Author Topic: Avoid windows 10 at all.cost  (Read 1231 times)

Offline qflyer

• Trade Count: (0)
Avoid windows 10 at all.cost
« on: May 19, 2017, 23:31 »
I have enough of the stupid windows 10. The updating is driving me crazy,  it will update while you are working on the pc on the web, it get worse when the apps update at the same time. Pc will.slow to crawl.
The installation is very painful. It can get stuck at a certain percentage for a long time.
No more windows pc i am buying a mac.

Offline qflyer

Re: Avoid windows 10 at all.cost
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2017, 23:46 »
This force feeding update is driving alot of people mad .

Offline silencer13

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • I have found Audiophile Nirvana and it cost me $40
    • Tokyo Fantasy Online Toy Store
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2017, 09:11 »
Yeah, I hate Windows and their Nazi updates. There have been times when I still have unsaved work and Windows, after updating just restarts the computer without your permission.

Glad I shifted to Mac 2 years ago. Been so smooth ever since and never had any screen of death.

Offline stereoman2

• Snr Member
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2017, 09:23 »
I have enough of the stupid windows 10. The updating is driving me crazy,  it will update while you are working on the pc on the web, it get worse when the apps update at the same time. Pc will.slow to crawl.
The installation is very painful. It can get stuck at a certain percentage for a long time.
No more windows pc i am buying a mac.

U can set to notify only till u decide to initiate update. I usually let it update when I go dinner etc

Offline Boxerfan88

• Trade Count: (+1)
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2017, 10:11 »
If you really want to prevent  updates, set the network to metered connection, then it won't update. Google for instructions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yamaha RXA3030 | DA&T A38  | Usher MD2+X616 | Orisun DD+12 | Samsung PS50B850 Plasma | ADX Shakers
RPi3+Kodi | Sony BDP-S5100 | Asus X99AII+i7-6800K+foobar2000

Offline silencer13

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • I have found Audiophile Nirvana and it cost me $40
    • Tokyo Fantasy Online Toy Store
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2017, 10:14 »
U can set to notify only till u decide to initiate update. I usually let it update when I go dinner etc

There are certain critical updates that totally ignore this setting.
My Windows used to be on manual updates but still certain updates will override this.

Offline wizardofoz

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Dont take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2017, 11:29 »
I think pro version has better control than home, but windows these is so aggressive about updates because it so full of security holes
I have a pile of stuff that pushes out squiggly waveforms from smaller squiggly waveforms that sometimes come from 1's and 0's.
It's wonderful to behold as long as you don't let the magic smoke out.

Life is short! Enjoy the music while it plays, when it stops, there might be a chair for you...or  maybe not.

Offline composition

• Trade Count: (+5)
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2017, 12:01 »
I never had problems with the updates.

I love windows 10 .

Offline qflyer

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2017, 14:30 »
The latest update yesterday was horrible. The updated was stuck at 23 % for a few hours and stuck again at 24%. The installation was stuck too for a long long time. Then came the rebooting, it was stuck too. The same happened when I first bought the pc.
The force update and troubled installation were absolutely annoying I am sure I am not the only one.
It's not likely Microsoft will change, so save yourself some tears and move to Apple Mac
I will not buy anything with windows 10 in it.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2017, 14:34 by qflyer »

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Bring the "Cinema experience" back home...
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2017, 19:57 »
The latest update yesterday was horrible. The updated was stuck at 23 % for a few hours and stuck again at 24%. The installation was stuck too for a long long time. Then came the rebooting, it was stuck too. The same happened when I first bought the pc.
The force update and troubled installation were absolutely annoying I am sure I am not the only one.
It's not likely Microsoft will change, so save yourself some tears and move to Apple Mac
I will not buy anything with windows 10 in it.

Not trying to pick on you here or anything. I think you are overly exaggerating here with the Windows Update being a PITA. Sure, it does from time to time and I'm not gonna deny that but NOT to the extent of literally telling people to boycott the whole Windows OS entirely?! You probably are the minority here...for the rest of us, there is really nothing wrong, at least from my experience...I really don't get what your are trying to achieve here by posting this? Avoid at all cost because of the Windows Update?! Hmmm... ??? ???

BTW I am OS agnostic...both Mac OS and Windows, heck even Chrome OS, I am also fine with it.

Offline cstanxpl

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2017, 21:27 »
I feel Windows 10 to be the best Windows so far. Better than even Windows 7.

Only the recent Creator version requires a lengthy update and a couple of reboots.

But if you have at least a decent i3-CPU and SSD, it should still update within less than 1 hour.

My Windows 10 had been upgraded twice since the first time I installed it and never encountered hang or encountered any error.

Each month, there will be a malicious software scan done by Windows update and this is the only small update that takes a longer time to perform since it is scanning your PC. It would take longer if you have an external USB HDD connected. Even if there are downloaded and installed updates, it never restarts my PC without my permission. So I guess I am one of the lucky ones. Then again, I do restart my PC a number of times a day. If there are downloaded updates, I just do a update and restart and goes for lunch. Once back, it had restarted and waiting for me to login with my password. Not really an issue for me.
"With such collusions don't it make you wanna SCREAM?"

"Different folks !!! Different strokes !!!"

Online Wilber

• Trade Count: (+7)
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2017, 22:30 »
the force update has been a past. it has hugely improved, i don't know you're from which version to start with or have you set the parameter correctly. i see there are many users fault than os fault.

Offline qflyer

« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2017, 00:37 »
ARArvind Ram replied on  July 20, 2016See post history
Microsoft
Hi,
We are aware that a set of users are reporting a slow or seemingly-stuck upgrade experience when attempting to upgrade to Windows 10 or update between versions of Windows 10. The upgrade process usually takes 90 minutes or less to complete, but there is a very small subset of PCs, usually older or slower devices, where the upgrade process can take longer than typical. This situation is not related to a specific upgrade tool and has been shown to happen with Windows 10 Upgrade Assistant, Media Creation Tool, USB media, and ISO media. 
In these cases, even if the progress percentage appears stuck, the upgrade is still running. An error message should be displayed in case of actual failure. Cancelling and trying alternate methods is unlikely to improve the experience and will reset any upgrade progress made. 
We recommend the user wait until the upgrade completes before taking further action. Users can keep working as normal while the upgrade is in progress. A delay of one day would be highly unusual, but we recommend that users wait that long for the upgrade complete or to confirm there is an issue.  At that time, users should reach out to Microsoft Support or visit a Microsoft Store location so we can look into issues with the PC.
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-windows_install/windows-10-upgrade-assistant-is-stuck-at-99/1708a411-3255-4bec-804a-d2553f2fd645

Offline qflyer

« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2017, 00:38 »
we recommend that users wait that long for the upgrade complete or to confirm there is an issue.

from the above post.
wait that took hours. so buy a mac. end of your trouble.

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Bring the "Cinema experience" back home...
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2017, 07:08 »
from the above post.
wait that took hours. so buy a mac. end of your trouble.
\

Yes, in that case...I suggest you do that to end your misery.

All the best!