Author Topic: Opp Sonica DAC discussion  (Read 9483 times)

Offline wizardofoz

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • Dont take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive
Opp Sonica DAC discussion
« on: February 09, 2017, 14:39 »
Lets talk about the new Sonica DAC from Oppo here.

https://www.oppodigital.com/sonica-dac/

there is an MO interest thread here http://www.xtremeplace.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=246790.0
« Last Edit: February 09, 2017, 15:34 by wizardofoz »
I have a pile of stuff that pushes out squiggly waveforms from smaller squiggly waveforms that sometimes come from 1's and 0's.
It's wonderful to behold as long as you don't let the magic smoke out.

Life is short! Enjoy the music while it plays, when it stops, there might be a chair for you...or  maybe not.

Offline alvin1118

• Trade Count: (+4)
    • VINSHINE AUDIO
Re: Opp Sonica DAC discussion
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2017, 14:42 »
that's fast bro !  ;D

ESS9038Pro ?

Offline DJQ

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • PLINIUS The Heart Of Music
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2017, 15:08 »
lai liao... see can chiet all other DACs around the price tag anot.  :)
ProJect Q.

Offline wizardofoz

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2017, 15:34 »
Must fast hand fast leg before everyone finds out this swiss army knife of a beauty/beast is the business.

I'm doing some listening with it now - but early days. I will post some listening results in good time.

I've heard supply is limited for now so better be quick.
I have a pile of stuff that pushes out squiggly waveforms from smaller squiggly waveforms that sometimes come from 1's and 0's.

Life is short! Enjoy the music while it plays, when it stops, there might be a chair for you...or  maybe not.

Offline wizardofoz

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2017, 17:15 »
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/173-2-channel-audio/2616641-oppo-sonica-dac-3.html

http://hometheaterreview.com/oppo-digital-launches-sonica-dacmusic-streamer/

The Sonica has an APP that allows all sorts of neat things...including browsing a HDD full of music for playback thru the DAC and to Sonica Speakers

« Last Edit: February 09, 2017, 17:25 by wizardofoz »

Offline wizardofoz

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2017, 18:11 »
Perhaps not many have seen this as its just released in the USA...not many reviews but as there are so few units at this stage coming into Singapore I thought there might be more interest. Anyway here are some more pics.

Offline wbjia

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Snr Member
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2017, 18:19 »
ok i want to buy ;D

Offline wizardofoz

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2017, 18:30 »
« Last Edit: February 11, 2017, 18:32 by wizardofoz »

Offline wizardofoz

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2017, 12:55 »
some new comments in the real world

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f6-dac-digital-analog-conversion/oppo-sonica-digital-analogue-converter-coming-fall-2016-a-29780/index3.html

"The Sonica DAC arrived yesterday morning and right out the box it bested the *PS Audio DirectStream ($5999.00) by a wide margin."

Kind words indeed.

Offline wizardofoz

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2017, 14:36 »
Like everything its a choice...both for the designer and the consumer.

cost/technology/usability/features/market/etc...etc

if we all had the same tastes then there would be very little to talk about.

There are of course lots of DAC designs to choose from some using the same ESS others AKM, BB, CL, R2R etc etc as you say.

plenty to go around for everyone :D

Offline soundaudio

• I love HT
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2017, 12:34 »
I'm doing some listening with it now - but early days. I will post some listening results in good time.
Hi. Please let us know how is the SQ? Especially would like to know how is the SQ as standalone dac. Thanks.

Offline wizardofoz

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2017, 14:27 »
So far the sound is very good - to my ears at least as good (and far more features like BT/DSD512/Airplay/Line in/Tidal-Spotify/app based setup) than the PS Audio DS Jr it has replaced.

While Roon integration would be a nice to have - using via Roon Bridge is perfectly workable. MQA one day might be nice too, but for now I'm not going down that road - Though I do use Tidal a lot for finding new music.

Comparing to the HA-1 its missing the Class A operation and the headphone output. But similar signature with the ESS DAC chip, but the 9038Pro perhaps gives the edge with the additional DSD rates and also the LAN/Wifi connectivity is certainly a great asset.

Overall its been a most enjoyable DAC to have, and its not leaving my system any time soon.

as everyone hears things differently and has their own likes and dislikes one really can only rely on others comments to a limited degree.

Certainly it is a swiss army knife of DACs - a great all rounder, and value for money given the large number of features it has. Is it a Lampizator or Holo Spring? No but then again is not playing those price ranges - but its working well for me.

I also have a Vinshine R2R and Oppo HA-1, both are in similar price ranges ($1K-$2K DAC's) and I don't think I could honestly say I dislike any of them - some differences in sound but nothing that I don't care for one way or the other.

hope that helps a bit... I've been away a bit last week so haven't had time to listen the last 5 days.

Offline kiat

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2017, 12:07 »
@wizardodoz what's the main difference between Sonica and DS Jr?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Offline wizardofoz

« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2017, 12:16 »
The features... I was happy with the either sound wise., i.e no good nor bad. budget wise the Sonica and features i.e. DSD512 etc win out the DS. Others may see things differently

Offline desee

« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2017, 21:50 »
The sonica dac only usb connect can upscale to 24/384 ?