Author Topic: Help needed to setup HT room  (Read 13932 times)

Offline keai

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Help needed to setup HT room
« Reply #165 on: November 08, 2017, 15:04 »
Looks great on the decor , you have different option of screens n projector . Motorize or fixed and projector best with lens shift .
Thanks Alf, will use my exist fix screen for the time being, and existing projector too, while waiting for upgrading to 4k projector when price tag lowers....

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Offline alf

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Let your experience define your choice "View It"
    • www.entheos.com.sg
« Reply #166 on: November 08, 2017, 15:27 »
Base on the interior light shades will likely have lots of reflected light . If change have to use other screen material to cope with it , have to check if the type of surface and type of reflection they use .

It has change in terms of the screen surfaces and ability the conventional are reflected and diffuser for standard lens or mid throw lenses .

New screen material are retro reflection and ment for the ultra short throw projectors , it comes in pros and cons .

Yup for now the true 4k n UHD ready are available . The screen material also change slightly to accommodate the projector .
Cyrus Cine-Projection Screens will unleash the Visual Experince of your " Home Theatre"
      Optical Tech / Metal Fabricator NTC/ ( ISF Trained Dealer)
JVC projectors UHD /HDR HDCP 2.2 compliant /Sony projector 4k .Optima UHD .Cyrus cine projection , OPTI White , Phantom Grey and Black Mambo II for different ambient application screen. JKP 709 calibration disc / UHD HDR ~10 calibaration disc

Offline WuffRuff

• Snr Member
« Reply #167 on: December 04, 2018, 05:13 »
Bro, i assume the point u draw on the photo is the actual spot.

If it is, then ALL your ceiling speakers including front height is placed too narrow. It will result in the sound stage and separation not being that good. I made the same mistake for my front heights and regretted... sigh

Can u place them as wide as possible to the edge of Lbox? The Sound field and separation will be likely much better. ;)

U can come my house and I can demo to u what it means. U can hear the difference when u place wider.

Someone told me the same too... to put the surround and ceiling speakers as far apart as possible.
I am wondering... how wide is too wide?
My living room is wide at the sides and narrow to the front.
So my width is 442cm (or 14.5 Ft) and my MLP is 305-335 (10-11 Ft) from front wall.
I can set them 12.5 Ft apart but would this be too wide as it is longer than my MLP distance to the front.
My projector screen width is 200m.
What would be the recommended settings for a 5.1.2 setup for my room size?

Offline sigurros

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • "What we think, we become"
« Reply #168 on: December 04, 2018, 08:18 »
Someone told me the same too... to put the surround and ceiling speakers as far apart as possible.
So my width is 442cm (or 14.5 Ft) and my MLP is 305-335 (10-11 Ft) from front wall.
I can set them 12.5 Ft apart but would this be too wide as it is longer than my MLP distance to the front.

Not too sure of any help. 

but use this calculator for some guide.

http://www.hunecke.de/en/calculators/room-eigenmodes.html

Offline whitesox

• Trade Count: (+2)
« Reply #169 on: December 04, 2018, 14:54 »

Hi,
There is no fix spec that dies die must follow... It depends on your room size.
What you need to take note is don't place your LCR to near each other.
Same for your side/rear surround toward MLP too.

Here is my placement (hoping can give you some idea) :

Front L to Front R speaker: 240 cm (my C is exactly in the middle)
REAR surr towards MLP: 140 cm (left -- MLP -- right)
Side surr towards MLP: 200 cm  (left -- MLP -- right)
My rear surr, ceiling and front speaker are one straight line but my side surr is wider out.
Side to rear surr has 150cm separation same distance towards ceiling surround speaker
Front and rear ceiling has 150cm too.
I dont use Room Eigenmodes Calculator (too complicated for me  ;D)

Too near between surround channel will sound 'rujak' (mix up and no clear separation)
I would suggest you visit few brothers here for your reference. You will have a clearer picture.
Always good to make more friends  anyway :)

Jag, Keai has a good dedicated HT room

Online BadEnglish

• Int 0x19
« Reply #170 on: December 04, 2018, 15:00 »
Hi,

My rear surr, ceiling and front speaker are one straight line but my side surr is wider out.
Side to rear surr has 150cm separation same distance towards ceiling surround speaker

Too near between surround channel will sound 'rujak' (mix up and no clear separation)
I would suggest you visit few brothers here for your reference. You will have a clearer picture.

How would she understand what you are saying.
Either invite her to your place or put photos here,  or both
Trying very hard to reproduce the music and sound that creative mixing-artists composed in the studios, at home with limited knowledge and resources.

Offline kenshin07

• Trade Count: (+1)
« Reply #171 on: December 04, 2018, 16:20 »
Best is to follow the dolby atmos layout. You wont be very wrong if you follow closely.

https://www.dolby.com/us/en/guide/dolby-atmos-speaker-setup/index.html
Power amp: Aragon 8008BB, Proceed 2/3
speaker: Front/Center/Surround/SurrBack:Dynaudio contour s1.4, dynaudio 210C | PSB imagine s surround | PSB Imagine mini | Atmos spk AG diva SE
Sub: starke dual sub36
Player: Oppo 203
Cable: AFA Zeus II PC (SUB), ESP reference PC (pwr amp, AVR, Oppo 203), AFA Zeus II speaker cable, oyaide MTB 6 with AFA Zeus II PC

Offline ronildoq

« Reply #172 on: December 04, 2018, 19:07 »
Best is to follow the dolby atmos layout. You wont be very wrong if you follow closely.

+1 wont go wrong, some reading for those who wanna set up, simple guide from Dolby

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1opQJbVGQRkasXmYMiKHsKFcUBrSgxKmq/view?usp=drivesdk

Offline WuffRuff

• Snr Member
« Reply #173 on: December 06, 2018, 04:40 »
Hi,

Thanks.
This is very helpful.
Did you try out and compare various configurations before coming to this?

Offline whitesox

« Reply #174 on: December 06, 2018, 08:30 »
Thanks.
This is very helpful.
Did you try out and compare various configurations before coming to this?

NO problem,

Yes, I did my homework before my house renovation begin.
I used Dolby setup recommendation as my reference, others setup (google you can find plenty) and also visiting few friends.

I didn't follow exactly what Dolby recommend, must be the same ear levels for side and rear surround. I prefer to raise up 60cm above ear level at MLP position.
I did a few height trials run before I decide which one is suited to my ears.
http://www.xtremeplace.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=278800.15
I visited Jag's house.... (fyi.. he is one of our si-fu here)
He also don't follow exactly what Dolby recommended. He use FH parallel it with a front ceiling atmos setup as well as his rear ceiling hook up to RH.
Sounds open wider and evenly.
I poisoned by his setup!.....

Our HDB ceiling is too low therefore it is hard to implement 3 layers of sound and place VoG in the middle... from Auro 3D

All of us has different layout and size of our room so I would suggest you make a trip to few brothers
You may find a closer layout with your room then use it as your reference. You also can visit me if you want ... see and hear by yourself then you decide later
 :)
« Last Edit: December 09, 2018, 14:19 by whitesox »

Offline lampsy86

« Reply #175 on: December 09, 2018, 20:32 »
NO problem,

Yes, I did my homework before my house renovation begin.
I used Dolby setup recommendation as my reference, others setup (google you can find plenty) and also visiting few friends.

I didn't follow exactly what Dolby recommend, must be the same ear levels for side and rear surround. I prefer to raise up 60cm above ear level at MLP position.
I did a few height trials run before I decide which one is suited to my ears.
http://www.xtremeplace.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=278800.15
I visited Jag's house.... (fyi.. he is one of our si-fu here)
He also don't follow exactly what Dolby recommended. He use FH parallel it with a front ceiling atmos setup as well as his rear ceiling hook up to RH.
Sounds open wider and evenly.
I poisoned by his setup!.....

Our HDB ceiling is too low therefore it is hard to implement 3 layers of sound and place VoG in the middle... from Auro 3D

All of us has different layout and size of our room so I would suggest you make a trip to few brothers
You may find a closer layout with your room then use it as your reference. You also can visit me if you want ... see and hear by yourself then you decide later
 :)
[/quote

So wait, Jag's HT setup has a front height (L & R), a rear height (L & R) plus another 4 in-ceiling speakers in the TFR, TFL, TBR, TBL position ???

WOOOOOOOOOOW !!!!  :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o That is some setup !!

Which AV processor does he use ? Trinnov? Datasat ?

Offline Jag

• Global Moderator
  • I predicted overhead spkrs 10 yrs ago.
« Reply #176 on: December 09, 2018, 23:07 »
Yes, that’s correct about the 4 height and 4 ceiling speakers.

I did multiple experiments during the very early days of ATMOS. I found too many people follow guidelines blindly; even myself during my own renovation period. I found that my ATMOS technique is better and very effective for HTs with low ceiling like HDB ceilings. The feeling is sooo good that a few folks have followed my technique after I did a comparison listening experimentation. In short, ATMOS done this has far superior and cohesive immersion like those in cinemas.

Exactly better in what way? Overhead sounds were more believable as overhead sound objects pan smoothly from ear level to overhead, rather than jump between these 2 planes.  This emulates somewhat to ATMOS speaker arrays in commercial cinemas.

I just a regular 7.2.4 config with my Denon 7200.

« Last Edit: December 09, 2018, 23:12 by Jag »
ATMOS and Auro ready! 15 surr spkrs . Time to optimize

Offline DJQ

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • PLINIUS The Heart Of Music
« Reply #177 on: Today at 01:05 »
+1  ;)
Dynaudio Confidence C1 Signature, Center, Contour SR, DM3/7 IC17x4 Sub300x2 Sub600
Denon AVC-X8500H, Plinius CD-101, Tautoro, SA-103, Sony X800, PS4, Optoma UHD65, Panasonic CX700.
ProJect Q.