Author Topic: Tactile Transducers  (Read 15283 times)

Offline Jag

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
Tactile Transducers
« on: March 21, 2017, 19:47 »
Has anyone compared various tactile transducers available in the market?

What sort of TTs are you using, considering using; and is it worth the effort to implement them?
Electronics : Denon 7200, MiniDSP Dirac 88A, Emotiva XPA-5 Gen2
ATMOS Audio : Martin Logan Ethos (L&R), ML Motif X(C), ML Motion 4 (14pcs surround spkrs)
LFE : Dual Rythmik FV25HP & Crowson Motion Actuator
Video : Sony VPL-HW55ES, Stewart Screen Studiotek 1.3
Source : HTPC
Fully automated HT via Alexa, Z-wave and Logitech Harmony Remote Control

Offline sdds

• Trade Count: (+3)
Re: Tactile Transducers
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2017, 20:58 »
I have try butt kicker before . Didn't like it as there too much instant feel become very artificial as compare the feel from subs .

Offline Doggie Howser

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2017, 09:54 »
I own the Crowson ones with the matching amp/filter.

To be honest, I didn't use it after I got the JL f113 and stuck that behind my sofa :D
End of Line - Derezzed

Offline wechnivag

• Trade Count: (+1)
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2017, 10:20 »
When I experienced the TT in Desray's setup, it was very natural and complimentary to the LFE content. Very nice, powerful feeling rumbles and shakes. Apparently you need to run a low pass to the TT below 50hz, otherwise it becomes too distracting with the higher frequency content.

That's what I'm finding with a near field MBM behind the couch, since the MBM is run up to 100hz, it becomes quite distracting in vibrating the couch, especially with music.

Sent from my X9009 using Tapatalk

Offline sevenz

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • home theatre lover :D
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2017, 10:35 »
I own the Crowson ones with the matching amp/filter.

To be honest, I didn't use it after I got the JL f113 and stuck that behind my sofa :D

oh you are using the crowson TTs!?  :o can you help share what was the difference u experienced in the low rumble tactile between the nearfield F113 and the TT? How different/ similar was it?  :)

Offline ahduck

• Trade Count: (+3)
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2017, 10:44 »
Should we mount the TT behind or below the sofa?
I think ladies will find it more distracting than guys.
HT: Sony 55X93D | Denon AVR-X6200W | Anthony Gallo Strada 2 | A'Diva SE | SVS SB-2000 | Oppo UDP-203 |

PC: Teac AI-301DA | Mirage Nano Sat | Ken Kreisel DXD-808 |

Offline Doggie Howser

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2017, 10:59 »
oh you are using the crowson TTs!?  :o can you help share what was the difference u experienced in the low rumble tactile between the nearfield F113 and the TT? How different/ similar was it?  :)

I got the Crowson when I was visiting US and got them to ship me a 240V version of the amp.

The best experience I had was with a scene where a train moved from the right to the left - and the sofa literally shook in the same direction. The Crowson had inputs from 3 line level signals - left, right and sub and with the right filter in place, it worked a real treat.

End of Line - Derezzed

Offline sevenz

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2017, 11:22 »
I got the Crowson when I was visiting US and got them to ship me a 240V version of the amp.

The best experience I had was with a scene where a train moved from the right to the left - and the sofa literally shook in the same direction. The Crowson had inputs from 3 line level signals - left, right and sub and with the right filter in place, it worked a real treat.

Sounds awesome =)

U mentioned after u placed the f113 near field,  u did away with the TT. Was it because a powerful near field sub could produce the majority of the effect that the TT does?

Considering to buy one too. But only if the TT can produce much more than a 15 inch sub placed near field.

My near field 15" is giving me quite good rumble tactile
« Last Edit: March 22, 2017, 11:24 by sevenz »

Offline ronildoq

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2017, 12:33 »

Sounds Awesome!! Thats very interesting, moving right to left. Ive just got in the Motion 8 Crowson Actuators, will be setting this up soon this weekend.

How did you mount them ? At the back of the seat? Did you use any plywood below your MLP? Did you run them from the AVRs preout or?

Offline Doggie Howser

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2017, 12:53 »
Sounds Awesome!! Thats very interesting, moving right to left. Ive just got in the Motion 8 Crowson Actuators, will be setting this up soon this weekend.

How did you mount them ? At the back of the seat? Did you use any plywood below your MLP? Did you run them from the AVRs preout or?

Yeah it was a really neat effect but I only noticed it once :)

I got the kit with 2 rubber feet for the front 2 feet and 2 Crowson transducers in the back
End of Line - Derezzed

Offline Doggie Howser

« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2017, 13:06 »
Sounds awesome =)

U mentioned after u placed the f113 near field,  u did away with the TT. Was it because a powerful near field sub could produce the majority of the effect that the TT does?

Considering to buy one too. But only if the TT can produce much more than a 15 inch sub placed near field.

My near field 15" is giving me quite good rumble tactile

The JL does a pretty good job of tactile effect behind my sofa so I didn't feel the need to hook it up in the new place.

I kept the Crowson mainly cos I was planning to use it with the Smyth Realiser at some point. Didn't happen then though.
End of Line - Derezzed

Offline sevenz

« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2017, 19:28 »
The JL does a pretty good job of tactile effect behind my sofa so I didn't feel the need to hook it up in the new place.

I kept the Crowson mainly cos I was planning to use it with the Smyth Realiser at some point. Didn't happen then though.

Muz go au visit u one day hahaha ;D

Offline whitesox

« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2017, 20:36 »

Muz go au visit u one day hahaha ;D

Yeah... I also want ler...heehee
Visit my bass sifu ... 2 weeks later OK
 ;D

Offline Jag

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2017, 21:44 »
Any other folks compared the Crowson vs other TTs? I hear a lot positive feedback on the crowson...... is it really good?
Electronics : Denon 7200, MiniDSP Dirac 88A, Emotiva XPA-5 Gen2
ATMOS Audio : Martin Logan Ethos (L&R), ML Motif X(C), ML Motion 4 (14pcs surround spkrs)
LFE : Dual Rythmik FV25HP & Crowson Motion Actuator
Video : Sony VPL-HW55ES, Stewart Screen Studiotek 1.3
Source : HTPC
Fully automated HT via Alexa, Z-wave and Logitech Harmony Remote Control

Offline ronildoq

« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2017, 00:33 »
All excited with the Crowsons in. Just did some minor DIY stuff on the recliner.

Hook up as follows:

2 Shadow 8 Actuators on back of recliner
The D-501 Tactile Motion Amplifier 500w RMS
Speaker cables 14AWG from monoprice 9m x 2
Mogami 2497 with Canare RCAP RCA preout from Oppo 203 Subwoofer analog out to D501
Audiophile Power cable from Shenzhen

Here is the original pic of the recliner before any DIY

Actuator (has got magnet, so it attaches to the metal at the bottom of the recliner) with 2 motion isolator made of rubber

D501 Amp with Low Pass Filter 24db oct, intensity adj, Phase adj, Music/Movie mode

Here is how i mount them, since the recliner is like 4 square rods, I believe it will not benefit from placing the crowsons directly under. So i had a plywood 60mm thick, cut exactly to fit under the recliner. Bought some screws from hardware shop, mounted the motion isolators and made sure the plywood is firm. (since im expecting some vibration). This now allows the crowsons to transfer tactile energy to the recliner and at the same time, since my flooring is laminated timber, it will also give me that tactile sensation at the feet area. speaker cables are tucked underneath the carpet in front. Jag, do you reckon this will impact my neighbour below? The crowsons have some sort of rubber feet isolation thingy.

Getting late, cant do any testing today. Will test out tomorrow after i dial in the crowsons. 50hz low pass and using Gravity & Man of Steel Atmos tracks.
Nothing to EQ since oppo 203 will be sending a clean LFE signal unaltered to the D501. No house curve applied.

This is my first experience with crowsons. So i really have no idea how it should feel and what to expect. May need sifu Jag's help!!