Author Topic: VINSHINE AUDIO DAC-R2R-REF  (Read 7389 times)

Offline alvin1118

• Trade Count: (+4)
    • VINSHINE AUDIO
VINSHINE AUDIO DAC-R2R-REF
« on: November 30, 2016, 05:47 »
Guys,

The long waited DAC has arrived! Some of the bros here had collected the DAC from me. Allow me to start this thread to share some info of the play-ability of the Soekris R2R DAC.

The Soekris R2R board has a built-in uManager, whereby user may program / parameterize the DAC setting (particularly the Filters) to obtain the desire sound by changing the filters selection. The RS-232 serial port is available at the rear panel, you'll need the following to get into the uManager:

1. Computer (Windows based preferred)
2. USB to RS-232 Converter (most computer nowadays doesn't come with this port, you will need a converter)
3. ExtraPutty Software: Link here
4. Filters file compiled by others (or you may compile your own if you know some software skill!)

There are details guide all over the internet to guide you how to connect the computer to the Soekris DAC. I'll just point out a few key steps:

1. Connect USB to RS-232 Converter to the computer
2. In Device Manager, configure the RS-232 port baud rate etc to (115200, 8, n, 1), take note of the COM port #
3. Connect the RS-232 to the RS-232 port at the rear panel of the DAC
4. Power On the DAC
5. Launch ExtraPutty, select Serial connection, the COM port and key in the baud rate, then click Open

6.  The following screen will be shown:

7. Type "+++" (the command to call out the uManager), the command line manual will be shown:

8. Now, you'll see the firmware of the Soekris DAC. All DAC is shipped with latest firmware v1.06
9. Have your desire firmware/filter files ready, key in "download" on the cmd line screen

10. While the download is waiting for a file to be transfered, in ExtraPutty windows, select File Transfer -> Xmodem 1K -> Send. Browse to the firmware/filter file, and you're ready to transfer!

11. When the transfer is completed, you'll see the following display:

12. Type "Set Filter" to change the type of filters. In general, you can choose the following. It depends very much on the type of filter file you loaded to the Soekris DAC. T

set filters = Linear
set filters = Mixed
set filters = Minimum
set filters = Soft

These are some of the useful link online you may like to refer to:
1. Access uManager
2. Soekris Official Site for Firmware Updates
3. Filters discussion thread @ diyaudio

That's about it. Have fun & enjoy the music!

Many thanks.

Rgds,
Alvin Chee

Offline alvin1118

• VINSHINE AUDIO
Re: VINSHINE AUDIO DAC-R2R-REF
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2016, 06:05 »
OPERATION

Operation of the DAC is pretty straight forward. There are three digital input namely USB/AES EBU/COAX. Plug in your digital input to these connection and you're ready to go.

The Amanero USB required a driver for Windows, it can be downloaded here: Download

Depending on your downstream equipment, you may choose to connect either RCA/XLR output.

There are two different output mode, FIXED or VAR.

FIXED Mode
In FIXED mode (toggle switch @ up position), the analog output RCA & XLR is maximum @ 2Vrms & 4Vrms respectively. Also, in FIXED mode the headphone outputs are disabled (no one would like to blast the headphone at max volume i guess?  ;D)

VAR Mode
In VAR mode (toggle switch @ downward position), the analog output RCA & XLR can be controlled by the volume knob. Also the headphone outputs are enabled.

WARNING!
Very important, in FIXED mode, the volume is at max. If your downstream equipment is a power amp, the power amp will be at max volume, your speakers probably cannot take that kind of power. If you like to use the DAC as a preamp for a permanent setup, I'd recommend to block the toggle switch with a pc of small plastic block inserted to the hole of the toggle switch. I did it this way so that my daughter itchy hand cannot toggle the switch to give me a heart attack!  ;D

Also, I'd recommend to power off the unit should you like to change the mode. There is a known feature in Soekris firmware whereby switching to VAR mode, the analog output will be able to adjust to +10dB (> 2Vrms & 4Vrms respectively). When switching back to FIXED mode, the analog output stayed at the +10dB, for some digital input with high signal level, this +10db will result in saturated peak value in some case (layman call it distortion). To mitigate this, always remember to change the mode only when the unit is powered off.

Loaner program list:

1st unit
1. Kimurastanley
2. Joe-Siow - 1DAC is here
3. Rickysio
4. tane0019
5. xored
6. Sunny0936

2nd unit
1. xollub - Arranging 2DAC to deliver
2. Kelvinsin
3. Redragon118
4. zacho
5. sigmanion

Eric HiFi Review Unit
- watchdog - Burnt In DAC is here
« Last Edit: January 03, 2017, 11:33 by alvin1118 »

Offline gs11tan

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2016, 10:27 »
Collected my unit last nite, connect my MAC mini to this unit via USB cable, using as pre/Dac, connect to Diva pre M7 >>> Blu Sky power >>> Thiel SC 2.4, love it !!🌞👍👍👍👍👍.

Offline alvin1118

• VINSHINE AUDIO
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2016, 11:09 »
Collected my unit last nite, connect my MAC mini to this unit via USB cable, using as pre/Dac, connect to Diva pre M7 >>> Blu Sky power >>> Thiel SC 2.4, love it !!🌞👍👍👍👍👍.

Many thanks for support Mr Tan, enjoy the music!

Offline adn6244

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2016, 08:49 »
Collected mine on Tuesday night and only have chance to play few random tracks (redbook and hires jazz, classical and new age) late last night.

The DAC is automatically recognised by the Auralic Aries mini, when the blue lights stop blinking, that's when the magic or music start to flow. And the amp finally can flex it's muscle with the fully balanced output  feeding by the DAC to preamp and power amp upon its arrival.

In such short time before the DAC has fully settled into the man cave, I am still getting used to the sound. But for sure it has very good clarity, separation even brand new out of the box and at low volume.

Hope to hear more when it's warmed up to the new home. Thanks Alvin for the MO.

Offline pegasus21

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2016, 10:27 »
Got mine yesterday. The build quality is top notch and chassis is very solid.

As for the sound, it's pretty much in line with the general opinion. It's a little warm sounding but highly resolving. It's definitely worth a try.

Offline gs11tan

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2016, 13:17 »
Have been listening hours after hours, I thought my Yulong Sabre DA8 has given my the pleasure of enjoying music, this new Dac is even better, both USB and coaxial are simply magical.

Offline alvin1118

• VINSHINE AUDIO
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2016, 13:35 »
Collected mine on Tuesday night and only have chance to play few random tracks (redbook and hires jazz, classical and new age) late last night.

The DAC is automatically recognised by the Auralic Aries mini, when the blue lights stop blinking, that's when the magic or music start to flow. And the amp finally can flex it's muscle with the fully balanced output  feeding by the DAC to preamp and power amp upon its arrival.

In such short time before the DAC has fully settled into the man cave, I am still getting used to the sound. But for sure it has very good clarity, separation even brand new out of the box and at low volume.

Hope to hear more when it's warmed up to the new home. Thanks Alvin for the MO.

Thanks for strong suppork!  ;D

Got mine yesterday. The build quality is top notch and chassis is very solid.

As for the sound, it's pretty much in line with the general opinion. It's a little warm sounding but highly resolving. It's definitely worth a try.

Yep, tonal balance and musicality of R2R DAC are awesome. Enjoy!  8)

Have been listening hours after hours, I thought my Yulong Sabre DA8 has given my the pleasure of enjoying music, this new Dac is even better, both USB and coaxial are simply magical.

Glad that the DAC is performing well in your system Mr. Tan.  :o

Offline naimster

• My system
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2016, 17:44 »
Nice.

The USB port is also the I2S port?
There’s no point in having great presentation unless you have the content. I’d far rather talk to Einstein on the telephone than talk face to face to a doorman in a hotel. - Julian Vereker, Founder of Naim

Offline alvin1118

• VINSHINE AUDIO
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2016, 18:08 »
Bor la, it's ang mo Italy Amanero USB to I2S module .

Offline boring

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2016, 18:21 »
No I2S input on this DAC. I2S would make singxer the perfect partner for this DAC.

Just started using this R2R. Separation is good out of box. Will let it run for a few days before I listen to it seriously.

Offline naimster

• My system
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2016, 20:27 »
Next revision should add a input to  switch between amanero and i2s. Haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
There’s no point in having great presentation unless you have the content. I’d far rather talk to Einstein on the telephone than talk face to face to a doorman in a hotel. - Julian Vereker, Founder of Naim

Offline alvin1118

• VINSHINE AUDIO
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2016, 23:04 »
Have a few sets on-hand, interested to get a set to listen with your system bor ?  ;D

Offline adn6244

« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2016, 00:26 »
Play few more albums tonight. Canton high res to 16 bit Norah Jones..... The sound is getting smoother and separation is really good. Too bad need to work tomorrow. To be continued......

Offline naimster

• My system
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2016, 09:04 »
Have a few sets on-hand, interested to get a set to listen with your system bor ?  ;D
I check with my TNS friend if he's keen. He's looking for a preamp with balanced out and don't mind getting one with built in DAC.