Author Topic: Pass Labs and First Watt amplifiers  (Read 56696 times)

Offline murphys33

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • I'm a llama!
Re: Pass Labs amplifiers
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2017, 20:39 »
Nice. I love pass and has been an owner for some 10 years. And like yrself started.with tubes. Pass is very good value for the money. Congrats!

Offline annapurna

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2017, 21:54 »
Nice. I love pass and has been an owner for some 10 years. And like yrself started.with tubes. Pass is very good value for the money. Congrats!

Thanks Murphy.   Which Passlabs model do you have?  Any tips to make it sound better?   
SME20/12 V12 arm, Clearaudio Titanium V2, Pass XP27 Phono, Marantz SA10, CD7, NA11S1, Pass XP22 Pre, Gryphon Mephisto, Sonus Faber Lilium, Kimber PK10 Palladian, Shunyata Alpha Zitron & Yter PC, Yter XLR, bi-wire spkr cables, Nordost Tyr phono cables, PurePower PP+ 3000  Regenerator, TAOC ASR2, Furutech GTX-D NCF(R)

Offline annapurna

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2017, 21:55 »
Trying to emulate the familiar look & sound of the legendary Mcintosh Amps?

The looks maybe but I don't think Passlabs current point 8 series sound anything like Mcintosh.
SME20/12 V12 arm, Clearaudio Titanium V2, Pass XP27 Phono, Marantz SA10, CD7, NA11S1, Pass XP22 Pre, Gryphon Mephisto, Sonus Faber Lilium, Kimber PK10 Palladian, Shunyata Alpha Zitron & Yter PC, Yter XLR, bi-wire spkr cables, Nordost Tyr phono cables, PurePower PP+ 3000  Regenerator, TAOC ASR2, Furutech GTX-D NCF(R)

Offline crazysurfer

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2017, 23:14 »
The looks maybe but I don't think Passlabs current point 8 series sound anything like Mcintosh.

Looks Mcintosh may win hands down but in terms of sound, anybody ever compared with similar amps from both?

Offline francishuang

« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2017, 00:34 »
Very different different sound
 ;)

I'll take a pass lab over mc anytime, personal perference
Shindo is Music

Offline alvin1118

• Trade Count: (+4)
    • VINSHINE AUDIO
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2017, 00:38 »

coincidentally, saw this from Harbeth facebook post.

Offline crazysurfer

« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2017, 01:09 »
Very different different sound
 ;)

I'll take a pass lab over mc anytime, personal perference

Bro Francis, for you price no object, it's ok, but for those price conscious, like most of us here, what is the price to performance between these 2 brands? That's to say to achieve the same performance, how much are the price point for their respective amps or simply put, which is cheaper? That's what I'll need to consider first.

Personally, I prefer the looks of the Mcintosh but performance will still be priority but then if factoring price into the equation, then will have to see how much will be the impact in terms of cost to performance ratio.

Offline jimi

« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2017, 02:43 »
Wow. Bro, where have you been hiding ? Haven't seen you post for ages.

Yeah

Offline murphys33

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2017, 06:05 »
Thanks Murphy.   Which Passlabs model do you have?  Any tips to make it sound better?   

I had various pre and power models. The last I used was a Pass X350.5. I had the Xp20 which was swapped to a audio ref ref 5se. Pass was under symposium platforms and footers. Pass amps need to left on for at least 2 hours before they start singing. I used to.leave it on 24/7 could not take heat and electricity bill.

Offline mikey8811

• Snr Member
« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2017, 14:02 »
Well, I have to say it is not fully run-in yet as it was delivered last Thursday by High End Research.  It has just gone pass the 30hrs mark and as it is, the sound is very smooth, similar to a tube amp and with very good resolution.  The bass control is superb and I am hearing plenty details.  It is very musical also and this is especially important to me as I am so used to the sound of tube pre and power amps for so many years.  For me, it is a very worthwhile upgrade.

Did you compare the X 0.8 models to the one you bought? Just wondering what the difference in sound is like.

I have a X350.8 which was recommended by Pass for my speakers which have a low impedance dip.

Offline annapurna

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2017, 15:05 »
I had various pre and power models. The last I used was a Pass X350.5. I had the Xp20 which was swapped to a audio ref ref 5se. Pass was under symposium platforms and footers. Pass amps need to left on for at least 2 hours before they start singing. I used to.leave it on 24/7 could not take heat and electricity bill.
Murphy, thanks for your input.  I will be trying out some footers under the amp but the amp runs hot and the limited space above the rack does not help with tall footers such as Cerabase Compact.    Agree that it does improve significantly after the 2nd hour.  I have to put it in on standby mode when not using to reduce the startup time.

Offline annapurna

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2017, 15:07 »
Did you compare the X 0.8 models to the one you bought? Just wondering what the difference in sound is like.

I have a X350.8 which was recommended by Pass for my speakers which have a low impedance dip.
No I have not tried as most of the folks I know are using the XA series which is Pure Class A compared to X series which is AB.    What speakers are you using?

Offline murphys33

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2017, 19:16 »
Murphy, thanks for your input.  I will be trying out some footers under the amp but the amp runs hot and the limited space above the rack does not help with tall footers such as Cerabase Compact.    Agree that it does improve significantly after the 2nd hour.  I have to put it in on standby mode when not using to reduce the startup time.

I would.suggest you consider the gyrotension  Vega as well. I think they are very good.

Offline mikey8811

• Snr Member
« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2017, 22:34 »
No I have not tried as most of the folks I know are using the XA series which is Pure Class A compared to X series which is AB.    What speakers are you using?

Vienna Acoustics Kiss.

Offline annapurna

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2017, 22:46 »
Vienna Acoustics Kiss.

You may wish to contact Colin or Philip from HER and ask them for advice whether changing to the XA.8 series makes a significant improvement compared to your X350.8 driving your current speakers. 

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal