Author Topic: Sound proofing windows...any ideas  (Read 1436 times)

Offline 13CashewNuts

• Trade Count: (0)
Sound proofing windows...any ideas
« on: January 24, 2016, 15:41 »
Need some help here.

I'm living in an old condo apartment and hence replacing the windows to a casement type sound proof variety is out of the question. so other than installing a second inner window, are there any other options available in the market for soundproofing a room from external street noise? (eg. perhaps installing a large acrylic panel that is held by magnetic strips across the entire window structure to provide a temporary second layer that can be removed...)

Any ideas or thoughts appreciated. Thanks

Offline babu2301

Re: Sound proofing windows...any ideas
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2016, 15:46 »
You can replace the glass  with double walled glass which has a space in between the glass.
So its a totally perfect insulator of sound. 

Offline Tiktokape

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Nothing to compare, be happy and enjoy while alive
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2016, 15:59 »
Are those glasses expensive to replace? My unit is along the main road, due to slight low level, can be noisy at times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline 13CashewNuts

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2016, 16:06 »
You can replace the glass  with double walled glass which has a space in between the glass.
So its a totally perfect insulator of sound. 

Good idea but the issue is that I have sliding windows now. So replacing the glass does not solve the issue as the gaps between the sliding panels leak sounds. I've tried placing sound tape but does not work at all. I've been told that sliding windows are not the best to block sound
« Last Edit: January 24, 2016, 16:14 by 13CashewNuts »

Offline Hass

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2016, 17:07 »
There are sliding windows n doors that are fairly soundproof. Very common in hotels. Perhaps only concern is costs

Offline wizardofoz

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • Dont take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2016, 20:49 »
I used 8mm glass instead of the normal 6 and a free for each pane to lock on (not 2 windows in one opening)

can also consider www.glasscurtains.co as they also do nice double glazed and fully open option with no frames. The Shu/Jean that Paul at sunset send you :P
I have a pile of stuff that pushes out squiggly waveforms from smaller squiggly waveforms that sometimes come from 1's and 0's.
It's wonderful to behold as long as you don't let the magic smoke out.

Life is short! Enjoy the music while it plays, when it stops, there might be a chair for you...or  maybe not.

Offline 13CashewNuts

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2016, 21:02 »
I used 8mm glass instead of the normal 6 and a free for each pane to lock on (not 2 windows in one opening)
can also consider www.glasscurtains.co as they also do nice double glazed and fully open option with no frames. The Shu/Jean that Paul at sunset send you :P

I'll do that. Not sure if they can do it in a small room but certainly looks interesting!

Thanks

Offline wizardofoz

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • Dont take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2016, 21:14 »

Typo in bold and make sure you get good frames and hinges especially if the windows are large as 8mm glass is 33% heavier.

I used 8mm glass instead of the normal 6 and a frame for each pane to lock on (not 2 windows in one opening)

I have a pile of stuff that pushes out squiggly waveforms from smaller squiggly waveforms that sometimes come from 1's and 0's.
It's wonderful to behold as long as you don't let the magic smoke out.

Life is short! Enjoy the music while it plays, when it stops, there might be a chair for you...or  maybe not.

Offline mutant

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2016, 00:23 »
Are those glasses expensive to replace? My unit is along the main road, due to slight low level, can be noisy at times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Me oso same level. For me, the most irritating noise are the fighter jets..