Author Topic: FTP from offshore server to my home NAS - Low Speed  (Read 1630 times)

Offline DizzyD

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • I am a HTphile !
FTP from offshore server to my home NAS - Low Speed
« on: January 21, 2016, 09:54 »
Hi Bros

I am trying out FTP for the first time and wanting to download a file from offshore server to my local Synology NAS.

The offshore server has 1 Gbps transmission speed and I am on my republic 1Gbps plan as well.

I have tried both Filezilla and CuteFTP (Trial) on my Macbook to do the FTP.

I dragged the files from offshore location to my NAS folder in the FTP programs but the speed of transfer is around 50 KiB/s which is not even 1 Mbit/s.

I did not do any special configuration in Filezilla and CuteFtp and wondering is there anything special I need to do here.

Also does the DL goes into my Mac first before going to the NAS folder by using Filezilla and Cute?

Thx for helping. 
Main Rig: Mit HC7900DW II Cyrus 92" II Onkyo NR818 II Oppo 103D II JL E112 II Sony PS3 II Wyred4Sound DAC2 DSD II Wyred4Sound MC3 II MacMini II Dynaudio Focus 220MkII 200C II Antimode 8033 II NHT Monitor II

Offline Tiktokape

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Nothing to compare, be happy and enjoy while alive
Re: FTP from offshore server to my home NAS - Low Speed
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2016, 10:18 »
I'm using FileZilla to download from offshore server to onshore desktop/onshore NAS passthrough via network drive. I'm able to achieve up to 20mb/s. I did nothing in FileZilla configuration but I'm using SFTP. Make sure the port for your offshore server is opened in your router.

Offline DizzyD

• I am a HTphile !
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2016, 10:24 »
Open port in ASUS router that MR installed for me?

How to open port? I only know how to open wine ;D
Main Rig: Mit HC7900DW II Cyrus 92" II Onkyo NR818 II Oppo 103D II JL E112 II Sony PS3 II Wyred4Sound DAC2 DSD II Wyred4Sound MC3 II MacMini II Dynaudio Focus 220MkII 200C II Antimode 8033 II NHT Monitor II

Offline landis1

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2016, 10:27 »
sftp does not hasten the speed. in fact, with encryption, it slows it down with the larger payload. the fast speed you achieve could be a good connection you are getting.

actually there is nothing you can do when it comes to ftp from offshore server. you are at the mercy of the connections and latencies along the way

of course i am writing from a layman's point of view ;D

Offline Tiktokape

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Nothing to compare, be happy and enjoy while alive
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2016, 10:43 »
Open port in ASUS router that MR installed for me?

How to open port? I only know how to open wine ;D
Model of your asus router? Okie, how i do mine, I assigned static ip address for my desktop, assigned port forwarding in my Asus router for my desktop ip address.

sftp does not hasten the speed. in fact, with encryption, it slows it down with the larger payload. the fast speed you achieve could be a good connection you are getting.

actually there is nothing you can do when it comes to ftp from offshore server. you are at the mercy of the connections and latencies along the way

of course i am writing from a layman's point of view ;D
Yeah, I used SFTP for encryption purposes  :P Normally I can achieve good speed so I'm not complaining as opposed in FTP.

Offline Audio

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2016, 10:53 »
Why do you use the word "offshore"?

(Audio)

Offline Sunblock

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2016, 12:38 »
Suggest that you contact "offshore server" to suggest their recommended ftp client ...

If you are using Filezilla ver 3.14.1 and i am assuming that you are,

1) Start FileZilla, and from the File menu choose “Site Manager…”
2) Click on “New Site” button and type in a descriptive site name (in this example “IT Docs” is used)
3) In the “Host:” box type in the IP address of the "0ffshore server"
4) In the “Protocol:” drop-down choose: FTP or SFTP – SSH File Transfer Protocol. if SFTP, just click to bypass proxy in "Ädvanced" menu
5) In the “Logon Type” area choose: normal
6) In the “User” box input your FTP account username and password
7) Click on the “Connect” button to test your FTP connection

Have Fun ...
« Last Edit: January 21, 2016, 13:15 by Sunblock »

Offline DizzyD

• I am a HTphile !
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2016, 22:13 »
Bros

For port forwarding what should i fill in asus page pls?

Service Name   Port Range        Local IP   Local Port         Protocol   

Thx

Offline Sunblock

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2016, 18:07 »
Bros

For port forwarding what should i fill in asus page pls?

Service Name   Port Range        Local IP   Local Port         Protocol   

Thx

IMHO, An FTP client shouldn't need any port forwarding but an FTP server would. Reason because the client is connecting to the server --- the server isn't connecting to the client.
In short, if you are having slow download speed , you may want to increase the settings for simultaneous transfer ... max 10 concurrent transfer for Filezilla --- and hopefully it helps but there is no guarantee. There are too many parts of the equation determining the speed.

You many want to turn off the firewall or at min setting just to try. No harm imo because your computer is still protected because a router is a hardware based firewall already and the other options just to better control things if needed. ;)

Personally, Port forwarding is for a router (ftp server) taking a internet connection and routes it to multiple computers (hence the name router).
Taking a step forward. when someone tries to connect to your computer from the internet the router sees the connection and looks at the port forwarding rule on which computer to send the connection to. If there is no rule the connection is dropped. This is also why routers help protect people on the net. It keeps people, hackers, viruses anything really from connecting to your system on any port they wish.

So when you put in a new port forwarding rule you are simply telling the router what to do with the incoming connection, that's all there is to it. :-)

That's why port forwarding is needed when you are using a program on your computer that accepts incoming connections. Otherwise the router doesn't know what to do and just kicks the connection.

That's it, what port forwarding is in a nutshell.

Hope this info helps.

Offline wizardofoz

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • Dont take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2016, 19:32 »
Some nas have a firewall rules updating function...at least my synology does but not sure if it specifically does FTP rules

Synology NAS device is on a local area network, other devices on the Internet cannot connect to it. You can set up port forwarding rules at Control Pane l External Access > Router Configuration to make your Synology NAS device accessible over the Internet.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2016, 16:31 by wizardofoz »
I have a pile of stuff that pushes out squiggly waveforms from smaller squiggly waveforms that sometimes come from 1's and 0's.
It's wonderful to behold as long as you don't let the magic smoke out.

Life is short! Enjoy the music while it plays, when it stops, there might be a chair for you...or  maybe not.

Offline Indising

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2016, 22:13 »
Unless you plan to host an FTP server at your home, you don't need to configure port forwarding/mapping. Your requirement seems to be just to download files from an FTP server, unless i read it wrong.

FTP is a legacy protocol and is best if you can stay away from it. SFTP is a good alternative, despite of the encryption.

FTP is not good friend of NAT. If MR allocates you private range iP, then there could be an additional NAT which might make it worse.

if FTP is your only option, you can try passive mode. One more thing you can try .....different browsers to see if you get better speeds. command prompt is also an option. You can google for ftp commands for windows or mac.

HTH

Offline wizardofoz

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • Dont take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2016, 16:37 »
GB ports at either end don't mean squat unless you have guaranteed throughput that is the same all the way through, even then propagation delays will also slow things down too.

if there is just one link in the route that is slow or congested then it doesn't matter what the end points capabilities are. Think of it like plumbing the smallest hose limits what's getting out the pipe...even if the other end is a lake.

see http://cisconet.com/traffic-analysis/traffic-analysis-general/239-internet-speed-issue-throughput-vs-bandwidth.html
I have a pile of stuff that pushes out squiggly waveforms from smaller squiggly waveforms that sometimes come from 1's and 0's.
It's wonderful to behold as long as you don't let the magic smoke out.

Life is short! Enjoy the music while it plays, when it stops, there might be a chair for you...or  maybe not.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal