Author Topic: DAC wider n forward sounding  (Read 1347 times)

Offline soultribe

• Trade Count: (0)
DAC wider n forward sounding
« on: October 09, 2017, 07:45 »
Hi. I am running a HS-5 yamaha on a guizu stands. routing from an M-Audio interface as DAC. experienced laidback n narrow sound presentation. i am looking for dac below 1k with wider soundstage n forward sounding. any recommendation?

Offline soultribe

Re: DAC wider n forward sounding
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2017, 16:02 »
here no one knows ?

Offline blue_starfish

• I am a hi-fi dinosaur as I love analog
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2017, 17:50 »
Show the room layout with dimensions and speaker positions. Where you position the speakers in the room coupled with room treatment (if any), has bigger impact on imaging than the equipment. 

Offline drzero

• Snr Member
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2017, 18:10 »
I agree - speaker placement (and room acoustic) plays a critical role in sound staging - more so than the electronics themselves IMO

Offline calamity

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2017, 13:10 »
Hi. I am running a HS-5 yamaha on a guizu stands. routing from an M-Audio interface as DAC. experienced laidback n narrow sound presentation. i am looking for dac below 1k with wider soundstage n forward sounding. any recommendation?

You're listening nearfield right?

I had good experience with the Adam Audio F5 and NI Komplete Audio 6.

Offline soultribe

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2017, 14:13 »
You're listening nearfield right?

I had good experience with the Adam Audio F5 and NI Komplete Audio 6.

i listen about 3m away centre of speaker. the speaker are placed apart about 3.m .

Offline calamity

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2017, 19:42 »
i listen about 3m away centre of speaker. the speaker are placed apart about 3.m .

These speakers are made for nearfield listening. The soundstage collapses when you listen from far, even the Adam Audio F5 I mentioned above. The only studio monitors I come across so far that sound "ok" from far are the Fluid Audio F5.

Offline Joel3Cv2

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2017, 00:21 »
ATC SCM7 do well at 3m. I have mine set up about 3.6m away. The room does come into play, however image does not narrow. I never expect much from my untreated living room but these speakers keep surprising me.

My company carries the Prism Sound Callia DAC if you want to have a listen.

Drop me a message if you want to stop by the showroom.

Offline calamity

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2017, 07:17 »
ATC SCM7 do well at 3m. I have mine set up about 3.6m away. The room does come into play, however image does not narrow. I never expect much from my untreated living room but these speakers keep surprising me.

My company carries the Prism Sound Callia DAC if you want to have a listen.

Drop me a message if you want to stop by the showroom.

I've always enjoyed listening to ATC speakers. They're a different league from the Yamaha HS and Adam F series. Just curious is the SCM7 listed as a nearfield?

Soultribe you should check out Joel's setup at Bendemeer.

Offline Joel3Cv2

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2017, 23:46 »
Just curious is the SCM7 listed as a nearfield?

Thanks for your positive feedback!

Yes the SCM7 is considered a nearfield monitor. The difference in quality has to do with a combination of factors including the massive magnet assembly.

To give you a better idea, the weight of the HS5 and A5 are 5.5kg and 6.6kg respectively. These are active speakers so you also have amplifiers inside the cabinet. The weight of an SCM7 is 7.5kg without an amplifier attached to the cabinet.

Offline calamity

« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2017, 04:30 »
Thanks for your positive feedback!

Yes the SCM7 is considered a nearfield monitor. The difference in quality has to do with a combination of factors including the massive magnet assembly.

To give you a better idea, the weight of the HS5 and A5 are 5.5kg and 6.6kg respectively. These are active speakers so you also have amplifiers inside the cabinet. The weight of an SCM7 is 7.5kg without an amplifier attached to the cabinet.

Is there a SCM7"A" model?

If not, what's the smallest Active model currently available in the consumer and professional series respectively?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Joel3Cv2

« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2017, 13:29 »
There is no active version of the SCM7.

The actives start from SCM19A and SCM40A in the HiFi Entry Series and SCM20ASL and SCM25A in the Pro Series.

The SCM19A and SCM40A are floor-standers so I wouldn't consider them 'small'. The SCM20ASL and SCM25A Pro are more compact however they are still very heavy (30kg each) and require solid speaker stands.

IMO for most apartments, the SCM7 still gives you the most even frequency response, without causing too much problems in the low frequencies (not too boomy). Pair them with any good Class A/B amp with at least 100W per ch at 8 ohms and you're good to go.

Offline calamity

« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2017, 13:51 »
There is no active version of the SCM7.

The actives start from SCM19A and SCM40A in the HiFi Entry Series and SCM20ASL and SCM25A in the Pro Series.

The SCM19A and SCM40A are floor-standers so I wouldn't consider them 'small'. The SCM20ASL and SCM25A Pro are more compact however they are still very heavy (30kg each) and require solid speaker stands.

IMO for most apartments, the SCM7 still gives you the most even frequency response, without causing too much problems in the low frequencies (not too boomy). Pair them with any good Class A/B amp with at least 100W per ch at 8 ohms and you're good to go.

Sure would be exciting if Soultribe goes this route.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk