Author Topic: Denon AVC-X8500H reviews and setup  (Read 27637 times)

Offline kaydee6

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Denon AVC-X8500H reviews and setup
« Reply #285 on: July 15, 2019, 15:08 »
@Desray,

Take note when you boost the sub channel in the app, the app will shift the boosted sub curve to the reference 0 level. You will have to increase the level accordingly in the App's speaker detection page to compensate.

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Bring the "Cinema experience" back home...
« Reply #286 on: July 15, 2019, 15:57 »
@Desray,

Take note when you boost the sub channel in the app, the app will shift the boosted sub curve to the reference 0 level. You will have to increase the level accordingly in the App's speaker detection page to compensate.

Bro, are you saying that I have to increase the trim levels for the “subwoofer” correspondingly under the App’s Speaker Detection page? Can you elaborate on the part of the about shifting the boosted subwoofer curve (in my case is +3db @70Hz) to the “reference level”? I don’t get what you mean.

Anyway I’m still experimenting. I urge everyone to share more here in this dedicated thread on X8500H. I know quite a few members using the X8500H but very few come in to comment on their tuning. Care to share your findings and how you tweak or fine tune your X8500H with the rest of us to benefit from your knowledge?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline kaydee6

« Reply #287 on: July 15, 2019, 17:21 »
Bro, are you saying that I have to increase the trim levels for the “subwoofer” correspondingly under the App’s Speaker Detection page?
Yes

Can you elaborate on the part of the about shifting the boosted subwoofer curve (in my case is +3db @70Hz) to the “reference level”? I don’t get what you mean.
Check this post and the corresponding posts after.
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-receivers-amps-processors/2376770-official-audyssey-thread-part-ii-220.html#post58135148

Anyway I’m still experimenting. I urge everyone to share more here in this dedicated thread on X8500H. I know quite a few members using the X8500H but very few come in to comment on their tuning. Care to share your findings and how you tweak or fine tune your X8500H with the rest of us to benefit from your knowledge?
After limiting Audyssey corrections at 200hz, 500hz, 1500hz and 2000hz. I am back to full correction.
Why full correction? I've posted this in AVSforum recently:
"I have always limit Audyssey XT32 correction to 500hz (Schroeder frequency).
But recently with more speaker adjustments and careful mic placement during calibration (heights and distances from 1st mic position), I am keeping with full cal for the following reasons:

1. Improved center channel dialogue clarity with full correction (contributed by the flat mid range section of the Reference curve).
2. More solid stereo focus with 2.1 music listening (deciding and critical factor).
3. Perceived better 5.1 integration for multi channel movie materials.

Chris K. might be correct all this time to stick with full cal. However, having said that a proper mic placement during calibration is critical.
Audyssey is not a plug, calibrate and forget system."

In addition, my crossover for LCR is set 60hz, Surrounds at 80hz, LPF for LFE at 100hz (still evaluating).
I am as much a 2 channels audiophile as a HT guy. So achieving good music reproduction from the Denon x8500h is still a priority for me but yet to find the sweet spot for 2.1 music. Current setting for 2.1 music is Audyssey Reference, DEQ -15. Have tried turning off DEQ and used house curve but the wife who is also my 2nd pair of ears did not approve. I am still experimenting.

Another personal observation is I am not 100% turned off by Audyssey's MRC. My experience with it is there is merit in it but again more testing needed. Lyngdorf's room perfect had the dip at 3khz and Linkwitz designed his crossovers to introduce the dip at 3khz.  Possibly moving the dip to 3khz is the next thing I will try.

I would love to post screenshots of the app with my calibrated result. All channels look good and flat especially the sub. But it's a pain to post images here in xtremeplace.
Also, for those who have Audyssey-based HT, I recommend to read up the Audyssey guide and the whole 226 pages of discussion, the subwoofer guide and the whole 47 pages of it. I did and learned a lot from it which was also part of the fun.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-receivers-amps-processors/2376770-official-audyssey-thread-part-ii.html

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-subwoofers-bass-transducers/2958528-guide-subwoofer-calibration-bass-preferences.html

Present hardware configuration:
100" Cyrus grey screen
Epson TW8300W projector
SVS Ultra bookshelves
SVS Ultra Center
SVS SBS-01 surround
SVS SB4000 subwoofer

« Last Edit: July 15, 2019, 17:26 by kaydee6 »

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
« Reply #288 on: July 15, 2019, 20:14 »

I would love to post screenshots of the app with my calibrated result. All channels look good and flat especially the sub. But it's a pain to post images here in xtremeplace.

For posting of images using the Audyssey Editor App, try to do screenshots and then use Tapatalk to do the posting. Its easier that way.

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
« Reply #289 on: July 15, 2019, 20:44 »
Bro, are you saying that I have to increase the trim levels for the “subwoofer” correspondingly under the App’s Speaker Detection page?
Yes

Can you elaborate on the part of the about shifting the boosted subwoofer curve (in my case is +3db @70Hz) to the “reference level”? I don’t get what you mean.
Check this post and the corresponding posts after.
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-receivers-amps-processors/2376770-official-audyssey-thread-part-ii-220.html#post58135148

Thanks for pointing me to the discussion thread. And yes, if the graph is depicted correctly then it makes perfect sense that Audyssey will try to "re-align" the subwoofer levels after modifying the "Target curve" for say a LCR. The boost in the Subwoofer levels at the lower frequency spectrum did not result in a corresponding boost for the subwoofer but instead implemented a "cut" for the Mains so as to maintain Reference level at '0'db. Since I'm not playing with the Mains but the Subwoofer target curve only, so I guess I will add a corresponding increase of +3db to the Subwoofer trim levels.

I will experiment more...really late into the X8500H game.

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
« Reply #290 on: July 15, 2019, 20:52 »

After limiting Audyssey corrections at 200hz, 500hz, 1500hz and 2000hz. I am back to full correction.
Why full correction? I've posted this in AVSforum recently:
"I have always limit Audyssey XT32 correction to 500hz (Schroeder frequency).
But recently with more speaker adjustments and careful mic placement during calibration (heights and distances from 1st mic position)...

Yes, agreed that you can try to limit the frequency EQ correction to 500Hz. I recalled Audyssey's Reference target curve starts to roll-off around 4KHz and anything above 5KHz (according to Anthem and several other Pros) sound becomes "directional" as it takes on the characteristics of room modes as a result of reflections etc. So if your speakers are good, we can allow the speakers at is own devices at the higher frequency response.

For me, I refer to the speaker manufacturer's specs sheet to tell me their max frequency response and I'll just apply that to the target curves. I will continue to experiment :)

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
« Reply #291 on: July 15, 2019, 20:54 »
DJQ, Pete and other owners, care to share your tuning experience for the X8500H? I'm quite late into the game...

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
« Reply #292 on: July 15, 2019, 21:02 »
@Kaydee6 - I bet that you already aware that there is a crossover "bug" for the Mains with the latest revision of the Audyssey Editor App since you are a prolific user of the App. I have already reported it to the D&M developer and hope to see it patched soon. But I'm not holding my breath on this.

Offline kaydee6

« Reply #293 on: July 15, 2019, 21:03 »
@Kaydee6 - I bet that you already aware that there is a crossover "bug" for the Mains with the latest revision of the Audyssey Editor App since you are a prolific user of the App. I have already reported it to the D&M developer and hope to see it patched soon. But I'm not holding my breath on this.

Yes, it's a pain. Thanks for bringing this up to D&M.

Offline Pismo Mac

• Trade Count: (+2)
« Reply #294 on: July 16, 2019, 13:24 »
On tuning, I just run the app. All this stuff is too technical for me, I could barely understand half the stuff posted.

Last night I tried to connect my Pioneer BDP450 Blu-Ray player to the AVR.  Only picture, no sound. Fiddled around with the “Main” and “Sub” outputs, the “Dual”, “Separate” and “Pure Audio” settings on the Pioneer, and ARC settings in “Video” on the Denon and the MIC UST projector, still no sound. Gave up after an hour.

I think I should just stick to the plug and play stuff like Apple TV. 

Offline kaydee6

« Reply #295 on: July 16, 2019, 14:23 »
Impressive numbers
http://audiovision.de/denon-avc-8500h-test/

A quick scan of the AV processor/receiver reviews in this German site shows 97/100 may be the highest score they have given, and that is among other high-end processors like the Marantz 8805 and Trinnov. They really like the Denon x8500h.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2019, 14:25 by kaydee6 »

Offline badbad2000

« Reply #296 on: July 16, 2019, 22:18 »
My x8500 network function totally not working, all network related option grey out. Even the wifi option also disappeared. Factory reset also no use.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline petetherock

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Sidere Mens Eadem Mutato
    • My Music, Movie and Equipment Musings...
« Reply #297 on: July 16, 2019, 22:25 »
DJQ, Pete and other owners, care to share your tuning experience for the X8500H? I'm quite late into the game...

It sounds better after the third tuning, but I've just got some diffusers and absorbers installed, so I'll report back soon... resolving a few things first.. the weekend was quite busy but very fruitful..
Please post instead of sending a pm, so more can learn.

My gear:
http://peteswrite.blogspot.com/2019/04/my-setup-42019.html

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
« Reply #298 on: July 16, 2019, 22:31 »
My x8500 network function totally not working, all network related option grey out. Even the wifi option also disappeared. Factory reset also no use.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Did you connect the antenna?