Author Topic: Help needed to setup HT room  (Read 14838 times)

Online BadEnglish

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Int 0x19
Re: Help needed to setup HT room
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2017, 09:42 »
time to look for help again, have to finalize the setup real soon as cables have to be concealed within 1-2 weeks time, 

This is the plan of the speaker placement, for 7.1.4 setup. Need advice on below:

1. Does the speaker placement make sense?
2. My existing screen is 96", is it worth upgrading to 120", seems the size difference is not significant.
3. For SL/R and SBL/R speakers, which option is better: a) mount to L-Box b) mount to wall and c) use stand. As I plan to have a full height curtain for left wall to cover the 3 way track sliding door, if SL speaker mount to wall, it will be behind the curtain. Use stand will block the way when need to open sliding door. Prefer to mount to L-Box but not sure make sense or not. SBL/R if can mount to L-Box also better (looks neater).
4. Once the speaker positions are fixed, I need to run cables, Peng recommends awg14/16 cables for surround, any good recommendation on brand and where to get?
5. For the 4 ceiling speakers, what is the best way to run the cables, conceal them in the ceiling, leave banana plugs outside in the exact positions, and plug into the speakers when they are installed later?
6. Plan to put projector inside the top cabinet of the wardrobe, so I can have a longer throw distance to project bigger size if needed and avoid the hassle of ceiling mount. Any comments on the disadvantages of this placement?

All suggestions and advices are welcome! Many thanks!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

It seems to me that you are trying to follow Dolby's recommendation for 7.1.4 ( Top ) set up and you have left with a week or two to get your final setup. I believe you had visited a few HT setups and drawn latest layout.

I am not familiar with projector and screen but fairly has knowledge of 7.1.4 ( Top ) setup. I have followed , religiously , to Dolby's recommendation.
So here I go :

3. On stand unless you have small babies or pets running around.
4. Mime are 12 AWG.

Before your finally final drawing, To get better and clear picture, I suggest you visit some of the members' HT setup those who have same configuration like yours. Well, one of them is mime , another one I know is CASH's, and you are welcome to visit my cage which setup in living room as long as your visiting is on weekday.

Nonetheless, it's your system and your home , final decision is yours.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2017, 10:01 by BadEnglish »
Trying very hard to reproduce the music and sound that creative mixing-artists composed in the studios, at home with limited knowledge and resources.

Offline petetherock

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Sidere Mens Eadem Mutato
    • My Music, Movie and Equipment Musings...
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2017, 10:08 »
I concur..
If you want a proper sonic bubble that gives you that enveloping field, the right speaker position matters.
Either stand mount or wall mount the side surrounds, and at the right height.
12-14AWG is ok. Plenty of choices in SLT or off amazon.

And weekdays are when bros are free, so you may want to consider taking some time off for that to make it happen.. weekdays are typically reserved for the family, cheers.
Please post instead of sending a pm, so more can learn.

My gear:
https://peteswrite.blogspot.sg/2018/03/my-setup-32018.html

Offline DJQ

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • PLINIUS The Heart Of Music
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2017, 15:19 »
i recommend for the Sub to be in front or any left side front/rear corners. you can pull a long 5~6m meter signal cable to the rear then decide which corner will eventually sounds best.
Dynaudio Confidence C1 Signature, Center, Contour SR, DM3/7 IC17x4 Sub300x2 Sub600
Denon AVC-X8500H, Plinius CD-101, Tautoro, SA-103, Sony X800, PS4, Optoma UHD65, Panasonic CX700.
ProJect Q.

Offline keai

« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2017, 22:56 »
Your front pair overhead speakers - u will likely get a better overall sound field if u place it at front height location. Many bros here experienced that too.

The dolby recommendation is just a guide. But not really meant for small rooms I feel.

Bro sevenz, do you mean I shift the two front overhead atmos speakers to the front wall, like your setup in your living room? I read your thread, very helpful, will definitely consider it. The rear overhead speakers remain same position, right?

Offline keai

« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2017, 23:18 »

It seems to me that you are trying to follow Dolby's recommendation for 7.1.4 ( Top ) set up and you have left with a week or two to get your final setup. I believe you had visited a few HT setups and drawn latest layout.

I am not familiar with projector and screen but fairly has knowledge of 7.1.4 ( Top ) setup. I have followed , religiously , to Dolby's recommendation.
So here I go :

3. On stand unless you have small babies or pets running around.
4. Mime are 12 AWG.

Before your finally final drawing, To get better and clear picture, I suggest you visit some of the members' HT setup those who have same configuration like yours. Well, one of them is mime , another one I know is CASH's, and you are welcome to visit my cage which setup in living room as long as your visiting is on weekday.

Nonetheless, it's your system and your home , final decision is yours.

Bro BadEnglish, I didn't have chance to visit any bro's house with atmos setup, for the past two months I was fully occupied by work and ID sourcing, only managed to finalize ID 1 month after I got the key, so very behind schedule and still in the initial stage of reno, many details of reno to be worked out, so almost no time for any visits. However, I did read most of the posts about atmos setup in the forum so roughly get the idea.

Thanks for your kind advice, I also prefer stand so the surround sounds can be more prominent. and will go for either 12AGW cable. LHS should carry them, will go there this Sat to settle the cable.

Offline keai

« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2017, 23:20 »
I concur..
If you want a proper sonic bubble that gives you that enveloping field, the right speaker position matters.
Either stand mount or wall mount the side surrounds, and at the right height.
12-14AWG is ok. Plenty of choices in SLT or off amazon.

And weekdays are when bros are free, so you may want to consider taking some time off for that to make it happen.. weekdays are typically reserved for the family, cheers.

Points noted bro Pete, if wall mount, I can't get the SL/R and SBL/R near ear level, so I probably have to go by stand. Too bad I missed the window of last weekend when you are available, will find a convenient weekend to pay you and bro BadEnglish a visit, :)

Offline keai

« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2017, 23:22 »
i recommend for the Sub to be in front or any left side front/rear corners. you can pull a long 5~6m meter signal cable to the rear then decide which corner will eventually sounds best.

Thanks bro DJQ, Sub position will be decided based on the best effect, nevertheless, your points noted, cable not a issue, can run a long one and hide under carpet, :)

Offline sevenz

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • home theatre lover :D
« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2017, 23:24 »
Bro sevenz, do you mean I shift the two front overhead atmos speakers to the front wall, like your setup in your living room? I read your thread, very helpful, will definitely consider it. The rear overhead speakers remain same position, right?

yes for both.

+1 for bro DJQ suggestion

Offline keai

« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2017, 23:26 »
after consolidating the advices from all bros, i made changes and put up option A and Option B as shown in below pics, changes are highlighted in red. Would like to hear which is a better option I should go after from bros again. Many thanks!

Option A:

Option B:

Offline keai

« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2017, 23:31 »
as my front wall is not flat, so my ID proposed to put up partition to flush the whole wall flat, and cables also easy to hide inside, however, i am not sure whether it will create a source of vibration, but my ID told me it is the same as L-Box, any bros got similar experiences mind to advise?

« Last Edit: July 27, 2017, 23:36 by keai »

Offline kelccm

• Audio Nirvana - Always Work In Progress
« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2017, 23:46 »
as my front wall is not flat, so my ID proposed to put up partition to flush the whole wall flat, and cables also easy to hide inside, however, i am not sure whether it will create a source of vibration, but my ID told me it is the same as L-Box, any bros got similar experiences mind to advise?

You can stuff rockwool inside. That's what I did for my TV feature wall, no issue with vibration.

Offline keai

« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2017, 23:48 »
You can stuff rockwool inside. That's what I did for my TV feature wall, no issue with vibration.
Cool, will get back to my ID, thanks for prompt help bro!

Offline wechnivag

• Trade Count: (+1)
« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2017, 22:28 »
Thanks bro DJQ, Sub position will be decided based on the best effect, nevertheless, your points noted, cable not a issue, can run a long one and hide under carpet, :)
Remember to have power outlets for the subs too at each corner? Are you planning for 2 subs?

Sent from my X9009 using Tapatalk

Offline DJQ

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • PLINIUS The Heart Of Music
« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2017, 23:05 »
Remember to have power outlets for the subs too at each corner? Are you planning for 2 subs?

Sent from my X9009 using Tapatalk

yes should make plans for 2 subs. 7.2.4 ideal. power points too.  :)
Dynaudio Confidence C1 Signature, Center, Contour SR, DM3/7 IC17x4 Sub300x2 Sub600
Denon AVC-X8500H, Plinius CD-101, Tautoro, SA-103, Sony X800, PS4, Optoma UHD65, Panasonic CX700.
ProJect Q.

Offline keai

« Reply #29 on: July 28, 2017, 23:31 »

yes should make plans for 2 subs. 7.2.4 ideal. power points too.  :)

yes, power points in each wall except the wall with 3 way track sliding door....2 subs a bit too powerful for me, :)