Author Topic: Apple 4K TV Thread  (Read 14357 times)

Offline Ccyao

• Trade Count: (+2)
4k Apple TV - HDR and Dolby Vision
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2017, 08:28 »
Seems like Infuse Pro allows  streaming of 4k content from NAS. Not sure whether it supports HDR though. Anyone tried this?
Tempted to get one to play.

Infuse Pro 5 by Firecore, LLChttps://itunes.apple.com/sg/app/infuse-pro-5/id1136220915?mt=8

Unfortunately, still does not support Dolby Atmos and DTS-X.

Seems like 64gb model is out of stock in Singapore.

Btw, anyone knows whether Denon X7200WA can pass through DV signal if I have a DV tv?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Gears: LG 75UJ657T, Denon X7200WA, Emotiva XPA-5 Gen 2, SVS Prime Center/Bookshelf(Front)/Satellite(Surround), AG Micro x 4 for Atmos, dual Rythmik LVX12, Popcorn Hour A-500, xBox One S, Synology DS416.

Offline Doggie Howser

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: 4k Apple TV - HDR and Dolby Vision
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2017, 10:38 »

Seems like 64gb model is out of stock in Singapore.

Australia too. Any reason to go for bigger unit? Does it store movies locally? So far only used it for streaming.

Btw, anyone knows whether Denon X7200WA can pass through DV signal if I have a DV tv?

Firmware to support DV is expected to be out Spring 2018 I think. Same as the 8802A
End of Line - Derezzed

Offline Ccyao

« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2017, 10:56 »
Australia too. Any reason to go for bigger unit? Does it store movies locally? So far only used it for streaming.
I will be using it mainly for streaming as well. But since the price difference is only SGD30, to me, it’s worth to get another 32gb. That’s less than $1/gb. I may download games on it. :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Gears: LG 75UJ657T, Denon X7200WA, Emotiva XPA-5 Gen 2, SVS Prime Center/Bookshelf(Front)/Satellite(Surround), AG Micro x 4 for Atmos, dual Rythmik LVX12, Popcorn Hour A-500, xBox One S, Synology DS416.

Offline Doggie Howser

« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2017, 11:05 »
I got it originally for the non 4K TV hence the 32GB was fine. Might get the 64GB when it gets back in stock for the Media room.
End of Line - Derezzed

Online petetherock

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Sidere Mens Eadem Mutato
    • My Music, Movie and Equipment Musings...
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2017, 13:48 »
IIRC, still no Dolby Atmos and DTS-X right?
Please post instead of sending a pm, so more can learn.

My gear:
https://peteswrite.blogspot.sg/2018/03/my-setup-32018.html

Offline Ccyao

« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2017, 13:49 »
Ya. Still no.

Offline comfortablynumb

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2018, 16:22 »
64GB seems to be oos everywhere
So ordered from Lazada and arrived at the door 3 days later
With the latest fw upgrade to 11.2, I have no complains
Now that Apple promised Atmos, I am patiently waiting
If we call for the proof and we question the answers
Only the doubt will grow......
- Ammonia Avenue (Alan Parsons Project)

Offline Ccyao

« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2018, 20:20 »
I got mine from Apple Store last week

Offline tsammyc

• I think, therefore I am
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2018, 20:09 »
Apple Store was out today. But the reseller iStudio next door in Paragon has plenty.

Offline tsammyc

Apple 4K TV Thread
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2018, 20:29 »
I just picked up the Apple TV 4K and have some questions with the cables. I have two Monoprice cables. One is the Slim High Speed Cable 18Gbps and the other is DynamicView Active High Speed Cable, 4K, HDR, 18Gbps. Only the DynamicView works on 4K 60Hz HDR at 4:2:2 Chroma. The slim cable, while certified for 18Gbps will only do 4K 60Hz HDR at 4:2:0. I originally bought the DynamicView for installing somewhere else in the house so is there any advantage to watching 4K movies at 4:2:2 instead of 4:2:0?

Lastly, the Apple TV 4K can also drive 4:4:4 Chroma on 4K 60Hz SDR. Am wondering if anyone has noticed the sharpness difference between 4:4:4 and 4:2:2 and whether it is worth the loss of HDR?

Getting the right HDMI cables for the Apple TV 4K at a reasonable price can be a challenge!
« Last Edit: January 23, 2018, 21:03 by tsammyc »

Offline tsammyc

Re: Apple 4K TV Thread
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2018, 21:11 »
I decided to rename this to the Apple 4K TV thread because I'm finding other issues. I just tried the Amazon Prime Video app on the ATV4K on The Grand Tour in HDR and its definitely jerkier than the same picture on the Samsung app although it does seem a hair bit sharper. I thought it might be the HDMI cable so I reduced it from 4K 60Hz 4:2:2 to 4:2:0 that dramatically reduces the bandwidth and no difference, so I don't think its the HDMI cable. Since the Prime Video app only just appeared on ATVs, perhaps they need to work out some bugs. But for now, I'll stick to the Samsung TV app. A brief test of the Netflix app, I haven't noticed any problems with jerkiness, but need to watch more HDR content. The Grand Tour has some really fast paced sweeping panoramic views which should be one of the more difficult tests for the TV processors & software.

Offline tsammyc

« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2018, 21:47 »
Just a quick update. I've been comparing Star Trek Discovery using the ATV4K app vs the Samsung app. As mentioned in another thread, Discover is probably encoded in 1080p HDR. The ATV4K is far superior in overall sharpness and color. Blacks on the Samsung app have speckles from time to time and there is a graininess on skin tones and moire like colors. The ATV4K Netflix app is much better. Blacks are smooth and skin tones, while not perfect, are far freer from unwanted colors. To be confirmed after I A/B some 4K HDR Netflix content, but I think the ATV4K is going to be the vehicle to watch Netflix and the Samsung Smarthub to watch Amazon Prime.

Also noticed that there are a fair number of 4K movies in the Apple TV catalog. The main draw for me was the previous movies I bought got upgraded to 4K automatically. There are also 99c 4K HDR rentals like Ghost In The Shell on this week. I'll probably watch it tomorrow to see how good is in 4K. Can't beat 99c.

Offline keai

« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2018, 21:51 »
64GB seems to be oos everywhere
So ordered from Lazada and arrived at the door 3 days later
With the latest fw upgrade to 11.2, I have no complains
Now that Apple promised Atmos, I am patiently waiting

did Apple mention the timeline of Atmos support?

Offline Doggie Howser

« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2018, 21:52 »
That’s weird. I thought Grand Tour was sharper on ADSL on my AppleTV than on my LG app.

But having said that - Apple offers no way of showing what the resolution of streaming is.
End of Line - Derezzed

Offline jdc115

• Trade Count: (+1)
« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2018, 22:37 »
Are there any streaming services that support Atmos or can Atmos be done with something less then TrueHD (is DD+ with Atmos possible)?  I've not heard any streaming service suggest that this may be available in the future and Apple does not seem to be interested to have their device to be used with media outside of steaming/rental services