Author Topic: Help Needed: How shld I reconfig to include overheads/heights  (Read 10042 times)

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Bring the "Cinema experience" back home...
Yes, less is more...I dun advocate too many speakers UNLESS you have the "space" big enuff to benefit from it otherwise, it will create "more" problems with sound directionality. If you want "more"...this is the "bad kind". Keep away. For your setup, 7.1.4 should suffice.

Offline CASH

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Cash-96660233, Pasir Ris St 21, Blk 236, S(510236)
    • My Hi-Fi and H/T Set Up
"more, is not bad" lah...
its how good u are at getting them all to gel as a whole..
for me, it was easy peasy....
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
I LIKE EM, MEATY, THICK AND ROUND!!!!
Cash-96660233, Pasir Ris St 21, Blk 236, S(510236)
http://www.hraudio.net/library.php?user=11189

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
"more, is not bad" lah...
its how good u are at getting them all to gel as a whole..
for me, it was easy peasy....
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

You are missing the point here...re-read my previous post (again). I did add a "qualifying" statement to determine whether more is better or otherwise.

Offline sevenz

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • home theatre lover :D
Sometimes having more speakers do not mean you will have better immersed sound system.

Having less but more effective speakers placement might give better result in some room.

If TH need some eye opening experience, I would invite you to my cave to watch just 10 min of Ratatouille chapter 4 and 5 that is on just DTS and pure 5.1.

Thanks for the invite bro! :) Yea will try to visit one of these days.

I'm a firm believer that more does not mean better. A well placed and calibrated system with less speakers can also sound very good.

Offline sevenz

Yes, less is more...I dun advocate too many speakers UNLESS you have the "space" big enuff to benefit from it otherwise, it will create "more" problems with sound directionality. If you want "more"...this is the "bad kind". Keep away. For your setup, 7.1.4 should suffice.

Sometimes having more speakers do not mean you will have better immersed sound system. Having less but more effective speakers placement might give better result in some room.

yes thanks bros, fully agreed with this too :) Hence i have a 3rd option of not adding

Offline sevenz

Anyone tried front and rear height plus top middle? Seems to cover all the overhead sound.

bro, hows your room layout and size, and current speaker placement like?

Offline sigurros

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • "What we think, we become"
Anyone tried front and rear height plus top middle? Seems to cover all the overhead sound.

Sent from my MI NOTE LTE using Tapatalk

Don't think it's possible if you are talking about discrete channels as current gen AVR can only do 4 "heights" unless you do piggyback like what bro cash and jag did.

Or Auro with 1 channel directly above MLP with 4 heights.

Offline ahduck

• Trade Count: (+3)
Notice the 2016 Dolby Atmos demo disc has a 9.1.6 selection.
There could be a slight possibility for new processors/ avr in 2017?

Sent from my Game Boy Advance 32gb 4GLTE/WiFi using Tapatalk

HT: Sony 55X93D | Denon AVR-X6200W | Anthony Gallo Strada 2 | A'Diva SE | SVS SB-2000 | Oppo UDP-203 |

PC: Teac AI-301DA | Mirage Nano Sat | Ken Kreisel DXD-808 |

Offline ronildoq

• Trade Count: (+2)
Yes 9.1.6 configuration is in the Dolby test tones. Trust me bro, you would want the .6 atmos channel readily laid for future, even if you dont use it now. The entire idea behind Object based audio is the engineers are able to encode specific metadata into the tracks so audio plays all around u, 3D audio coming from the exact correct channel of a specific speaker, especially overheads. This will be supplemented by the bass. It is that good! Its not like DTS or Dolby tracks. This Atmos tracks are in a different league. Dolby is leading the way, including Dolby Vision......

https://www.dolby.com/us/en/brands/dolby-atmos.html 

Offline exclusive

• Trade Count: (+1)
hi all,

seeking guidance from all the pros here
bookshelf speakers
no stands, only wall mount due to WAF

how should i wall/ ceiling mount them?
how high should the rear surround speakers?

maybe my dining will be at the suggested study area. still planning where to put.

below is my  typical hdb layout.

hope to hear some advises =)
« Last Edit: March 14, 2017, 15:16 by exclusive »
7.2.4 [DENON X3600H,MINIDSP DDRC 88A/2x4HD/WI-DG, SUNFIRE 7201 POWERING MK LCR 950, DEFINITIVE TECHNOLOGY PROMONITOR 1000 AS SURROUND ON SANUS STAND,DEFINITIVE TECHNOLOGY PROMONITOR 800 HEIGHTS, RYTHMIK FV15HP+F15HP]
LG OLED 55C7

Offline Jag

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/KneuK"><a href="//imgur.com/KneuK"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
hi all,

seeking guidance from all the pros here on my typical hdb speaker layout.
bookshelf speakers
no stands, only wall mount due to WAF

how should i wall/ ceiling mount them?
how high should the rear surround speakers?

hope to hear some advises =)

Need to see pics. Can't see any pics.
Electronics : Denon 7200, MiniDSP Dirac 88A, Emotiva XPA-5 Gen2, MiniDSP 2x4HD for BEQ
ATMOS Audio : Martin Logan Ethos (L&R), ML Motif X(C), ML Motion 4 (14pcs surround spkrs)
LFE : Dual Rythmik FV25HP & Crowson Motion Actuator
Video : Sony VPL-HW55ES, Stewart Screen Studiotek 1.3
Source : HTPC
Fully automated HT via Alexa, Z-wave and Logitech Harmony Remote Control

Offline exclusive

• Trade Count: (+1)
was trying to upload floorplan just now.

it's uploaded now =)
7.2.4 [DENON X3600H,MINIDSP DDRC 88A/2x4HD/WI-DG, SUNFIRE 7201 POWERING MK LCR 950, DEFINITIVE TECHNOLOGY PROMONITOR 1000 AS SURROUND ON SANUS STAND,DEFINITIVE TECHNOLOGY PROMONITOR 800 HEIGHTS, RYTHMIK FV15HP+F15HP]
LG OLED 55C7

Offline sevenz

Thank u all for your advice! :) Finally! Overhead speakers installed and running.

I'm still running in the AG speakers and had been busy cleaning up the mess created by all the hacking works, so didn't have the time to fully calibrate and listen critically yet. But, initial impression after running a few tracks with overhead sounds:
- very big improvement overall
- immersion experience is better now compared to 5.1
- the overhead speakers gave a different but added dimension to the steering of overhead sounds

The vendor (Nic) did a good job with good workmanship, and was able to give sound advice too.

Here're pics of the final product kudos to all of u!  :) ;)

« Last Edit: September 16, 2020, 22:54 by sevenz »

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
Hmmm...I wouldn't call it ceiling-speakers but rather "on-wall" speakers. This is definitely a good alternate setup (following SVS style) to achieve that immersive sound. Glad you like the results.

BadEnglish

• Trade Count: (0)
After calibrated, try with an without height on DTS-HD and Dolby HD tracks. And report back ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal