Author Topic: EGreat A10 4K HDR media player (with review)  (Read 45235 times)

Offline rock123

• Trade Count: (-1)
Re: Anyone using EGreat A10 4K HDR media player?
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2017, 14:23 »
Pure 100% Home Theatre Lover @7.3.4
Flagship Onkyo RZ-3100 11.2  Klipsch KLF-30 Legend Towers KLF-C7 Tractrix® Horn
Sub 1: Rythmik FV18 @900WRMS   Sub 2: Rythmik FV15HP @600WRMS
Sub 3: SVS PB12-Plus/2 @900WRMS down-firing dual 12.3" three 4" Ports
Ultimate Cinema!: Motorized 16:9 150" Screen *BenQ W1070+ 3D DLP 1080p

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Bring the "Cinema experience" back home...
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2017, 20:46 »
desray - did u figure out how the 4K UHD Full Rip Menu function work?

forum info there
http://en.egreatworld.com/comunity/index.php?threads/egreat-first-release-4k-uhd-full-rip-menu-function-in-the-world-11th-may-2017.628/

What you are referring here is the Egreat's proprietary s/w player (in a app format - i.e. apk). This "beta" version you are referring is already included in the latest firmware update at (1.2.5.6) just released a week ago.

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2017, 13:46 »
As promised, here's my short review on the Egreat A-10 media player.

This is the latest offering from Egreat and I have been using it for the past few days. The A-10 is undeniably the best built and most well thought out design I have ever seen in a media player. At its very core, it is running an Android OS Lollipop 5.1.1.

Unlike the Popcorn Hour PCH A-500 which utilize its own proprietary which is pretty “limited” in terms of features and functionalities, the Android OS provides a  more versatile propositions in this area. If you have been using Android phones like Samsung and tons of others in the past years, then the OS should not sound “alien” to you. In short, you can download, install and play Android games (sideloading of apk installer) on this device and pairing it up with a wireless RF remote controller with a typical D-pad design (arrow keys + Enter key) and you are pretty much good to go.

But that’s besides that point, this is NOT what we are here for. We are here for its main selling point - i.e. the ability to navigate a full BD menu of a BD ISO or BDMV file structure from this media player. And they are not kidding when Egreat boldly claimed that this is currently (at least for the last couple of years) the ONLY media player that is able to playback a 1:1 ripped of a true 4K UHD bluray title back in CES 2016.

Besides its ability to playback a BD ISO/BDMV with full menu navigation, this media player also comes equipped with the latest HiSilicon VXE chipset which features a quad-core 64 bit architecture which means it is very powerful and able to handle and process demanding apps concurrently. This is important if you going to market this A-10 as a media player and not just a cheap Android TV box which cost less than $50 to get in Sim Lim Square these days.

Other key features of this media player include...

HDMI 2.0a (this is important for HDR content playback and even Dolby Vision to work!)
Playback of 4K resolution (3840 x 2160p) at 60fps
Up to 12-bit color depth to reduce color banding
HEVC H.265 hardware decoding on-the-fly
Supports Dolby Atmos and DTS:X and other hi-def lossless audio codecs like DTS-HD MSTR and Dolby TrueHD
Preloaded with VidOn codecs for the best Kodi (XBMC) experience!

On paper, all these features culminates to a powerful media player running on steroids and a dream machine for home theater enthusiasts like us. I’m happy to report that all the features I have mentioned above all passed during my testing phase.

Playback of MKV movies
This is the one key area that will either make-or-break this media player and I’m happy to say that the A-10 handled it effortlessly. It loaded extremely fast and there is no video/audio syncing issues on all the materials (in the likes of 24fps, 30fps, 50fps and 60fps) I have thrown at it. Even with MKV remux of H.264 and H.265 codecs with HD lossless audio like DTS-HD MSTR played flawlessly.

For MKV playback, A-10 is using Egreat’s proprietary player app and it is light-weight, meaning it is not CPU intensive and yet provides us with all the essential options like chapters, subtitles settings, audio track switching and time-seek to name a few are just a click away. The ability to select 10-bit as opposed to 8-bit color bit depth proved to be vital as it literally removed all the unsightly color banding which can be very apparent if we watch a movie with a 8-bit color bit depth with a 1080p encoding clip. Interestingly when it comes to selection, there is no “Auto” option for the Color space (YCrBr and RGB), it will default to conform to the display monitor and in my case, my JVC X7000 DiLA 4K projector which is capable of accepting 4K UHD resolution @60fps at 10-bit. For those uninitiated, all bluray discs are encoded with a 8-bit at 4:2:0 chroma sampling rate (color space) while 4K UHD discs are encoded at a 10-bit 4:2:0. Depending on the video upscaling and processing capability of your display monitor (OLED TV or projector), PQ will be much better if the upscaling and image processing are handled by the TV and projector. Unless you know what you wish to achieve, you can choose to allow the A-10 to do the video upscaling from 8-bit at 4:2:0 (for normal 1080p movies) to a 10/12-bit at 4:4:4 with an upscaled 4K resolution of (3840 x 2160p)24fps. As I have mentioned before, there is no “Auto” option for color space and color bit depth in the Video Settings of the A-10, hence the player will “automatically” switch to the optimum mode based on the type of display you used. This is something you need to take note of. I guess Egreat engineers decided to do away with this “Auto” option since not many user is going to be bothered with it except for some hardcore HT enthusiasts. But I’m glad that Egreat allows the latter group to have full rein with the options avail for even better PQ.

The PQ and SQ looked and sounded much more “cleaner” (due to the 10-bit color bit depth which further upscaled by my JVC Projector to a 12-bit which eliminate or greatly reduced video artifacts like color banding in the skyline for instance) The shades (gradients) looked more natural and smoother all around. The best PQ I have seen on a media player playing a typical 1080p using the normal H.264 video encoding.

Playback of a HEVC or H.265 movie at 4K resolution encoded in 24fps and with HDR (in a BT 2020 container) instantly activates the HDR mode on my JVC X7000 with no problem (thank goodness!) The A-10 is able to pick up the meta-data which sends a flag to activate the full 10-bit at 4:2:2 to my projector for further upscaling to a 4:4:4. A comparison using the Pacific Rim 4K MKV rip on the A-10 and the actual movie playback on a 4K UHD disc on my Oppo 203 is nearly identical except for a much richer tone (gradients) on the Oppo 203 playback. This is understandable since H.265 is but a form of compression algorithm at work here. Hence a lot of video “information” will eventually be “lost-in-translation” during the video processing bit. The classic "garbage-in, garbage-out" saying applies and you can’t escape that...

Surprisingly, I have not encounter any quirks when it comes to playback of the newer Object-based sound mix in the likes of Dolby Atmos and DTS:X. This is rather surprising as often times, these Object-based audio mix is notorious for not playing nice on most media players. So far, my A-500 has no issue with the playback on both audio formats and the HiSilicon quad core chipset (model: Hi3798 V200) have no problem decoding it (thank goodness again!)

Playback of BD ISO/BDMV file structure
Now comes the most important aspect of this media player that sets the others apart (most, if not ALL media players ONLY provides a BD-Lite menu navigation function which often stripped off the Special features found on a physical bluray disc itself). ISO rippers have waited for the longest times (since PCH C-200) when suddenly the licensing by the BDA forbids playback of a full BD ISO with menu navigation. So to conform to the industry requirements, most media players and even Oppo bluray players which was once touted as the best 2-in-1 player that allows BD ISO full menu navigation playback have to remove this feature from their players and since then, many of us have been searching in vain for that “elusive” BD ISO with full menu navigation to come back on media players. And Egreat manage to do the impossible (I don’t want to know what has been done or change or whether is it even legal for Egreat to implement it) and I’m happy to report that it worked flawlessly!

Take a look at the latest 1:1 BD ISO rip from the Spiderman Homecoming bluray disc. I am able to navigate using my air mouse to access the special featurette in the Spiderman Homecoming rip with no problem. Surprisingly, the loading time for a 40GB BD ISO took less than 8 secs to load up...2 times faster loading speed compared to my jailbroken Oppo BD 203!!! That’s pretty impressive for a media player.

« Last Edit: October 21, 2017, 14:09 by desray »

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2017, 13:54 »
Any “cinavia bug” on A-10?
I know I know, the next burning question in everyone’s mind will be the infamous “cinavia bug”. Unfortunately I have not yet try out a BD ISO with known cinavia bug at the time of writing this review. But rest assured, I will try out one of those Lionsgate rip to see whether the cinavia bug rear its ugly head. Personally I don’t have much confidence with this considering that cinavia is digital DRM (or water mark) implemented “within” the disc itself. What this mean is that UNLESS there is a ripping software (used to be Slysoft’s AnyDVD HD) that is able to remove digitally the cinavia flag, there is nothing you can overcome it AFAIK. So I will not have high hopes on that A-10 will not encounter this bug. I’m pretty sure it will succumb to the “bug”. Nevertheless, I will still try out and report back if I have the time to sit through 2 hrs of movie produced by Lionsgate studio. Off hand, I have the Vin Diesel’s The Last Witch Hunter and the Hunger Games series to test out. So stay tuned…

Latest Update on the cinavia bug

Color me impressed! Sitting through the entire Last Witch Hunter released by Lionsgate and there is no cinavia code 3 error throughout the entire movie. I believed it has something to do with Egreat using its own proprietary player to bypass this cinavia flag.

The best features in A-10
(+) Comes with Bluetooth 4.0 LE which allows you to pair up with an external pair of bluetooth headsets/speakers when you just want to watch a TV series like the Big Bang Theory without powering up your AVR and engaging your 5.1/7.1 speakers.

(+)  Sideloading of apk files from Google Playstore to run your favourite Android games.

(+) SATA HDD front loading bay for HDD and there is no need for any kind of screws or HDD enclosure housing, the design has been re-designed to allow ease of loading and removing the HDD as easy as opening the bay door and closing it! Neat!

(+) Automatic poster wall with nifty movie and casting info panels. Very comprehensive and nicely layout. According to Egreat, it is fully “automated” as long as there are movie files residing in a folder and the built-in poster engine will run recursively in the background either on startup process or during operation (invoke by user). There is no need for user intervention. It got pretty much most of the titles in my collection right 90% of the time except for those non-Hollywood titles like HK, Korean films etc. Fortunately, user can easily “replace” the poster and movie synopsis with ease of a click by hitting the edit option and choose the right poster and movie synopsis.

(+) Provides an additional SATA 3-to-USB 3.0 input for an additional SATA HDD to be connected for your movies.

(+) The VidOn runtime for Kodi (XBMC) allows for an alternative BD ISO/BDMV file structure playback with full menu navigation using the VidOn’s very own player. It comes in handy as an alterntaive player to Egreat’s very own media player. There is some limitations with the VidOn’s player when it comes to full menu navigation as each selection of a feature will result in a pause and screen blankout. This is likely due to the way the VidOn player handles navigation via software decoding which excludes itself from utilizing the 4 cores of the chipset for hardware decoding. Well, at least there is an alternate solution. I won’t complain…

(+) Allows for remote sideloading of apk files using just your smart phone or laptop. No need to upload to a SD card and then do a transfer to the A-10 to execute the installation. Out of the box, the “Installation from Unknown Sources” has already been activated to run any apk files from within the media player itself. No other 3rd part app required. Neat!

The nitpicks I have with this media player…
(-) We are at the mercy of Android OS...for instance, even the hardware components found in the A-10 are deemed top notch but because its core is still running an Android OS and the worst is it is still using the dated Lollipop firmware (5.1.1). What this mean is there is no way we can sideload the latest Youtube app which can playback native 4K content with HDR! Bummer!!! For that to happen, the OS has to be upgraded to at least Android 6.0 or higher. Fortunately, the company has announced that it will be upgraded to Android Nougat 7.1.1 very soon (hopefully by this year end) to allow for more compatibility with the latest Android apps to work with the A-10.

(-) It seems that there is some network bandwidth bottlenecks with the Ethernet connection. I’m having problems streaming a 1080p content with high bitrate from the Terrarium TV app without suffering from freeze and stuttering. This is probably due to the way it handles network traffic as I have no problem playing back 1080p or even 4K sample footages from my NAS via the home network.

(-) Stock remote controller is using IR-technology which in my opinion is a shame considering that A-10 UI which allows Android apps to be installed natively requires at least an air mouse capable controller for ease of navigation.

(-) Unlike my PCH A-500, there is no SACD and DSD playback support. Sorry audiophiles...

Conclusion
Will I recommend it? Of course I will...At $350+ bundled with so much power and great hardware specs, it is a very worthy proposition for any serious movie buffs and HT enthusiasts. The fact that I have decided to “retire” my PCH A-500 (put up for sale now) and coupled with my decision to do a firmware update for my jailbroken Oppo 203 speaks for itself on how satisfied I am with this media player.

My basic requirements for a great media player requires it to playback my movie files (be it MKV or BD ISO/BDMV) with ease and as consistent in its performance as possible and A-10 proved that it can deliver it. In addition, the continued firmware support which addresses many bugs by the Egreat developer team has been very encouraging and promising thus far. Now I have to wait patiently for the Android Nougat update to allow me to playback Netflix and Youtube 4K with HDR content (hopefully by year end).
« Last Edit: October 21, 2017, 20:31 by desray »

Offline Wilber

• Trade Count: (+7)
Re: EGreat A10 4K HDR media player (with review)
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2017, 17:32 »
thanks for the review. pretty good to see the result. i just gotten hold of Zidoo X9S, shall compare its features as being touted able to play full BD including UHD.
Marantz AV8802A, JBL Professional Speakers Powered by Harman Crown DCI amps. Zidoo X9S. Clef Cleansource Power Regenerator, Optoma UHD65, Panamorph Lens, Prismasonic Curve Frame with UF Fabric, Fibaro Home Automation.

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2017, 18:21 »
thanks for the review. pretty good to see the result. i just gotten hold of Zidoo X9S, shall compare its features as being touted able to play full BD including UHD.

Looking forward to it but pls create a separate thread for the Zidoo. Thks!

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2017, 18:25 »
I will try to watch a Lionsgate rip later in the evening and sit through the movie to see if there is any cinavia error message. I will report here later.

By the way, the A-10 does support Dolby Vision at 12-bit however it is currently not activated due to licensing issue with Dolby's Lab. At the moment, Dolby only licensed out Dolby Vision to bluray players and TV and projectors. All media players has been excluded at this point. So any media players that claim support for Dolby Vision is bullshitting you.

Offline Wilber

• Trade Count: (+7)
« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2017, 18:25 »
Looking forward to it but pls create a separate thread for the Zidoo. Thks!

haha, no worries. ain't going to hijack it. it deserves its own.
Marantz AV8802A, JBL Professional Speakers Powered by Harman Crown DCI amps. Zidoo X9S. Clef Cleansource Power Regenerator, Optoma UHD65, Panamorph Lens, Prismasonic Curve Frame with UF Fabric, Fibaro Home Automation.

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2017, 18:27 »
Just tested the 3D capability of the media player, it played fine for the Avatar 3D rip which I have in my collection for the longest time.

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2017, 18:28 »
haha, no worries. ain't going to hijack it. it deserves its own.

+1

Offline ralfale

• Trade Count: (+1)
« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2017, 18:45 »
Very informative review on a great player !

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2017, 20:27 »
Wow...I stand corrected. I've just finished the watching The Last Witch Hunter which confirmed have cinavia bug and guess what...there is no code 3 error message appearing throughout the entire movie. I guess this has something to do with the use of Egreat's proprietary player which bypass the cinavia flag.

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2017, 20:33 »

This just became the ultimate media player that plays pretty much everything that is throw at it...Let's hope that Egreat will continue to make it better with each iteration of the firmware...

Sadly this is not sold in Singapore.

Offline Doggie Howser

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #28 on: October 21, 2017, 21:18 »
Are there UHD rips yet?
End of Line - Derezzed

Offline francis wu

• Trade Count: (+5)
« Reply #29 on: October 21, 2017, 22:06 »
Is this in local SingDlr...!?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk