Author Topic: Oppo UDP 203 & 205 UHD players  (Read 149047 times)

Offline crazysurfer

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Oppo UDP 203 & 205 UHD players
« Reply #1125 on: March 10, 2019, 11:50 »
There is a possibility that this update may include HDR10+ since Oppo is also one of the participating brands backing HDR10+.

Funny how the 2 major players all exited the Blu-ray player market even before HDR10+ rolled out. Samsung at least going to implement HDR10+ in their flagship phones.

Yes according to report @avsforum OPPO UDP 205 thread although it didn't indicated,it's in the beta FW also. The main features of this update are added HDR10+ & Dolby Vision pass through on HDMI input on the 20x player.

Thanks bro Des & ngsk. Really looking forward to it.

Anyone tried updating it and face any issues and what are the improvements, if any?

Also any advice on how to update the unit bought from James @ Sound Affairs using a thumb drive, since their unit have the network update feature disabled?

Thanks for any advice given.

Offline bluepill193

• Trade Count: (+1)
« Reply #1126 on: March 10, 2019, 12:09 »
Eh I thought I updated FW for my 203 a few weeks ago and got the HDMI in bypass feature oredi?

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Bring the "Cinema experience" back home...
Oppo UDP 203 & 205 UHD players
« Reply #1127 on: March 10, 2019, 12:10 »
Thanks bro Des & ngsk. Really looking forward to it.

Anyone tried updating it and face any issues and what are the improvements, if any?

Also any advice on how to update the unit bought from James @ Sound Affairs using a thumb drive, since their unit have the network update feature disabled?

Thanks for any advice given.

Oh...I didn’t know Sound Affairs Oppo players disabled the Network update? I guess probably to prevent user from accidentally updating the latest firmware and render the jailbreak firmware broken.

Anyway, there is still another way to do the update which you already pointed out - i.e. to use the USB update by uploading the .bin file into the root folder of a USB thumb drive to perform the update.

Take note, I no longer have Oppo player in my arsenal. Sold off my Oppo 203 a long long time ago. And I’m kind of regret it but life goes on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline crazysurfer

« Reply #1128 on: March 10, 2019, 12:25 »
Oh...I didn’t know Sound Affairs Oppo players disabled the Network update? I guess probably to prevent user from accidentally updating the latest firmware and render the jailbreak firmware broken.

Anyway, there is still another way to do the update which you already pointed out - i.e. to use the USB update by uploading the .bin file into the root folder of a USB thumb drive to perform the update.

Take note, I no longer have Oppo player in my arsenal. Sold off my Oppo 203 a long long time ago. And I’m kind of regret it but life goes on.

Thanks bro des again for the prompt advice.

Unfortunately, being a noob in IT, I am not familiar on how to use a usb thumb drive to download a file from the web and then to the Oppo and I worry any wrong move will render my Oppo setting inop so dare not try & error on this and will appreciate anybody familiar to guide me to do that? Tried reading the Oppo Manual but don't think I can grasp its entirety though.

Offline kelvinsin

• Trade Count: (+2)
« Reply #1129 on: March 10, 2019, 13:26 »
Thanks bro des again for the prompt advice.

Unfortunately, being a noob in IT, I am not familiar on how to use a usb thumb drive to download a file from the web and then to the Oppo and I worry any wrong move will render my Oppo setting inop so dare not try & error on this and will appreciate anybody familiar to guide me to do that? Tried reading the Oppo Manual but don't think I can grasp its entirety though.

SA not disabled the network update, just they not recommend to do so else the latest firmware will overwrite the jailbreak and become stock firmware set. Just either use usb or network to upgrade if u wan latest firmware. Its quite easy and straight forward.
HT: Pioneer LX-89, Emotiva XPA-5, Dali Ikon 7 MK2, Tannoy Revolution DC6Tse, Tannoy Revolution Signature DC6LCR, Deft Tech Pro Monitor 800,Dali Lektor 2,HSU ULS15 MK2, Zidoo x9s,Philips S9700, Oppo 203, LG OLED65C8P
Stereo: Auralic Altair, Music Fidelity M6i

Offline crazysurfer

« Reply #1130 on: March 10, 2019, 14:32 »
SA not disabled the network update, just they not recommend to do so else the latest firmware will overwrite the jailbreak and become stock firmware set. Just either use usb or network to upgrade if u wan latest firmware. Its quite easy and straight forward.

Bro Kelvinsin, it's confirmed network upgrading has been disabled for the latest batch of Oppo with -625 firmware. I'd tried and it's confirmed disabled and also verified by James and mentioned in the manuel, as well.

So anyone tried using the thumb drive to update, can let me know how to go about it and any issues faced?

Any help and advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Offline kelvinsin

HT: Pioneer LX-89, Emotiva XPA-5, Dali Ikon 7 MK2, Tannoy Revolution DC6Tse, Tannoy Revolution Signature DC6LCR, Deft Tech Pro Monitor 800,Dali Lektor 2,HSU ULS15 MK2, Zidoo x9s,Philips S9700, Oppo 203, LG OLED65C8P
Stereo: Auralic Altair, Music Fidelity M6i

Offline ngsk

« Reply #1132 on: March 10, 2019, 20:08 »
Bro Kelvinsin, it's confirmed network upgrading has been disabled for the latest batch of Oppo with -625 firmware. I'd tried and it's confirmed disabled and also verified by James and mentioned in the manuel, as well.

So anyone tried using the thumb drive to update, can let me know how to go about it and any issues faced?

Any help and advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Bro,FYI local bought 20x series player from SA are Taiwan set can only download FW from the link I posted with usb update only. Those 203 bought from the ex-dealer are USA set download FW from the link kelvinsin post.
On that Taiwan link click on this: 20系列韌體:UDP20XTW-65-0131
The FW will be downloaded as a .bin file,copy to a thumb drive plug into the 20x usb port click ok on the pop up ask new FW found whether to update n done liao.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2019, 21:25 by ngsk »

Offline crazysurfer

« Reply #1133 on: March 11, 2019, 00:09 »
Bro,FYI local bought 20x series player from SA are Taiwan set can only download FW from the link I posted with usb update only. Those 203 bought from the ex-dealer are USA set download FW from the link kelvinsin post.
The FW will be downloaded as a .bin file,copy to a thumb drive plug into the 20x usb port click ok on the pop up ask new FW found whether to update n done liao.

Thanks ngsk, done that and it worked but don't see any difference leh, other than the firmware version changed, all other details remained the same leh.
Is this correct or should I expect to see some new features added to the menu selection or some visible improvement in performance?

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Bring the "Cinema experience" back home...
« Reply #1134 on: March 11, 2019, 07:08 »
Thanks ngsk, done that and it worked but don't see any difference leh, other than the firmware version changed, all other details remained the same leh.
Is this correct or should I expect to see some new features added to the menu selection or some visible improvement in performance?

Info is all there...just need to read in its entirety. Not much change.

Comparing to the previous Official release version UDP20X-60-0625, the major changes included in this version are:

1. Added the "HDMI IN BYPASS" mode for Dolby Vision passthrough via HDMI In.
2. General fixes and disc compatibility improvements based on recent and upcoming UHD Blu-ray releases as well as user-submitted samples.

Offline ngsk

« Reply #1135 on: March 11, 2019, 08:01 »
The changes in Chinese:
特別說明:
對於韌體版本為UDP20XTW-42-0329或更早版本的用戶,請先安裝UDP20XTW-45-0605韌體,才可升級至UDP20XTW-65-0131最新版本韌體。
與上次正式版UDP20XTW-60-0625韌體相比,本版本韌體主要進行了如下改進:
1、新增了HDR 10+功能(電視和碟片都需支持HDR 10+)。
2、新增了HDMI IN BYPASS功能。
3、解决了Paramount公司迴響“Grease:Live”碟片播放不同步問題。
4、解决了與三星電視的ARC不相容性問題。
5、解决了4K轉1080P後荧幕左邊出現綠線的問題。
6、解决了205碟機在播放MQA CD,讀碟的譟音變大問題。
7、解决了個別M4a檔案播放出現audio drop問題。
8、基於近期和即將發佈的UHD藍光碟片以及用戶提交的樣本做相容性改進。
1. is added HDR10+ support,2. is added bypass for Dolby Vision on hdmi input.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2019, 08:03 by ngsk »

Offline ronildoq

« Reply #1136 on: March 11, 2019, 08:41 »

+1, it’s that simple actually.

Ps : take not that after every firmware update, you would want to erase persistent storage and reset the player to factory default. This step is important as it helps with many reported post firmware update issues

I’m still on June 18 0625 version. Very stable and no issues. Haven’t moved on to the 2019 update that allows HDR10+ pass through . It’s better to wait and see if there is any reported issue before the update, once updated, it cannot be downgraded to previous version

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline bluepill193

• Trade Count: (+1)
« Reply #1137 on: March 11, 2019, 10:27 »
The HDMI in bypass now allows me to get DV via Chromecast ultra.