Author Topic: EGreat A10 4K HDR media player (with review)  (Read 45236 times)

Offline FookLai

• Trade Count: (0)
  • survivng with bare system

Offline ronildoq

• Trade Count: (+2)
Re: EGreat A10 4K HDR media player (with review)
« Reply #46 on: October 23, 2017, 13:44 »
Awesome review! thanks for the write up, great info

Offline tuakong

« Reply #47 on: October 23, 2017, 14:35 »
Anyone tried buying from this link?

I tried to order from the url provided and when I add it to the cart, it prompted me that the seller has high returns and cancellation rate. Asked me whether to proceed or not.
I decided to get from the other seller posted by another member here at 317$ less 5$ 1st time purchase. Total 312$

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Bring the "Cinema experience" back home...
« Reply #48 on: October 24, 2017, 07:38 »
For more reviews on A10 emanating from other websites, you can visit this Egreat community forum: http://en.egreatworld.com/comunity/index.php?threads/a5-a10-a11-professional-reviews.756/

Offline finclk

« Reply #49 on: October 25, 2017, 10:02 »
Is the A10 similar to the A5 in terms of specs with the only difference being A5 needs an externally connected harddisk?

Offline Jagdpanzer

• HT & Audio
« Reply #50 on: October 25, 2017, 10:36 »
Google their website for differences. For only $150 price difference or price of 4 Blurays, do you really need to compare?

Is the A10 similar to the A5 in terms of specs with the only difference being A5 needs an externally connected harddisk?
« Last Edit: October 25, 2017, 10:39 by Jagdpanzer »

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
« Reply #51 on: October 25, 2017, 22:36 »

Besides the connection only for external HDD (Sata based), the eMMC (flash drive) is higher in A10 and of course A10 comes with  a physical on/off power button while A5 does not. Apart from these differences in "design" choices, it sports with the same HiSilicon chipset and RAM and GPU.

Offline sevenz

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • home theatre lover :D
« Reply #52 on: October 25, 2017, 22:45 »
wah, thanks for the superb reviews bro desray and wilber.

This really brings competition to a whole new level on media players!  :o Spoilt for choices

Offline rock123

• Trade Count: (-1)
« Reply #53 on: October 28, 2017, 10:02 »
flashed 1256 firmware via USB.

1. This firmware rocks - it make the whole bluray menu posters AWESOME :)
2. Overall is super awesome- decodes ATMOS and DTS-X all solid stable
3. Andriod Based- Tons of Solid APPs :)

Need to set back to only 1080p 24Hz  which works for my 1080p BenQ 1070+.
Any above will have handshaking sync video signal issue
Pure 100% Home Theatre Lover @7.3.4
Flagship Onkyo RZ-3100 11.2  Klipsch KLF-30 Legend Towers KLF-C7 Tractrix┬« Horn
Sub 1: Rythmik FV18 @900WRMS   Sub 2: Rythmik FV15HP @600WRMS
Sub 3: SVS PB12-Plus/2 @900WRMS down-firing dual 12.3" three 4" Ports
Ultimate Cinema!: Motorized 16:9 150" Screen *BenQ W1070+ 3D DLP 1080p

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
« Reply #54 on: October 28, 2017, 10:12 »
flashed 1256 firmware via USB.

1. This firmware rocks - it make the whole bluray menu posters AWESOME :)
2. Overall is super awesome- decodes ATMOS and DTS-X all solid stable
3. Andriod Based- Tons of Solid APPs :)

Need to set back to only 1080p 24Hz  which works for my 1080p BenQ 1070+.
Any above will have handshaking sync video signal issue

Yeap...version 1.2.5.6 is the latest firmware and also happen to be the most stable version to date. I'm glad you like the A10.

And yes, the resolution part is important to set it right the first time to get the display monitor (i.e. TV or projector) to work properly. Make sure you enable the Auto Frequency change option (by default it is OFF) and switching between different media contents with different refresh rate can be done on-the-fly with high accuracy rate.

Now we need to wait patiently for the Android Nougat 7.1 to arrive to make this media player even more powerful.

Offline rock123

• Trade Count: (-1)
« Reply #55 on: October 28, 2017, 10:35 »
Yeap...version 1.2.5.6 is the latest firmware and also happen to be the most stable version to date. I'm glad you like the A10.

And yes, the resolution part is important to set it right the first time to get the display monitor (i.e. TV or projector) to work properly. Make sure you enable the Auto Frequency change option (by default it is OFF) and switching between different media contents with different refresh rate can be done on-the-fly with high accuracy rate.

Now we need to wait patiently for the Android Nougat 7.1 to arrive to make this media player even more powerful.
Thanks bro)
Cool will recheck the auto frequency change option)
Yah cant wait for further development))

A5 HT fan here )

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Pure 100% Home Theatre Lover @7.3.4
Flagship Onkyo RZ-3100 11.2  Klipsch KLF-30 Legend Towers KLF-C7 Tractrix┬« Horn
Sub 1: Rythmik FV18 @900WRMS   Sub 2: Rythmik FV15HP @600WRMS
Sub 3: SVS PB12-Plus/2 @900WRMS down-firing dual 12.3" three 4" Ports
Ultimate Cinema!: Motorized 16:9 150" Screen *BenQ W1070+ 3D DLP 1080p

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
« Reply #56 on: October 28, 2017, 21:50 »
tried to search but no results, whats the advantages compared to nvidia shield? thks

We are talking about 2 different chipsets here. Tegra X1 chipset is designed more for gaming. It is extremely powerful and not to mention more RAM to boot than the A10 and all the other MIC media players. Furthermore, the A10 is built towards media consumption rather than gaming as its main priority. Hence the customisation on software player (app) for playback of all kinds of media files. The only similarity is the base OS is built around the ASOP.

Offline Wilber

• Trade Count: (+7)
« Reply #57 on: October 28, 2017, 23:08 »
but imho nvidia shield seems to be a better device compared to egreat

nvidia shield advantages
1. can play games smoothly
2. can play hi10p files compared to egreat
3. is bundled with separate remote and gamepad

any disadvantages compared to egreat?

i had nvidia shield gen 1, i used it for awhile before i sold it off. the image was grainy and i didn't like it at all. as desray mentioned, it is designed for gaming than for media despite being more superior device. if you're going to play games along with it, go ahead get it.
Marantz AV8802A, JBL Professional Speakers Powered by Harman Crown DCI amps. Zidoo X9S. Clef Cleansource Power Regenerator, Optoma UHD65, Panamorph Lens, Prismasonic Curve Frame with UF Fabric, Fibaro Home Automation.

Offline Wilber

• Trade Count: (+7)
« Reply #58 on: October 28, 2017, 23:10 »
i personally think, it is best not to mix nvidia shield comparing with MIC media players.. the results you will get may be mixed opinions.
Marantz AV8802A, JBL Professional Speakers Powered by Harman Crown DCI amps. Zidoo X9S. Clef Cleansource Power Regenerator, Optoma UHD65, Panamorph Lens, Prismasonic Curve Frame with UF Fabric, Fibaro Home Automation.

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
« Reply #59 on: October 29, 2017, 09:10 »

but imho nvidia shield seems to be a better device compared to egreat

nvidia shield advantages
1. can play games smoothly
2. can play hi10p files compared to egreat
3. is bundled with separate remote and gamepad

any disadvantages compared to egreat?

Bro, I thought I have already mentioned that the difference and in a way benefits (differentiating factors) of nVidia Shield 4K TV is gaming vs media. In terms of value propositions, NVidia Shield 4K TV is definitely way better than the MIC Egreat (w/o a doubt). You need to know what you really want to get out of these devices. I can't believe I'm repeating myself all over again...if you play Android games more than anything else (in fact these days, more game developers are looking into developing mobile gaming as our smart phones get better and better with each iterations - so powerful that it can now even act as a personal desktop - take a look at Samsung S series and Note series with the addition of the DEX Station with Hauwei Mate 10/10 Pro making its foray into desktop computing by plugging the USB Type C charging cum data cable...but all these are besides the point. I just want to put thing into perspective on how powerful NVidia Tegra X1 chipset can be for a mobile gaming solutions these days).

The main "target audience" in the likes of A5/A10/Zidoo/HiMedia/Zappita 4K is geared towards movie buffs and for those who wish to have the versatility of sideloading 3rd party apps like Kodi with all their TV Addons etc...NVidia Shield 4K TV also can do that as well...dare I say the faster RAM and with a more up-to-date Android OS (like Nougat 7.1), it can easily win the race with its more powerful specs over all the MIC media players....but that's the not the point of this review. A10 knew they can't compete with NVidia in this race but if you look closely, they are not bringing the "fight" to the big brother, they are just focusing on "one aspect" and do it well - i.e. better media consumption and to be the best in that regard. If you look at the marketing and advertising material, you will not see any hyperbole and sensational over-the-top kind of emphasis on gaming for the A10, instead they talked about the full menu navigation for BD ISO/BDMV during last year's CES exhibition held in Germany. NVidia does not subscribe to this benefits of full BD ISO support but 3rd party app like VidOn client utilizing the backbone infrastructure of Kodi/XBMC to make it work, all because it is still running on Android OS (which I've already mentioned briefly in my previous post).

For Nvidia, content streaming from providers like Netflix, Hulu, Vudu etc is MORE IMPORTANT than native media playback in the likes of mkv files for instance (this part can be easily fulfilled by 3rd part app - Kodi with Addons). In short, the emphasis and the marketing focus is different if you compared NVidia with A10 media player. So you need to ask yourself what exactly are you looking for? If you are a gamer and subscriber of Netflix content streaming, then it is a no-brainer, I'll say go for Nvidia Shield 4K TV and don't look back...but if you like to download mkv files from Bittorrent and other P2P platforms because you wanted to keep the movies for repeated watching for great classics like The Shawshank Redemption, JAWS and that LOTR trilogy etc, then A10 and the current batch of MIC media players which I have mentioned in this post will make you a very satisfied customer. I'm not a gamer, hence the review is geared towards movie watching experience from a home theatre perspective.

Hope I am clear.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2017, 09:17 by desray »