Author Topic: Help! My system sounded unbalanced...  (Read 14204 times)

Offline aloychan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Always a Master & an Apprentice, no more no less.
Re:Help! My system sounded unbalanced...
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2002, 08:44 »
Lord Hawke, hope you enjoy the Rotel RCD-02 as much as I do.

Just my 2Cents.

Offline Lord Hawke

• Snr Member
  • Soli Deo Gloria
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2002, 09:59 »

Lord Hawke, hope you enjoy the Rotel RCD-02 as much as I do.

Check out my latest replies.  Thanx for your help and advice!  And of course, the tuner and cdp  ;)

LH

```-0
----|----
  --|--
~~~/ \
Lord Hawke

heeyeng

« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2002, 11:58 »
Thanks for all the feedback guys. Well I did a lot of experiment yesterday night, and here's some of my observation for sharing:

Method 1: use radio mono signal from discman, set to no station region (so only hissing), use only right channel, and plug in to right input, then left input of amp
Findings 1: strange but true, very little difference, but there is, right channel is slight forward, left channel is slight layback
Conclusion 1: amplification of left and right channel is slightly different

Method 2: use the same signal, this time using both left and right input signal, and only plug in to right input of amp
Findings 2: to my surprise, the left and right source also sounded different, albeit it's mono, right is slight clearer, left is slight muff
Conclusion 2: source also make a difference in left and right

Many precaution was taking into concern (I didn't list out all) so please don't doubt on the trueness of this result... of course you can always do this experiment yourself.

So finally, what's the BIG conclusion, since amp amplified differently, source giving mono signal also differently? What I feel is, after some more test, although left source and right source are different, actually they sounded best when, left source amplified by left amp, and right source amplified by right amp.

Then from there I kind of observe, the genuine reason I feel that my system sounded more from the right, it's because in general my system is a bit too bright. I said before right channel produces more treble.

Now to confirm that again, I now try a warm speaker cable, and only to use on the HF of speaker. LF left untouched.

Walla! The vocals now sounded exactly dead centre! No more slight bias to the right!

I guess this could also answers the doubt of some previous reply, whereby you change your amp (the HK), or your cdp (the rotel), your system suddenly sounded balance again! Do you also notice at the same time your system sounded less bright?

So from there, I now have developed a rule of thumb for analysing a system: if the system sounded slight bias to the right, it may just be too bright. If it's balance, then you're getting there... some more little treat and tricks, you'll get a satisfying system! And That's What I Call Audiophile!

;D Thanks guys for reading, just to share with you 'cause I'm kind of excited to get this findings. Well maybe you'll still have doubt on the result. Well I have less doubt on myself, because I believe I have good hearing, because I played instruments, and I have tested and able to tell a 20khz signal.  :P

Just my 2 cents!  ;)
« Last Edit: April 30, 2002, 13:03 by heeyeng »

Offline hw

« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2002, 12:02 »
i salute u for your patience and persistence!!!
at least your efforts did not go wasted :)

thanks for sharing!

Offline domho8

« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2002, 12:16 »
Heeyeng

IMHO your 2 cents is really worth it.  :)

Offline Lord Hawke

• Snr Member
  • Soli Deo Gloria
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2002, 13:49 »

Walla! The vocals now sounded exactly dead centre! No more slight bias to the right!

I guess this could also answers the doubt of some previous reply, whereby you change your amp (the HK), or your cdp (the rotel), your system suddenly sounded balance again! Do you also notice at the same time your system sounded less bright?

Good show heeyeng! Wow, that's a fair bit of investigative deduction there.  Will take some time to digest it.  Maybe you're right....

Oh and btw, it's 'Voila' not 'Walla'.   ;)

LH

```-0
----|----
  --|--
~~~/ \
Lord Hawke

Offline chucks

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2002, 13:52 »
well done heeyeng and thanks for sharing.

patience and determination pays off in the end. may be tiring but thats wat makes it fun, rite?

heeyeng

« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2002, 01:10 »
First of all thanks everyone for your comments! You made my day. :)

So in this case, can we simulate a case where the left channel is driving the right speaker and the right channel driving the left speaker, while maintaining the 'correct' stereo when we listen?

Since you're using the right channel of amp to drive the left speaker, the slight enhance of treble now comes from the left speaker. Totally to do with amp, nothing to do with speaker...
« Last Edit: May 01, 2002, 01:12 by heeyeng »

Offline yapks

« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2002, 12:01 »

Thanks for all the feedback guys. Well I did a lot of experiment yesterday night, and here's some of my observation for sharing:

Method 1: use radio mono signal from discman, set to no station region (so only hissing), use only right channel, and plug in to right input, then left input of amp
Findings 1: strange but true, very little difference, but there is, right channel is slight forward, left channel is slight layback
Conclusion 1: amplification of left and right channel is slightly different

Method 2: use the same signal, this time using both left and right input signal, and only plug in to right input of amp
Findings 2: to my surprise, the left and right source also sounded different, albeit it's mono, right is slight clearer, left is slight muff
Conclusion 2: source also make a difference in left and right

Many precaution was taking into concern (I didn't list out all) so please don't doubt on the trueness of this result... of course you can always do this experiment yourself.

So finally, what's the BIG conclusion, since amp amplified differently, source giving mono signal also differently? What I feel is, after some more test, although left source and right source are different, actually they sounded best when, left source amplified by left amp, and right source amplified by right amp.

Then from there I kind of observe, the genuine reason I feel that my system sounded more from the right, it's because in general my system is a bit too bright. I said before right channel produces more treble.

Now to confirm that again, I now try a warm speaker cable, and only to use on the HF of speaker. LF left untouched.

So from there, I now have developed a rule of thumb for analysing a system: if the system sounded slight bias to the right, it may just be too bright. If it's balance, then you're getting there... some more little treat and tricks, you'll get a satisfying system! And That's What I Call Audiophile!

;D Thanks guys for reading, just to share with you 'cause I'm kind of excited to get this findings. Well maybe you'll still have doubt on the result. Well I have less doubt on myself, because I believe I have good hearing, because I played instruments, and I have tested and able to tell a 20khz signal.  :P

Just my 2 cents!  ;)

if the system sounded slight bias to the right, it may just be too bright.
change your amp (the HK), or your cdp (the rotel), your system suddenly sounded balance again! Do you also notice at the same time your system sounded less bright?
end of quote

To summarise your finding
1. Bright sounding equipment is bias more to the right.
2. A balance system sounded less bright. Because manufacturers tame the brightness in the right channel to achieve the balance

.....?

heeyeng

« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2002, 10:34 »
To summarise your finding
1. Bright sounding equipment is bias more to the right.
2. A balance system sounded less bright. Because manufacturers tame the brightness in the right channel to achieve the balance

I generally don't dare to make any 'solid' confirmation as to whether this is correct, just some personal findings... well your 1st point is what I found. And your 2nd point, no I don't know whether manufacturer will be doing something like that.

I can't be so sure of all those findings, mainly due to my lacking of knowledge in building an amp, there's no theory to support it. So sometimes I thought, isn't it be good if I can work for a company building hifi components? I'll sure be very dedicated to it. :)

heeyeng

« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2002, 22:06 »
Same question - ever perchance tried using the left channel of the amp to drive the right speaker, while maintaining the correct stereo ?

Oh yes, I've tried that. In fact I use one ear close to the speakers to identify the sound.