Author Topic: The conundrums of calibrating a 4K display playing a HDR content...  (Read 3793 times)

Offline sevenz

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • home theatre lover :D
Likely starting the HDR calibration in the next few weeks.

@ Video enthusiasts / bros who have some experience in calibrating HDR - any advice on HDR calibration and any pitfalls I need to avoid? :)

For software and patterns, I'll be using Chromapure and Ray Masciola's HDR patterns.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2019, 23:53 by sevenz »

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Bring the "Cinema experience" back home...
Likely starting the HDR calibration in the next few weeks.

@ Video enthusiasts / bros who have some experience in calibrating HDR - any advice on HDR calibration and any pitfalls I need to avoid? :)

For software and patterns, I'll be using Chromapure and Ray Masciola's HDR patterns.

This should suffice for now. For HDR calibration on your 4K display if your distance is far and screen size is not too big, the impact will not be significant. The idea for HDR calibration is not so much on the colours since it will be utilising DCI P3 within the BT2020 colorimetry, so definitely will be wiser than normal SDR at Rec 709. What you need is to ensure basic calibration that brings out the best in highlights (Contrast setting) and shadow details (Brightness levels) are properly preserved. Be wary of blooming and black floors and knowing what your display luminance is capable of.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline sevenz

Thanks for the advice Desray! 

Offline kaydee6

• Trade Count: (0)
Have been trying to calibrate the PJ for HDR10 with 100% DCI-P3 with HDR10 patterns. Achieved good black and white clipping test results but was not happy with the image that looks flat, dim and wash out. Eventually set back to default and raise gamma +1.
I am happy with the image now.

4k HDR10 DCI-P3

However 1080p is no slouch,

1080p rec.709

« Last Edit: March 31, 2019, 22:07 by kaydee6 »

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
  • Bring the "Cinema experience" back home...
@Kaydee6 - what 4K projector are you using? JVC? Model?

Offline kaydee6

@Kaydee6 - what 4K projector are you using? JVC? Model?

I am using the Epson TW8300W.

Offline kaydee6

Further adjustments by eyeballing and I think this is a good colour and brightness with the DCI-P3 filter in place.
After watching a few more 4K HDR movies, I now appreciate the more cinematic feel of a movie. It's time to start collecting 4K HDR movies.

4K HDR10 on the Epson TW8300W, 100" Cyrus screen

Offline ginamos

• I'm a llama!
hi, may i know what is the brand of the hdmi cable you are using for Epson TW8300W and how long?

Offline sevenz

Further adjustments by eyeballing and I think this is a good colour and brightness with the DCI-P3 filter in place.
After watching a few more 4K HDR movies, I now appreciate the more cinematic feel of a movie. It's time to start collecting 4K HDR movies.

PQ looks beautiful....

Offline kaydee6

hi, may i know what is the brand of the hdmi cable you are using for Epson TW8300W and how long?

No cable but using wireless HDMI module that comes with the projector.
Just a 2M high quality Chinese-made 4k certified hdmi cable from the player to the wireless module. The projector has no cable connected to it other than the power cord.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2019, 17:31 by kaydee6 »

Offline alf

• Let your experience define your choice "View It"
    • www.entheos.com.sg

Nicely done on the colour setting adjustment . The screen tone suits your application .
Cyrus Cine-Projection Screens will unleash the Visual Experince of your " Home Theatre"
      Optical Tech / Metal Fabricator NTC/ ( ISF Trained Dealer)
JVC projectors UHD  /Sony projector 4k .Optima UHD /Benq UHD .Cyrus cine projection , OPTI White , Phantom Grey and Black Mambo II for different ambient application screen. JKP 709 calibration disc / UHD HDR ~10 calibaration disc

Offline ginamos

• I'm a llama!
No cable but using wireless HDMI module that comes with the projector.
Just a 2M high quality Chinese-made 4k certified hdmi cable from the player to the wireless module. The projector has no cable connected to it other than the power cord.

oops.  i think when projecting wirelessly, it cannot support 4kx2k 60hz.

Offline rock123

• Trade Count: (-1)

Gorgeous picture ! Your tuning is superb bro :)
Pure 100% Home Theatre Lover @7.2.4
1996 Sunfire Cinema Grand l Flagship Onkyo RZ-3100 11.2 THX® Select2™
Klipsch KLF-30 Legend Towers KLF-C7 Tractrix® Horn
Sub 1: Rythmik FV18 @900WRMS(Nearfield)
Sub 2: SVS PB12-Plus/2 @900WRMS down-firing dual 12.3" three 4" Ports

Offline kaydee6

oops.  i think when projecting wirelessly, it cannot support 4kx2k 60hz.

Yes wireless support up 4K 30hz, for gaming best to use cable.
For gaming in 4k60 HDR, the new TW8400W would be ideal with its hdmi bandwidth of 18G.

Offline DJQ

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • PLINIUS The Heart Of Music
nice bro. really hold still  ;D
ProJect Q.