Author Topic: VINSHINE AUDIO DAC-R2R-REF  (Read 7387 times)

Offline kimurastanley

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: VINSHINE AUDIO DAC-R2R-REF
« Reply #45 on: December 31, 2016, 13:22 »
If want to change the output from var to fixed, just a reminder to switch off the unit first. If not will get distorted sound as Alvin mentioned in the first few posts

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Offline adn6244

« Reply #46 on: December 31, 2016, 13:34 »
Salesman usually over promise to secure the deal one  ;D

Indeed. Salesman being salesman ultimately they want your business.

I know him for a while so the minimum understanding is there. Haha enjoy...

Offline Sunny9036

« Reply #47 on: December 31, 2016, 16:41 »

Hi there do I include my name in the list as such?

Loaner program list:

1st unit
1. Kimurastanley - 1DAC is here
2. Joe-Siow
3. Rickysio
4. Kelvinsin
5. tane0019
6. Redragon118
7. xored
8. xollub
9. Sunny9036

2nd unit
1. watchdog - 2DAC is here
Just sent a burnt in unit to watchdog to review (it's was arranged many weeks ago). So there are two units in the loaner program now  ::)

Loaner program list:

1st unit
2. Joe-Siow
3. Rickysio
4. Kelvinsin
5. tane0019
6. Redragon118
7. xored
8. xollub

2nd unit

Offline alvin1118

• Trade Count: (+4)
    • VINSHINE AUDIO
« Reply #48 on: December 31, 2016, 16:51 »
Thanks for support!

I've updated the loaner program list in the first page post #2 for ease of reference.

Link here to Post#2

Offline zacho

« Reply #49 on: January 01, 2017, 18:52 »
Would love to audition this dac!

Loaner program list:

1st unit
2. Joe-Siow
3. Rickysio
4. Kelvinsin
5. tane0019
6. Redragon118
7. xored
8. xollub

2nd unit
2. zacho

Offline Joe-siow

• Snr Member
« Reply #50 on: January 01, 2017, 20:47 »
Have had the loaner unit since yesterday evening. Some brief impressions before I post a more comprehensive report in a day or 2.

The headphone out is surprisingly good, better than I anticipated. It drove an AKG K702 with authority and FitEar TG334 very well.
The DAC with preamp sounded slightly hazy and soft when I plugged in to drive a Bel Canto REF500S power amp and LS50. I left it on with music playing softly overnight. Significant improvement after a night of playing. Good resolution with an organic presentation, details is forthcoming but never in the face.

Shall listen more and post findings later.
Lumin D1 * Bel Canto REF500S * KEF LS50

Offline gs11tan

« Reply #51 on: January 02, 2017, 09:40 »
Change from fix to var setting. Don't have to off power, just reduce all pre and dac vol control to min, no sound heard . Just tried direct from dac/pre to my power amp, I like the sound.😋😜.

Offline sigmanion

« Reply #52 on: January 03, 2017, 00:45 »
Loaner program list:

1st unit
2. Joe-Siow
3. Rickysio
4. Kelvinsin
5. tane0019
6. Redragon118
7. xored
8. xollub

2nd unit
2. zacho
3. sigmanion

Offline alvin1118

• VINSHINE AUDIO
« Reply #53 on: January 03, 2017, 07:25 »
Okay guys, decided to send another new unit to expedite the loaner program. Here's the updated list.

From now on, bro wish to sign up for the program just post reply in this thread , I will insert you into either of the two queue.

Loaner program list:

1st unit
1. Kimurastanley
2. Joe-Siow - 1DAC is here
3. Rickysio
4. tane0019
5. xored
6. Sunny0936

2nd unit
1. xollub - Arranging 2DAC to deliver
2. Kelvinsin
3. Redragon118
4. zacho
5. sigmanion

Eric HiFi Review Unit
- watchdog - Burnt In DAC is here

« Last Edit: January 03, 2017, 11:33 by alvin1118 »

Offline Joe-siow

• Snr Member
« Reply #54 on: January 03, 2017, 23:41 »
Firstly, my sincere thanks to Alvin for organizing this tour and Stanley for the hassle free delivery. The unit has just been passed to Ricky this evening.

The 3 days spent with the Vinshine DAC has been pretty positive, as this is my first real experience with a R2R DAC. My current setup is the Lumin D1, Amtrans APCG-01S (very generously on loan from a bro), Bel Canto REF500S and KEF LS50. With the Vinshine DAC, listening was done via USB from my laptop with the JRiver software.

I first spent some time on the headphone out to get a feel of the unit. It had a slightly warm and dark signature with a meaty tonality. With my Fitear TG334 on a Toxic Hydra silver litz cable, it delivered a very good performance with pinpoint imaging and quite good separation and details. Soundstage depth was very good with believable width. This was a particularly pleasant surprise, as the headphone out on most DACs usually only deliver decent and unspectacular performances.

With much anticipation, I hooked up the unit to the preamp and powered it. Initial impression was not positive; it sounded hazy and soft, much like the rays from the sun trying hard to shine through dark clouds. I figured that it was just a 5 day old unit and left it to play overnight on soft volume. After a night of playing, as expected, the sound quality improved significantly.

As a dedicated DAC, the signature of the unit very much mirrored the headphone out; slightly warm and dark sounding, with a meaty tonality. It also had a organic and slightly holographic presentation, delivering a smooth and non fatigue listening experience. Despite the meaty tonality, it was not slow sounding, and Rock music sounded right. Resolution is pretty good and details were presented naturally and never in my face or forward. Bass was punchy but could be tighter. Vocals was organic, natural sounding with finesse. Treble was extended and smooth.

In conclusion, there is much to like about the Vinshine DAC. It is slightly warm, organic and smooth while retaining good resolution. The above average headphone amp on board and the ability to be used as a preamp adds much value to the DAC as well.
Lumin D1 * Bel Canto REF500S * KEF LS50

Offline gs11tan

« Reply #55 on: January 04, 2017, 13:43 »
    The Vinshine DAC very good sound is one thing that those bro whose has listened will agreed ,but most important is the after sale service provided by Alvin himself that impressed me ; I just got a Uptone Degen, thinking of further improve the already very good sounding from the USB section, I screwed up my Tellurium Q USB cable (connect from MAC-mini to DAC), couldn't isolate the problem, driving me nut, gave Alvin a all last nite. This morning,armed with his gears and a Usb module, he appear in my door step, after the checking,he found out the problem is actually come from my so-called hi end Usb cable, he took back my cable and want to repair for me.
What more can I say ! ! !

🙏🙏 Alvin👍👍👍👍👍Alvin

Offline alvin1118

• VINSHINE AUDIO
« Reply #56 on: January 04, 2017, 13:56 »
    The Vinshine DAC very good sound is one thing that those bro whose has listened will agreed ,but most important is the after sale service provided by Alvin himself that impressed me ; I just got a Uptone Degen, thinking of further improve the already very good sounding from the USB section, I screwed up my Tellurium Q USB cable (connect from MAC-mini to DAC), couldn't isolate the problem, driving me nut, gave Alvin a all last nite. This morning,armed with his gears and a Usb module, he appear in my door step, after the checking,he found out the problem is actually come from my so-called hi end Usb cable, he took back my cable and want to repair for me.
What more can I say ! ! !

🙏🙏 Alvin👍👍👍👍👍Alvin

Most welcome sir. I still owe a bro a visit, he will be mad if he know i visit you first  :P

Just checked, your USB cable cost 298.80  :o

Probably a bad joint at the USB connector, will fix it for you.

Alvin

Offline gs11tan

« Reply #57 on: January 04, 2017, 22:31 »
It's good but the S$ 160 Usb cable I got it from you a year ago also sound equally good, I am still keeping your Usb cable  ;  I will be using it to connect from my MAC-mini to your Usb stablizer which I can expect to receiving from you in a few days time. Couldn't wait ! !☺️☺️

Offline Kubbie

« Reply #58 on: January 05, 2017, 02:16 »
..My current setup is the Lumin D1, Amtrans APCG-01S (very generously on loan from a bro), Bel Canto REF500S and KEF LS50..

The Amtrans APCG-01S sounds its best with its volume cranked up between 12 - 2/3 o' clock on the dial. Don't be afraid to do so. And no, it will not blow the unit up. Passive unit behaves differently from their active counterpart. Match with a high impedance amplifier (like JOB), one may wonder why an active pre amplifier ever exists.

Enjoy your loaner unit and send my regards to the lender. It has been a while since we last touched grounds.

;D
« Last Edit: January 05, 2017, 02:19 by Kubbie »

Offline Funkyjazz

• Trade Count: (+1)
« Reply #59 on: January 05, 2017, 09:05 »
OT....where to buy the Amtrans APCG-01S ? Is it available locally?