Author Topic: New project alert! 3 Generations  (Read 16875 times)

Offline ed

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Kill 'em all, let g*d sort 'em out...
Re: New project alert! 3 Generations
« Reply #45 on: April 02, 2018, 15:15 »
Wow the platter and bearing design is superb with the lighting, I bet listening to it would have enhanced effects.  Its in a different league compared to what I am doing :)
« Last Edit: April 09, 2018, 11:30 by ed »

Offline ed

« Reply #46 on: April 09, 2018, 11:27 »
Worked on the original L75 over the weekend, scraping off the paint and sanding

Spray painting soon...

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk

« Last Edit: April 09, 2018, 11:30 by ed »

Offline wizardofoz

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • Dont take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive
« Reply #47 on: April 09, 2018, 11:30 »
if you are spraying yourself try the rustoleum sprays...I've had good success with them on metal chassis...otherwise I would take it to a shop that does powder coating or high grade enamel like a car workshop perhaps.

this was a hammered look paint from a can onto metal and PVC (the round part) and best to use a primer too of course.

« Last Edit: April 09, 2018, 11:38 by wizardofoz »
I have a pile of stuff that pushes out squiggly waveforms from smaller squiggly waveforms that sometimes come from 1's and 0's.
It's wonderful to behold as long as you don't let the magic smoke out.

Life is short! Enjoy the music while it plays, when it stops, there might be a chair for you...or  maybe not.

Offline ed

« Reply #48 on: April 09, 2018, 11:31 »
if you are spraying yourself try the rustoleum sprays...I've had good success with them on metal chassis...otherwise I would take it to a shop that does powder coating or high grade enamel like a car workshop perhaps.

Ok will surely check it out, thanks. :)

Offline wizardofoz

« Reply #49 on: April 09, 2018, 11:39 »
Just updated some pics
I have a pile of stuff that pushes out squiggly waveforms from smaller squiggly waveforms that sometimes come from 1's and 0's.

Life is short! Enjoy the music while it plays, when it stops, there might be a chair for you...or  maybe not.

Offline alamakazam

« Reply #50 on: April 09, 2018, 11:52 »
just curious .... how to really finalize the tonearm positioning?

i mean... we are not really doing with precision tooling... so how can we know the tonearm is in the correct position

XYZ table for the tonearm?

Offline GAGA@echoloft

« Reply #51 on: April 09, 2018, 22:16 »
SH...glad ur still fired up for all these work. enjoyed reading your adventure .
The Way Is Not In The Sky
The Way Is In The Heart

To attain Knowledge, add things everyday
To attain Wisdom, remove things everyday

Offline ed

« Reply #52 on: April 10, 2018, 09:08 »
SH...glad ur still fired up for all these work. enjoyed reading your adventure .

Thanks Nic, always good to hear this from an old friend.  Cutting down and slowly getting rid of my stuff and finishing those that were still in the works.  I need to clear my cabinet of goodies which my wife call junk.

Offline ed

« Reply #53 on: April 10, 2018, 09:35 »
just curious .... how to really finalize the tonearm positioning?

i mean... we are not really doing with precision tooling... so how can we know the tonearm is in the correct position

XYZ table for the tonearm?

Highly subjective question!

Commercial TTs which are mass produced are not engineered to that kind of precision.  So are the tonearms.  From the base where the tonearms are mounted you inherit all the good stuff if they well made and not tilted. If you remount the TT on another plinth that is perpendicular to gravity then if may help further.  If you outboard the tonearm you get flexibility of a xyz adjustment rather than the usual xy axis.  Then there is the counter balancing and cartridge alignment.  After that you need to adjust for optimal tracking force which differs with each cartridge.  The turntable probably has the most number of steps required to optimize the final output you desire, aside from vibrations and other factors which may drastically affect what you hear at the end.  There are hardly any tonearms that will let you adjust xyz to really align to the LP on the spinning platter.  If there are then its definitely not that sub 1k price range which most can stomach.

In my own observation, the TT has to be set up like new over and over again when you move it from place to place.  Unless you bolt it dead at a fix location, there will always be movements of the parts which requires constant adjustment.  Given the number of movable parts I don't think there is a perfect TT in this world, but I dare say there are lots of very well optimized ones out there.  Well there are always the CD/Media players if you just want a simple song.  Just my own opinion, didn't plan to start a war but definitely welcome active discussion.  Peace! in advance...

jlow
« Last Edit: April 10, 2018, 09:37 by ed »

Offline boring

« Reply #54 on: April 10, 2018, 10:09 »
SH. Let me know if you need spare parts for the Lenco.

Offline ed

« Reply #55 on: April 10, 2018, 11:34 »
SH. Let me know if you need spare parts for the Lenco.

Wow Gary!  Another Lenco supporter!  Sure I will and thanks in advance.

Offline wizardofoz

« Reply #56 on: April 16, 2018, 11:46 »
Bit late now but I might have left room for some more arm mounting options down the road. I probably would have done a multi layer plinth glued and screwed to get at least an inch or so below the motor for a more weighty base.

My ptp sits on 22Kg+ of slate that was cut out with water jet. Plinth weight is a huge benefit for TT's.

Some higher end pressings play at 45RPM spread over 4 sides for a single album...to improve the groove separation so you might want to have that 45 option. I often get caught out and have to adjust things to play more than a few of my albums that are releases on 180gm issues.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2018, 11:49 by wizardofoz »

Offline ed

« Reply #57 on: October 15, 2019, 09:41 »
Sharing via summary in google drive as most of the photo hosting site are not friendly towards what I wanted to do.  Anyways I am into my last amp rebuild for the year!  Rather happy with the progress and hope to complete as intended.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1VElxrxuUf7N6ENBXyxZ518D9QM9v6hBp

jlow

Offline jaffrie

« Reply #58 on: October 16, 2019, 17:35 »
Bravo ED. Me too have 1 have to many projects on hand must also find time to really finish them.
Guess that the moral for us diyers is always having itchy fingers to buy more then we can chew. LOL

Offline ed

« Reply #59 on: October 21, 2019, 09:43 »
Thanks Jaffrie!  No choice just too many already.  I am rotating between 4 or 5 Amps and 2 sets of speakers.  Plus tube amp parts are heavy and take up lots of space.  Think 3 will be ideal for my case :)
« Last Edit: October 22, 2019, 09:18 by ed »

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal