Author Topic: Audio Note M6 phono - tube rolling suggestions  (Read 1104 times)

Offline Pani

• Trade Count: (0)
Audio Note M6 phono - tube rolling suggestions
« on: April 20, 2017, 12:53 »
Hi,
I use an Audio Note M6 phono with Conquest Silver Signature amplifiers. The combination is lovely. The M6 projects the sound with great body, color and dynamics. One thing it could improve is overall speed and neutrality. Which tubes could I roll in the M6 to make it sound more accurate/neutral and possibly faster ?

Offline jtsamarinda

Re: Audio Note M6 phono - tube rolling suggestions
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2017, 13:37 »
Hi! Pani,

Normally tube are not so what you expect them to be.
Especially the NOS tubes of Telefunken, GE, Mullard etc.
If you want that the closer's tube will be the Russian tube roll.
Unless you go for SS or front stage SUT before the RIAA Eq.
Regards.
Joe.

Offline DIYer Straits

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • 6h30p Über Tube
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2017, 14:38 »
Hi! Pani,

Normally tube are not so what you expect them to be.
Especially the NOS tubes of Telefunken, GE, Mullard etc.
If you want that the closer's tube will be the Russian tube roll.
Unless you go for SS or front stage SUT before the RIAA Eq.
Regards.
Joe.

Agreed. You may also have to change to "faster" coupling caps to remove the usual warm hash and "musicality" that is purposely designed in.

Reduce noise, increase accuracy.
Audere' Est Facere'    COME ON YOU SPURS.......
Aune S1 DAC/Digital streamer.
Technics SL1200Mk2 (Modded) : Magnepan Unitrac : AT 33PTG
Ortofon T30 MC step-up, Custom MM WAD Phono3S Tube Phonostage
Custom 6N6p CCS Preamplifier
Electrocompaniet AW250DMB
Modded Thiel CS2.4/Custom FAST 2-way/Modded ATC SCM-7/Aune P3112
To be updated

Offline malsound

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2017, 16:36 »
Normally I would not recommend  this but in your case,  try some nordost cables.

Offline AndrewC

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2017, 08:14 »
Hi,
I use an Audio Note M6 phono with Conquest Silver Signature amplifiers. The combination is lovely. The M6 projects the sound with great body, color and dynamics. One thing it could improve is overall speed and neutrality. Which tubes could I roll in the M6 to make it sound more accurate/neutral and possibly faster ?

I kinda disagree with some of the other posters  :P

I’ve had a number of tube components over the years (including a pair of Wavac mono-blocks currently), I’ve yet to experience a tube-based audio component that hasn’t benefitted from (genuine!) Telefunken NOS tubes as far as absolute neutrality, transparency and frequency extension (both ends) is concerned.

I’m not familiar with the AN M6, but I did a quick google, it takes a 12AY7 and an ECC82? … In place of the 82, get a genuine NOS Telefunken ECC802S (gold-pins, <> diamond bottom), it’ll knock your socks off terms of it’s transparency and “airiness”. The only down-side is that it’ll set you back a pretty penny, likely anywhere between USD$500-$800 per genuine pair, if you can find them. As an alternative, the Chinese made PSVANE 12AU7s equivalent is pretty special too iMHO, start with that if you don’t want to splurge.

I don’t have any experience with the 12AY7/6072s…

Good luck!  :)
You'll never get to heaven with a smile on your face from me.

Offline jtsamarinda

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2017, 16:44 »
Hi,

Pani could try the Mullards or Tele. Like I mention to you personally before there is no end to this hobby. It's all to do with personal taste. People always talk about speed, neutral etc,etc. To that person. But it's not like that to others. Have to experiment to gain knowledge.  At the end of the day a Mini-Compo will do fine.

Offline Pani

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2017, 17:16 »
I have ordered some NOS tubes (all recommended by Peter Qvortrup). Lets see..
I am also getting a Dave Slagle (Intact Audio) phonostage with his SUT for a trial. It should give a good idea about whats going on in my system.

BTW, some friends suggested I could look at a solid state phono stage as sometimes too many tubes in the system could be too much of a good thing. Wondering if anyone has some suggestions in that direction ?

Offline BTW

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2017, 08:42 »
Bro Pani, If you are looking for speed, prat... try avoid SUT....SUT gives you a lush and relax sound but weak in speed and Prat... using some solid state will give you a faster sound but it will not be as rich sounding as tubes... in your case maybe you can use your tube phono/preamp but instead of SUT consider getting a Solid state Pre-preamp like the Aksa Paris or ZYX CPP-1 ... The Solidstate Pre-preamp in combination with your tube phono... might just give you the combination you are looking for.. All the best
« Last Edit: April 25, 2017, 08:45 by BTW »

Offline Pani

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2017, 10:41 »
Bro BTW, if you listen to a Audio Note UK SUT you will not complain about speed or prat at all. In fact I guess I should be using all Audio Note silver cables too to get that little extra boost in speed and transparency.

Offline BTW

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2017, 13:09 »
I have heard the Kondo SUT many times.... Compared to a JFet Concert Fidelity phono.. The Concert Fidelity still much faster and better prat... Anyway use what works best for you.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2017, 13:15 by BTW »

Offline Pani

« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2017, 18:12 »
Which concert fidelity model did you audition ?

Offline BTW

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2017, 19:05 »
SPA4C phono and the reference hybrid linestage. I quite like the phonostage.

Offline francishuang

« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2017, 19:18 »
I have a sound tradition Mc10 sut with hasimoto hd09 transformer, 29db gain. Pretty fast if u ask me. If u wana loan it for doing trial and error , just drop me a pm. A suggestion on a solid state phono for speed/ prat, Whest.
Shindo is Music

Offline Pani

« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2017, 15:59 »
Thanks francishuang for your generous offer. 29db is way too much gain for my cartridge. If I still feel like experimenting I will contact you