Author Topic: Smyth Research A16 Realiser discussion  (Read 3735 times)

Offline wizardofoz

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • Dont take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive
Smyth Research A16 Realiser discussion
« on: March 14, 2017, 13:45 »
reserved

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/3mZhN3OG-tc&fs=1" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/3mZhN3OG-tc&fs=1</a>
I have a pile of stuff that pushes out squiggly waveforms from smaller squiggly waveforms that sometimes come from 1's and 0's.
It's wonderful to behold as long as you don't let the magic smoke out.

Life is short! Enjoy the music while it plays, when it stops, there might be a chair for you...or  maybe not.

Offline InnocentBlood

• Trade Count: (+4)
Re: Smyth Research A16 Realiser discussion
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2017, 15:18 »
Missed this last weekend. Hopefully SLT will have a demo unit when they are ready to take preorders. It would also be great to see some clips on how the A16 is physically connected to the Blu Ray Player & AVR. Or is the AVR not even part of the chain?
Sex N' Violence

Undesirable Publications

Blu Ray Discs for sale from $10 & DVDs @ $5 - contact 94595907, thank you

Offline jelt2359

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2017, 15:29 »
It has HDMI in.

I could clearly tell a difference between the HD800 and the 11.1 system, but then that's to be expected- different drivers and all. Mike Smyth agreed.

But what I really liked was that the sound stayed absolutely fixed in position as you moved your head. This is a key part of the speaker-listening experience (in 2ch) that you I never realised I 'missed' in headphones. When you listen to speakers you move, you talk, you bob your head, etc- the sound is always coming from the same place.

With IEMs and Headphones this has never been the case.

Absolutely looking forward to trying this with my 2ch music. Not gonna use it for movies much.

BTW, it has USB (digital), HDMI (digital) and analogue in, then headphone out or line out (for example to use with Stax).

Offline wizardofoz

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2017, 15:35 »
The a16 demo at the show used an Oppo update-203 with Hdmi audio out to the a16 and Hdmi video out to the tv, but we could have passed the video thru the a16 optionally too. We used all Yamaha active studio monitors in the room and a medium size Yamaha sub. That's was it.

The a16 outputs all 16 channels in line level for active speakers or amplifier inputs plus has 2 individual headphone outputs for both 6.3mm connection or rca line level for using with your preferred headphone amp if you desire. Optional you can feed to an avr via hdmi and use that for your driving the speakers.

The a16 decodes all multichannel formats and can upsample from 2.0 to 7.1.4 or more too and virtualise that in 2 channels on your headphones...spooky goodness  ???
I have a pile of stuff that pushes out squiggly waveforms from smaller squiggly waveforms that sometimes come from 1's and 0's.

Life is short! Enjoy the music while it plays, when it stops, there might be a chair for you...or  maybe not.

Offline InnocentBlood

• Trade Count: (+4)
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2017, 15:37 »
Can you just imagine how this might sound with the DAVE/ Blu MkII combo... ❤
Sex N' Violence

Undesirable Publications

Blu Ray Discs for sale from $10 & DVDs @ $5 - contact 94595907, thank you

Offline Doggie Howser

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2017, 16:50 »
Here's what I posted earlier

Thread necromancer level - XTREME! :P

2 threads in 2 days.

So I've been checking out the new Smyth Realiser A16 with Smyth Virtual Surround and it's waaaay more than I bargained for :)

It includes ONLY ONE HDMI2.0/HDCP2.2 compliant input - which kind of sucks, and it only has mini stereo outputs BUT that's really it. The only downsides.

Here's what it does offer.

Dolby Atmos/DTS X/Auro 3D decoding built right in. And with support for up to 16 channels!!! in future firmware updates.

Smyth is the "S" in DTS, so I guess we know the pedigree of the company - even if you never played with the old A8 Realiser. Which was bloody awesome.

You can run the A16 in complete bypass mode so it works like a regular AV Pre Pro - but from the marketing material, it looks like they'll also support at least one other format, Ambisonics? Which is a 15.1 format?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mZhN3OG-tc

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/3mZhN3OG-tc&fs=1" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/3mZhN3OG-tc&fs=1</a>

And this is before you factor in the cool headphone virtual surround which mimics your existing speakers!! Up to 16 of them!

If you don't like the headphone stand version, just grab the 2U rack mount version.

All for $1950 US. Pretty affordable methinks!!
End of Line - Derezzed

Offline wizardofoz

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2017, 18:48 »
The A16 really takes the A8 into the next level of capability.

Was going to post the links again here for the other you tubes but on my iPad it's a pain to select and optimize links as such....maybe later when I'm on my computer.

Offline dXter

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2017, 23:40 »
So there is a local pricing already? Tired the old A8 during one of the ISSE, was real impressed.

Offline wizardofoz

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2017, 02:31 »
Final pricing is still not confirmed from Smyth as yet.

Offline sas_aaron

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2017, 16:13 »
Hi anyone ordered this? From US website , Pre-sale Offer: US$1795 + shipping + taxes , was it ever preordered at lower price than US$1795 ? curious if any price increase as some articles mentioned US$1495 last year.

Any shops in singapore taking orders?

Offline Doggie Howser

« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2017, 16:34 »
Hi anyone ordered this? From US website , Pre-sale Offer: US$1795 + shipping + taxes , was it ever preordered at lower price than US$1795 ? curious if any price increase as some articles mentioned US$1495 last year.

Any shops in singapore taking orders?

It was a crowd funded exercise so it was cheaper initially.

But it was delayed a few times. Ordering now - it looks likely to be a Dec shipping.. that's almost 9 months later than promised.
End of Line - Derezzed

Offline wizardofoz

« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2017, 16:38 »
I have one on order...james emails updates and looks like units should ship in December.

The special pre retail pricing ends this month so if you want better jump on the program before Sunday.

Offline sas_aaron

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2017, 19:30 »
Hi anyone knows how much is estimated shipping to singapore?

Totally new in headphone game. what is total expected cost of whole system to work ? plan to buy 2 headphones. anything other things to buy like cables?

Offline wizardofoz

Offline wizardofoz