Author Topic: Tactile Transducers  (Read 15400 times)

Offline ronildoq

• Trade Count: (+2)
Re: Tactile Transducers
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2017, 21:34 »
OMG! The Crowson Actuators are absolutely SYOK! I now possess the Rythmik Room pressure combo port air with layered bass combo clean KK height Midbass with superb tactile sensation. Energy transmission through sofa to hand, body, legs. Sweeping bass still present! The crowsons are unbelievable. D-Box is not even close. I cant feel the actuators under my seat, not localised. Combined with atmos tracks, it is just so good. I dont think i have experienced anything like that, it is so hard to describe. The crowsons are in a different league.

Im not sure if it is done correctly but am hell as sure it brought another the entire system up to the next level. Next test........

Hulk
Lone survivor
Transformers
Jurassic Park T Rex

Then fine tune intensity and volume again.......Luckily i have the oppo 203 for the clean signal.

Guys, this is an absolute must have! No Joke! its not gimmicky, its the real deal! Its not like fun fair ride. its actual Tactile Sensation

Offline ronildoq

« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2017, 21:47 »
Jag, a big thank you to you for introducing me to this! Again! This confirms and ties in with all the recommendation by the pros. You wont go wrong with this. Absolute nirvana. Im re-watching a lot of familiar scenes and there are some more details that were not present previously.

This will bring in a big  ;D ;D

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Bring the "Cinema experience" back home...
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2017, 22:11 »
Glad you enjoying it...enjoy!

Offline Jag

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2017, 22:17 »
I'm glad that my recommendations on your upgrade path gave you great satisfaction.

Again, HT bass needs ported servo subwoofer for deep clean bass, multiple subs for smooth and low distortion bass, antimode for house curve, tactile transducers for bass to feel, proper MLP/subwoofer placement for smooth response.
Electronics : Denon 7200, MiniDSP Dirac 88A, Emotiva XPA-5 Gen2
ATMOS Audio : Martin Logan Ethos (L&R), ML Motif X(C), ML Motion 4 (14pcs surround spkrs)
LFE : Dual Rythmik FV25HP & Crowson Motion Actuator
Video : Sony VPL-HW55ES, Stewart Screen Studiotek 1.3
Source : HTPC
Fully automated HT via Alexa, Z-wave and Logitech Harmony Remote Control

Offline sevenz

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • home theatre lover :D
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2017, 22:23 »
I'm glad that my recommendations on your upgrade path gave you great satisfaction.

Again, HT bass needs ported servo subwoofer for deep clean bass, multiple subs for smooth and low distortion bass, antimode for house curve, tactile transducers for bass to feel, proper MLP/subwoofer placement for smooth response.....

And.... a good patient sifu like u =)

I've also learnt a lot from u, thanks for all the selfless sharing bro

Offline Jag

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2017, 22:25 »
I brought in 2 sets of Crowson Tech Motion Actuators for Ronildoq and myself. I went with the Crowson because I used the Auro bass shaker pros previously and it just didn't feel right.

Despite my lack of enthusiasm for the bass shaker, I still felt a TT is essential for good HT experience.

In short, the CTMA package is made up of 2 actuators and the latest CT amplifier with remote control. It's looks very solidly built. I went with the CTMA over the MBM because of the significantly higher WAF compared to an ugly box stuck behind my recliner.

Can't wait to try out the bass impressive movies (Lone survivor, oblivion, WOTW) once I have mine setup.
Electronics : Denon 7200, MiniDSP Dirac 88A, Emotiva XPA-5 Gen2
ATMOS Audio : Martin Logan Ethos (L&R), ML Motif X(C), ML Motion 4 (14pcs surround spkrs)
LFE : Dual Rythmik FV25HP & Crowson Motion Actuator
Video : Sony VPL-HW55ES, Stewart Screen Studiotek 1.3
Source : HTPC
Fully automated HT via Alexa, Z-wave and Logitech Harmony Remote Control

Offline ronildoq

« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2017, 22:32 »
Jag, honestly, u will absolutely love it. It is that good! My kids are all asking me , papa can i sit at your chair? I just smiled. Kungfu Panda on now. Tiger roars at ultra low is different sensation.

I have the oppo set at 80, trims 0 and nothing much to tweak on delays. Delayed the sub channel by 2ms setting the speakers all to small and 10.25 ft and sub to 0ft. seems to blend in well. Intensity on Crowsons 19. Still need further fine tuning.

This stuff is not for sale, u buy it, own it and keep it for years, thats all i can say.... no complain from wife, all hidden. hehe

SYOK ahhhhhhhhhhhhh
« Last Edit: March 24, 2017, 20:23 by ronildoq »

Offline ronildoq

« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2017, 22:49 »
Glad you enjoying it...enjoy!

Yes it is just so good. Now i would have to find a find for JB on the Oppo 203.  :o

Offline ronildoq

« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2017, 13:54 »
Ok, i guess integration is good. Quote from the Mrs when watching gravity scene yesterday. Exact words
"Its actually scary, feels as if you are about to die anytime soon" during the pod disintegration scenes when crashing down to earth.

So far on my experiment, and how i had them set up. 3 key areas that needs to be addressed:

1) structure under your chair and how u mount the actuators makes a difference. Since the actuators are magnets, and my chair has metal bars, it will be hard for the actuators to perform since metal and magnet attracts each other and this brings down performance . If you want ultimate tactile sensation, plywood under sofa and actuator below that plywood is important. Carpet under the actuators also takes away the energy upward to the body and tactile sensation. Best is on the floor, so that is covered since my flooring is laminated timber. You want a leather sofa as well since that improves the tactile sensation further. Had that all covered so I'm good.

2) Setting delays. This is what makes or breaks the entire system. However, it is quite simple and straight forward when you have the Oppo 203. To use the bass management in oppo, set all speakers to small. i had the settings turned on for audio out to PCM, 7.1 channel. The analog out from the oppo 203 sub channel is active. Had the low pass on oppo set to 50hz. Vol/trim on all speakers set to 0. Make sure it is 0 as this may possibly cause distortion to the signal going into the sub channel since the bass mgt is active and all bass information from the 7 channels below 50hz is routing to the sub channel. All i had to do was see what audyssey calculated the distance on the main speaker. Say example 10feet. i then delay this on the sub channel on Oppo by the same amount. so my speakers distances for all 7 channels were set to 10 feet and sub channel 0 tricking oppo into thinking that the subs are near and need to apply the delays accordingly. I didnt go with exact audy measurement as i had done a distance tweak on the subs for integration with the mains.  Filter Characteristic set to super slow, this i suspect is the roll off 6db octave vs the sharp roll of 24db oct. Maybe i should experiment with 60hz high pass. Set to Cinema Mode. Dynamic Range control off. Output volume variable and increased from 80-90. Next i had to reduce the volume on the subs and play bass scenes i'm familiar with. Increased the intensity on the D501 amp to 29 (max 32) to make sure what i am seeing on screen matches the tactile im feeling together with the bass from the subs. Spot on! So the delay is taken care off. This now leaves me with tweaking tactile preference, i think 20-22 feels about right. requires more time to find the best!

3)Un-EQ'ed signal. It is important to make sure that the signal going in to the amp has no eq applied, be it Dirac or Audy or Antimode. Bottom line, no boost or cuts to the signal. Again the oppo is a good choice since there is no eq from the analog sub output from the oppo to the amp.

My only challenge now is how to boost the vol for freq response from 1-10hz on the crowsons, ideally between 3-5 db. I know the Rythmiks are pressurizing the room from 10-30hz with a rising house curve, then it rolls off. What i want to achieve is for the actuators to pump in that additional 3-5db at 1-10hz with a low freq rising house curve. Then i think that will be about right for the ultra lows. One way to achieve this is by using the minidsp x4. But again... lazy to integrate and gotta buy those stuff.

Conclusion is SYOK! These actuators are like Lamborghini. They are so fast. The rumble stops when its supposed to stop. Not vibrate your whole body endlessly. The feel is exactly like sub energy pressurizing the room. The only difference is you dont have to crank up to crazy vols to achieve this. This is very good for those who have placement issues and cant bring out the ultra lows. No turning back, wife friendly but not wallet friendly. But you buy once, configure, enjoy, relax and continue to enjoy and these stuff last for years. I may get another 2 more actuators for the other 2 seats. Everyone at home is fighting over the MLP now.....

Conclusion, A MUST HAVE for the bass crazy lovers!

Offline Doggie Howser

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2017, 17:18 »
OK OK I will go dig my old set out :P
End of Line - Derezzed

Offline ronildoq

« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2017, 17:50 »
Doggie, would love to have your feedback and how u hook these up! Go go go, get it out from the storeroom

Online wizardofoz

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • Dont take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive
« Reply #26 on: March 24, 2017, 18:40 »
Just daisy chain the signal from your sub outputs/passthru if you have, that's the best way as then the level is also adjusted with the output of the avr levels

It's quite funny to watch people's faces when they experience for the first time.

If you have enough units (I used 2 per double seat) put one under the bottom and the other in the middle of the back, then you get up punched and rear punched too  :o

I have a pile of stuff that pushes out squiggly waveforms from smaller squiggly waveforms that sometimes come from 1's and 0's.
It's wonderful to behold as long as you don't let the magic smoke out.

Life is short! Enjoy the music while it plays, when it stops, there might be a chair for you...or  maybe not.

Offline sevenz

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • home theatre lover :D
« Reply #27 on: March 24, 2017, 22:57 »
wah lau, this is a SUPER poisonous thread. Cannot read it anymore. MODs pls delete it hahaha  ;D ;D

Offline ronildoq

« Reply #28 on: March 24, 2017, 23:19 »
Wait for jag to hook his up with comments, this crowsons boh beh zhao! Guarantee u will get one after experiencing it.....the tactile sensation is exactly like real subs but better because it goes down to the single digit.....it doesn't give u that one note bass vibration...

Bro wheyeme just picked up his umik-1 and enjoyed some nice scenes... hehehe

Offline Doggie Howser

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #29 on: March 25, 2017, 09:17 »
Brought it in to work. Some scratches on the non slip surface of the TES-100 and the power button on the S300 amp is stuck but the auto function still works. Just gotta figure out where the remote is :P

Tested with some LFE from an AVR with some music - seems to be working fine with the LFE and stereo inputs
End of Line - Derezzed