Author Topic: Dipole Speaker options  (Read 1784 times)

Offline rayleh

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Dipole Speaker options
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2019, 18:06 »
I remember Clarence from KEC told me that surround speakers should not be too directional when they are too near to the listening positions. The person sitting next to the MLP will be too close to the surround speakers and won’t be enjoying the movie.

Offline ronildoq

• Trade Count: (+2)
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2019, 09:02 »
I would avoid dipole, bipolar or Tripole for use in surrounds or Atmos, my experience is they mess up the imaging and soundstage , will require a lot of control and work to get it right

Read the guide on Dolby, at the footnote advising the use against dipole speakers

Don’t get me wrong, I’m a MA fan, but MA surrounds just doesn’t work for me

Try to go with actual diffusors instead for the soundstage, far more pleasing to the ears

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline ronildoq

« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2019, 09:04 »
Remember there is already 1001 reflections to control in the room, plus if you go full 9.4.6, it’s very difficult to get it right. EQ alone won’t solve everything

The dipole tweeters firing left right all over causes phase cancellation, trust me , u don’t want to go there in a dedicated room

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Jag

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2019, 09:09 »
Dipole speaker’s in this era..... wow, it’s like going back 20yrs to pro-logic days.

Maybe there’s a real use for it in today’s HT.......a revival in the works perhaps?!?!
Electronics : Denon 7200, MiniDSP Dirac 88A, Emotiva XPA-5 Gen2
ATMOS Audio : Martin Logan Ethos (L&R), ML Motif X(C), ML Motion 4 (14pcs surround spkrs)
LFE : Dual Rythmik FV25HP & Crowson Motion Actuator
Video : Sony VPL-HW55ES, Stewart Screen Studiotek 1.3
Source : HTPC
Fully automated HT via Alexa, Z-wave and Logitech Harmony Remote Control

Offline ralfale

• Trade Count: (+1)
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2019, 09:31 »
In this era of 10,000 (overhead, underneath, all around you) speakers as we move away from conventional 5.1 setup, direct firing will be more recommended and easier to manage as pointed out above.