Author Topic: Constructing a network based sound system using Airplay across multiple floors  (Read 4991 times)

Online petetherock

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Sidere Mens Eadem Mutato
    • My Music, Movie and Equipment Musings...
Need some help bros..
I would like to use one Mac, and play music across a few rooms, which are located on multiple floors.
I understand that the signal for the wifi won't go up to the second floor, and definitely not the attic.
So can I ask, how I can stream music across a few floors / rooms?
Do I use repeaters?
Do they have to be Apple Routers / modems / Extreme (sorry if it's the wrong term)..

Thanks
Please post instead of sending a pm, so more can learn.

My gear:
http://peteswrite.blogspot.com/2019/04/my-setup-42019.html

Online petetherock

Also, if we have a central optical fibre point, and we build LAN lines to each room, then setup routers in each room / floor, will that work, or do the devices needs to be somehow 'seen' on the same network?

That may lead to a different question on how to make the different routers use the 'same' network.. sorry bros, IT stuff isn't my forte..

My gear:

Offline Boxerfan88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Life begins at 7000rpm
I’d suggest LAN as the core; best done during renovation.

1. Wire a couple of LAN points from each room; WiFi repeater point; TV area; HT area; fiber point; to a central location.
2. At the central location, join all the LAN points to a gigabit dumb switch.
3. At the fiber point; connect one of the router intranet LAN port (typically a set of 4 ports) to your gigabit switch. This basically extends your home subnet to all LAN ports in your house.

By doing the above, the home LAN & wifi will begin the same subnet; so you can stream to any device in the home network.

This is the setup I have, works beautifully.
In my case, the central point is inside the false ceiling (near an access hole). I asked the ID to put a power socket inside the false ceiling to power the  gigabit switch.
Also choose the gigabit switch with a built in fan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: December 23, 2017, 22:59 by Boxerfan88 »
Soekris dac1541 | DA&T A38  | Usher MD2+X616 | Orisun DD12 | Samsung PS50B850 | Elementa BAC 2500 |
Yammy RXA3030 | RPi3+Kodi | BDP-S5100 | PC+foobar2000 | Chromecast

Offline kardtoon

• Trade Count: (0)
I use Google wife  across 3 floors and 7 bedrooms. So a mesh network could work. Alternatively use a mixture of AP over LAN.

Repeaters are not recommended due to halving  the bandwidth.

Offline kardtoon

The next thing is your airplay devices. I haven't found a great solution to that. I'm hopeful that the sonos which are supposed to get updated with airplay 2 in 2018 will solve it for me.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2017, 16:08 by kardtoon »

Offline Sunblock

What I did is using product from Como Audio for streaming music to individual or selected room with the router located on the 2nd floor using cat 6 from the ground floor ONT. No wi-fi extender or bridging router or repeater is deployed after google mesh is installed.

No wi-fi issues at the ground level and 2x google wi-fi mesh units are installed inside the 2 rooms on the 3rd floor to get rid of "dead or blind" wifi spots even with the door closed.

To have a better understanding of the devices which I am using ie Duetto & Amico for multi-room connectivity, check out this link:

https://www.comoaudio.com/

Online petetherock

I use Google wife  across 3 floors and 7 bedrooms. So a mesh network could work. Alternatively use a mixture of AP over LAN.

Repeaters are not recommended due to halving  the bandwidth.
Thanks for the tip, I have a lot to read up on how to do this..
Installing LAN points will be a big job.. those bros who have been to my place will understand why :)

My gear:

Offline Doggie Howser

a. wired LAN is best - and you can use wireless APs to extend coverage throughout the house

b. second best is Mesh. Not as good as wired LAN but at least it kinda works.

multiple wireless APs != Mesh. Wireless AP still need to be connected to a wired LAN port. For Mesh only the main Node is connected to the LAN. But lag is higher

Airport Express can be wired. They run better wired. That way the wireless bandwidth is only for your mobile device like your phone. If the music you are playing is from a NAS or the internet, your wireless bandwidth would be split 3x

e.g. TIDAL from internet/music from NAS ->router -wireless-> phone

phone -wirelessAirplay->router

router wireless -> Airplay Device

Chances of drop outs occur

Personally prefer the use of Roon/TIDAL integration to multiple devices in the house.
End of Line - Derezzed

Offline lkypeter

• So much more to discover in classical music
    • Politics Economics Business Altruism Music Singapore
Might want to get a smart gigabit switch instead that supports traffic prioritization like the TPLink 108E instead of 108. Difference is $10 only. Plus they support trunking of multiple gigabit from NAS.
http://lkypeter.blogspot.com
Gradient Revolution MarkIV Active Speakers,Ayon Stealth DAC,SoTM SMS200,NanoTech Golden Strada#301powercables,Synology1817+NAS,MacMiniCore2DUO8GB,YamahaRVX3067,SonyBDPS790,DenonX4000,PioneerBDP180

Online petetherock

a. wired LAN is best - and you can use wireless APs to extend coverage throughout the house

b. second best is Mesh. Not as good as wired LAN but at least it kinda works.

multiple wireless APs != Mesh. Wireless AP still need to be connected to a wired LAN port. For Mesh only the main Node is connected to the LAN. But lag is higher

Airport Express can be wired. They run better wired. That way the wireless bandwidth is only for your mobile device like your phone. If the music you are playing is from a NAS or the internet, your wireless bandwidth would be split 3x

e.g. TIDAL from internet/music from NAS ->router -wireless-> phone

phone -wirelessAirplay->router

router wireless -> Airplay Device

Chances of drop outs occur

Personally prefer the use of Roon/TIDAL integration to multiple devices in the house.
Thanks but a lot of it is way over my head...
What's AP? Airplay?
I have a few months, will see how it goes...
Please keep contributing, let me see how I can do this, smoothly, idiot proof and without costing an arm and a leg :)

My gear:

Offline Doggie Howser

AP = access point aka wireless access points.

With the need for 4K streaming, definitely go wired
End of Line - Derezzed

Offline kardtoon

Pete, if all that confuses you...just get mesh wifi. Google wifi is the easiest and best value of the lot.

I used to use dedicated routers, 4 of them with 3 setup as AP. Then I switch to enterprise grade unifi switch, AP, controllers and PoE system. Then got bored and went to Google wifi. I'm happiest with Google wifi. Easiest to setup and performance similar or better than the enterprise grade stuff.

Do this and you can then worry about the music

Online petetherock

Pete, if all that confuses you...just get mesh wifi. Google wifi is the easiest and best value of the lot.

I used to use dedicated routers, 4 of them with 3 setup as AP. Then I switch to enterprise grade unifi switch, AP, controllers and PoE system. Then got bored and went to Google wifi. I'm happiest with Google wifi. Easiest to setup and performance similar or better than the enterprise grade stuff.

Do this and you can then worry about the music
Thanks bro
Been doing some reading..
So I don't need LAN ports then?
Can they 'beam' across floors? Or do I need to lay LAN ports on different floors?
https://blog.google/products/google-wifi/making-mesh-your-wi-fi/

My gear:

Online petetherock

AP = access point aka wireless access points.

With the need for 4K streaming, definitely go wired
Thanks, will using AP allow me to be on the same network for Airplay?
https://www.linksys.com/us/r/resource-center/what-is-a-wifi-access-point/

My gear:

Offline ralfale

If laying wire is an option to all floors and room, just do it. Mesh is next best option if lan is not available. Everything will work as 1 common network for you to see all devices.

Offline kardtoon

Thanks bro
Been doing some reading..
So I don't need LAN ports then?
Can they 'beam' across floors? Or do I need to lay LAN ports on different floors?
https://blog.google/products/google-wifi/making-mesh-your-wi-fi/

First unit should be near your fiber point and connected to your fiber modem.

Rest of them do not need LAN points, however best to have them all situated around stair so there is open stair well rather than for signal to go through floors.

As others have said, if you are doing renovations, just do up LAN points. It's the best option. If installing LAN is too much pain, mesh is next best alternative.

Full disclosure, 4 of my Google wifi units use LAN back haul. 1 of them out in my balcony does not use LAN.

Offline ralfale

Point to note, mesh option means you need power point at various strategic router position.

Offline Doggie Howser

The next thing is your airplay devices. I haven't found a great solution to that. I'm hopeful that the sonos which are supposed to get updated with airplay 2 in 2018 will solve it for me.

Look at Roon as a way to get multi room/zone streaming. Much more platform agnostic IMHO
End of Line - Derezzed

Offline kardtoon

Look at Roon as a way to get multi room/zone streaming. Much more platform agnostic IMHO

Nowadays I'm almost exclusively streaming music on Apple Music

Offline Doggie Howser

Last night my customer messaged me. His wife just switched on his TIDAL subscription by mistake. Instead of her usual Spotify.

She was stunned.

Now she’s using his subscription. So I told him to get a family plan.

I used Apple Music - it was free with my
Mobile plan for a year. But only when I was using air pods or when I’m searching for new music to buy.

End of Line - Derezzed

Offline kardtoon

Last night my customer messaged me. His wife just switched on his TIDAL subscription by mistake. Instead of her usual Spotify.

She was stunned.

Now she’s using his subscription. So I told him to get a family plan.

I used Apple Music - it was free with my
Mobile plan for a year. But only when I was using air pods or when I’m searching for new music to buy.

That's the part I enjoy most about apple music. The recommendation engine is better than Spotify

Online petetherock

Hi bros, how much do you think a mesh network for a three storey place will cost?
Energy bills?
Will it be a lot more than three networks via three routers for three floors?

https://www.extremetech.com/electronics/251626-setting-mesh-network-home-small-office

My gear:

Online petetherock

First unit should be near your fiber point and connected to your fiber modem.

Rest of them do not need LAN points, however best to have them all situated around stair so there is open stair well rather than for signal to go through floors.

As others have said, if you are doing renovations, just do up LAN points. It's the best option. If installing LAN is too much pain, mesh is next best alternative.

Full disclosure, 4 of my Google wifi units use LAN back haul. 1 of them out in my balcony does not use LAN.

Trying to learn how I can connect up Google Mesh:
Do you need to plug each Mesh device into LAN? Will that help speed things up?
One Mesh per floor ok?

My gear:

Offline kardtoon

You don't need to plug each node into LAN but it will help to speed things up if you do. For your place, 1 node per floor may not be okay. Depends on size, number of walls etc. Best to look at floor plan and go from there.

I think it's good practise to plan wifi node placements and ensure that at each point, there is a power point and at least 1 LAN point (2 is recommended). This will ensure that there is future upgradability. Wifi will continue to improve and progress... when Wifi 6 becomes available, you should be able to switch equipment easily.

Online petetherock

Thanks bro for the advice and also for coming to help plus your important tips:

Make sure your vendor supports it. Eg, Singtel Fibre uses a different VLAN so, no joy for that.

https://peteswrite.blogspot.com/2019/01/setting-up-mesh-network-in-your-home.html

For the primary access point, make sure it's quite central and the signal can reach the second wifi point easily.

Using LAN to connect is better and prevents slowdowns.

Now if you have a dedicated area or room for your switches, routers and the FTP, you may want to send a signal via LAN to the first access point from the ONT, then route it back to your switch located in your storeroom / server area.

This allows the Mesh Wifi to reach the other points more easily as the signal will be stronger.

My gear:

Online petetherock

I wonder if anyone has managed to get their Google Mesh WiFi to work with Singtel?
The VLAN and double NAT issues is making an IT idiot like me dizzy ...

My gear:

Offline wizardofoz

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • Dont take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive
Singtel internet is the dogs bollocks (edit output)...I would never ever recommend it. they use crap gear and VLAns etc...just a nightmare.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2019, 12:35 by wizardofoz »
I have a pile of stuff that pushes out squiggly waveforms from smaller squiggly waveforms that sometimes come from 1's and 0's.
It's wonderful to behold as long as you don't let the magic smoke out.

Life is short! Enjoy the music while it plays, when it stops, there might be a chair for you...or  maybe not.

Online petetherock

Thanks bro for the advice and also for coming to help plus your important tips:

Make sure your vendor supports it. Eg, Singtel Fibre uses a different VLAN so, no joy for that.

https://peteswrite.blogspot.com/2019/01/setting-up-mesh-network-in-your-home.html

For the primary access point, make sure it's quite central and the signal can reach the second wifi point easily.

Using LAN to connect is better and prevents slowdowns.

Now if you have a dedicated area or room for your switches, routers and the FTP, you may want to send a signal via LAN to the first access point from the ONT, then route it back to your switch located in your storeroom / server area.

This allows the Mesh Wifi to reach the other points more easily as the signal will be stronger.

A shout out to bro kardtoon for his tips and the recommendation of the Google Mesh.
So the Starhub man came, it was a little worrisome when his first words were - "you are using a US Google" - thankfully he was kind enough to give enough pointers and Google Mesh was really simple to setup.
First thing one should do: Download the app before your Internet Provider Comes!
So from the storeroom, a single Lan line goes out to the LAN port, and from that, another LAN point adjacent to it, is attached to the LAN out from the Mesh device. Now you have your first Access Point.
The app will try to locate this first AP and once that's done, then use LAN to beam it across the room, then Google app will do the needful update of your devices - takes about 5 mins.. and the app takes you through the process in a very simple fashion ala Mac.
Then plug the second Mesh into another LAN point, get the app to add this and any more Mesh devices and in about 30 mins, I was up and running. The app has it's own speed test function and I'm getting around 800 mps for up and downloading.  Sweet.

My gear:

Offline Jag

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
Singtel internet is the dogs bollocks...I would never ever recommend it. they use crap gear and VLAns etc...just a nightmare.

Wiz

Dogs bollocks means it’s the best.
Electronics : Denon 7200, MiniDSP Dirac 88A, Emotiva XPA-5 Gen2
ATMOS Audio : Martin Logan Ethos (L&R), ML Motif X(C), ML Motion 4 (14pcs surround spkrs)
LFE : Dual Rythmik FV25HP & Crowson Motion Actuator
Video : Sony VPL-HW55ES, Stewart Screen Studiotek 1.3
Source : HTPC
Fully automated HT via Alexa, Z-wave and Logitech Harmony Remote Control

Offline wizardofoz

Wiz

Dogs bollocks means it’s the best.

Ahhh  >:( then I was implying that it is what comes out of the dogs bollocks then. Hence the "I would never recommend it." ???
I have a pile of stuff that pushes out squiggly waveforms from smaller squiggly waveforms that sometimes come from 1's and 0's.

Life is short! Enjoy the music while it plays, when it stops, there might be a chair for you...or  maybe not.

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Bring the "Cinema experience" back home...
A shout out to bro kardtoon for his tips and the recommendation of the Google Mesh.
So the Starhub man came, it was a little worrisome when his first words were - "you are using a US Google" - thankfully he was kind enough to give enough pointers and Google Mesh was really simple to setup.
First thing one should do: Download the app before your Internet Provider Comes!
So from the storeroom, a single Lan line goes out to the LAN port, and from that, another LAN point adjacent to it, is attached to the LAN out from the Mesh device. Now you have your first Access Point.
The app will try to locate this first AP and once that's done, then use LAN to beam it across the room, then Google app will do the needful update of your devices - takes about 5 mins.. and the app takes you through the process in a very simple fashion ala Mac.
Then plug the second Mesh into another LAN point, get the app to add this and any more Mesh devices and in about 30 mins, I was up and running. The app has it's own speed test function and I'm getting around 800 mps for up and downloading.  Sweet.

Welcome to the mesh wi-fi community...better late than never.

Online petetherock

Mesh is a rather interesting creature..
You can get pretty impressive speeds with LAN mesh obviously, but strategically placed Mesh points are fast too.... that allows places with no LAN to be reached...
You will be surprised - like power sockets, there's always room for more...

My gear:

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
Mesh is a rather interesting creature..
You can get pretty impressive speeds with LAN mesh obviously, but strategically placed Mesh points are fast too.... that allows places with no LAN to be reached...
You will be surprised - like power sockets, there's always room for more...

Yep...Wi-Fi 6 is here...google it to read more about it. But at the moment, don't buy router that support this "new" Wi-Fi format as there is no accessories like network adaptor to take advantage of. But do keep an eye on it.

Offline wizardofoz

Well if you have a good backbone lan infrastructure you should be good to go.

As for easy whole house sound system ...there are things out there that work better than others. Personally I use Roon and a myriad of endpoints like raspberry pi, sonica, chromecast and appletv plus some different DACs too. Control is all by iOS devices predominantly but also macs and pc apps
« Last Edit: March 19, 2019, 22:15 by wizardofoz »

Online petetherock

Very odd... with the Google internal speed test, I get 780-860 on wifi.. with the Speedtest, it drops to 80 mps ???

My gear:

Offline queks

• Global Moderator
  • XtremePlace.Com Forever!
    • XtremePlace
I been using netgear orbi mesh and backbone connected via Moca coax. So far very stable and good speed.
*** XtremePlace ! Don't leave home without it ! ***

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
Very odd... with the Google internal speed test, I get 780-860 on wifi.. with the Speedtest, it drops to 80 mps ???

It really depends where is the speed test been conducted. Google probably chose a server (possibly their own) which is/are located nearest to Singapore while Speedtest (third thirty) may be relying on nearest server dished out by local telcos or domain hosts. This may explain to fluctuations in speed test. There is nothing to be overly concerned about. Just make sure streaming 4K clips posed no issue.

Online petetherock

Some cable voodoo going on here..
I was using a Cat 6 cable and for laughs my cousin said try another - wham! Speeds reached 950 mps!
Then on a different input on level two, I thought the cable there looked old, so I took out the existing gray cable, and used a proven Cat 6 cable (tried it on my Mac before) and suddenly the other connections dropped to 300 mps! I replaced that with the old gray cable and the speeds leapt back to 950 mps...
Can't explain this man..

My gear:

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
I was using a Cat 6 cable and for laughs my cousin said try another - wham! Speeds reached 950 mps!
Then on a different input on level two, I thought the cable there looked old, so I took out the existing gray cable, and used a proven Cat 6 cable (tried it on my Mac before) and suddenly the other connections dropped to 300 mps! I replaced that with the old gray cable and the speeds leapt back to 950 mps...
Can't explain this man..

No comments on that...

Offline econav

• Trade Count: (+2)
Can't explain this man..

There is a terms called Return loss or Insertion loss.
We are not second hand dealer , all items we sell as used are tradedin from our customer and we don't rate it condition but for the buyer to decide on it own.
From time to time we may sell off some New but open up used for rental/standby/loan items and to ensure they cant be sold as Brand new , we will dispose off the box.
all post
http://www.xtremeplace.com/yabbse/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2968
Service & collection : Block 1085 #03-36 Eunos Ave 7A  whatsapp 96387418 to arrange

Online petetherock

My gear: