Author Topic: Pass Labs and First Watt amplifiers  (Read 56610 times)

Offline annapurna

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Pass Labs and First Watt amplifiers
« on: January 02, 2017, 21:47 »
Recently I bought a Passlabs power amp which I found to be very good sounding and suit my taste.  I thought maybe I should start a thread on Passlabs so that owners or potential owners can share their experiences.  Attached are some pixs of the amp in my system.

« Last Edit: March 25, 2017, 09:51 by annapurna »
SME20/12 V12 arm, Clearaudio Titanium V2, Pass XP27 Phono, Marantz SA10, CD7, NA11S1, Pass XP22 Pre, Gryphon Mephisto, Sonus Faber Lilium, Kimber PK10 Palladian, Shunyata Alpha Zitron & Yter PC, Yter XLR, bi-wire spkr cables, Nordost Tyr phono cables, PurePower PP+ 3000  Regenerator, TAOC ASR2, Furutech GTX-D NCF(R)

Offline francishuang

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Pass Labs amplifiers
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2017, 21:49 »
Wa...very swee....
How is it?
Shindo is Music

Offline pingpong

• Snr Member
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2017, 21:51 »
thanks for sharing... hope to own them one day

Offline annapurna

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2017, 21:57 »
Wa...very swee....
How is it?

Well, I have to say it is not fully run-in yet as it was delivered last Thursday by High End Research.  It has just gone pass the 30hrs mark and as it is, the sound is very smooth, similar to a tube amp and with very good resolution.  The bass control is superb and I am hearing plenty details.  It is very musical also and this is especially important to me as I am so used to the sound of tube pre and power amps for so many years.  For me, it is a very worthwhile upgrade.
SME20/12 V12 arm, Clearaudio Titanium V2, Pass XP27 Phono, Marantz SA10, CD7, NA11S1, Pass XP22 Pre, Gryphon Mephisto, Sonus Faber Lilium, Kimber PK10 Palladian, Shunyata Alpha Zitron & Yter PC, Yter XLR, bi-wire spkr cables, Nordost Tyr phono cables, PurePower PP+ 3000  Regenerator, TAOC ASR2, Furutech GTX-D NCF(R)

Offline jimi

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2017, 21:59 »
Chio! Will raise ur excellent system by a few more levels!

Offline annapurna

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2017, 22:04 »

It certainly did.  I have never really enjoyed listening to digital in my system as I find its performance far behind my analog setup.  However after having the Passlabs, I realised that I have been listening to my digital playback continuously for the past few days.  Somehow the improvement in sound to digital is significant.  As for analog, the improvement is still there but the gap between digital and analog has narrowed in my setup.

Offline watchdog

• Trade Count: (+6)
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2017, 22:14 »

Wow. Bro, where have you been hiding ? Haven't seen you post for ages.
Less is more !

Offline fgchong

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2017, 08:59 »
Nice. I love amplifiers with meter. :) :) Understand that the sound signature differ from the precious X/XA models...

Offline DJQ

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • PLINIUS The Heart Of Music
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2017, 09:24 »
Hi End indeed  :o
Dynaudio Confidence, Center, Contour SR, IC 17
Plinius CD101, Tautoro, SA103
Denon AVC X8500H, Sony BDP X700, Optoma UHD65
TAOC ASR II, ASR III

Offline pingpong

• Snr Member
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2017, 09:43 »
Nice. I love amplifiers with meter. :) :) Understand that the sound signature differ from the precious X/XA models...

+1, ESP with the blue light..very hypnotising

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline francishuang

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2017, 10:08 »
Lets go hear the XS series!

Shindo is Music

Offline crazysurfer

« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2017, 10:26 »
It has just gone pass the 30hrs mark and as it is, the sound is very smooth, similar to a tube amp and with very good resolution.  The bass control is superb and I am hearing plenty details.  It is very musical also. 
Nice. I love amplifiers with meter. :) :)
+1, ESP with the blue light..very hypnotising

Trying to emulate the familiar look & sound of the legendary Mcintosh Amps?

Offline annapurna

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2017, 10:30 »
The current series point 8 is not as warm as the previous point 5 series and is to me more transparent too.  In some bright systems, the point 5 would be a better choice but for me point 8 suits me perfectly.

Offline annapurna

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2017, 10:33 »
Lets go hear the XS series!

Already heard the XS300 from my friend's setup driving the SF Aida which makes me decide to go for the XA100.8.  XS300 is a different beast altogether as it comes with a separate box power supply and has plenty of power reserve.  It sounds amazing driving the Aida and it is effortless.  Btw, one pair of XS300 can buy 4 pairs of XA100.8. 

Offline annapurna

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2017, 14:26 »
Already heard the XS300 from my friend's setup driving the SF Aida which makes me decide to go for the XA100.8.  XS300 is a different beast altogether as it comes with a separate box power supply and has plenty of power reserve.  It sounds amazing driving the Aida and it is effortless.  Btw, one pair of XS300 can buy 4 pairs of XA100.8. 

Pixs of the excellent Passlabs XS300 amp in my friend's setup shown here.

Note the amp was later stacked together with the external powersupply at the bottom.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal