Author Topic: Chord (DAVE, Blu2, Hugo2, Mojo, Poly) - Discussion Thread  (Read 46973 times)

Offline InnocentBlood

• Trade Count: (+4)
Re: Chord (DAVE, Blu2, Hugo2, Mojo, Poly) - Discussion Thread
« Reply #270 on: April 11, 2019, 13:09 »
And did it work for you? GoFigure (on iOS) crashes the minute I click the firmware upgrade button...  ::). I stopped using Poly for a long time because of it's finicky behaviour, and GoFigure is not much better. They're probably Chord's worst products.

Mojo travels with me solo, wired  :)

yes I managed to update the firmware on Tuesday after seeing the Facebook post. the update process will test your patience - as with all things related to Poly. I managed to stumble my way through before I updated successfully. the iOS app did crash on me as well and I found that unplugging the Poly from a power source and then initiating the update via the iOS app worked.

Roon connectivity at home is much better now - it is almost flawless and during a 2hr listening period, I "only" experienced 2 dropouts. this was probably the longest listening I've managed on Roon with the Poly.

today I took the Poly outside of my home. while commuting on the NEL, listening to offline Tidal content via Airplay was smooth - no dropouts or any other strange behaviour. previously I experienced audio speeding up, dropouts and all sorts of funny behaviour but not this morning.

currently, as I write this in the office, I am listening to Snarky Puppy's new album "Immigrance" on offline Tidal via Airplay and it sounds lovely :)
Sex N' Violence

Undesirable Publications

Blu Ray Discs for sale from $10 & DVDs @ $5 - contact 94595907, thank you

Offline Doggie Howser

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #271 on: April 11, 2019, 14:21 »
And did it work for you? GoFigure (on iOS) crashes the minute I click the firmware upgrade button...  ::). I stopped using Poly for a long time because of it's finicky behaviour, and GoFigure is not much better. They're probably Chord's worst products.

Mojo travels with me solo, wired  :)

https://chordelectronics.co.uk/faqs-products/poly/

Step 4

Open the Gofigure App. Go to Settings> Device Settings, you should now have the option to update the firmware. Tap update firmware. Gofigure will quit once it has sent the command to update to Poly as indicated by the pop-up. This is not a crash, so do not restart Gofigure immediately to try to update again.

Step 5

Poly’s ‘P status’ light will cycle through a range of colours, showing the update has commenced and is downloading.

End of Line - Derezzed

Offline Doggie Howser

« Reply #272 on: April 11, 2019, 14:36 »
The problem is - when you have power plugged in, the Poly LED always shows white. No color cycle on the unit unless I disconnect the power.
End of Line - Derezzed

Offline AndrewC

« Reply #273 on: April 12, 2019, 06:59 »
https://chordelectronics.co.uk/faqs-products/poly/

Step 4

Open the Gofigure App. Go to Settings> Device Settings, you should now have the option to update the firmware. Tap update firmware. Gofigure will quit once it has sent the command to update to Poly as indicated by the pop-up. This is not a crash, so do not restart Gofigure immediately to try to update again.

Step 5

Poly’s ‘P status’ light will cycle through a range of colours, showing the update has commenced and is downloading.

Fcuk me... I should have RTFF (Read the Fcuking FAQ ;D)... pretty dumb way for the software to work (even if it merely initiated the Mojo to directly pull down the firmware). Chord’s documentation really sucks, they need to invest in better Writers. ::)
You'll never get to heaven with a smile on your face from me.

Offline Doggie Howser

« Reply #274 on: April 12, 2019, 07:26 »
Not only that. After I read the FAQ, I went to headfi forums and was told the server is down.

Apparently too many people are initiating the 2.0 upgrade over and over.

So they will wait to restore 2.0 later when the demand has died down.

I guess after 2.0, future updates won’t be so problematic.

I don’t understand why they couldn’t do a good old USB update.

Ps Andrew how is the Dcs Network bridge as an interface to the DAVE? Does the Blu2/MScaler accept dual BNC?
End of Line - Derezzed

Offline AndrewC

« Reply #275 on: April 13, 2019, 06:50 »
I don’t understand why they couldn’t do a good old USB update.

Ps Andrew how is the Dcs Network bridge as an interface to the DAVE? Does the Blu2/MScaler accept dual BNC?

I think Chord tried to be "too smart" with Poly's original firmware update mechanism, they probably imagined an "auto-update" was a good idea (probably envisioned themselves as an Apple or Google with App auto update  :P)

The dCS Network Bride is absolutely brilliant sounding with Dave... I haven't tried the M Scaler at home, but I imagine it's (Dual) AES3id ports work the same as Dave's in it's compatibility with dCS. So, you'd connect... 'Net (Ethernet) --> dCS NB [Dual AES to Dual BNC via Neutric Adapters] --> M Scaler [Dual BNCs] --> Dave.

A couple of caveats though;
- The dCS NB doesn't currently support PCM above 32/384kS/s, so no DSD256 support etc.
- The dCS NB only does MQA Core decode, no MQA Rendering (which typically has to be done by the DAC, which Dave doesn't support of course)
- The dCS NB sounds best when dual-clocked externally (as opposed to just it's own internal master clock) 
- There's a compatibility issue between dCS and Chord w.r.t Dual AES support; For Redbook streams, the dCS NB automatically reverts to non-dual AES mode (since you really don't need 2 x 192KS/s for Redbook streams), but Chord doesn't seem to like non Dual AES streams on it's Dual BNC ports, so what ends up happening is that Redbook streams are somehow mono'ed by Dave! I imagine the same problem exists with M Scaler. The fix is easy enough on my system, I added an SPDIF-to-AES/EBU connection between the two, and for Redbook streams I switch Dave's input to AES (instead of Dual BNC).

I know, it seems like a lot of hoops to jump through for just Ethernet stream/Roon connectivity into Dave... there's probably a dozen other non-dCS ways to do it, but I doubt any would sound as good  ;)

Offline Doggie Howser

« Reply #276 on: April 13, 2019, 08:29 »
Apparently after v2.0, you no longer need to worry about these interface-less OTA updates.

The Chord update server came online at 12am here last night... and i finally updated it overnight.

this morning it reported v2.00

Thanks for the update on the dcs Network Bridge. The biggest problem I had with the DAVE/HugoTT2 was the lack of a streamer from Chord but the dcs NB seemed to be a perfect fit.

Was just curious if they would play nicely with an MScaler in between.

I guess the other option was to use something like a Lumin U1/U1Mini over USB to achieve DSD256 but I am not convinced that is the best interface anymore
End of Line - Derezzed

Offline AndrewC

« Reply #277 on: April 14, 2019, 10:39 »
Jeez, Poly is fcuking frustrating >:(... Out of nowhere the damn BlueTooth on Poly stopped working, so GoFigure can't connect to it, and I can't update the firmware... Letting it's battery drain down in the hope that BT starts working again after. ::)

Offline InnocentBlood

« Reply #278 on: May 24, 2019, 11:21 »
there's a new firmware for the Poly out 2 days ago. this is supposed to improve wifi performance. if you have updated your GoFigure app to the latest version, then you will be able to update the firmware at the touch of a button, via the GoFigure app.

my personal experience with this latest update is that it seems to play better with Roon - lesser dropouts and I am able to stream a complete album (45mins or more) smoothly with no audio dropouts both from my local collection and Tidal.

i am still amazed that it took Chord 2 years to get to this stage but now that we are here, the Poly seems to be getting better and better.

I think owners of the Hugo 2 are in for a treat should the 2Go every materialise, based on what Chord have learned with this whole Poly fiasco.
Sex N' Violence

Undesirable Publications

Offline Doggie Howser

« Reply #279 on: May 25, 2019, 13:11 »
I would love a Hugo2 compatible streamer with wired Ethernet
End of Line - Derezzed

Offline AndrewC

« Reply #280 on: June 07, 2019, 11:46 »
I would love a Hugo2 compatible streamer with wired Ethernet

If you're OK with USB, then there're plenty of options of course (including the Poly itself if you're OK with WiFi, it's actually compatible with the Hugo2, not just the Mojo). But if you're keen on using dual AES (via the two RCA ports), then there are very few options out there (the dCS NB being the prime... can't think of any others actually! :P).

Offline Doggie Howser

« Reply #281 on: June 07, 2019, 12:04 »
Does it work with Hugo2!??
End of Line - Derezzed

Offline AndrewC

« Reply #282 on: June 07, 2019, 12:19 »
Does it work with Hugo2!??

Poly? It should... Other than power trigger, there's no "integration" between Mojo and Poly actually. I haven't tried it, but Poly should work with any USB DAC (as long as the Poly's power can be triggered to switch on).

Offline wusplay

« Reply #283 on: June 15, 2019, 19:00 »
Trying out mojo...can't figure out how to use poly yet, now using USB cable instead.

Offline InnocentBlood

« Reply #284 on: June 15, 2019, 20:12 »
Trying out mojo...can't figure out how to use poly yet, now using USB cable instead.

You would need to download and install the GoFigure app on your mobile device first. Then you would need to update the firmware of your Poly. Depending on the current version of the firmware that is already installed on your Poly, updating to the latest version - 2.0.3 - can be quite complicated. If you bought this from a store in SG, perhaps they can help you install the firmware. If you want to do it yourself, the Chord website has instructions to walk you through the steps. Chord’s customer support is also very helpful in this matter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sex N' Violence

Undesirable Publications