Author Topic: EGreat A10 4K HDR media player (with review)  (Read 39160 times)

Offline Ccyao

• Trade Count: (+2)
Re: EGreat A10 4K HDR media player (with review)
« Reply #30 on: October 21, 2017, 22:15 »
Wow! Very good price if it is sgd. tempted!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Gears: LG 75UJ657T, Denon X7200WA, Emotiva XPA-5 Gen 2, SVS Prime Center/Bookshelf(Front)/Satellite(Surround), AG Micro x 4 for Atmos, dual Rythmik LVX12, Popcorn Hour A-500, xBox One S, Synology DS416.

Offline Ccyao

« Reply #31 on: October 21, 2017, 22:18 »
Are there UHD rips yet?
I’m also wondering. Is there?

Gears: LG 75UJ657T, Denon X7200WA, Emotiva XPA-5 Gen 2, SVS Prime Center/Bookshelf(Front)/Satellite(Surround), AG Micro x 4 for Atmos, dual Rythmik LVX12, Popcorn Hour A-500, xBox One S, Synology DS416.

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Bring the "Cinema experience" back home...
« Reply #33 on: October 22, 2017, 07:24 »
I’m also wondering. Is there?

Are there UHD rips yet?
Yes. There is but one... The Smurfs 2 AFAIK.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
« Reply #34 on: October 22, 2017, 07:25 »
Is this in local SingDlr...!?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Yes but I ordered mine from Lazada Singapore.

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
« Reply #35 on: October 22, 2017, 07:39 »
Yes guys, this is indeed a very VFM media player that does pretty much everything very well. Full BD ISO support with full menu navigation plus support for 4K content and also object based sound mix like Dolby Atmos and DTS:X and to top it all up, it seems to be free from cinavia bug as well... Its every home theater buff's wet dream. LoL...but the only gripe is no local warranty support so if u get yourself a lemon or DOA, you will have very little recourse.

I bought from Lazada because it fulfills the order for consumers here and also provides assurance that if the item is defective or not the item the consumer ordered, the latter can return the item to the designated collection centre run by Lazada for refund or help to liaise with the China supplier of the problem with the products... Peace of mind.

When shopping in lazada, make sure u look at the track record like years in operation serving the Singapore mkt as an indicator to see how many products over the years have been sold to Singaporeans. Naturally, the higher the better as it is more reliable. Avoid those with less than 6 mths even though the price is much more attractive than the ones with better track record. The A-10 can go as high as $400+ depending on which supplier you get it from. For me, $350 is a well balanced figure imo.

« Last Edit: October 22, 2017, 07:44 by desray »

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
« Reply #36 on: October 22, 2017, 07:49 »
Another great media player with fairly similar specs and fearures will be the Zidoo... Do watch out for Bro Wilber review soon in this forum for those sitting on the fence.

Offline Ccyao

EGreat A10 4K HDR media player (with review)
« Reply #37 on: October 22, 2017, 08:26 »
Yes. There is but one... The Smurfs 2 AFAIK.

Bro,
I’ve seen UHD Rip in mkv container. It says 10 bits HDR in x265.
Are these real 4k HDR quality?
Have you tried such files on A500 and Egreat A10? Do they look significantly better in PQ on Egreat since it has hdmi 2.0a?

Thanks

« Last Edit: October 22, 2017, 08:29 by Ccyao »

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
« Reply #38 on: October 22, 2017, 09:07 »
Bro,
I’ve seen UHD Rip in mkv container. It says 10 bits HDR in x265.
Are these real 4k HDR quality?
Have you tried such files on A500 and Egreat A10? Do they look significantly better in PQ on Egreat since it has hdmi 2.0a?

Thanks

Sorry, I am referring to a full 4K UHD rip in an ISO container. If you are referring to the mkv rip using the HEVC H.265 and BT2020 container (HDR), then yes, there are indeed many. I only have Pacific Rim (mkv rip from the original 4K UHD disc). A-500 has no issue playing back but it did struggle in certain scenes with too many actions. The key question that need to be asked is the bitrate of the rip itself and how powerful the chipset can handle the high bitrate. This is something that I will need time to look at.

Some nerd stats...For instance, a typical 4K @10bit H.265 (10-bit is the minimal bitrate to trigger the HDR mode of your display) should run a bitrate of about 14 - 16Mb/s on average...I realized A-500 did struggle a bit and suffered some framerate drop for fast moving scenes if the encoding bitrate hits a peak of 17.5Mb/s because the HDMI output does not conform to a full band HDMI 2.0. But it is hard to come up with a concrete figure since Pacific Rim is a very fast-action packed flick. A typical dual-layered 4K UHD disc bitrate is around 60 - 80Mb/s if played back on a dedicated 4K UHD player.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2017, 09:10 by desray »

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
« Reply #39 on: October 22, 2017, 09:15 »
A further check on the Sigma chipset used by the PCH A-500 showed the following:

Sigma Designs SMP8758 Dual Code Cortex A9 processor is able to support
10-bit HEVC video decoding up to 2160p @30 fps (4K)
- derived from Cloudmedia official website

If it is ONLY able to support up to 30fps, then it is most definitely not HDMI 2.0/a compliant. It is probably a HDMI 1.4b specs. This might explain why 10-bit color depth @60fps suffers serious stuttering unless we revert to 8-bit which is a SDR (stripped of the HDR meta data). But for normal 2160p (UHD content) @24fps (film refresh rate), it performs okay as long as the encoding bitrate is not higher than 16Mb/s.

Long and short of it, A-10 with the higher end specs like quad-core (4 cores) as opposed to the dual-core (2 cores) and the implementation of HDMI 2.0a (full bandwidth at 18Gbps) vs the HDMI 1.4b (at 10.2Gbps) simply made PCH A-500 feel like an old mule...
« Last Edit: October 22, 2017, 09:19 by desray »

Offline Doggie Howser

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #40 on: October 22, 2017, 09:25 »
Wow so theoretically this could decode HEVC H265 rips of 4K movies?
End of Line - Derezzed

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
« Reply #41 on: October 22, 2017, 09:41 »
Wow so theoretically this could decode HEVC H265 rips of 4K movies?

Yes Sir.

Offline Yummyyumi

« Reply #42 on: October 22, 2017, 10:17 »
Yes Sir.
Hi,

I'm new on media player...

So it only read those Blu-ray when I rip it into my hard drive?

Not from the physical Blu-ray disc?

Sorry for the noob question  .

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Yummy.

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
« Reply #43 on: October 22, 2017, 10:27 »
Hi,

I'm new on media player...

So it only read those Blu-ray when I rip it into my hard drive?

Not from the physical Blu-ray disc?

Sorry for the noob question  .

Yes, you got that right.

Remember this is a media player. I have tried to connect an external bluray drive to it but i did not recognize though I heard that Android firmware Lollipop 5.1.1 allows one to attach a bluray drive to the USB port but in this case, it failed to recognize. But it didn't really matter if it work as future firmware likely going to break the connectivity once upgraded to Android Nougat (if that's gonna happen).

Offline Yummyyumi

« Reply #44 on: October 22, 2017, 10:31 »
Yes, you got that right.

Remember this is a media player. I have tried to connect an external bluray drive to it but i did not recognize though I heard that Android firmware Lollipop 5.1.1 allows one to attach a bluray drive to the USB port but in this case, it failed to recognize. But it didn't really matter if it work as future firmware likely going to break the connectivity once upgraded to Android Nougat (if that's gonna happen).
Thank you for the prompt reply.

Yummy.