Author Topic: Recommendation for pro speakers for LCR  (Read 6316 times)

Offline sevenz

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • home theatre lover :D
Recommendation for pro speakers for LCR
« on: July 02, 2017, 23:47 »
After hearing from some bros here, I am keen to switch to pro audio speakers for my LCR speakers to improve the overall dialogue and experience. Seems like those with horn design are good.

Budget $2.2k for LCR.

Any brands and models to recommend? =)

« Last Edit: July 03, 2017, 16:11 by sevenz »

Offline wechnivag

• Trade Count: (+1)
Re: Recommendation for pro speakers for LCR
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2017, 00:19 »
Hsu research HB-1 mk2 or PSA MT110 as a start for the low end of the budget. Read the reviews, they are quite amazing for HT, and have incredible soundstage and imaging in stereo. The only downside maybe the highs may not have that 'air' associated with hifi dome tweeters.

There's some info in this thread. Sorry, here's the link..

http://www.xtremeplace.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=248254.0

Going a bit higher, there are JTR Noesis range, but already out of budget.

Diysoundgroup has a lot of options for all output levels and price range.

In fact, you can even stay with a highly regarded hifi dome tweeter design, in the marksman. It uses the dayton rs28 tweeter. The benefit is the controlled directivity of the seos waveguide on the tweeter.

www.diysoundgroup.com/speaker-kits/marksman-kit.html

Of course, not to forget big boys JBL and QSC , but probably the cinema range speakers are too big and too ugly for home.

JBL has powered active series, LSR308 and LSR305 that would be very very good too. Well within your budget.  Actually, for easy of application, LSR308 or 305 is probably your best choice. Can use a single 305 for center.

Sent from my X9009 using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: July 03, 2017, 10:55 by wechnivag »

Offline eagle15

• Trade Count: (+3)
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2017, 10:44 »
I second diysoundgroup kits if you are adventurous enough. Great value for money. If you are considering MTM designs, make sure the Center speaker can be placed vertically to avoid lobing/dispersion issues widely discussed in AVS.

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk

Listen with your ears, and not judge with your eyes.

Offline ronildoq

• Trade Count: (+2)
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2017, 12:31 »
Bro, honestly given the Budget I would go with treating the room and first reflection points, since u can't move MLP.  The problem doesn't lie with with the equipment. The room is dominating. There r nice acoustic paintings that u can use too,waf friendly. Solve the reverb issues too with helmhotz.

I believe  that will bring up the entire system to the next level.

Alternatively if u have a spare room, move entire system to room. I believe that would be good option as well.

Offline sevenz

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2017, 13:39 »
Hsu research HB-1 mk2 or PSA MT110 as a start for the low end of the budget. Read the reviews, they are quite amazing for HT, and have incredible soundstage and imaging in stereo. The only downside maybe the highs may not have that 'air' associated with hifi dome tweeters.

Thanks bro wech. Just read them. Yea,  the reviews are amazing! I have used hsu products and I have trust in them. So tempted that I almost ordered online. *control!* haha

And I believe this could give the expansive dialogue and stage I am searching for. And best, for a fraction of the cost of my b&w.

Do we rem anyone in XP who used these models b4?

And they have a new cc8 too. But not many reviews online for it yet
« Last Edit: July 03, 2017, 14:21 by sevenz »

Offline sevenz

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2017, 13:42 »
I second diysoundgroup kits if you are adventurous enough. Great value for money. If you are considering MTM designs, make sure the Center speaker can be placed vertically to avoid lobing/dispersion issues widely discussed in AVS.

Diysoundgroup has a lot of options for all output levels and price range.

In fact, you can even stay with a highly regarded hifi dome tweeter design, in the marksman. It uses the dayton rs28 tweeter. The benefit is the controlled directivity of the seos waveguide on the tweeter.

www.diysoundgroup.com/speaker-kits/marksman-kit.html

Like. =)

I am open to that option. But it will have to be waf friendly aesthetically. Any to recommend that looks OK or above average? =)
« Last Edit: July 03, 2017, 13:44 by sevenz »

Offline wechnivag

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2017, 14:04 »
Like. =)

I am open to that option. But it will have to be waf friendly aesthetically. Any to recommend that looks OK or above average? =)
Aesthetics is somewhat subjective.

Here's what the Marksman could look like.

And the JBL LSRs.

Some slightly more refined looking ones.

Lals from Taiwan makes some beautiful speakers. Not sure if available in Singapore. Also don't know how they sound, but I can't tell from your comments so far, if looks or sound is the more important factor

www.lals-audio.com.tw/product/product.asp?smenutitle=Neo-Classical+8&book_id=112&hot=&Category1_ID=460&Category2_ID=469&anclasspro=&nclasspro=A035&MenuTitle=Neo-Classical+Series&pagetitle=Neo-Classical+8

« Last Edit: July 03, 2017, 14:16 by wechnivag »

Offline m0j0_vin

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2017, 15:21 »
I used to own JBL Studio 5 floorstanders and they were very dynamic and great for movies. I use it mainly for movies so that was my priority for choosing it. Price should be around your budget too.  I changed them to KK Q125 which unfortunately are no longer available.

http://www.jblsynthesis.com/productdetail/studio_580.html

Offline sevenz

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2017, 16:13 »
Some slightly more refined looking ones.

thanks bro. This is nice :) what brand/ model is this

Offline wechnivag

« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2017, 16:56 »
Found them here, haha.

horns.pl/en/speaker-sets/fp10/

« Last Edit: July 03, 2017, 16:58 by wechnivag »

Offline sevenz

« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2017, 17:21 »
Thanks bro Wech.

After reading the HSU speakers review, i am.... deeply poisoned. hahaha.... price also affordable, maybe i should buy one to try.

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Bring the "Cinema experience" back home...
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2017, 20:42 »
Thanks bro Wech.

After reading the HSU speakers review, i am.... deeply poisoned. hahaha.... price also affordable, maybe i should buy one to try.

Bro, when it comes to speakers, try to ask the dealer whether is it possible to do a home trial using their demo units - make a deposit of some sort to assure them of your interest. Sound is very subjective, you can't come to a conclusion whether it fits your listening environment. Take note, I am talking about spending some serious $$$ (investment) in the region of thousands of dollars on the LCR...of course it may not be feasible for say a $200 - $400 range of speakers as dealer likely not gonna entertain it.

Offline sevenz

« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2017, 21:13 »
Bro, when it comes to speakers, try to ask the dealer whether is it possible to do a home trial using their demo units - make a deposit of some sort to assure them of your interest. Sound is very subjective, you can't come to a conclusion whether it fits your listening environment. Take note, I am talking about spending some serious $$$ (investment) in the region of thousands of dollars on the LCR...of course it may not be feasible for say a $200 - $400 range of speakers as dealer likely not gonna entertain it.

Thanks desray. Yep I will.

Too bad hsu & psa doesn't have local agent. Sigh.

Will spend some time doing research on this. Quite a few candidates including kef too =) spoilt for choices keke.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2017, 21:14 by sevenz »

Offline hanger_shawn

• Trade Count: (+6)
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2017, 23:09 »
Bro try mk sound la :) those with 3 tweeter ones hahas sound quite good tho
Mp300 or mp150 couldnt go wrong i think and the price is good according to another bro that change all his spk to it
« Last Edit: July 04, 2017, 23:12 by hanger_shawn »

Offline sevenz

« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2017, 23:17 »
Bro try mk sound la :) those with 3 tweeter ones hahas sound quite good tho
Mp300 or mp150 couldnt go wrong i think and the price is good according to another bro that change all his spk to it

saw thru liao the catalogue. The aesthetics confirm buay pass my MHA