port, and from that, another LAN point adjacent to it, is attached to the LAN out from the Mesh device. Now you have your first Access Point.
The app will try to locate this first AP and once that's done, then use LAN to beam it across the room, then Google app will do the needful update of your devices - takes about 5 mins.. and the app takes you through the process in a very simple fashion ala Mac.
Then plug the second Mesh into another LAN point, get the app to add this and any more Mesh devices and in about 30 mins, I was up and running. The app has it's own speed test function and I'm getting around 800 mps for up and downloading.  Sweet.

My gear:

Offline Jag

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
Singtel internet is the dogs bollocks...I would never ever recommend it. they use crap gear and VLAns etc...just a nightmare.

Wiz

Dogs bollocks means it’s the best.
Electronics : Denon 7200, MiniDSP Dirac 88A, Emotiva XPA-5 Gen2
ATMOS Audio : Martin Logan Ethos (L&R), ML Motif X(C), ML Motion 4 (14pcs surround spkrs)
LFE : Dual Rythmik FV25HP & Crowson Motion Actuator
Video : Sony VPL-HW55ES, Stewart Screen Studiotek 1.3
Source : HTPC
Fully automated HT via Alexa, Z-wave and Logitech Harmony Remote Control

Offline wizardofoz

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • Dont take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive
Wiz

Dogs bollocks means it’s the best.

Ahhh  >:( then I was implying that it is what comes out of the dogs bollocks then. Hence the "I would never recommend it." ???
I have a pile of stuff that pushes out squiggly waveforms from smaller squiggly waveforms that sometimes come from 1's and 0's.
It's wonderful to behold as long as you don't let the magic smoke out.

Life is short! Enjoy the music while it plays, when it stops, there might be a chair for you...or  maybe not.