Author Topic: Opp Sonica DAC discussion  (Read 9354 times)

Offline wizardofoz

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • Dont take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive
Opp Sonica DAC discussion
« on: February 09, 2017, 14:39 »
Lets talk about the new Sonica DAC from Oppo here.

https://www.oppodigital.com/sonica-dac/

there is an MO interest thread here http://www.xtremeplace.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=246790.0
« Last Edit: February 09, 2017, 15:34 by wizardofoz »
I have a pile of stuff that pushes out squiggly waveforms from smaller squiggly waveforms that sometimes come from 1's and 0's.
It's wonderful to behold as long as you don't let the magic smoke out.

Life is short! Enjoy the music while it plays, when it stops, there might be a chair for you...or  maybe not.

Offline alvin1118

• Trade Count: (+4)
    • VINSHINE AUDIO
Re: Opp Sonica DAC discussion
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2017, 14:42 »
that's fast bro !  ;D

ESS9038Pro ?

Offline DJQ

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • PLINIUS The Heart Of Music
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2017, 15:08 »
lai liao... see can chiet all other DACs around the price tag anot.  :)
ProJect Q.

Offline wizardofoz

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2017, 15:34 »
Must fast hand fast leg before everyone finds out this swiss army knife of a beauty/beast is the business.

I'm doing some listening with it now - but early days. I will post some listening results in good time.

I've heard supply is limited for now so better be quick.
I have a pile of stuff that pushes out squiggly waveforms from smaller squiggly waveforms that sometimes come from 1's and 0's.

Life is short! Enjoy the music while it plays, when it stops, there might be a chair for you...or  maybe not.

Offline wizardofoz

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2017, 17:15 »
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/173-2-channel-audio/2616641-oppo-sonica-dac-3.html

http://hometheaterreview.com/oppo-digital-launches-sonica-dacmusic-streamer/

The Sonica has an APP that allows all sorts of neat things...including browsing a HDD full of music for playback thru the DAC and to Sonica Speakers

« Last Edit: February 09, 2017, 17:25 by wizardofoz »

Offline wizardofoz

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2017, 18:11 »
Perhaps not many have seen this as its just released in the USA...not many reviews but as there are so few units at this stage coming into Singapore I thought there might be more interest. Anyway here are some more pics.

Offline wbjia

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Snr Member
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2017, 18:19 »
ok i want to buy ;D

Offline wizardofoz

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2017, 18:30 »
« Last Edit: February 11, 2017, 18:32 by wizardofoz »

Offline wizardofoz

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2017, 12:55 »
some new comments in the real world

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f6-dac-digital-analog-conversion/oppo-sonica-digital-analogue-converter-coming-fall-2016-a-29780/index3.html

"The Sonica DAC arrived yesterday morning and right out the box it bested the *PS Audio DirectStream ($5999.00) by a wide margin."

Kind words indeed.

Offline wizardofoz

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2017, 14:36 »
Like everything its a choice...both for the designer and the consumer.

cost/technology/usability/features/market/etc...etc

if we all had the same tastes then there would be very little to talk about.

There are of course lots of DAC designs to choose from some using the same ESS others AKM, BB, CL, R2R etc etc as you say.

plenty to go around for everyone :D

Offline soundaudio

• I love HT
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2017, 12:34 »
I'm doing some listening with it now - but early days. I will post some listening results in good time.
Hi. Please let us know how is the SQ? Especially would like to know how is the SQ as standalone dac. Thanks.

Offline wizardofoz

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2017, 14:27 »
So far the sound is very good - to my ears at least as good (and far more features like BT/DSD512/Airplay/Line in/Tidal-Spotify/app based setup) than the PS Audio DS Jr it has replaced.

While Roon integration would be a nice to have - using via Roon Bridge is perfectly workable. MQA one day might be nice too, but for now I'm not going down that road - Though I do use Tidal a lot for finding new music.

Comparing to the HA-1 its missing the Class A operation and the headphone output. But similar signature with the ESS DAC chip, but the 9038Pro perhaps gives the edge with the additional DSD rates and also the LAN/Wifi connectivity is certainly a great asset.

Overall its been a most enjoyable DAC to have, and its not leaving my system any time soon.

as everyone hears things differently and has their own likes and dislikes one really can only rely on others comments to a limited degree.

Certainly it is a swiss army knife of DACs - a great all rounder, and value for money given the large number of features it has. Is it a Lampizator or Holo Spring? No but then again is not playing those price ranges - but its working well for me.

I also have a Vinshine R2R and Oppo HA-1, both are in similar price ranges ($1K-$2K DAC's) and I don't think I could honestly say I dislike any of them - some differences in sound but nothing that I don't care for one way or the other.

hope that helps a bit... I've been away a bit last week so haven't had time to listen the last 5 days.

Online kiat

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2017, 12:07 »
@wizardodoz what's the main difference between Sonica and DS Jr?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Offline wizardofoz

« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2017, 12:16 »
The features... I was happy with the either sound wise., i.e no good nor bad. budget wise the Sonica and features i.e. DSD512 etc win out the DS. Others may see things differently

Offline desee

« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2017, 21:50 »
The sonica dac only usb connect can upscale to 24/384 ?

Offline wizardofoz

« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2017, 01:57 »
You can read the specs on the Oppo site...no point to reproduce it all again here.

But USB up to 32/768 is possible, but upscaling I'm not sure if it's NOS or OS, but I assume the later.

I upscale in roon where needed
« Last Edit: February 21, 2017, 02:32 by wizardofoz »

Offline wizardofoz

« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2017, 00:37 »
A recent review here http://hometheaterreview.com/oppo-sonica-dac-reviewed/

Also Siegfried Linkwitz is now using one in his setup

Offline Doggie Howser

« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2017, 09:59 »
I've just heard from the local Oppo distributor in Australia that Oppo has decided not to go through with the Sonica range - and is winding down the production.

You guys are lucky you got yours. Australia didn't even get any production units.

They said they are focussing on the Oppo 205 - which I guess will still carry the same sonic performance.

End of Line - Derezzed

Offline InnocentBlood

• Trade Count: (+4)
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2017, 13:28 »
i guess the HA-1 will be next in line to get an upgrade, based on the tech from the Oppo 205.
Sex N' Violence

Undesirable Publications

Blu Ray Discs for sale from $10 & DVDs @ $5 - contact 94595907, thank you

Offline wizardofoz

« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2017, 19:59 »
https://www.oppodigital.com/sonica/ Still being available in the USA

https://www.oppodigital.com/sonica-dac/ Likewise still available in the USA

So maybe the Aust distributor is not wanting to carry the Sonica ranges?

As far as I know the Speaker range might be limited life or perhaps no longer for export but the DAC is still being made ready for production and has had some delays.

Offline Doggie Howser

« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2017, 20:54 »
https://www.oppodigital.com/sonica/ Still being available in the USA

https://www.oppodigital.com/sonica-dac/ Likewise still available in the USA

So maybe the Aust distributor is not wanting to carry the Sonica ranges?

As far as I know the Speaker range might be limited life or perhaps no longer for export but the DAC is still being made ready for production and has had some delays.

Nope we had presales of the Sonica DAC. But Oppo pulled the plug on the Sonica range from what we were told. They are shipping the stock from here back to US and will be selling them thru US.

The word was that they would be focusing on their other product ranges. Which I suspect would be the 205 and HA1 replacement.

The pricing of the Sonica DAC here was 1199 which made it an incredible price imho
End of Line - Derezzed

Offline malsound

« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2017, 22:55 »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/raOXsK-Paoo&fs=1" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/raOXsK-Paoo&fs=1</a>

Offline malsound

« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2017, 23:07 »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/cLaeRJd2258&fs=1" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/cLaeRJd2258&fs=1</a>

Offline DJQ

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • PLINIUS The Heart Of Music
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2017, 23:45 »
HKD$6999  :o for once our retail price is almost on par.
ProJect Q.

Offline Doggie Howser

« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2017, 08:42 »
It was $1099AUD :)
End of Line - Derezzed

Offline debadgedA6

« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2017, 08:43 »
Actually was looking out for a Cambridge Audio CXN or 851N and wondering what I will be missing on either the Cambridge Audio pair or this Oppo Sonica.

I am quite vain and so I like the color display on the Cambridge Audio and would really want a unit in silver to match my other audio gear.
Marantz AV7702 MK II ATMOS 7.2.4  Pre-processor
Marantz MM7025 2 Channel Power Amp 140w x 2
Emotiva XPA3 Gen 3 : 3 Channel Power Amp 275w x 3
Emotiva BasX A-700 : 7 Channel Power Amp 80w x 7
SVS SB-1000 : 12” sealed subwoofer
B&W ASW-610 : 10” sealed subwoofer
2 x SVS Prime Tower - Front
1 x Paradigm Center S3 - Center
6 x SVS Prime Satellites - Heights and & Surround
2 x Dali Zensor 7 - Surround Back

Offline wizardofoz

« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2017, 11:41 »
If want to stream from NAS, does it requires DLNA or SMB protocols? In my understanding DLNA requires rendering to be done at the source, such as NAS, which is inferior. SMB requires rendering to be done on the playback end, for instance the streamer; manufacturer can optimised the rendering engine for better quality playback.

Suggest you read the manual available online. In the meantime I will will check, as I'm only familiar with using on USB currently

Offline wizardofoz

« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2017, 00:12 »
DLNA based on the Oppo website

Offline AndrewC

« Reply #28 on: April 29, 2017, 08:22 »
... In my understanding DLNA requires rendering to be done at the source, such as NAS, which is inferior. SMB requires rendering to be done on the playback end, for instance the streamer; manufacturer can optimised the rendering engine for better quality playback.

Nah, it doesn’t work that way…

In both 2 and 3 component DLNA set-ups, the renderer is always the digital-to-analog conversion point in the set-up; for Audio that’d be with a DAC, or for Video that be the TV. The NAS is the server point or file source only, not a renderer. Pretty much every NAS supplier has a DLNA server, that when enabled, will be visible to any DLNA renderer/control-point in the network.

SMB (and CIFS) is just a file networking protocol, there's no "rendering" involved. It's entirely up to a DAC to stream source flows from a NAS via SMB (if supported) and render that digital stream by itself separately (i.e. not relate to the SMB protocol at all).

I don’t have direct knowledge of what the Oppo supports or not, but it will behave no different to that described above. Like Whiz suggests, maybe you should RTFM :)
You'll never get to heaven with a smile on your face from me.

Offline AndrewC

« Reply #29 on: May 12, 2017, 22:15 »
DLNA requires DMS (Digital Media Server at source, e.g, NAS) and DMR (Digital Media Renderer, at the receiver, PC or playback software) to work together:
https://www.computeraudiophile.com/ca/ca-academy/the-complete-guide-to-hifi-upnp-dlna-network-audio/

.... blah blah blah

In a SMB/CIFS, the receiver, PC or the playback software see the NAS as a file data storage; the rendering is done by playback software, such as Roon, JRiver etc, thus it has better control on the rendering quality. The renderer engine can be updated to support new format and higher sampling frequency.

Tell me something I don’t already know ::)… the DLNA architecture works on the basis of 3 key discrete components; a Server, a Renderer, and a Control-point (either standalone or built-into the Renderer).

The primary purpose of Roon and JRiver are not as Renderers, but as software transports, or more commonly referred to as streaming bridges; because they are mostly used for digital-in/digital-out; retrieve media streams from HDD/USB/NAS (SMB over Ethernet) and output digital bit streams over USB or Ethernet to a DAC. 

A Renderer on the other hand, is the digital-to-analog conversion point, i.e. it renders the digital stream into analog. Moving bitstreams in one digital format to another digital format is not rendering.

By the way, why are you continuing to use two different IDs; “guymrob” and “MusicEar” to post? Pretending to be two different people?

Offline AndrewC

« Reply #30 on: May 15, 2017, 17:22 »
My argument is DAC is strictly a digital to analog converter; converting PCM/DSD into analog. It is not a renderer but a converter, it is as simple as that. You can find more information below:

https://techterms.com/definition/rendering

For two IDs, I've accidentally mixed up and my apology to you. Normally I use the one for selling my Hi-Fi gears while the other strictly for forum discussion. You can also find me in Roon discussion too.

Dude, it’s in the context of the DLNA!! Not a general-purpose technical use of the word Renderer. Pretty stupid to point to some tech glossary!! If you’re going to argue, at least do some proper homework first lah ::) ; I bet you haven’t even read the DLNA specs have you… I expect not. So, here’s a clues;

ISO/IEC 29341-3-2:2008(E) defines a general-purpose device template that can be used to instantiate any Consumer Electronic (CE) device that is capable of rendering AV content from the home network[/b].

Media Renderer devices are used in conjunction with one or more Media Server device(s) to allow a Control Point to render entertainment (AV) content (e.g. video, music, images, etc) that is discovered on a MediaServer device within the home network.

Get it? ... “device that is capable of rendering AV content” - to render AV content in this context means to convert a digital stream into audio or video. Every DNLA rendering end-point device has to have a DAC built-in, both audio and video.

ps: No need to apologise to me about interchangably using two IDs… just want to let you know we’re not stupid, you can’t pretend to be two different people — I notice you’ve deleted that original post where you’re asking a question with one ID, and then later with the other ID you’re pretending to know what you’re talking about. That’s dodgy behaviour. Some forums (like Audio Asylum) strictly forbid such behaviour, obviously X’place closes one eye.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2017, 17:45 by AndrewC »

Offline Joel3Cv2

• Snr Member
« Reply #31 on: May 16, 2017, 19:37 »
As a matter of interest have any of you listened to the Prism Sound Callia?

Offline AndrewC

« Reply #32 on: May 17, 2017, 19:12 »
OT: Hate to beat a dead house, but…

Your quote 'No need to apologise to me about interchangably using two IDs… just want to let you know we’re not stupid, you can’t pretend to be two different people — I notice you’ve deleted that original post where you’re asking a question with one ID, and then later with the other ID you’re pretending to know what you’re talking about. That’s dodgy behaviour. Some forums (like Audio Asylum) strictly forbid such behaviour, obviously X’place closes one eye'.

As I described previously I've no intention of using two different IDs for a forum discussion as it is mixed up when i didn't log off from the previous ID after I sold off my hi-fi gear. Only then I realised I got the ID mixed up. As I already did my part to clarify and apologised the confusion to those who in forum. I and you have stumbled upon our differences in the opinions for some of subjects posted before, but I want to add in is this forum is a learning ground for many of us here, let don't get too loggerheads over it.

No, we haven’t had any difference of opinions… When you post wrong technical information, expect to be corrected. It’s not an opinion and nothing personal. When you don’t accept the correction in the face of clear evidence but insist on your mistaken view, you’re not learning, you’re just being obstinate.

As for using two IDs… here’s what transpired in this thread from my point of view;
- April 27th you posted as guymrob and clearly you don’t even know how DLNA and SMB works differently when using a NAS
- April 29th I replied to guymrob explaining how things actually work
- May 9 you replied to my post unsolicited as MusicEar and suddenly you’re an “expert” on DLNA and SMB. And when you’re corrected on mistaken information, you argue ::)

Your excuse of accidental ID login doesn’t explain the content of your posts as either ID. I don’t really know your motivation or whether you were using two IDs as a sockpuppet, but luckily all posts were quoted in this thread, so the evidence is there.

Offline Sound Affairs

• PLiXiR Balanced Power Products.
    • Sound Affairs
« Reply #33 on: January 12, 2018, 10:27 »
Hi,

OPPO Sonica DAC is now available in Singapore, from Sound Affairs Pte Ltd.   We now also have a relaunch promotion for OPPO products. 

More infos here : http://www.xtremeplace.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=265330.0

thanks.

James.
PLiXiR Balanced AC Power Conditioners/DC Supplies and Cables.  Made in Singapore.

Swiss PSI Active Bass Traps and Active Speakers

OPPO Digital Distributor and Product Modifications Centre.

DAC and Digital source modifications with True Femto Clock modules.

Other Brands : MELCO, Black Cat Cables, Weiss Digital, Benchmark, Bfly, Frank Ultrabank Products UB25000

www.mysoundaffairs.com

Offline Sound Affairs

• Sound Affairs
« Reply #34 on: November 02, 2018, 08:57 »
Promotion for the OPPO SONICA ESS9038PRO DAC, that supports tidal and spotify directly here.  Has built in Wifi as well for wireless integration! 

http://www.xtremeplace.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=278426.0

Last few units, so this is it if you are keen on one of the best valued DAC (features and performance) !

James.
PLiXiR Balanced AC Power Conditioners/DC Supplies and Cables.  Made in Singapore.

Other Brands : MELCO, Black Cat Cables, Weiss Digital, Benchmark, Bfly, Frank Ultrabank Products UB25000

www.mysoundaffairs.com

Offline Sound Affairs

• Sound Affairs
« Reply #35 on: March 11, 2019, 09:09 »
Sound Affairs Xtreme Modded OPPO SONICA DAC Close Out Sale.

All things considered, this will be the BEST Value and Best Performance DAC in its class of Streamer / DAC. 

More infos here : http://www.xtremeplace.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=283182.msg1301121;topicseen#new

Thanks!

James.

www.mysoundaffairs.com