Author Topic: Oppo UDP 203 & 205 UHD players  (Read 166383 times)

Offline crazysurfer

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Oppo UDP 203 & 205 UHD players
« Reply #1140 on: April 04, 2019, 18:08 »

Just saw this on amazon today, got a shock ! Close to $4k

But it’s the best UHD player for me....No turning back

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
+1

Offline ronildoq

• Trade Count: (+2)
« Reply #1141 on: April 04, 2019, 18:11 »
Haha, don’t worry so much about the future, enjoy what we have now! I’ve been enjoying the quality of the Oppo 20* for almost 2 years now, first from 203 and then 205. It’s the best in terms of sound quality and not bad for its video. Very stable, plays anything u throw at it

The analog 7.1 out with Sabre pro 9038 is TOP notch quality. Too bad no Atmos.

FYI

The Oppo 205 analog, I tested the vocals and dynamic range and found that it is better than the Lyngdorf when both are neutral non EQ. AB comparison plug out plug in same scene

None of the avr in the market can beat this Oppo 205 for 7.1 when it comes to dynamic range, clarity and details

The Sabre dac 9038 is too good , that’s my finding so far. Very good for those just using 7.1

Offline Andreasgursky

• Snr Member
« Reply #1142 on: April 04, 2019, 19:53 »
Haha, don’t worry so much about the future, enjoy what we have now! I’ve been enjoying the quality of the Oppo 20* for almost 2 years now, first from 203 and then 205. It’s the best in terms of sound quality and not bad for its video. Very stable, plays anything u throw at it

The analog 7.1 out with Sabre pro 9038 is TOP notch quality. Too bad no Atmos.

FYI

The Oppo 205 analog, I tested the vocals and dynamic range and found that it is better than the Lyngdorf when both are neutral non EQ. AB comparison plug out plug in same scene

None of the avr in the market can beat this Oppo 205 for 7.1 when it comes to dynamic range, clarity and details

The Sabre dac 9038 is too good , that’s my finding so far. Very good for those just using 7.1

Hi bro ! Would you sacrifice dynamic range / details / clarity for atmos, dtsx etc when using a player for movies ? Ie. Would you rather use the OPPO 205 or AVR Eg. Denon 8500 for movies

Offline YANG

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #1143 on: April 05, 2019, 01:06 »
if Panasonic UHD player can jailbreak or modifyable。。。that can take the throne from OPPO perhaps。。。
Pioneer is just too costly to start。

Offline ngsk

« Reply #1144 on: April 05, 2019, 08:14 »
Yes the price of the Panasonic DP-UB9000 was good but too bad it can't do dvd-audio & sacd,no go for those who have lots of dvd-audio & sacd collection.
Another thing is u need a preamp for this player n the Pioneer 1 as they don't have volume control like the OPPO 20X player.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2019, 08:23 by ngsk »

Offline ronildoq

« Reply #1145 on: April 05, 2019, 08:56 »

Hi bro ! Would you sacrifice dynamic range / details / clarity for atmos, dtsx etc when using a player for movies ? Ie. Would you rather use the OPPO 205 or AVR Eg. Denon 8500 for movies

Here is my take after experiencing with Onkyo rz5100 (Atmos) to Oppo 205 7.1 analog(non Atmos)  to Lyngdorf Mp50 (Atmos)

When I was on Onkyo, the clarity and dynamic range was way far apart that I’d rather have 7.1 than the Atmos. I was on that for some time. I found that a good sounding 7.1 is far more satisfying than average Atmos. Despite the Onkyo having the upper hand playing a good source file from Atmos and DTSx, it was nowhere near the analog 7.1 of the oppp, even the Denon 6200 I had. It was a pretty clear choice to go with the Oppo 205. Both were used in conjunction with Dirac live ddrc88a EQ

Enter lyngdorf with Atmos and it’s a different ball game. Several levels up. The strengths of the lyngdorf lies in the room EQ software called Room Perfect. This is one of the best room EQ software as of now. What it does is it handles every speakers (including Atmos) very well with the subwoofers, blending in the time domain. This is something the Oppo cannot do. Suddenly the entire soundstage is so immersive and clean sounding that the subtle dynamic range the Oppo has over the lyngdorf is not being missed. The thousands of first reflections are being managed nicely by the EQ programme in the time domain, as a result, every speakers seem to be decaying at the right rate.... fading off slowly, retaining the liveliness. The room modes are eliminated and u actually start hearing the speakers and not the room. The dtsx and Atmos soundtrack gives the lyngdorf a head start now. Overall immersive experience improves significantly over the 7.1 clear sounding Oppo 205.

That’s my experience so far. So it really depends on the avr or processor u use.

Atmos is good to have, but u must remember, the more speaker you introduce in the chain, the more problems you would have to solve, so it’s not easy because 7.1 is easier to manage, unless u have good room EQ or manual Optimisation work

I’ve no experience with Denon 8500 so can’t really advice.

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Bring the "Cinema experience" back home...
« Reply #1146 on: April 05, 2019, 09:08 »
if Panasonic UHD player can jailbreak or modifyable。。。that can take the throne from OPPO perhaps。。。
Pioneer is just too costly to start。

I signed up as contributor to that site to get my hands on the enhanced (JB) firmware for my Panny UB-420 and its almost 1 week now and no sound no picture from the team.

Offline Andreasgursky

• Snr Member
« Reply #1147 on: April 09, 2019, 11:49 »
Here is my take after experiencing with Onkyo rz5100 (Atmos) to Oppo 205 7.1 analog(non Atmos)  to Lyngdorf Mp50 (Atmos)

When I was on Onkyo, the clarity and dynamic range was way far apart that I’d rather have 7.1 than the Atmos. I was on that for some time. I found that a good sounding 7.1 is far more satisfying than average Atmos. Despite the Onkyo having the upper hand playing a good source file from Atmos and DTSx, it was nowhere near the analog 7.1 of the oppp, even the Denon 6200 I had. It was a pretty clear choice to go with the Oppo 205. Both were used in conjunction with Dirac live ddrc88a EQ

Enter lyngdorf with Atmos and it’s a different ball game. Several levels up. The strengths of the lyngdorf lies in the room EQ software called Room Perfect. This is one of the best room EQ software as of now. What it does is it handles every speakers (including Atmos) very well with the subwoofers, blending in the time domain. This is something the Oppo cannot do. Suddenly the entire soundstage is so immersive and clean sounding that the subtle dynamic range the Oppo has over the lyngdorf is not being missed. The thousands of first reflections are being managed nicely by the EQ programme in the time domain, as a result, every speakers seem to be decaying at the right rate.... fading off slowly, retaining the liveliness. The room modes are eliminated and u actually start hearing the speakers and not the room. The dtsx and Atmos soundtrack gives the lyngdorf a head start now. Overall immersive experience improves significantly over the 7.1 clear sounding Oppo 205.

That’s my experience so far. So it really depends on the avr or processor u use.

Atmos is good to have, but u must remember, the more speaker you introduce in the chain, the more problems you would have to solve, so it’s not easy because 7.1 is easier to manage, unless u have good room EQ or manual Optimisation work

I’ve no experience with Denon 8500 so can’t really advice.
Thanks bro for the clear and detailed feedback !

Offline nickyviii

• Snr Member
« Reply #1148 on: April 13, 2019, 14:23 »
hi guys, i wish to unlock the firmware in my 203 and 205. is there anyone that can help?
please send me a message if you have any contacts to share thank you

hi mods, if this topic is inappropriate, pls let me know and i will delete my post thank you
« Last Edit: April 13, 2019, 14:25 by nickyviii »

Offline ronildoq

« Reply #1149 on: May 04, 2019, 14:07 »
So far my experience with Energizer has no leak issues. Had leak issues with Duracell.

See the leak on Energizer alkaline , luckily it’s non important stuff, it’s just automatic dustbin that uses battery

Nowadays so many fake Energizer batteries

Luckily not using any of these for the remote

Offline Audiolab

« Reply #1150 on: May 04, 2019, 15:28 »
Just curious, your comments on fake energizier batteries. So you are suspecting your energizer is fake and that’s why leak?

I guess I am the lucky one. I only buy energizer from proper shops and since Amazon was in Singapore, through Amazon. I always check expiry date. No issue so far.

See the leak on Energizer alkaline , luckily it’s non important stuff, it’s just automatic dustbin that uses battery

Nowadays so many fake Energizer batteries

Luckily not using any of these for the remote

Offline ronildoq

« Reply #1151 on: May 04, 2019, 19:25 »
Just curious, your comments on fake energizier batteries. So you are suspecting your energizer is fake and that’s why leak?

I guess I am the lucky one. I only buy energizer from proper shops and since Amazon was in Singapore, through Amazon. I always check expiry date. No issue so far.

Yea, bought it from some “value dollar “ shop, think it’s made in Vietnam. So the suspicion, true enough, managed to spot one case

Offline Audiolab

Offline kelvinsin

« Reply #1153 on: May 04, 2019, 19:32 »
https://www.energizer.com/about-batteries/no-leaks-guarantee
Good to know that. I used GP on 203 controller had same issue too. Will try energizer since has guarantee!
HT: Pioneer LX-89, Emotiva XPA-5, Dali Ikon 7 MK2, Tannoy Revolution DC6Tse, Tannoy Revolution Signature DC6LCR, Deft Tech Pro Monitor 800,Dali Lektor 2,HSU ULS15 MK2, Velodyne SPL800i, Zidoo x9s,Philips S9700, Oppo 203, LG OLED65C8P
Stereo: Auralic Altair, Music Fidelity M6i

Offline ronildoq

Oppo UDP 203 & 205 UHD players
« Reply #1154 on: May 31, 2019, 20:53 »
This is a very simple and very effective upgrade, placed under the Oppo player, with the rubber ring at the bottom and the spikes facing up

Tried, tested, works ! Solid stuff from divini

Highly recommended !

« Last Edit: May 31, 2019, 21:05 by ronildoq »