Author Topic: Help me identify source of interference (RFI?)  (Read 17222 times)

Offline ptjw

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Help me identify source of interference (RFI?)
« Reply #30 on: February 25, 2016, 22:30 »
And of course, phono amp build by me is guranteed to be free from any of these symptoms

thanks, but I'm quite sure after extensive tests that the phono amp is not the cause of this.. by the process of elimination I'm very sure it is from the turntable..

I have exactly the same issue and am staying in Jurong West area. It can be quite irritating and it robs off the pleasure of listening.

it seems this problem is more common than I thought.. something powerful being transmitted.. or something common that some estates are transmitting..

Offline nimo

« Reply #31 on: February 26, 2016, 05:57 »
i do have the same problem when playing tunrtalbe , me at Yishun.
what i noticed that it happen after upgraded a new life outside my block , nothing change to my hifi system.
during the troubleshooting what i find out i cant use MM cartridge it can pickup the interference but MC cartridge all OK(with the same system)
so i suspect it came from the new upgraded life EMI.
I never managed to solve my issue with the EeeeeeEEEEEEeeeee sound too.
Mine started after they upgraded lifts, my unit is next to lift.
I couldn't be sure so try various swaps and replacement to see if i could eliminate that sound, obviously not.

Offline Vinylgeorgegiri

• Snr Member
« Reply #32 on: February 26, 2016, 06:57 »
I had a similar interference when i installed a home plug (internet) on the hi fi power line.
Sonus Faber Olympica III
Lumin D2 + Plixir DC Supply
Modwright PS36.5DM
Modwright KWA 150SE x 2
Oppo 105 fully modified + Plixir DC Power
Jolida P9 Phono modified
Clearaudio Performance DC + Ortofon Cadenza Bronze

Offline ptjw

« Reply #33 on: February 26, 2016, 08:20 »
I never managed to solve my issue with the EeeeeeEEEEEEeeeee sound too.
Mine started after they upgraded lifts, my unit is next to lift.

I'm beginning to see a trend here.. a few users also mentioned the noise started after lift upgrading.. my main door is only maybe 5 meters from the two lifts in my block.. uh oh..  ;D

for everyone else that suffers from this problem, are you staying in a hdb with a lift outside/nearby?

Offline Chowbotak

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Eternal Hostility against Tyranny
« Reply #34 on: February 26, 2016, 08:46 »
Jurong West resident checking in but tats beside the point I think. I used to get this eeee sound too. Mine was due to the dirty rca inputs on my phono amp. After my guru cleaned them with Deoxit Gold, it's total silence now!
I buy hifi to suit my music, not buy music to suit my hifi.

Offline ptjw

« Reply #35 on: February 26, 2016, 09:29 »
Just a wild guess.. may be a good next step to look nearby neons and inside your TT to examine any neon bulbs, aged led drivers, aged led indicators, re-wet possible dry solder joints, the likes. Wish you well.

Jurong West resident checking in but tats beside the point I think. I used to get this eeee sound too. Mine was due to the dirty rca inputs on my phono amp. After my guru cleaned them with Deoxit Gold, it's total silence now!

i vaguely recall reading on one of the many number of forums someone saying that oxidized contacts might act as a antenna/demodulator for RF signals, he was actually receiving actual FM radio (music + voices) instead of the high pitched whine we all hear and after cleaning the contacts it was better.. i did consider that as one of the possibilities but after a visual inspection my RCA plugs are clean.. might even be a dry solder on the circuit board so i could retouch all the joints to make sure (a lot of work though)  :P

my turntable location in my previous house was far away from the lift, and absolutely silent..

Offline jerome_the_lang

« Reply #36 on: February 26, 2016, 10:40 »
I'm going to sleep in the kitchen from tonite - to be as far away from the lift as possible.

::)

Many thanks to the mods for continuing to tolerate all my expressive vulgarisms and harassment of fellow forumers...

Offline Hass

« Reply #37 on: February 26, 2016, 10:43 »
no wonder new developments have the bedrooms furthest away from house entrance & lifts. In fact my kitchen is the closest to my lift. I think it shares a common wall!

Offline jerome_the_lang

« Reply #38 on: February 26, 2016, 12:27 »

Another reason to steer clear of lifts.....

It's a hotbed for people who fancy themselves winning these awards.

Some practice this skill each time they enter now.

::)

Many thanks to the mods for continuing to tolerate all my expressive vulgarisms and harassment of fellow forumers...

Offline transmat

• Trade Count: (+1)
« Reply #39 on: February 26, 2016, 12:53 »
I'm beginning to see a trend here.. a few users also mentioned the noise started after lift upgrading.. my main door is only maybe 5 meters from the two lifts in my block.. uh oh..  ;D

for everyone else that suffers from this problem, are you staying in a hdb with a lift outside/nearby?

I'm staying in a point block so it's very close to the lift. Come to think of it, it was after the lift upgrading program.

I bought the plixir conditioner a few months ago and the 'eeeee' sound is gone so all good.
Panasonic 65 GZ2000, NAD T778 V3,  Job225, Wyred4Sound MC7150, AppleTV 4K, Clearaudio Performance DC - Ortofon Quintet Black, Lehmann Blackcube SE II, ATC SCM40 v2, ATC C3C, Aerial Acoustics SR3, AG A’Divas, KK DXD808

Offline cody

« Reply #40 on: February 26, 2016, 17:08 »
if this really emitted from the upgraded new lift whatever EMI or RFI will it affect our health in long term?

Offline ahfat

• Snr Member
« Reply #41 on: February 28, 2016, 20:49 »
I'm thinking if this eeee sound. Will a isolated transformer helps to solve it

Offline ptjw

« Reply #42 on: June 10, 2016, 10:19 »
just some updates after many months of trying (and giving up just like everyone else who encountered this  ;)) :

wrapping the internal wiring of the turntable with aluminium foil definitely did reduce the volume of the interference, but it is definitely still there and audible when listening carefully...

something new that made me realize it is DEFINITELY interference from outside and not a problem with the turntable itself is that just a few days ago I was alone at home preparing my dinner in the kitchen and it was completely silent and I heard it.. the same eeee...EEEEEEE...eeeee sound that I've heard from my turntable so many times.. this time it was coming from the back of the microwave!!! I couldn't believe it and I put my ear to the microwave which was plugged into the power but not running and the same interference sound was definitely coming from it.

I turned off the power to the microwave and the interference sound went away.. I powered up my amplifier which was in the living room just 5m away from my kitchen and the sound was still there.. so the source is not the microwave but it is being picked up by both my microwave and turntable. Perhaps the EMI/RFI is picked up by the circuits in both of them.. what components are common in both microwaves and turntables? Transformers are one.. and magnets.. hmmm..

My microwave is even nearer to the lift which is just outside my main door.. I have to say after all the feedback here in this thread that I strongly believe the lift to be the cause of this interference.. my lift in my estate is made by IFE which is a Chinese company.. I had half a mind to drop them an email describing my problem but ultimately I didn't as I don't think anyone would lift a finger to fix something reported by one guy on his audio equipment  ::)

After reading a few reports regarding issues with malfunctioning lifts in the papers recently.. I wonder if they're made by IFE as well.. who knows maybe HDB would do something drastic and change all the lifts in HDBs to another brand like Hitachi and Fujitsu and maybe.. just maybe.. this problem would go away..

For those reporting the same sounds and issues as me, perhaps you can do a check on the brand of your lift and post it here to see if we have that in common.. also maybe those who live near to lifts in a HDB and don't have this problem can also do the same?  :)
« Last Edit: June 10, 2016, 10:21 by ptjw »

Offline cody

« Reply #43 on: June 13, 2016, 09:12 »
Yes my area after HDB upgraded all the life made by IFE.

I do have other finding like cassette walkman and CD discman running with battery also can pickup the same interference like my turntable eee...EEEEEEEE....eeeeee...EEE....
above all happen after a new life upgrraded outside my blk.

Offline francishuang

« Reply #44 on: June 13, 2016, 09:35 »
Any techical expert can help us explain  this phenomenon?
I am affected by it as well
Shindo is Music

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal