Author Topic: Audyssey on Multiqt xt 32 and subeqHT level matching at 75dB  (Read 2565 times)

Offline sypderman88

• Trade Count: (0)
Hi,

Need help on this. I am running 7.2.4 and after completing the audyssey auto calibration, I tried to verify the level of each speaker by using SPL meter dB C weighted measurement, set AVR volume to 0dB and internal pink noise test of AVR
 Instead of expected 75dB ( C-weighted), using SPL meter result as follows
1) LCR is  78dB
2) Surround back and surround side is 77dB
3) All four ceiling speakers are 79dB
4)) Both subsa are 65dB

Do I need to adjust speaker level TRIM manually till all speakers and sub reach 75dB using AVR builtin pink noise and the SPL meter?
 Thanks
 K

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Bring the "Cinema experience" back home...
Hi,

Need help on this. I am running 7.2.4 and after completing the audyssey auto calibration, I tried to verify the level of each speaker by using SPL meter dB C weighted measurement, set AVR volume to 0dB and internal pink noise test of AVR
 Instead of expected 75dB ( C-weighted), using SPL meter result as follows
1) LCR is  78dB
2) Surround back and surround side is 77dB
3) All four ceiling speakers are 79dB
4)) Both subsa are 65dB

Do I need to adjust speaker level TRIM manually till all speakers and sub reach 75dB using AVR builtin pink noise and the SPL meter?
 Thanks
 K

No. You do not need to do anything.

Sent using my LG Stylus 2 Plus

Offline sypderman88

thanks bro!

Offline mutant

Hmm.. if using a  more accurate (calibrated) mic for the SPL meter, why shouldn't we fine tune the speaker level trim to match the meter?

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

Offline Jag

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
Audyssey doesn't correct AVR's pink noise.
Electronics : Denon 7200, MiniDSP Dirac 88A, Emotiva XPA-5 Gen2
ATMOS Audio : Martin Logan Ethos (L&R), ML Motif X(C), ML Motion 4 (14pcs surround spkrs)
LFE : Dual Rythmik FV25HP & Crowson Motion Actuator
Video : Sony VPL-HW55ES, Stewart Screen Studiotek 1.3
Source : HTPC
Fully automated HT via Alexa, Z-wave and Logitech Harmony Remote Control

Offline 2willow

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Snr Member
No. You do not need to do anything.

Sent using my LG Stylus 2 Plus

Is this a practical recommendation (ie cos the difference is insignificant) or a theoretical recommendation (ie by right it is supposed to be like this)?

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
To: mutant and 2willow, what you are asking is whether to follow the so-called "best practices" in the past as suggested by many members here (including myself in the past when I am still grappling to understand Audyssey) to use a dedicated "SPL meter" to check on the sound pressure level to ensure ALL the speakers in the array sport the SAME sound pressure level using the "Slow/C-weightage" from the main listening position (MPL). Of course, there is "no" wrong of anyone who wish to "check" to ensure that the SPL for ALL the speakers (including the subwoofer) will be uniform at say (75db). This is what calibration, regardless whether it is Audyssey, YPAO, AccuEQ, McACC etc set out to do. The issue here is you will get varying degree of deviation in your readings depending on whether you are using the pink noise generated by the AVR versus a different source like AVIA or DVE test tones. What this mean is the SPL is a relative terms - contingent on the "source" of the pink noise generated and also not forgetting the sensitivity of the "third-party mic" versus the stock Audyssey mic which has been "pre-calibrated" against a set of "reference" results so that the "averaging" of the results can produce more accurate and meaningful datasets during the computation phase.

ALSO let's not forget that when the pink noise is generated during the Audyssey calibration phase, it is in fact DIFFERENT from the post-Audyssey phase when you decide to do a check with a dedicated SPL meter as Audyssey is now "engaged" with all the correction filters set in place and this will "alter" the readings too...

The point here is as long as there are various external variables at play, there is really no way to say definitively whether to follow the pink noise generated by the AVR or using a dedicated AVIA/AVE test tone in order to get accurate readings of 75db. It is "relative"...if it is the case, then there is no issue if user decide to just stick with the default sound pressure levels (SPL) set by the Audyssey. And also don't forget that it is also harder to "check" and adjust the trim levels for LFE from the subwoofer as the "tone" generated by the subwoofer is omni-directional and posed a challenge for even the most capable mic to pick up and give a proper and accurate readings. It is better to leave the trim values at its original state (after Audyssey calibration).

Hope this explains my rather terse initial response to spyder.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2016, 15:58 by desray »

Offline whitesox

To: mutant and 2willow, what you are asking is whether to follow the so-called "best practices" in the past as suggested by many members here (including myself in the past when I am still grappling to understand Audyssey) to use a dedicated "SPL meter" to check on the sound pressure level to ensure ALL the speakers in the array sport the SAME sound pressure level using the "Slow/C-weightage" from the main listening position (MPL). Of course, there is "no" wrong of anyone who wish to "check" to ensure that the SPL for ALL the speakers (including the subwoofer) will be uniform at say (75db). This is what calibration, regardless whether it is Audyssey, YPAO, AccuEQ, McACC etc set out to do. The issue here is you will get varying degree of deviation in your readings depending on whether you are using the pink noise generated by the AVR versus a different source like AVIA or DVE test tones. What this mean is the SPL is a relative terms - contingent on the "source" of the pink noise generated and also not forgetting the sensitivity of the "third-party mic" versus the stock Audyssey mic which has been "pre-calibrated" against a set of "reference" results so that the "averaging" of the results can produce more accurate and meaningful datasets during the computation phase.

ALSO let's not forget that when the pink noise is generated during the Audyssey calibration phase, it is in fact DIFFERENT from the post-Audyssey phase when you decide to do a check with a dedicated SPL meter as Audyssey is now "engaged" with all the correction filters set in place and this will "alter" the readings too...

The point here is as long as there are various external variables at play, there is really no way to say definitively whether to follow the pink noise generated by the AVR or using a dedicated AVIA/AVE test tone in order to get accurate readings of 75db. It is "relative"...if it is the case, then there is no issue if user decide to just stick with the default sound pressure levels (SPL) set by the Audyssey. And also don't forget that it is also harder to "check" and adjust the trim levels for LFE from the subwoofer as the "tone" generated by the subwoofer is omni-directional and posed a challenge for even the most capable mic to pick up and give a proper and accurate readings. It is better to leave the trim values at its original state (after Audyssey calibration).

Hope this explains my rather terse initial response to spyder.

+1
Each of spl meter (different brand) has built in microphone (can be MEMS or electret type) which also carry different sensitivity response for each frequencies that's why you might not get the same number of 75db out from Audy's result.

So what you need to know during fine tune is to make sure get the same number for each channels before
you can add few db according to your liking.
 :)
« Last Edit: July 01, 2016, 16:29 by whitesox »

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
+1
Each of spl meter (different brand) has built in microphone (can be MEMS or electret type) which also carry different sensitivity response for each frequencies that's why you might not get the same number of 75db out
from Audy's result.

So what you need to know during fine tune is to make sure get the same number for each channels before

Finally someone understand what I am trying to say here...

Offline wongkahkui

• Snr Member
+1
Each of spl meter (different brand) has built in microphone (can be MEMS or electret type) which also carry different sensitivity response for each frequencies that's why you might not get the same number of 75db out from Audy's result.

+1

whitesox...you learnt well. Your setup must be very well sound now, must visit one day  :)

Offline mutant

Re: Audyssey on Multiqt xt 32 and subeqHT level matching at 75dB
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2016, 23:10 »
Thanx Desray for the detailed explanation. Appreciated it.
Thumbs up!

Offline whitesox

« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2016, 12:20 »
+1

whitesox...you learnt well. Your setup must be very well sound now, must visit one day  :)

I am still learning bro from more experiences brothers here in order to improve my setup (especially on subwoofer).
You are welcome to visit me anytime on weekend so we can continue exchange opinions.
You can just WA bro...

Hear from you soon about your renovation
« Last Edit: July 02, 2016, 12:24 by whitesox »

Offline 2willow

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Snr Member
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2016, 14:19 »
eh no offense meant to desray or anyone here pls...  :) :) :) 

so basically, while there is an ideal construct (matching SPL etc), practically, it is not possible given so many variables in the real world.  hence, the advice to just leave it after the calibration  :) :) :)

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2016, 22:55 »
eh no offense meant to desray or anyone here pls...  :) :) :) 

so basically, while there is an ideal construct (matching SPL etc), practically, it is not possible given so many variables in the real world.  hence, the advice to just leave it after the calibration  :) :) :)

The most important thing is to ask yourself this question, "What are you trying to achieve?". Levels produced at 75db, 80db or even 85db is a relative number. The underlying principle is to get the speakers to produce equal SPL, including the subwoofer. Hence, there is no right or wrong if you choose to leave it after the Audyssey calibration OR if you decide to re-check your SPL of all the speakers (including the subwoofer) to ensure it is churning out at 75db. If you wish to make adjustments to the trim levels (i.e. Levels settings), you may do so.

« Last Edit: July 04, 2016, 23:03 by desray »

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2019, 07:21 »
I’m upping this 3 yrs old thread because a member recently asked me about the difference in SPL reading after Audyssey calibration and why the subwoofer reading is so much different from the rest of the speakers?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk