Author Topic: Advise on setting up a HIFI and Home Theatre system  (Read 1436 times)

Offline Irvine

• Trade Count: (0)
Advise on setting up a HIFI and Home Theatre system
« on: December 14, 2018, 12:35 »
Hi All
Am looking to set up a new HIFI and Hometheatre system , all you advise will be most welocme.
Speakers: am looking at
a. Bowers and Wilkins 700 series
b. Triangle signature delta
c. Sonus Faber Venere S
d. Any other reccomendations

Centre speakers and sub-woofers:
Will probably be the same brand as the main speakers

AV Amp - Not sure which model is suitable
a. Onkyo
b. Denon
c. Yamaha

Surround speakers
Probably same brand as Main speakers

Power Amp - not sure if i need one

Projector - deciding on one now but could use some direction

Preferences in music is vocals and instrumental
Preferences in Movies - Mainly action and Scifi

Would appreciate any input from all of you on equipment matching and set up . Many thanks and i look forward to hear from you

Offline sevenz

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • home theatre lover :D
Re: Advise on setting up a HIFI and Home Theatre system
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2018, 10:59 »
Hihi, I would add KEF R series to the speaker list :)

Super good for vocals, very balanced and the speaker to speaker integration is superb. Beats many more expensive speakers.

I'm a b&w 7 series (previous model) user currently. If not for my newborn n no time for HT & music, I would have switched to Kef
« Last Edit: December 15, 2018, 11:14 by sevenz »

Offline audiokit

• Trade Count: (+5)
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2018, 09:18 »
Hihi, I would add KEF R series to the speaker list :)

Super good for vocals, very balanced and the speaker to speaker integration is superb. Beats many more expensive speakers.

I'm a b&w 7 series (previous model) user currently. If not for my newborn n no time for HT & music, I would have switched to Kef
For stereo hifi, you may want to consider KEF LS50W. Built-in amp, etc. Big sound stage. Enjoyable to listen to!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline darlynvcs

• Snr Member
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2018, 14:47 »
Any budget and room size to share, else some bro may recommend unbelievable expensive equipment which may not be within your budget? :) The brands of speakers you listed are pretty good but there are power hungry speakers to start with. Whether you need a power amp or not really depend on whether you can hear the different.
Get the same brand for your left right and center so tonality will be the same throughout.

Are you going for Atmos setup since most movies are in atmos? If yes, go read up on the atmos setup. There are many thread and information you can find in XP forum. There are 2 types, 1 is ceiling and there other is reflecting spkers (Atmos Enabled).
Ceiling one you have to lay long cables.

As for sub I will still recommend like JL Audio, Rythmik, KK, Starke which you can find in local market. Don't really must go with same brands with speakers.

Since you are not 100% HT, go for Denon but of course go audition the avr before putting in your hard earn money into it.

Happy hunting and audition

Offline alf

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Let your experience define your choice "View It"
    • www.entheos.com.sg
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2018, 16:41 »
Any budget and room size to share, else some bro may recommend unbelievable expensive equipment which may not be within your budget? :) The brands of speakers you listed are pretty good but there are power hungry speakers to start with. Whether you need a power amp or not really depend on whether you can hear the different.
Get the same brand for your left right and center so tonality will be the same throughout.

Are you going for Atmos setup since most movies are in atmos? If yes, go read up on the atmos setup. There are many thread and information you can find in XP forum. There are 2 types, 1 is ceiling and there other is reflecting spkers (Atmos Enabled).
Ceiling one you have to lay long cables.

As for sub I will still recommend like JL Audio, Rythmik, KK, Starke which you can find in local market. Don't really must go with same brands with speakers.

Since you are not 100% HT, go for Denon but of course go audition the avr before putting in your hard earn money into it.

Happy hunting and audition

[/quote

Yah ..is best to set a side the budget and provide the room dimention . It will be much easier for the guys here to provide the info of what is practical and possible .
Cyrus Cine-Projection Screens will unleash the Visual Experince of your " Home Theatre"
      Optical Tech / Metal Fabricator NTC/ ( ISF Trained Dealer)
JVC projectors UHD /HDR HDCP 2.2 compliant /Sony projector 4k .Optima UHD .Cyrus cine projection , OPTI White , Phantom Grey and Black Mambo II for different ambient application screen. JKP 709 calibration disc / UHD HDR ~10 calibaration disc

Offline YANG

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2018, 09:01 »
Well... Z is not wrong suggesting to start with 2.0 setup first.
Then slowly expands to "full-blown"(subject to available space of course) HT setup.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/U-tfoHeA-tY&fs=1" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/U-tfoHeA-tY&fs=1</a>

My setup was built upon Dolby Pro-Logic 3ch then.
Music only speakers separately with Wharfedale Diamonds.

So my advise for TS, identify ur priorities first... MOVIE or MUSIC.
Then choose the speakers of ur like, of course together with the amplification hardware
that tilts towards ur genre of main interest.
Add a budget sub to handle the low frequency to protect ur main, expensive speakers.
Then work up from there then. At the same time identify ur available space for full-blown setup.

Offline Boxerfan88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Life begins at 7000rpm
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2018, 09:08 »
If you’re renovating, do up all the possible speaker, projector, power cabling upfront.

It’ll be challenging to do cabling after moving in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Soekris dac1541 | DA&T A38  | Usher MD2+X616 | Orisun DD12 | Samsung PS50B850 |
Yammy RXA3030 | RPi3+Kodi | BDP-S5100 | PC+foobar2000 | Chromecast

Offline alf

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Let your experience define your choice "View It"
    • www.entheos.com.sg
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2018, 09:40 »
Well... Z is not wrong suggesting to start with 2.0 setup first.
Then slowly expands to "full-blown"(subject to available space of course) HT setup.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/U-tfoHeA-tY&fs=1" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/U-tfoHeA-tY&fs=1</a>

My setup was built upon Dolby Pro-Logic 3ch then.
Music only speakers separately with Wharfedale Diamonds.

So my advise for TS, identify ur priorities first... MOVIE or MUSIC.
Then choose the speakers of ur like, of course together with the amplification hardware
that tilts towards ur genre of main interest.
Add a budget sub to handle the low frequency to protect ur main, expensive speakers.
Then work up from there then. At the same time identify ur available space for full-blown setup.

Yes Yang , very good video and practical and keep it real .
Cyrus Cine-Projection Screens will unleash the Visual Experince of your " Home Theatre"
      Optical Tech / Metal Fabricator NTC/ ( ISF Trained Dealer)
JVC projectors UHD /HDR HDCP 2.2 compliant /Sony projector 4k .Optima UHD .Cyrus cine projection , OPTI White , Phantom Grey and Black Mambo II for different ambient application screen. JKP 709 calibration disc / UHD HDR ~10 calibaration disc

Offline Irvine

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2019, 11:53 »
thank you all for the valuable info . as i am a newbie i will state a little more infor here
room size 3500mm xx 4160mm
the place in in the process of major renovation and will begin on the sound room in march or april
I have heard the eminent Technology LFT 8B speakers and i like it very much . not sure though on what amp to pair it with.
I intent to run the home theatre on a seperate system so reccomendations there would be much appreciated,
budget for the whole project is around 20k inclusive of dressing and treating the room
Tks once again for the advise and will learn as much as i can through this journey

Offline Basshead

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2019, 22:12 »
I think you can check out several other brands like Legacy Audio (USA) by Tritone AV, Focal (French) by Absolute Sound, Monitor Audio (US but MIC) by Precision Audio (they lelong now)

Regarding Sonus... I think buying from High End Research may save you a bit of cash cos they also lelong... rather than from their current dealer.

But I think it is better to go with a dealer that can provide you a solution to your "desires" and requirements rather than a store that just sell you products, hence I left out certain good brands because their dealers are not up to mark.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2019, 22:15 by Basshead »

Offline BadEnglish

• Int 0x19
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2019, 08:58 »
thank you all for the valuable info . as i am a newbie i will state a little more infor here
room size 3500mm xx 4160mm
the place in in the process of major renovation and will begin on the sound room in march or april
I have heard the eminent Technology LFT 8B speakers and i like it very much . not sure though on what amp to pair it with.
I intent to run the home theatre on a seperate system so reccomendations there would be much appreciated,
budget for the whole project is around 20k inclusive of dressing and treating the room
Tks once again for the advise and will learn as much as i can through this journey

Your 3.5x4m room is not big enough for floor stander. ( irresponsible and quick profit making dealers might say differently ). It's advisable to get bookshelf. You , however,  are the one going to pay and enjoy it,  so all depended on you.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2019, 09:00 by BadEnglish »
Trying very hard to reproduce the music and sound that creative mixing-artists composed in the studios, at home with limited knowledge and resources.

Offline wcseow

« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2019, 21:31 »
Your 3.5x4m room is not big enough for floor stander. ( irresponsible and quick profit making dealers might say differently ). It's advisable to get bookshelf. You , however,  are the one going to pay and enjoy it,  so all depended on you.

Lol...I lean towards a floor standing though the dealer says bookshelf is sufficient, just get a bigger sub.
Looks like I need to rethink as it is cheaper

Offline BadEnglish

• Int 0x19
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2019, 21:59 »
Lol...I lean towards a floor standing though the dealer says bookshelf is sufficient, just get a bigger sub.
Looks like I need to rethink as it is cheaper

You can have floor stander that has 15 inch driver but you will have big headache in controlling in every frequency.  The bigger the box , the bigger space it required to breath.
Trying very hard to reproduce the music and sound that creative mixing-artists composed in the studios, at home with limited knowledge and resources.

Offline Basshead

« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2019, 22:34 »
I think it is dependent on speaker design as well as the acoustics of the room itself.

Ported speakers may face more issues than sealed ones, and certain room factors like size but also shape of the room and type of furniture will come into play.