Author Topic: Amazon coming to Singapore?  (Read 14103 times)

Offline petetherock

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Sidere Mens Eadem Mutato
    • My Music, Movie and Equipment Musings...
Amazon coming to Singapore?
« on: November 02, 2016, 16:45 »
https://techcrunch.com/2016/11/01/amazon-southeast-asia/

Amazon is ready to enlarge its presence in Asia. Months after it pumped $3 billion into its India business and a week after it quietly introduced its Prime service in China, plans for its entry into Southeast Asia next year have surfaced.

The U.S. retail giant doesn’t currently offer local services in Southeast Asia, but it is working to enter the region via a launch in Singapore. Amazon is covertly acquiring assets, including refrigerated trucks, and making new hires as part of an initiative led by head of ASEAN Steven Scrive, two sources close to the company told TechCrunch. The current plan is to launch selected services in Singapore within the first quarter of 2017, one source added.

Amazon declined to respond to a request for comment.

The U.S. company is likely to initially offer its Prime delivery service alongside its AmazonFresh grocery service, in Singapore, we understand. Earlier this year, Amazon made an offer to acquire Redmart, a grocery delivery startup in Singapore backed by Facebook co-founder Eduardo Saverin, but the bid was deemed too low and rejected. We reported last week that Redmart is in talks to be acquired by Lazada, the e-commerce firm that Alibaba invested $1 billion in earlier this year. Amazon declined to reenter acquisition talks, despite contact from Redmart, instead deciding to built out its own operations.

Southeast Asia is home to over 600 million consumers and, while online is estimated to account for less than five percent of all commerce today, its digital economy is tipped to grow significantly over the next decade. Already, Alibaba has stepped into the region via investments in Lazada, delivery firm SingPost, and payments company Ascend Money. Amazon competes fiercely with Alibaba-backed Paytm, Flipkart and Snapdeal in India, and it has decided that now is the time to join its rival in Southeast Asia.

There’s been speculative talk that Amazon is harboring plans to Indonesia, the world’s fourth most populous country and Southeast Asia’s largest economy, but sources told us that Amazon is fully focused on expanding into Singapore at this point.

That makes a lot of sense because Singapore is not only smaller and easier to service from an operational perspective, but the level of customer spend and consumer culture is more closely aligned with Western markets where Amazon thrives. Other emerging markets will take great levels of adapting, leaving Singapore as an obvious first landing point and general hub/HQ for the region.
Please post instead of sending a pm, so more can learn.

My gear:
https://peteswrite.blogspot.com/2020/02/my-setup-22020.html

Offline naglfar

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forever Underground
Re: Amazon coming to Singapore?
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2016, 16:55 »
This would be a big, big blow to B&M shops
Love your music, not your equipment.

Offline Hass

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2016, 17:09 »
what does it mean to us? we are already enjoying free shipping for some items... lower shipping costs for the rest? Or will we be able to get stuffs currently not able to ship to sg?

Offline Knight_Rider

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2016, 17:41 »
Newegg already here isn't Amazon a bit late?

http://www.newegg.com/global/sg

Offline ralfale

• Trade Count: (+1)
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2016, 17:54 »
This should be true. Heard about this from some unofficial source in amazon singapore that they have been preparing for the launch. With so many online stores coming, i worry for shops like Challenger. They have been on downward sales trend quarter to quarter and the arrival of such competition will be the nail in the coffin.

Offline chewed

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2016, 18:19 »
And bulk of the staff they hire are non Singaporeans

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Offline BozQ

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2016, 18:33 »
Amazon don't really have the best work environment. I don't expect many Singaporeans to take up the job.

Also if we talk about Blu-rays, I doubt we'll be getting a lot of US release from Amazon SG/SEA.

Offline petetherock

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2016, 18:47 »
IMO, it could be a subsidiary of their USA site, so it allows dissemination of some of their other stuff, then they invite local traders to sell via their website, kust like what happens on Amazon USA..

My gear:

Offline petetherock

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2016, 19:40 »
Who knows, we might have a nice local Black Friday sale this year  :)

My gear:

Offline Tiktokape

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Nothing to compare, be happy and enjoy while alive
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2016, 20:21 »
Imo, Amazon has been a lagger to penetrate the SEA markets other than their current presence in Japan & China, it is seeing the breakage of monopoly built over years since the aggressiveness taken by Alibaba to hit US market. it's about time since they have been shaping up logistic infrastructure and shipping networks to the rest of the world.

The sole appeal factor is their global audiences for 3rd party resellers BUT it is a very tight space in SG - eBay, Lazada, Ali-express, Qoo10 etc.

Their current strength right now is contents in Prime, for SG, I bet it will hit the wall like Netflix SG.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline louco73

• Louco73's Place on the Internet
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2016, 21:47 »
Amazon don't really have the best work environment. I don't expect many Singaporeans to take up the job.

Based on the NYT article or from personal experience?
http://www.louco73.com to see some of my home theatre and hi-fi journey.

Offline BozQ

« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2016, 00:49 »
Based on the NYT article or from personal experience?
From articles I read. Of course, you may disagree if you've had personal experience.

Offline louco73

• Louco73's Place on the Internet
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2016, 01:50 »
From articles I read. Of course, you may disagree if you've had personal experience.

Like they say, don't believe everything you read. Check out the Singapore office link below. If you scroll down enough you can see beer on tap, table tennis, a pool table and a bunch of happy people. It can't be that bad!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Amazon-Web-Services/251681081550746
http://www.louco73.com to see some of my home theatre and hi-fi journey.

Offline chrisnew

• Trade Count: (+1)
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2016, 02:13 »
Singapore office currently is AWS only. I been to the office myself and know several people there. It's definitely not a bad place to work,  harsh maybe but nothing out of the corporate norm.

What I can't say is if the main amazon entity is the same.

As the saying goes, there is no smoke without fire

Sent from my MI 5s using Tapatalk

Offline Tiktokape

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Nothing to compare, be happy and enjoy while alive
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2016, 07:54 »
Singapore office currently is AWS only. I been to the office myself and know several people there. It's definitely not a bad place to work,  harsh maybe but nothing out of the corporate norm.

What I can't say is if the main amazon entity is the same.

As the saying goes, there is no smoke without fire

Sent from my MI 5s using Tapatalk
Then they are putting money in the correct place

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal