Author Topic: LG OLED C7 Calibration  (Read 19650 times)

Offline ronildoq

• Trade Count: (+2)
Re: LG OLED C7 Calibration
« Reply #90 on: June 13, 2018, 13:57 »
Quote from Article, important notes. Now i understand why magenta is off in my calibration above.
1. Another important development is LG’s partnership with Technicolor. Along with support for Technicolor’s HDR system, which is officially known by the unwieldy name “Advanced HDR by Technicolor,” the LG OLED TVs include a preset picture mode called Technicolor Expert. This mode aims to replicate the performance of a mastering monitor as closely as possible—which includes shifting the white point away from the conventional D65 standard!
Why do that? When the measured coordinates of the white point are equal on different types of displays (such as LCDs, xenon projectors, and OLEDs), they don’t look the same to human eyes. In order to match the perceived appearance of images on these displays, the white point must be offset. For example, in Technicolor Expert mode, the white-point CIE coordinates are 0.300, 0.327 rather than 0.313, 0.327. This is said to remove a magenta cast in WCG (wide color gamut) content if the white point is at the conventional location on the CIE diagram.

Also True as u can see from the calibrated results, red is much lower in HDR
2. Strangely, some people report that some colors are generally undersaturated, especially red. I don’t know why this would be true in SDR if colors with less than 100% saturation measure as accurate. I can see how it might be true in HDR, since the white subpixel is boosted in HDR to increase the brightness, which also desaturates the color. According to Neil Robinson, Senior Director of Strategic Partnerships at LG with deep technical knowledge about the 2018 TVs, the white subpixel is not boosted much below a luminance of about 400 nits, so only high-brightness HDR is desaturated by it. The white subpixel is not boosted at all in SDR, so there should be no undersaturation in that content caused by the white subpixel.

No wonder colours are beautiful on REC2020  HDR, so many, billions of colours
3.Remember that, in 8-bit SDR, there are over 16 million colors, while in 10-bit HDR, there are over 1 billion colors, so there’s a lot of interpolation involved in both cases.

This we are all aware
4.There was some banding in the 0-100% ramp, especially in the low end of the ramp, and lots of banding in the 0-25% ramp. I have yet to see a TV that doesn’t have lots of banding in the 0-25% ramp, so no surprise there.

Good to know
5.Turning to the Spears & Munsil HD Benchmark v.2 Blu-ray, I discovered that a couple of pixels were being cropped from the edges of the screen. It turned out that the pixel-orbiter function—which is designed to combat image retention—was enabled by default. To disable it, you must go into the OLED Panel Settings and turn Screen Shift off, which did the trick.

Motion not as good, juddery same finding
6. Also on this disc are some great motion-sharpness tests—for example, panning over a bunch of rocks. This looked very juddery until I engaged the TV’s TruMotion frame interpolation, which smoothed it out considerably. Of course, this also introduces the dreaded soap-opera effect, making 24 fps content look like video. Slow-moving fine-detail images on this and other test discs all looked excellent.

Reference Scene. Blacks are superb on the OLED !
7. Moving on to UHD Blu-ray, I took a look at Black Panther in Dolby Vision. Again, the opening starfield was wonderful with super-deep blacks. In chapter 2, T’Challa stops a caravan in the jungle at night. Much of this scene is very low APL, and I observed excellent shadow detail with no banding. In all scenes I looked at, the colors were exquisite, detail was stunning, and highlights were very bright.

Offline armoury

• Trade Count: (0)
  • The lunatic is on the grass...
« Reply #91 on: June 27, 2018, 00:20 »
I recently got a 65C8, after my long-serving Pioneer 434 finally kicked the bucket...

This was the banding problem after just a few hours:-

About a week later, after moderate use (anything from 2-4 hrs an evening, and a weekend watching the World Cup, so maybe 20 hrs?):-
[/URL]

Those jail-bars are visible when watching football, especially wide shots of the pitch.  LG's tech is coming on Thursday, but with an afternoon appointment I have to wonder whether they'll be able to see anything during daylight.

Either way, surely this is unacceptable?  I understand and recognise some moderate banding may be inevitable in the "panel lottery", but this??

Sigh... oh for the days of plasma.  Still have my 50" Kuro, now moved to the bedroom in place of the old 434, but now I'm wondering if I should have left it in the living room and simply replaced the 434 directly with a similar-sized LCD (given that the smallest OLED is 55").
There is no dark side of the moon really.  Matter of fact, it's all dark.

Offline ronildoq

« Reply #92 on: June 27, 2018, 19:38 »
Wow, yours look really bad, definitely needs to be changed.... latest model, TOP $$, unacceptable

Offline sevenz

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • home theatre lover :D
« Reply #93 on: June 27, 2018, 21:11 »
I recently got a 65C8, after my long-serving Pioneer 434 finally kicked the bucket...

About a week later, after moderate use (anything from 2-4 hrs an evening, and a weekend watching the World Cup, so maybe 20 hrs?):-
[/URL]

Those jail-bars are visible when watching football, especially wide shots of the pitch.  LG's tech is coming on Thursday, but with an afternoon appointment I have to wonder whether they'll be able to see anything during daylight.

Either way, surely this is unacceptable?  I understand and recognise some moderate banding may be inevitable in the "panel lottery", but this??

Sigh... oh for the days of plasma.  Still have my 50" Kuro, now moved to the bedroom in place of the old 434, but now I'm wondering if I should have left it in the living room and simply replaced the 434 directly with a similar-sized LCD (given that the smallest OLED is 55").

wah this is very bad...

Hope LG will be responsible for this

Offline LTTan

« Reply #94 on: June 28, 2018, 13:34 »
Banding test needs to be performed with lights off?  If so, I think I need to do again on my E6. I thought I'm lucky.

Offline exclusive

• Trade Count: (+1)
« Reply #95 on: June 28, 2018, 13:39 »

[/URL]

how do u test the vertical bending issue?

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

7.2.4 [DENON X7200WA,ANTHEM MCA 3 POWER AMP,KEF LS50 LCR, DEFINITIVE TECHNOLOGY PROMONITOR 1000 AS SURROUND ON SANUS STAND,DEFINITIVE TECHNOLOGY PROMONITOR 800 ATMOS, RYTHMIK F12+F15HP]
LG OLED 55C7
EGREAT A10

Offline sevenz

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • home theatre lover :D
« Reply #96 on: June 28, 2018, 18:17 »
how do u test the vertical bending issue?

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

YouTube has some videos to test this. And u can Google for free test patterns as well.

Offline in1voice

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #97 on: June 28, 2018, 20:53 »

Offline armoury

« Reply #98 on: June 30, 2018, 18:42 »
Banding test needs to be performed with lights off?  If so, I think I need to do again on my E6. I thought I'm lucky.

Basically.  In daylight, a 5% slide looks almost completely black anyway. 

Offline armoury

« Reply #99 on: July 09, 2018, 22:12 »

This is the replacement panel.  So much better, and quite acceptable. 

Offline ronildoq

« Reply #100 on: July 09, 2018, 22:13 »

This is the replacement panel.  So much better, and quite acceptable.

Oh, that’s much much better ! Good job. I think LG is quite decent, their cs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline ronildoq

« Reply #101 on: November 04, 2018, 16:13 »
Some info on C7 Firmware Update

https://www.lg.com/sg/support/support-product/lg-OLED65C7T

* SW information 

1. Improvement 
 1) Improvement regarding Netflix usability have been applied. 
 2) Addition of satellite channels and feature updates in certain countries. (Russia/CIS country) 
 3) IPv6 connection feature on/off can be selected from Network/Wired Connection settings. 
 4) also, minor bugs are fixed. (also minor bugs, also...... what minor bugs? Dunno) hahahaha