Author Topic: New project alert! 3 Generations  (Read 14676 times)

Offline ericsec

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Snr Member
Re: New project alert! 3 Generations
« Reply #30 on: December 27, 2017, 18:13 »
I know nothing about electronic and your diy amps looks dam cool. really envy and enjoy those pictures.
keep up the great works and more picture pls
 ;D

Offline ed

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Kill 'em all, let g*d sort 'em out...
« Reply #31 on: January 04, 2018, 16:28 »
Keep at it....part of the enjoyment of the journey :P

Yup.  This one is a tough nut.  Switch to DC heaters hum is there.  Swopped input jacks to a shorter path still same.  Shifted some grounding still no help.  Well I guess got to redo the whole thing again.  Not the first time, but always hope that its the last time.  Hahaha...

jlow

Offline ed

« Reply #32 on: January 04, 2018, 16:34 »
I know nothing about electronic and your diy amps looks dam cool. really envy and enjoy those pictures.
keep up the great works and more picture pls
 ;D

I am glad you liked it.  The problem with me is that I had too many parts at home and have always kept myself occupied with a few solders a night.  Rather therapeutic I would say.  Not really making $$$ out of it.  Occasional sales to fund other projects.  Keep the hobby and interest going.  Pass the time that I need to pass.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2018, 08:46 by ed »

Offline ed

« Reply #33 on: January 04, 2018, 16:59 »
If you have seen this video below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewD6C6kKaAY

You would have noticed that there is a rocking sound when the turntable starts to play.  Well I have decided to give it another try to fix this problem.  Unscrewed the plate holding the center post spindle or stub spindle of the TT and realized that it has 4 coils which are magnetized when powered.  The magnetic force then repels the magnet on the platter and causes it to go airborne while spinning.  Brilliant piece of work.  Out of the 4 coils 2 of them which are suppose to be glued to the surface got loose.  My guess is that the so called glue that holds them has worn off over the years.  What I did is reapply a thin layer of varnish and stick the coils back to position and leave them to dry.  After drying did a test and everything sounded perfect, without the rocking sound of course.

Messy job and didn't manage to take pics of this repair.  But have uploaded another video of the TT playing without any undesired sound and the link is below.  That's is the best start of 2018 for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RM59j_vEmsE

jlow
« Last Edit: January 05, 2018, 14:01 by ed »

Offline ed

« Reply #34 on: January 04, 2018, 22:55 »
Done some drilling and polishing tonight.  Hope fellow DIYers can still recognize this tonearm.

jlow

« Last Edit: January 05, 2018, 08:50 by ed »

Offline DIYer Straits

• 6N6P Über Tube
« Reply #35 on: January 06, 2018, 00:21 »
Nice attempt at a Technoarm but they have more holes, and bigger ones too.  ;D

Audere' Est Facere'    COME ON YOU SPURS.......
Laptop via XMOS
Khadas Tone DAC
Technics SL1200Mk2 (Modded) : Magnepan Unitrac : AT 33PTG/AT ART7
Ortofon T30 MC step-up, Custom MM WAD Phono3S Tube Phonostage/DACT CT100 (modded)
Custom 6N5P/6N6p Aikido Preamplifier
Modded TPA3118 Class D amplifier/Modded TPA 3255 power amplifier/Anaview AMS1000 power amplifier/KT88 SE
FAST with a 6.5" Satori mid and a 12" Pro woofer/Some Satori in birch ply cabinets with a PR/KEF R300
To be updated

Offline BTW

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #36 on: January 06, 2018, 08:23 »

No need to be the same lah.... ;) Good job by Bro Ed.....  ;D

Offline ed

« Reply #37 on: January 08, 2018, 09:18 »
The p

The problem is some of the parts are plastic and cannot be polished.  I wonder if a mix of black and silvery aluminium will look cool or weird...    ??? ???
« Last Edit: January 08, 2018, 09:20 by ed »

Offline DIYer Straits

• 6N6P Über Tube
« Reply #38 on: January 08, 2018, 09:59 »
The p
The problem is some of the parts are plastic and cannot be polished.  I wonder if a mix of black and silvery aluminium will look cool or weird...    ??? ???
Just use Damar varnish if you don't have C37 lacquer.

Sent from my MI MAX 2 using Tapatalk

Audere' Est Facere'    COME ON YOU SPURS.......
Laptop via XMOS
Khadas Tone DAC
Technics SL1200Mk2 (Modded) : Magnepan Unitrac : AT 33PTG/AT ART7
Ortofon T30 MC step-up, Custom MM WAD Phono3S Tube Phonostage/DACT CT100 (modded)
Custom 6N5P/6N6p Aikido Preamplifier
Modded TPA3118 Class D amplifier/Modded TPA 3255 power amplifier/Anaview AMS1000 power amplifier/KT88 SE
FAST with a 6.5" Satori mid and a 12" Pro woofer/Some Satori in birch ply cabinets with a PR/KEF R300
To be updated

Offline ed

« Reply #39 on: January 09, 2018, 09:16 »
Just use Damar varnish if you don't have C37 lacquer.

Sent from my MI MAX 2 using Tapatalk

Ok lets hope I get that finish which I am looking for, thank DIYer

Offline ed

« Reply #40 on: March 26, 2018, 10:01 »
Back after quite a long break.  Took time to do some listening, reading and searching for inspiration on how I would like to rebuild the Lenco L75.  During this period I managed to acquire a new motor, idler wheel, platter and bearing, just about all required for a PTP clone build.  I am currently working on the PTP Clone plates on 3mm Aluminum.  Bought a 3mm Stainless Steel plate and scrap the idea as I reckon that it will be too much work to even drill and file the SS plate.  I will show progress after I take some pics tonight.  Meanwhile I would like to share the part on the bearing which I am replacing the 5mm ball bearing within.  I bought a pack of 10 x 5mm Zirconium Oxide ceramic bearings as I understand that they are better performer when compared to the stock ball bearing.

First bearing replacement is easy as the unit is stock and very lightly used.  After replacement the feel is very smooth and I liked it after a drop of bearing oil.  Not that the bearing oil is necessary but I just liked the idea of it.

The second bearing replacement is horrible.  It was taken out from the lenco turntable which I bought and obviously serviced by one who believes that grease does wonders.  The pic below is after I use cotton buds to remove huge chunks of grease covering it to the brink.

It’s a pain to remove the grease and after replacing the ball bearing, the spindle felt heavy and a far cry from the previous.  I suspect there may be more grease hidden within the stem and I probably need to do another round of cleanup on the entire assembly.  Also the physical condition of the bearing is not as good as the previous.  The technician may have done a bad job in the while trying to service the bearing.  Maybe that’s the reason why it ended up with me as I doubt the restrictive bearing probably won't produce great sonic impact, least not to me at the sight and feel of it

Hope to share more soon…

jlow
« Last Edit: March 26, 2018, 10:18 by ed »

Offline wizardofoz

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • Dont take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive
« Reply #41 on: March 26, 2018, 20:34 »
Bro there is a good reason Pete uses 5mm SS for his plates...anything less won't be ideal - I have one and built 2 TT's based on this plate for a friend...One of which he passed to me.

Good luck with your build tho. Drilling SS is not hard but you need good new drill bits. PTP's plates come pre drilled so easy to do :P

Do yourself a favour and buy a decent set of SS digital callipers too. You wont regret...use mine all the time.

« Last Edit: March 26, 2018, 20:36 by wizardofoz »
I have a pile of stuff that pushes out squiggly waveforms from smaller squiggly waveforms that sometimes come from 1's and 0's.
It's wonderful to behold as long as you don't let the magic smoke out.

Life is short! Enjoy the music while it plays, when it stops, there might be a chair for you...or  maybe not.

Offline ed

« Reply #42 on: March 27, 2018, 10:07 »
Bro there is a good reason Pete uses 5mm SS for his plates...anything less won't be ideal - I have one and built 2 TT's based on this plate for a friend...One of which he passed to me.

Good luck with your build tho. Drilling SS is not hard but you need good new drill bits. PTP's plates come pre drilled so easy to do

Do yourself a favour and buy a decent set of SS digital callipers too. You wont regret...use mine all the time.

Pete used 4mm SS actually.  Anyway I am trying the PTP clone because I have some loose parts that are good enough for a new turntable.  Very much experimental and it is unlikely that I will follow exactly what he does.  There must be hundreds of permutations out there for the PTP ranging from plinth, setup, tonearm and cartridge.  I am just whipping up something that I felt is doable, not to challenge those who have spent big $ on the real thing.  Neither am I a conformist in my DIY pursuits.

Not touching SS for now, I have plans to reuse the SS plate for other projects.  I do have the carbide bits but I am already half way through with the aluminum plates.  I do have a B&D saw but prefer to do it this way in my little work space with minimum noise to my neighbours.  They have been nice to me so far.

Ditch the Analog caliper for Digital?  That question that has been ringing in my mind all the time.  Will seriously consider that if I have more projects coming but I really don't think so.  My plan is to stop DIY after all my projects are completed.  That is provided I can finish them.

The next few days will be mostly drilling and filing for me...

jlow
« Last Edit: April 02, 2018, 09:02 by ed »

Offline ed

« Reply #43 on: March 30, 2018, 22:20 »

Part 1 of 2 almost there.  Just need some touch up filing and sanding.  Hope to get the second part started soon.  Very time consuming work here.

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk

Offline ed

« Reply #44 on: April 01, 2018, 10:39 »
Part 2 almost there too

Tough work!

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: April 01, 2018, 10:56 by ed »