Author Topic: Pass Labs and First Watt amplifiers  (Read 56695 times)

Offline francishuang

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Pass Labs amplifiers
« Reply #30 on: January 04, 2017, 22:57 »
Personally i will stick to the x350.8 for the VA Kiss
I believe it will give more bite compared to the xa.8.
It will better at driving VA to what it is really gd at,the bang and whack. Perhaps a x600.8?   ;D
 But of course, Its my personal peference on how to drive VA speakers. You may not be looking for the same sound from ur VA kiss
« Last Edit: January 04, 2017, 23:14 by francishuang »
Shindo is Music

Offline francishuang

« Reply #31 on: January 05, 2017, 00:13 »
Cost is always a big issue for me!!
 :)
Both sound very different, its what u like that is more impt

Bro Francis, for you price no object, it's ok, but for those price conscious, like most of us here, what is the price to performance between these 2 brands? That's to say to achieve the same performance, how much are the price point for their respective amps or simply put, which is cheaper? That's what I'll need to consider first.

Personally, I prefer the looks of the Mcintosh but performance will still be priority but then if factoring price into the equation, then will have to see how much will be the impact in terms of cost to performance ratio.
Shindo is Music

Offline crazysurfer

« Reply #32 on: January 05, 2017, 00:55 »
Cost is always a big issue for me!!
 :)
Both sound very different, its what u like that is more impt

Bro Francis, with all those Expensive Equipment that you own including your several looms of Odin II Cables and your latest pair of Wilson Alexiss speakers and cost is an issue for you?  ???  You must be joking, right?  ;)

I have yet to hear the Pass Labs but so far, I like what I hear on the Mcintosh, very musical, very fluid with a smooth & refine sound that will melt your heart once it opens up to you, but sadly, cost has always been a big issue that's stopping me. :P :-\

Offline jerome_the_lang

« Reply #33 on: January 05, 2017, 08:20 »
How does pass labs compare to ayre?

According to JA, pass labs 3-box pre xp30 sound performance is only equal to the ayre 1-box pre kx-r.

3-box performance = 1-box performance?

Why we need 3 boxes for then?

I have always been pondering this question.

Alas, for me,  fortunately/unfortunately, the local agent for ayre is so damn freaking arrogant, i have totally no interest in dealing with them.

What works for me is that the designer of all my speakers voiced them with pass labs aleph 1.2 amps and he continues up to this day to speak glowingly for every new iteration of pass labs' single-ended bridged designs.

Plus, Anthony really really does give fantastic prices.

Many thanks to the mods for continuing to tolerate all my expressive vulgarisms and harassment of fellow forumers...

Offline fgchong

« Reply #34 on: January 05, 2017, 10:11 »
According to JA, pass labs 3-box pre xp30 sound performance is only equal to the ayre 1-box pre kx-r.

Are you referring to John Atkinson of Stereophile?  Used to read his articles in the late 80s & 90s......to me both pre have their own strength and weakness and for different music genre, how can it be the same performance....

Offline pingpong

• Snr Member
« Reply #35 on: January 05, 2017, 13:33 »

Anyone own or auditioned the Int-250 int amp? Please share your view on the int amp if u have heard it..

Thanks in advance

Cheers

Offline mikey8811

• Snr Member
« Reply #36 on: January 05, 2017, 13:36 »
Personally i will stick to the x350.8 for the VA Kiss
I believe it will give more bite compared to the xa.8.
It will better at driving VA to what it is really gd at,the bang and whack. Perhaps a x600.8?   ;D
 But of course, Its my personal peference on how to drive VA speakers. You may not be looking for the same sound from ur VA kiss

Yes, that was what the Pass people recommended and said with regards to X350.8. They said the XA 0.8 will sound warmer but have less slam and drive. I kind of like the speed but also like more warmth at the same time - but then don't we all?

I am happy with the X350.8.

Offline mikey8811

• Snr Member
« Reply #37 on: January 05, 2017, 14:15 »
How does pass labs compare to ayre?

3-box performance = 1-box performance?

Why we need 3 boxes for then?

I have always been pondering this question.

Alas, for me,  fortunately/unfortunately, the local agent for ayre is so damn freaking arrogant, i have totally no interest in dealing with them.

What works for me is that the designer of all my speakers voiced them with pass labs aleph 1.2 amps and he continues up to this day to speak glowingly for every new iteration of pass labs' single-ended bridged designs.

Plus, Anthony really really does give fantastic prices.

I don't know about the pre but I heard the Ayre VX R Twenty AB'ed with the older Pass XA 200.5 both through the KX R Twenty. I preferred the Pass. It was fuller, warmer and had a better musical flow. To its credit the Ayre was more airy, transparent and had more inner detail at both ends of the frequency extremes but it could be a bit harsh treble wise on certain recordings.

Offline jerome_the_lang

« Reply #38 on: January 05, 2017, 16:40 »
I don't know about the pre but I heard the Ayre VX R Twenty AB'ed with the older Pass XA 200.5 both through the KX R Twenty. I preferred the Pass. It was fuller, warmer and had a better musical flow. To its credit the Ayre was more airy, transparent and had more inner detail at both ends of the frequency extremes but it could be a bit harsh treble wise on certain recordings.

Actually a few times i went HER to try to audition pass labs products the one particular salesman there always tried to persuade me to choose another brand they were carrying then - saying that pass is "slow"

One man's "slow" can be another man's "warmth"

Just saying.....

I persisted with x2.5 and x350.
Upgraded to xp20.

But there is still a big segment of listeners who will agree that pass labs still lags behind a few brands in the aspect of "speed" and "frequency extension". My vintage sony ta-e1 and ta-n1 combi till today still sounds more transparent than the pass combi.

I've heard bro audio's kx-r and mx-r at his place in hong kong. No signs of fatigueness.
Many thanks to the mods for continuing to tolerate all my expressive vulgarisms and harassment of fellow forumers...

Offline jerome_the_lang

« Reply #39 on: January 05, 2017, 16:43 »
Are you referring to John Atkinson of Stereophile?  Used to read his articles in the late 80s & 90s......to me both pre have their own strength and weakness and for different music genre, how can it be the same performance....

What talking you?

Both are solid state pre-amps, and if cannot make direct comparison, then what can make comparison?

Offline jerome_the_lang

« Reply #40 on: January 05, 2017, 16:47 »
I've listened to the x350.8 extensively.
But not at home yet compared to the x350.

I like the new type speaker terminals.

To me both units sound better with whatever powercords plugged straight from the wall mains.

Offline fgchong

« Reply #41 on: January 05, 2017, 16:49 »

What talking you?

Both are solid state pre-amps, and if cannot make direct comparison, then what can make comparison?

Please read my message, I am not talking about comparison!  Of course you can compare with anything!

Offline jerome_the_lang

« Reply #42 on: January 05, 2017, 16:50 »
I would urge caution if anybody thinking about monoblocks but dont have identical ac outlets to feed these power hungry behemoths.

The 2 outlets from wall mains duplexes tend to exhibit different sound performance...

Offline jerome_the_lang

« Reply #43 on: January 05, 2017, 16:52 »
Please read my message, I am not talking about comparison!  Of course you can compare with anything!

I was talking about xp30 vs kx-r comparisons.

You replied to my post.

If you not talking about comparisons then what are you talking about?

Offline fgchong

« Reply #44 on: January 05, 2017, 16:55 »
I was talking about xp30 vs kx-r comparisons.

You replied to my post.

If you not talking about comparisons then what are you talking about?

Please lah... I am talking about how can they be of the same performance!!!!!!!!!!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal