Author Topic: Help needed to setup HT room  (Read 13933 times)

Offline keai

• Trade Count: (0)
Help needed to setup HT room
« on: May 07, 2017, 14:34 »
Have my HT setup in my living hall all these while, and finally CFO approved to setup HT in a dedicated room, still left over 2 months before renovation so would like to start gathering some advices/recommendations from bros on how to setup it properly.

The layout and size of the room is attached below. size is about 3.8m (W) x 4.2m (L), have yet measured height but should be around 2.8 - 3.0m, at the moment no false ceiling yet, however, can build one if recommended.

Preference:
1. HT/Music 80%/20%
2. Atmos 7.1.4 setup if possible
3. Screen: 120" and above if possible

Current 5.1 setup:

Speakers:
Main:    Dynaudio Focus 220
Center: Dynaudio Focus 200C
Sub:    Monitor Audio RSW12
Rear:   Monitor Radius 90
Spare:  Dynaudio Focus 110

AVR/AMPs:
AVR:    Marantz 7009
Main:   Emotiva UPA-1
Center/Rear: Emotiva XPA-3
Pre:    Emotiva USP-1

Player: Oppo BDP-93

Projector: Benq W7000

Advices needed:
1. Is Atmos 7.1.4 recommended for such small size room?
2. Should I go for Atmos Enabled speakers or normal speakers with ceiling mount? Any recommended speakers?
3. is 133" screen recommended? It could be difficult to place main speakers.
4. Should I go for false ceiling or leave it blank?
5. How should I run the cables?
6. Any window curtains recommended?
7. Things to take note during renovation?

Any advices/suggestions are welcome! Thanks!
« Last Edit: May 09, 2017, 21:40 by keai »

Offline keai

Re: Help needed to setup HT room
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2017, 09:35 »
no one?
« Last Edit: May 09, 2017, 21:40 by keai »

Offline sigurros

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • "What we think, we become"
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2017, 09:55 »

Offline sevenz

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • home theatre lover :D
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2017, 12:37 »
The layout and size of the room is attached below. size is about 3.8m (W) x 4.2m (L), have yet measured height but should be around 2.8 - 3.0m, at the moment no false ceiling yet, however, can build one if recommended.

Preference:
1. HT/Music 80%/20%
2. Atmos 7.1.4 setup if possible
3. Screen: 120" and above if possible

Current 5.1 setup:

Advices needed:
1. Is Atmos 7.1.4 recommended for such small size room?
2. Should I go for Atmos Enabled speakers or normal speakers with ceiling mount? Any recommended speakers?
3. is 133" screen recommended? It could be difficult to place main speakers.
4. Should I go for false ceiling or leave it blank?
5. How should I run the cables?
6. Any window curtains recommended?
7. Things to take note during renovation?

Any advices/suggestions are welcome! Thanks!

Can't see the pic bro.

For your size, 4 overhead speakers (or 6) will be good. My listening area is about the same as yours though my overall room is bigger.

If u can go mounted for overheads,  suggest u do mounted. Go have a listen to both setups and decide.

But u need not place the overheads like the dolby recommended placements because that might not yield u best effect. The front and rear height positions are excellent for sound field if u only have 4 overheads

See my post here which might help in your placement of overheads - http://www.xtremeplace.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=247061.0

False ceiling - might have vibrations but good for concealment and in ceiling speakers.

Wiring - really depends whether u want to conceal or can expose. For me - wife says must conceal for aesthetics.

If u can, add 1 more identical sub - your bass experience will be at a whole new level =)
« Last Edit: May 09, 2017, 13:40 by sevenz »

Offline keai

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2017, 21:55 »
Can't see the pic bro.

uploaded the pic to imgbb, now should be able to view. sweat....

For your size, 4 overhead speakers (or 6) will be good. My listening area is about the same as yours though my overall room is bigger.

If u can go mounted for overheads,  suggest u do mounted. Go have a listen to both setups and decide.

But u need not place the overheads like the dolby recommended placements because that might not yield u best effect. The front and rear height positions are excellent for sound field if u only have 4 overheads

See my post here which might help in your placement of overheads - http://www.xtremeplace.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=247061.0

False ceiling - might have vibrations but good for concealment and in ceiling speakers.
Wiring - really depends whether u want to conceal or can expose. For me - wife says must conceal for aesthetics.
If u can, add 1 more identical sub - your bass experience will be at a whole new level =)

Very useful tips bro, will take some time to read through your thread, that's valuable experiences! Many thanks!

Offline keai

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2017, 21:58 »
Read all the post in Pete's thread on renovation and furniture, very useful! park the thread link below for future reference!
http://www.xtremeplace.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=64192.msg1076924#msg1076924

Finally managed to find Pete's HT & Hi Fi Den post, have yet started reading.
http://www.xtremeplace.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=114164.msg790535#msg790535

too bad no much time to read for next one week, travelling....  ;D
« Last Edit: May 09, 2017, 22:00 by keai »

Offline ralfale

• Trade Count: (+1)
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2017, 23:03 »
Any tips during construction process to reduce false ceiling vibrations? That might be key to Bros doing renovation. Hard to run away from false ceiling usually especially to conceal overhead speakers now.

Edited: Read Pete's well documented thread. He was using wooden frames for false ceiling to reduce vibrations? Wondering if this has big additional cost than the usual metal frame?
« Last Edit: May 09, 2017, 23:20 by ralfale »

Offline petetherock

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Sidere Mens Eadem Mutato
    • My Music, Movie and Equipment Musings...
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2017, 11:06 »
Ha bros thanks for the compliment - if I am not wrong you all have been here before? Anyway, there are many other systems with far better designs and bass, and these bros will open their homes to you.
But if you wish to talk more, I may be free the following week, for lunch Thursdays to discuss. If you want, bring your plans and ideas and we can talk offline.
Pm me to discuss bro.

I basically followed bro SDDS, who did the ver 1, and then I asked the same contractor to do it for me. Nic, who works with Peng was my sound advisor.
Please post instead of sending a pm, so more can learn.

My gear:
https://peteswrite.blogspot.sg/2018/03/my-setup-32018.html

Offline ralfale

• Trade Count: (+1)
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2017, 11:40 »
Btw was loading the contractor website last night and the link seems to be down.

Offline econav

• Trade Count: (+2)
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2017, 13:32 »
A cheaper way is to use wood frame , but need to be very carefull and monitor the bult process to ensure good seal,but not alot of contractor willing to do it.
There are knetic absorber add on for metal frame to cut down vibration.
We are not second hand dealer , all items we sell as used are tradedin from our customer and we don't rate it condition but for the buyer to decide on it own.
From time to time we may sell off some New but open up used for rental/standby/loan items and to ensure they cant be sold as Brand new , we will dispose off the box.
All used items will not come with cable.
For viewing of used items. text@96387418
all post
http://www.xtremeplace.com/yabbse/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2968

Offline kelccm

• Audio Nirvana - Always Work In Progress
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2017, 09:29 »
For my recent house reno, I got my contractor to pack all the false ceiling and TV feature wall with rockwool. And I had insisted that the contractor use more fasteners to hold the ceiling. So far no issue with any vibration.

Offline keai

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2017, 18:54 »
Ha bros thanks for the compliment - if I am not wrong you all have been here before? Anyway, there are many other systems with far better designs and bass, and these bros will open their homes to you.
But if you wish to talk more, I may be free the following week, for lunch Thursdays to discuss. If you want, bring your plans and ideas and we can talk offline.
Pm me to discuss bro.

I basically followed bro SDDS, who did the ver 1, and then I asked the same contractor to do it for me. Nic, who works with Peng was my sound advisor.

yup, bros here are extremely helpful, :)
Sorry Pete, I'm pretty occupied with work till 6/3, just back from holiday and tied up to a project due by 6/2. Need to talk to IDs/contractors too after work. Will find a better time to consult you, :)

A cheaper way is to use wood frame , but need to be very carefull and monitor the bult process to ensure good seal,but not alot of contractor willing to do it.
There are knetic absorber add on for metal frame to cut down vibration.

Peng has lot of experiences, maybe engage your help when I start my HT room renovation, :)

bro, sounds like a solution. do you usually listen at high volume?
For my recent house reno, I got my contractor to pack all the false ceiling and TV feature wall with rockwool. And I had insisted that the contractor use more fasteners to hold the ceiling. So far no issue with any vibration.

Offline kelccm

• Audio Nirvana - Always Work In Progress
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2017, 10:22 »
bro, sounds like a solution. do you usually listen at high volume?

I do, sometimes.

Offline keai

« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2017, 23:16 »
time to look for help again, have to finalize the setup real soon as cables have to be concealed within 1-2 weeks time, 

This is the plan of the speaker placement, for 7.1.4 setup. Need advice on below:

1. Does the speaker placement make sense?
2. My existing screen is 96", is it worth upgrading to 120", seems the size difference is not significant.
3. For SL/R and SBL/R speakers, which option is better: a) mount to L-Box b) mount to wall and c) use stand. As I plan to have a full height curtain for left wall to cover the 3 way track sliding door, if SL speaker mount to wall, it will be behind the curtain. Use stand will block the way when need to open sliding door. Prefer to mount to L-Box but not sure make sense or not. SBL/R if can mount to L-Box also better (looks neater).
4. Once the speaker positions are fixed, I need to run cables, Peng recommends awg14/16 cables for surround, any good recommendation on brand and where to get?
5. For the 4 ceiling speakers, what is the best way to run the cables, conceal them in the ceiling, leave banana plugs outside in the exact positions, and plug into the speakers when they are installed later?
6. Plan to put projector inside the top cabinet of the wardrobe, so I can have a longer throw distance to project bigger size if needed and avoid the hassle of ceiling mount. Any comments on the disadvantages of this placement?

All suggestions and advices are welcome! Many thanks!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

« Last Edit: July 26, 2017, 23:19 by keai »

Offline sevenz

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • home theatre lover :D
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2017, 08:51 »
Your front pair overhead speakers - u will likely get a better overall sound field if u place it at front height location. Many bros here experienced that too.

The dolby recommendation is just a guide. But not really meant for small rooms I feel.