Author Topic: Dipole Speaker options  (Read 1785 times)

Offline Hillviewer

• Trade Count: (+1)
Dipole Speaker options
« on: March 15, 2017, 00:22 »
After listening to silver FX at Pete's home, I read up on dipole. Dipole creates a diffused sound and several articles recommend dipole as opposed to monopole if the listening position is close and for > 1 listener. Most of my movie watching 4 pax or more. The surround speakers are about 1m from the either side of 3 seater sofas.

I cannot wall mount because there is no wall. One side being the patio bi-fold door and the other side being the dinning and open kitchen. So I will put these on stands.

Found a few dipole speakers from the brands that I recalled that can be bought in SG.

http://international.kef.com/r800ds
http://international.kef.com/q800ds
https://www.paradigm.com/products-current/type=surround/model=prestige-25s/page=specs
http://

Of course there is the Monitor Gold FX that perhaps I should look at.

Any other options I should explore?

Offline wechnivag

Re: Dipole Speaker options
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2017, 10:43 »
When I researched this issue, I came across data that showed bipole surrounds are better dipole.

With bipole, both sides are in phase, so you basically get a very wide and even dispersion output, which is a desirable trait in a surround speaker.

Dipole the 2 sides are out of phase, so you get output to the left and right of the speaker , but a null in the middle directly facing the speaker. It reduces localisation for people sitting very close to the speaker, but it is by no means ideal, especially for multichannel music.

Sent from my X9009 using Tapatalk

Offline whitesox

• Trade Count: (+2)
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2017, 11:34 »
Read this;

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=66471

I think this kind of speaker is for larger room (may not suitable for HDB, smaller room)

Offline Hillviewer

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2017, 12:14 »
Some dipole speakers are also make to reduce null in middle from a certain distance. Some speakers also able to toggle between dipole and bipole mode. Some even has all 3 modes. Users posting their experiences also vastly difference.

So I plan to do some listening in the next few weekends.

The blu ray article has an interresting suggestion that pointing the side surround speaker away from the listener. In fact the diagram show that the side surround point towards the screen.
Note : My living room is 4m wide x 6m deep in a 12 m wide x 6cm deep open space.

Offline kenshin07

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2017, 17:09 »
Using a PSB Imagine S surround in a HT room, it is quite different from a direct firing speaker. Give you a more diffuse kind of surround. Bipole/Dipole will benefit more if it is mounted against the wall.

The PSB Imagine S can be configured for both Bipole/Dipole usage depending on personal preference. To me I prefer the bipole sounding.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2017, 17:13 by kenshin07 »
AVR: Denon AVC 8500
Power amp: Aragon 8008BB, Proceed 2/3
speaker: Front/Center/Surround/SurrBack:Dynaudio contour s1.4, dynaudio 210C | PSB imagine s surround | PSB Imagine mini | Atmos spk AG diva SE
Sub: starke dual sub36
EQ: Minidsp DDRC-24 dirca live
Player: Oppo 203
Cable: AFA Zeus II PC (SUB), ESP reference PC (pwr amp, AVR, Oppo 203), AFA Zeus II speaker cable, oyaide MTB 6 with AFA Zeus II PC

Offline simic

• Trade Count: (0)
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2017, 17:28 »
There are more choices available.

Check out magnepan (dipole ribbon and quasi ribbon panels), ohm speakers (omnipolar mid/woofer, uni tweeter)
« Last Edit: March 15, 2017, 17:30 by simic »

Offline luqman123

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2017, 17:31 »
hv u try tripole?

Offline Hillviewer

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2017, 18:08 »
will check out PSB at Lenbrook and Magnepan at Absolute Sound. Hopefully they have demo unit.
cannot find ohm speakers. in fact too many google return on "ohm speakers"

Have not try tripole. Actually have not try dipole and bipole until I visited Pete's house last week. Will read up and consider tripole.

Offline luqman123

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2017, 18:23 »
i now using tripole. my speaker can convert fm mono to bipole n tripole. i tried all . now very satisfied with tripole.

Offline Hillviewer

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2017, 18:39 »
may I know what tripole speakers u are using?

Offline petetherock

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Sidere Mens Eadem Mutato
    • My Music, Movie and Equipment Musings...
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2017, 19:27 »
Hi bro
Glad the session was of some use to you.
Also glad we have poisoned you, and ever since the first person heard my PSB dipoles years back, he has been converted. Talk to Ken and he will be happy to share too :)

Firstly I would like to say that any technology is meant to enhance your HT experience, but don't get too caught up with it.
It's a means to an end. And the end is an immersive surround experience.
As you have seen, there are at least half a dozen threads on bipoles, dipoles, their pros and cons.
So one principle is to see what fits your needs.

As you said, some brands allow you to switch between dipole and bipole modes. That's better.

There are very few shops to audition, so don't hold your breath. Best to pm members here for a demo session and hear for yourself.

Try and get something which matches your fronts. Since you use MA, it doesn't make a lot of sense to try KEF or others unless they are a lot cheaper. Also take into consideration mounting issues. That can be more important, because the best speakers won't sound good in the wrong position.

HT is a lot about speaker position and levels. So pay more attention to that, than tech, and what is in the speaker. All the best bro, cheers.
Please post instead of sending a pm, so more can learn.

My gear:
https://peteswrite.blogspot.sg/2018/03/my-setup-32018.html

Offline kenshin07

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2017, 20:42 »
Hi bro
Glad the session was of some use to you.
Also glad we have poisoned you, and ever since the first person heard my PSB dipoles years back, he has been converted. Talk to Ken and he will be happy to share too :)

Haha that was many years back when i first heard the psb image surround after that upgrade to the imagine S series.

By upgrading, the surround becomes more refine and immersive. Balance is the key and try not to compromise the surround speaker if possible. :)
AVR: Denon AVC 8500
Power amp: Aragon 8008BB, Proceed 2/3
speaker: Front/Center/Surround/SurrBack:Dynaudio contour s1.4, dynaudio 210C | PSB imagine s surround | PSB Imagine mini | Atmos spk AG diva SE
Sub: starke dual sub36
EQ: Minidsp DDRC-24 dirca live
Player: Oppo 203
Cable: AFA Zeus II PC (SUB), ESP reference PC (pwr amp, AVR, Oppo 203), AFA Zeus II speaker cable, oyaide MTB 6 with AFA Zeus II PC

Offline Hillviewer

« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2017, 12:40 »
Did not really consider MA because the Gold FX is big ( Cabinet Dimensions (HxWxD) 310 x 390 x 160 mm). And the back is bare. So it is designed to be wall mount only.

Also I still cannot conclude that the Gold and GX really sound the similar.  I managed to find a pair of used MA stands last night. This weekend, I will find time to do compare GX300 and Gold 100 as LR. Not for performance. But whether they sound similar.

The surround will be stand mount. I do not have wall/window/sliding door on left and right.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2017, 12:53 by Hillviewer »

Offline bluepill193

« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2019, 17:30 »
Bro Hillviewer, how was your comparison between gx and gold? I have gx300 and thinking of getting the gxfx which is discontinued. Wondering if the newer gold fx will have matching sound character.

Offline Hillviewer

« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2019, 17:00 »
Paiseh, missed out this question.

It is hard for me to compare the GX and gold because I used the GX300 as LR and Gold 100 as surround back LR. Surround LF I use W380-IDC installed into a DIY box because of lack of space and wall on LR of the MLP.